Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
anyone run a summertime car? 22:30 - Jul 1 with 4553 viewssparks

Getting way too jealous of people with soft tops. Tempted by a cheap old mx5 for the summer months. Shouldn't cost too much. Should it? Worthwhile?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

anyone run a summertime car? on 22:31 - Jul 1 with 3785 viewsSpruceMoose

Does a bike, or tanned muscular legs count?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

anyone run a summertime car? on 22:37 - Jul 1 with 3769 viewstcblue

Mid life crisis, bully?
anyone run a summertime car? on 22:40 - Jul 1 with 3754 viewsSpruceMoose

anyone run a summertime car? on 22:37 - Jul 1 by tcblue

Mid life crisis, bully?

Impotence will do that to a man. #prayforbully

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

anyone run a summertime car? on 22:40 - Jul 1 with 3761 viewsNewcyBlue

A few pointers for looking at used cars

-Open the bonnet when you get there. Have a feel of the radiator hose. If it is hot they may have run the car up to cover up cold start problems, engine noises, etc
-Look for any oil on the engine block, pull the dipstick out and check the colour of the oil. Open the oil filler cap and see if there is any sludge / mayonnaise looking stuff. The mayonnaise stuff may just be condensation, or it may be something more sinister.
-When starting the car look for excessive exhaust fumes, different coloured smoke means different things.
-Bodywork, is it all the same colour. Does any of the paint look like orange peel? The orange peel effect is from a poor paintjob, and could be a sign of a previous accident.
-Are there any differing gaps between any of the panels? Does it look the same on both sides?
-Are the door and window seals in tact?
-Check to see all warning lights come on when turning the ignition on, ensure they extinguish upon starting the engine.
-Does the clutch feel ok? Is there any noise at any point of depressing the clutch pedal?
-When driving is there any excessive play in the steering? Do the brakes work adequately? Are there any unusual noises? Does the steering wobble at speed or under heavy braking? When braking does the car pull to one side?
-Check all equipment is working, lights, wipers, washers, ventilation, windows, mirrors, central locking.
-Check the wheels and tyres. Are locking wheel nuts fitted? If so is the locking wheel nut key with the car?. Check the tread on the tyres. Check the sidewall for bulges
-Paperwork, check service history. Anything 60k plus and you want to be checking if the cambelt has been changed. Check the V5C for spelling mistakes, does the address match the one of the seller. Is the seller the registered keeper? If not, why?

Hope that can help. MX5s are fairly bulletproof fun little cars.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

anyone run a summertime car? on 22:40 - Jul 1 with 3756 viewssparks

anyone run a summertime car? on 22:37 - Jul 1 by tcblue

Mid life crisis, bully?

Nope. Just the very pleasant prospect of top down driving through somerset lanes.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

anyone run a summertime car? on 22:42 - Jul 1 with 3744 viewsSpruceMoose

anyone run a summertime car? on 22:40 - Jul 1 by sparks

Nope. Just the very pleasant prospect of top down driving through somerset lanes.

When you put it like that it does seem rather marvelous, and somewhat Lovejoy-esque.

anyone run a summertime car? on 22:49 - Jul 1 with 3719 viewsclive_baker

anyone run a summertime car? on 22:40 - Jul 1 by NewcyBlue

A few pointers for looking at used cars

-Open the bonnet when you get there. Have a feel of the radiator hose. If it is hot they may have run the car up to cover up cold start problems, engine noises, etc
-Look for any oil on the engine block, pull the dipstick out and check the colour of the oil. Open the oil filler cap and see if there is any sludge / mayonnaise looking stuff. The mayonnaise stuff may just be condensation, or it may be something more sinister.
-When starting the car look for excessive exhaust fumes, different coloured smoke means different things.
-Bodywork, is it all the same colour. Does any of the paint look like orange peel? The orange peel effect is from a poor paintjob, and could be a sign of a previous accident.
-Are there any differing gaps between any of the panels? Does it look the same on both sides?
-Are the door and window seals in tact?
-Check to see all warning lights come on when turning the ignition on, ensure they extinguish upon starting the engine.
-Does the clutch feel ok? Is there any noise at any point of depressing the clutch pedal?
-When driving is there any excessive play in the steering? Do the brakes work adequately? Are there any unusual noises? Does the steering wobble at speed or under heavy braking? When braking does the car pull to one side?
-Check all equipment is working, lights, wipers, washers, ventilation, windows, mirrors, central locking.
-Check the wheels and tyres. Are locking wheel nuts fitted? If so is the locking wheel nut key with the car?. Check the tread on the tyres. Check the sidewall for bulges
-Paperwork, check service history. Anything 60k plus and you want to be checking if the cambelt has been changed. Check the V5C for spelling mistakes, does the address match the one of the seller. Is the seller the registered keeper? If not, why?

Hope that can help. MX5s are fairly bulletproof fun little cars.

Bulletproof? Jeez, can tell you live up north!

Might want to look at a Z3 by the way. My mate just picked up a lovely example in British racing green for peanuts. Former Bond car no less. It’ll be a classic before too long.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

anyone run a summertime car? on 23:00 - Jul 1 with 3677 viewsbluejake78

Got a MGTF and bought a hardtop for it
I bloody love it and will run it all year.Cheap as chips and a car I will NEVER sell.
My car is a cool blue special edition 24k miles and 99% immaculate.
Just the best I have wasted £ on
Login to get fewer ads

anyone run a summertime car? on 23:27 - Jul 1 with 3606 viewsjeera

I have to say I like the idea of it.

But today I saw 3 in a short space of time and the only happy looking person was the driver.

All passengers looked windswept, hanging onto belongings and wiping off airborne insects.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

anyone run a summertime car? on 23:38 - Jul 1 with 3584 viewssparks

anyone run a summertime car? on 23:27 - Jul 1 by jeera

I have to say I like the idea of it.

But today I saw 3 in a short space of time and the only happy looking person was the driver.

All passengers looked windswept, hanging onto belongings and wiping off airborne insects.

Weekend runabout and commuting through the Mendips alone.

Z3 is a very nice idea. And not as unrealistic as I thought.

Airconned mazda 6 with all modcons the rest of the time.

Might be worth sale of 2 guitars.

anyone run a summertime car? on 23:43 - Jul 1 with 3566 viewsclive_baker

anyone run a summertime car? on 23:38 - Jul 1 by sparks

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201804275957152?advertising-locat

Not a bad shout something like this if you’ve got a couple of g kicking about. 90k on the clock. Can’t see this ever being worth less than it is now if looked after.

anyone run a summertime car? on 23:46 - Jul 1 with 3555 viewsnorth_stand77

I have had a little VW EOS for seven years and is my full time car.

It's lovely - best car I have had. Hard top convertible- just the job!
anyone run a summertime car? on 23:47 - Jul 1 with 3545 viewssparks

anyone run a summertime car? on 23:43 - Jul 1 by clive_baker

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201804275957152?advertising-locat

Not a bad shout something like this if you’ve got a couple of g kicking about. 90k on the clock. Can’t see this ever being worth less than it is now if looked after.

Been telling the wife that. Not impressed.

anyone run a summertime car? on 23:48 - Jul 1 with 3546 viewsLord_Lucan

My mates selling an MG TF for £1300 if you fancy having a look.

Essex

[Post edited 1 Jul 2018 23:55]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

anyone run a summertime car? on 00:02 - Jul 2 with 3511 viewsFoD_Blue

The Z3 is a great little car, and the prices for the basic 2.0 tend to be very reasonable. I used to have one, and I loved it. My only gripe with the one that I used to own was that the gearing was all wrong. It so desperately needed a sixth gear.
In my opinion, it is a much nicer looking car than an MX5, and something a little less common.
anyone run a summertime car? on 00:05 - Jul 2 with 3507 viewssparks

anyone run a summertime car? on 23:48 - Jul 1 by Lord_Lucan

Essex

Thanks but I think it's an mx5 or z3.

Used to have a silver mk1 mx5 and I miss it. Current car is very comfortable and sensible but I miss the mx5....

anyone run a summertime car? on 00:24 - Jul 2 with 3475 viewsclive_baker

anyone run a summertime car? on 23:48 - Jul 1 by Lord_Lucan

Essex

Why doesn’t the bonnet shut flush?

anyone run a summertime car? on 01:07 - Jul 2 with 3433 viewsGuthrum

Citroen 2CV or Dyane.

Not actually joking. Used to own one of the latter and it was great in summer, especially for pottering around lanes. You can fit a surprising amount in one of those, too.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

anyone run a summertime car? on 01:13 - Jul 2 with 3428 viewsNewcyBlue

anyone run a summertime car? on 01:07 - Jul 2 by Guthrum

Citroen 2CV or Dyane.

Not actually joking. Used to own one of the latter and it was great in summer, especially for pottering around lanes. You can fit a surprising amount in one of those, too.

Wasn’t the design brief for the 2CV that it must be able to drive across a ploughed field with a basket of eggs in the back, without breaking any of the eggs?

anyone run a summertime car? on 01:18 - Jul 2 with 3420 viewsjeera

anyone run a summertime car? on 01:13 - Jul 2 by NewcyBlue

Wasn’t the design brief for the 2CV that it must be able to drive across a ploughed field with a basket of eggs in the back, without breaking any of the eggs?

Always useful Newcers. Always useful.

anyone run a summertime car? on 01:30 - Jul 2 with 3418 viewsNewcyBlue

anyone run a summertime car? on 01:18 - Jul 2 by jeera

Always useful Newcers. Always useful.

I often find myself stuck in a ploughed field wishing I had a 2CV at my disposal.

Terrible place to go dogging those fields.... end up in the mud....

anyone run a summertime car? on 02:22 - Jul 2 with 3391 viewsjeera

There's always the Westfield:

anyone run a summertime car? on 07:53 - Jul 2 with 3165 viewsSaleAway

I run a mk3.5 MX-5 with a folding hard top as my all year round car. Its awesome... roof goes up or down in a few seconds. Depending on how tall you are, it might feel a bit windswept ( I'm a shade under 6 ft, and I find a cap makes it feel a bit more comfy, any shorter, and you'll be pretty well protected from buffeting.

if its only a summer time car, then you're probably good with a soft top, but for me, the security and comfort of the hard top was a no brainer ( I live in a manchester, so its sometimes wet, and I sometimes have to park it in less secure areas, where a soft top might prove a target to dickheads).

Haven't driven a Z3, but probably good fun. Z4 is probably more refined than the MX-5, but a lot less fun. I'd stay away from CC versions of standard cars... mate had a 206cc and it was godawful....

You won't regret it, although remember to keep some sun cream in your car... its possible to get very burnt on a decent drive if you're not careful :-)

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

anyone run a summertime car? on 08:02 - Jul 2 with 3146 viewsfergalsharkey

Pearl white 1969 mercedes pagoda with red leather.
Not quick a bit soft round the corners but a piece of automotive majesty.

Poll: Cook out?

anyone run a summertime car? on 08:10 - Jul 2 with 3130 viewsBluebell

I had a MX5 for many years and absolutely loved it.

It was only 2 years old when I bought it but in the end condensation started building up inside the car in the winter and every time I got in the seats and top were soaking wet. Great in the summer though.

We were having to run 3 cars at the time which worked out quite expensive with tax and insurance etc. as obviously you can only take one passenger and very often I have more than that in my car.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024