Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The ref tonight, honest thoughts......? 03:04 - Jul 4 with 5948 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

In one way I thought it was the hardest game of the tournament to ref, with those lot constantly in his face and cheating. Also credit got him to punish them for the penalty and not scared to book them either. On the other he seemed to want to even it up and give them free kicks for any 50/50 plus the Henderson booking when it was them delaying everything and getting in our players faces seems a joke. I don't know, I wasn't very impressed but thought he held his nerve at times as well. Tough game to ref for sure.
The ref tonight, honest thoughts......? on 03:27 - Jul 4 with 4493 viewsjeera

I thought he started off incredibly weak, and should have made his mark early on.

Instead, he chose to see if the game would settle on its own accord but when it didn't he stepped up a bit.

I thought there was a hint of the man behind the whistle when he was getting harassed and even some physical contact was going on, and he didn't shy away but actually put his foot down.

He could have been worse and like I say, grew into it. Shame he didn't begin the game the same way.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

The ref tonight, honest thoughts......? on 03:42 - Jul 4 with 4483 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I thought he had a good game.

Kept his head when the Colombians started kicking off after we scored, was assured and let the game flow when he could.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

(No subject) (n/t) on 04:29 - Jul 4 with 4464 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

The ref tonight, honest thoughts......? on 03:42 - Jul 4 by The_Romford_Blue

I thought he had a good game.

Kept his head when the Colombians started kicking off after we scored, was assured and let the game flow when he could.

The ref tonight, honest thoughts......? on 05:22 - Jul 4 with 4438 viewspowinswitch

A difficult match to referee, if you don’t take control, which he didn’t. If you allow players to delay a penalty by three minutes then you are not the authority you should be. It was not a bad performance but at this stage the refs should be spoken to about how they are in charge of proceedings and not the players.

He got through a tough game, and the World Cup got the right outcome.
The ref tonight, honest thoughts......? on 05:33 - Jul 4 with 4422 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

The ref tonight, honest thoughts......? on 05:22 - Jul 4 by powinswitch

A difficult match to referee, if you don’t take control, which he didn’t. If you allow players to delay a penalty by three minutes then you are not the authority you should be. It was not a bad performance but at this stage the refs should be spoken to about how they are in charge of proceedings and not the players.

He got through a tough game, and the World Cup got the right outcome.

They were really bad surrounding him. We kept our heads pretty much
The ref tonight, honest thoughts......? on 06:36 - Jul 4 with 4322 viewschristiand

Thought he appeared weak at times and allowed them to dictate with their antics. That spell prior to our penalty and soon after I thought the whole games was going to descend into chaos and a farce. Not taking anything away from him because it certainly could not have been easy to officiate, thankfully as the game wore on he seemed to regain some semblance of control.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

The ref tonight, honest thoughts......? on 07:05 - Jul 4 with 4235 viewsJon_456

DId appear weak but I felt he was more or less quite consistent.

We can moan about what should have been a red card but equally Henderson should have been set off too and as fans we want to see all 11 players on the pitch
The ref tonight, honest thoughts......? on 07:08 - Jul 4 with 4224 viewsSaleAway

I thought he made excellent decisions "in play".. pretty much got every call right. The only thing I would criticise him for is not stamping down on the players surrounding him... but to be fair to him, I don't think he let them influence him, and if he'd been strict we'd probably have ended up playing against 9 men, which isn't good for the game or the tournament. So all in all, I think Fifa will be pretty pleased with his performance

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Login to get fewer ads

The ref tonight, honest thoughts......? on 07:15 - Jul 4 with 4202 viewschristiand

The ref tonight, honest thoughts......? on 07:08 - Jul 4 by SaleAway

I thought he made excellent decisions "in play".. pretty much got every call right. The only thing I would criticise him for is not stamping down on the players surrounding him... but to be fair to him, I don't think he let them influence him, and if he'd been strict we'd probably have ended up playing against 9 men, which isn't good for the game or the tournament. So all in all, I think Fifa will be pretty pleased with his performance

That game was getting away from him at one point and was turning nasty, not convinced it was down to any strong officiating that turned it round either. If a player deserves to be sent off like the headbutt on Henderson, he goes. Doesn't matter if they are down to 10 or 9 men if they are not capable of controlling themselves and playing within the rules, otherwise it is pointless having them if we are keeping players on the pitch for the sake of it regardless of their antics.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

The ref tonight, honest thoughts......? on 07:34 - Jul 4 with 4142 viewsNo9

FIFA & national organisations have to take a feesh look at how games a ref'd
South America has always been a problem but VAR has brought new problems when the players hound the ref to look at the screen.
It needs to be that only the skipper can speak to the ref others get booked

Last nights ref showed patience to the point where the players started to take the pi$$
The ref tonight, honest thoughts......? on 07:38 - Jul 4 with 4124 viewsHerbivore

I thought he was a clown. He didn't take control at all in the first half and by the second half the game had totally got away from him. He tried to reassert control with a load of yellow cards then eased off when he realised he was on course to send about three players off at the rate he was going. How he allowed the Colombia players to harass him for over 3 minutes whilst Kane was waiting to take his (absolutely stone wall) penalty is beyond me, and to only book Henderson in that chaos? Nah bruv.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The ref tonight, honest thoughts......? on 07:42 - Jul 4 with 4109 viewsNo9

The ref tonight, honest thoughts......? on 07:38 - Jul 4 by Herbivore

I thought he was a clown. He didn't take control at all in the first half and by the second half the game had totally got away from him. He tried to reassert control with a load of yellow cards then eased off when he realised he was on course to send about three players off at the rate he was going. How he allowed the Colombia players to harass him for over 3 minutes whilst Kane was waiting to take his (absolutely stone wall) penalty is beyond me, and to only book Henderson in that chaos? Nah bruv.

South American teams are notorioulsy bad to ref'
They play psychological games in the first half to get their opponents to bite and lose their temper than they sttle down to play a demoralised and often badly treated opponent

Nothing new been going on for years - remember Argentina '66?
The ref tonight, honest thoughts......? on 07:45 - Jul 4 with 4090 viewsHerbivore

The ref tonight, honest thoughts......? on 07:42 - Jul 4 by No9

South American teams are notorioulsy bad to ref'
They play psychological games in the first half to get their opponents to bite and lose their temper than they sttle down to play a demoralised and often badly treated opponent

Nothing new been going on for years - remember Argentina '66?

No, that was 15 years before I was born.

The ref tonight, honest thoughts......? on 07:48 - Jul 4 with 4081 viewsNo9

The ref tonight, honest thoughts......? on 07:45 - Jul 4 by Herbivore

No, that was 15 years before I was born.

Well, in that case you can watch the England V Argentine game and read the many considerations Sir Alf had about South American football & their players.

Was Gordn Banks food deliberately spiked?
Don't believe for one moment the 'hand of God' was an isolated incident.
The ref tonight, honest thoughts......? on 07:55 - Jul 4 with 4051 viewsHerbivore

The ref tonight, honest thoughts......? on 07:48 - Jul 4 by No9

Well, in that case you can watch the England V Argentine game and read the many considerations Sir Alf had about South American football & their players.

Was Gordn Banks food deliberately spiked?
Don't believe for one moment the 'hand of God' was an isolated incident.

The game has moved on quite a lot in 50 years, the kind of tackles Pele was subjected to in '66 wouldn't be tolerated now for example. Clearly some South American teams still engage in gamesmanship but a strong ref would have clamped down on it sooner.

The ref tonight, honest thoughts......? on 08:05 - Jul 4 with 4009 viewsMarkP1

He was weak throughout allowing the Colombians way too much licence to break up the game around every major decision. Barrios should have walked for the headbutt but he also should have had a 2nd yellow in the second half for persistent fouling but the ref bottled it. Henderson was rightly booked in the penalty fracas but again he let the Colombians get away with murder during those 3 minutes.

Yes hard to ref but as others have said if he’d cracked down earlier it may not have been. All in all for me he was shocking.
The ref tonight, honest thoughts......? on 08:09 - Jul 4 with 3978 viewsNo9

The ref tonight, honest thoughts......? on 07:55 - Jul 4 by Herbivore

The game has moved on quite a lot in 50 years, the kind of tackles Pele was subjected to in '66 wouldn't be tolerated now for example. Clearly some South American teams still engage in gamesmanship but a strong ref would have clamped down on it sooner.

The game outside of South American teams has moved on.

There is little or no difference to their approach than there was years ago.

Pele was never subjected to any worse treatment than many other quality players - which is no excuse anyway.

As you don't seem to know Sir Alf called the Argentinians 'animal's & stopped the England players exchanging shirts

The only thing that has really changed in South American football is that ref's don't get shot so often now & losing players don't get executed by gangs
The ref tonight, honest thoughts......? on 08:13 - Jul 4 with 3964 viewsgosblue

I thought he did ok in a difficult match. Henderson’s theatrics stopped the player getting sent off not the ref. For the penalty, a more experienced captain would have taken his players away from the mellay. The ref in those circumstances should have been able to move away and calmly deal with the situation, even going to see VAR to diffuse the situation if necessary. But because there were two lots of players together in a volatile situation, he had to deal with that. Overall, a fair result Maguire MOM by a long way.
The ref tonight, honest thoughts......? on 08:26 - Jul 4 with 3931 viewsPinewoodblue

In this World Cup refereeing seems to include protecting the image of the game. Can you imagine what would have happened if, in the red card incident, the referee had gone over and looked himself using VAR and how Colombian players. And management, would have reacted to a red?

A yellow was the only way to avoid a serious problem.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

The ref tonight, honest thoughts......? on 08:32 - Jul 4 with 3919 viewsFrimleyBlue

Personally im split

On one hand i felt he dealt with the fouls quite well

But no excuse for the yellow card not red
How can a player be allowed to celebrate for 5 minutes
The freekick that ended up with their goal began 10 yards further forward than it should have been
Before our pen he should have booked more for how in his face they were.

Tough match for a ref. But i think he needed to do more

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

The ref tonight, honest thoughts......? on 08:32 - Jul 4 with 3918 viewsGlebeTractor

In what was a tough game, I thought he did well, I can only assume that he probably has never have a game like it as he officiates in the MLS.

However; VAR didn't help him much last night, he should have been told to go and watch the screen for the headbutt on Henderson.

Also, during the penalty, the players making marks/scuffing up the penalty spot should have been cautioned for unsporting behavior.

"A player who makes unauthorised marks on the field of play must be cautioned for unsporting behaviour. If the referee notices this being done during the match, the player is cautioned when the ball next goes out of play."

But VAR should have picked that up.
[Post edited 4 Jul 2018 8:33]

Poll: Was that the worst game you've been to? If not, what was?

The ref tonight, honest thoughts......? on 08:37 - Jul 4 with 3886 viewsHerbivore

The ref tonight, honest thoughts......? on 08:09 - Jul 4 by No9

The game outside of South American teams has moved on.

There is little or no difference to their approach than there was years ago.

Pele was never subjected to any worse treatment than many other quality players - which is no excuse anyway.

As you don't seem to know Sir Alf called the Argentinians 'animal's & stopped the England players exchanging shirts

The only thing that has really changed in South American football is that ref's don't get shot so often now & losing players don't get executed by gangs

Oh I know that about Sir Alf but I try not to dwell on the fact that he was a bit racist.

The ref tonight, honest thoughts......? on 09:01 - Jul 4 with 3802 viewsNo9

The ref tonight, honest thoughts......? on 08:37 - Jul 4 by Herbivore

Oh I know that about Sir Alf but I try not to dwell on the fact that he was a bit racist.

It's probably a case of selective reading and watching -
Maybe you should swot up on a few other facts?
The ref tonight, honest thoughts......? on 09:07 - Jul 4 with 3770 viewsPinewoodblue

The ref tonight, honest thoughts......? on 09:01 - Jul 4 by No9

It's probably a case of selective reading and watching -
Maybe you should swot up on a few other facts?

It's an age thing.

PS he will down vote me as well.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

The ref tonight, honest thoughts......? on 09:25 - Jul 4 with 3744 viewsRegencyBlue

I thought he was on the verge of losing control of it a couple of times.

He certainly bottled the head butt incident. Either its a red or it didnt happen. If he accepts it happened, and why else give a yellow, then its a red. He should have looked at the VAR footage himself.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024