Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jogging tips.. 20:45 - Jul 4 with 4025 viewsSwailsey

Good to lose weight?
Good for the mind?
Tips for urban running newbie?

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Jogging tips.. on 20:46 - Jul 4 with 3493 viewsDubtractor

Do shuttle runs up and down Devonshire Road.

You'll be in decent shape in no time.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Jogging tips.. on 20:47 - Jul 4 with 3492 viewsPJH

Be careful when you cross a road.
Jogging tips.. on 20:49 - Jul 4 with 3479 viewsfooters

Don't do it during rush hour. It's a pavement not your fecking gym.

Just airing my annoyance here.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Jogging tips.. on 20:55 - Jul 4 with 3435 viewsdusseldorf_blue

Don‘t jog in the woods in Russia, you may dislocate your shoulder
Jogging tips.. on 21:18 - Jul 4 with 3376 viewsitfcjoe

Yes.

Yes, I find so although am fortunate to not suffer any mental health issues - but does clear my head after work etc

I find running with podcasts better, as can still hear traffic which music sometimes distorts. Start with a programme like Couch to 5k to build up at a manageable level and speed. Find a flat route if possible.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Jogging tips.. on 21:27 - Jul 4 with 3346 viewsPJH

Jogging tips.. on 21:18 - Jul 4 by itfcjoe

Yes.

Yes, I find so although am fortunate to not suffer any mental health issues - but does clear my head after work etc

I find running with podcasts better, as can still hear traffic which music sometimes distorts. Start with a programme like Couch to 5k to build up at a manageable level and speed. Find a flat route if possible.

I used to do road running and I did the Woodbridge 10k for 19 consecutive years although the last one was in 2003.
I have not done any running for 5 or 6 years but often wish that I still did.

It does keep your weight down, although I never did it for that reason, and it does clear your mind.

I had several routes worked out in Woodbridge/Melton ranging between 3 and about 7 miles but none of them were completely flat.

I was aged 34 the first time I did the Woodbridge 10k so probably my road running never coincided with when I was at my peak physical fitness.
[Post edited 4 Jul 2018 21:29]
Jogging tips.. on 21:34 - Jul 4 with 3312 viewsSwailsey

Jogging tips.. on 21:18 - Jul 4 by itfcjoe

Yes.

Thanks Joe and and P - appreciated.

I’m starting tomorrow. I’m fairly fit - okay 5 a side every couple of weeks and walk 2 miles a day to work. Unsure of how long/far to jog for tomorrow?

I’m on woodbridge road.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Jogging tips.. on 21:41 - Jul 4 with 3278 viewsitfcjoe

Jogging tips.. on 21:34 - Jul 4 by Swailsey

I’m starting tomorrow. I’m fairly fit - okay 5 a side every couple of weeks and walk 2 miles a day to work. Unsure of how long/far to jog for tomorrow?

I’m on woodbridge road.

Maybe get couch to 5k and start on about week 3 or 4. It’ll feel too easy at first but vital to do the proper groundwork to properly build yourself up to 5k.

Not sure where you are on Woodbridge Rd, but I’d head up to Brunswick Rd and jog up there to cut through at cemetery, jog done Colchester Road to Rushmere Rd roundabout, then down Woodbridge Rd to yours then wander for a few minutes to cool down.

That should be fairly flat, and an easy start - just don’t overdo it straight away

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Jogging tips.. on 21:42 - Jul 4 with 3278 viewsclive_baker

Definitely good for weight. I mean it’s not rocket science, if you can burn 400 calories on a run and work the full body then it’ll benefit you. I also think it’s great to clear the mind, I love getting out for a run and try to do at least 20k a week.

My advice would be to invest in good footwear. You don’t need to spend hundreds but getting a half decent pair of proper running trainers will make the world of difference. Also set targets. Don’t be harsh on yourself, but set something to hit, and reward yourself when you do. Even if it’s a pint, something tangible to reflect on your gains. My target for a while was to do 5k sub 20 minutes, I’ve never been a great runner even though I consider myself physically fit, and 22 was my level for a while. Now I’m doing a 5k in sub 20 so I’m setting new targets. It depends on the type of person you are but personally I need something to go after.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Jogging tips.. on 21:43 - Jul 4 with 3270 viewsPJH

I’m on woodbridge road.

Just a suggestion because I have no idea if it is feasible but how about for your first jog just head to your place of work and back.
I would also say not to be discouraged if you cannot manage that because when I used to run sometimes a run went very well and sometimes it was a struggle-I found that I could usually tell in the first 300 yards or so how a run was going to go for me.
Quite possibly for some people a run always goes smoothly but for me it didn't always.
Jogging tips.. on 21:43 - Jul 4 with 3267 viewsTractorWood

I’m on woodbridge road.

Love it. Really helps me unwind. I'm trying to run 1,000 miles this year including 3 marathons. Start short and easy. You can always run further and harder next time!

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Jogging tips.. on 21:49 - Jul 4 with 3245 viewsfloridablue

I’m on woodbridge road.

Join one of the free Parkrun events, suits all levels and chip timed.
Jogging tips.. on 21:49 - Jul 4 with 3253 viewsITFC_Forever

I started running 16 months ago, had let the pounds pile on and kidded myself that ambling around at weekly 5-a-side was enough.
One week I was even slower and more off the pace than usual, weighed myself and promptly put a pit of trainers in and ran that night.

Started off doing 2 miles round the block, couldn’t run all of it in one go so I had to walk bits of it. But I stuck at it and gradually walked less and the first time I ran it non-stop, it felt like an achievement.

I then added a bit on to make it up to 5k, and then added a bit more on to make it 4 miles.

Then last June, I decided to up it a bit and done the 5k route twice to make it 10k.... it was the hardest thing I’ve physically done.

But now I do 5k / 4 miles 2 or 3 times a week, and a 10k once a month.
Managed to get the average 5k time down to around 25.30, and the 10k in around 54 minutes and lost a stone and a half in the process.

Only trouble is, all my trousers are now too big and my slightly baggy t-shirts are now too baggy to wear!

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Jogging tips.. on 21:54 - Jul 4 with 3227 viewsDubtractor

In all seriousness, I'd imagine that running has huge benefits, both physically and mentally, but I just can't do it.

Firstly as my knees just won't take it, but mainly as I just find it a bit dull. I find I need to the engagement you get from something competitive so get my exercise from football and badminton.

The downside is that in my advancing years I seem to pick up a niggly injury (currently cracked rib) from football way too often and then end up unable to do anything. So maybe I'll need to sack off the football at some point and go for something with less attrition.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.

Jogging tips.. on 22:02 - Jul 4 with 3194 viewsSwailsey

Thanks all - very helpful.

Jogging tips.. on 22:08 - Jul 4 with 3168 viewsITFC_Forever

Jogging tips.. on 21:54 - Jul 4 by Dubtractor

In all seriousness, I'd imagine that running has huge benefits, both physically and mentally, but I just can't do it.

Firstly as my knees just won't take it, but mainly as I just find it a bit dull. I find I need to the engagement you get from something competitive so get my exercise from football and badminton.

The downside is that in my advancing years I seem to pick up a niggly injury (currently cracked rib) from football way too often and then end up unable to do anything. So maybe I'll need to sack off the football at some point and go for something with less attrition.

I used to hate running too... would much rather play football / tennis etc.

But since I’ve started it, I’ve found I quite enjoy it... plug in the music and away you go.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Jogging tips.. on 22:15 - Jul 4 with 3145 viewsvapour_trail

Jogging tips.. on 21:54 - Jul 4 by Dubtractor

It’s all about your choice of tunes dubbers.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Jogging tips.. on 22:18 - Jul 4 with 3134 viewsDubtractor

Jogging tips.. on 22:15 - Jul 4 by vapour_trail

It’s all about your choice of tunes dubbers.

I'd imagine some 120bpm techy house (underworld for example) would be the right kind of soundtrack?

Jogging tips.. on 22:20 - Jul 4 with 3129 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Definitely get the running shoes.

I tried doing it in trainers for a while, ignored an ache in my achilles and ended up with an injury that took months and physio to heal. It still niggles sometimes over a year later. I have recently bought some running shoes and intend to try again this summer but am fearful the injury is still not 100%.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Jogging tips.. on 22:56 - Jul 4 with 3037 viewstcblue

You're asking three questions, so here's my three answers:

1) not going to combat a bad diet, but in collaboration with a good diet which limits insulin spikes then yes. Better than 'jogging' though for weight loss and fitness is sprinting intervals. Much quicker than a long grind, too.
2) I think any exercise is terrific for the mind, yes.
3) Don't buy 'comfy' running shoes with built up heels and soles. These will enforce bad running form and you will put unnecessary wear and tear on your knees and all sorts. A more minimalist shoe will make you feel like you ran as a kid in bare feet. That's your natural, least damaging way of running, don't listen to Nike
Jogging tips.. on 23:15 - Jul 4 with 2983 viewsvapour_trail

Jogging tips.. on 22:18 - Jul 4 by Dubtractor

I'd imagine some 120bpm techy house (underworld for example) would be the right kind of soundtrack?

Badabing.

Their live stuff does it for me.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Jogging tips.. on 23:26 - Jul 4 with 2959 viewsHARRY10

Remember my training advice from running the London marathon way back. I started by using lamp posts as a measure.

Which meant walking to one, jogging t the next, then running as hard as I can for the 3rd one. However start off easy by walking and jogging far more than you run. An easy method of measuring your running.

Over time you will find that you can do 2 jogging to 1 fast run. Regard the fast run as like revving your engine flat out. Flapping along like a fish out of water is of not much use, if you are not pushing your self at some stage.
Short fast bursts are better than 'flapping' along for ages.

Advice from a cardio surgeon (not me). DO NOT carrier water. You do not need it. Remember as a kid running about all day. Did you carry water ? Having one arm 'crooked' to carry the bottle can also distort your chest muscles.

As he said, no one has died from de hydation, but it is a regular problem of folk taking on too much water. Drink a little frequently throughout the day, you'll be fine when running. And check the 10k runners at the Olympics and watch how much they drink - nothing, during the race.

Otherwise, enjoy
Jogging tips.. on 07:58 - Jul 5 with 2714 viewsdusseldorf_blue

Someone here mentioned this 16 hour fasting, I have started to do this (just on weekdays) and that combined with cycling, to and from work, 3 days a week (32kms in total) has helped lose 2kg in 2 or 3 weeks.
Jogging tips.. on 08:10 - Jul 5 with 2693 viewsTownly

Sugar spikes .... cooling then re-heating resistant starches like potatoes, rice and pasta before consumption reduces the ss considerably. FACT.

Weight .... 20mcg Clenbuterol thirty minutes before a run will increase metabolism by up to 10 per cent. FACT.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2018 8:24]
on 08:34 - Jul 5 with 2652 views_

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024