Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
NHS 70 today 11:35 - Jul 5 with 1179 viewsNo9

https://www.theguardian.com/society/live/2018/jul/05/nhs-staff-and-patients-mark

I & my family have many reasons to be thankful for the NHS
NHS 70 today on 12:51 - Jul 5 with 1153 viewsBecclesITFC

It's a beautiful thing.
NHS 70 today on 12:57 - Jul 5 with 1158 viewsTJS

Sorry but I find all this celebrating 70 years of having a state healthcare system a bit over the top.
Every decent country has one (apart from the US).
Some of it is great, some of it is massively inefficient, most of it is somewhere in between.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2018 12:57]
NHS 70 today on 13:15 - Jul 5 with 1134 viewsIP12

NHS 70 today on 12:57 - Jul 5 by TJS

Sorry but I find all this celebrating 70 years of having a state healthcare system a bit over the top.
Some of it is great, some of it is massively inefficient, most of it is somewhere in between.

I do apologise for the 'downvote' but for at least 80% of the time the NHS get it right or close to. No one is perfect. Regretably, my family and I have had a huge amount direct contact with the NHS in the last five years. All things considered they have done very well...(Phrase stolen from 'Young Mr Grace').
NHS 70 today on 13:33 - Jul 5 with 1125 viewsBlueBadger

Ironically enough the parts of it that are hugely inefficient are largely those in the hands of the private sector..

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

NHS 70 today on 14:11 - Jul 5 with 1102 viewsGuthrum

It's intended as rather a pointed celebration, given that there are elements within British politics who would like to see the whole thing disappear, in the name of "small government" (so they don't have to pay taxes), or an exaggerated reverence for the private sector (which they can afford, even if others cannot).
[Post edited 5 Jul 2018 14:13]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

NHS 70 today on 15:28 - Jul 5 with 1070 viewsWeWereZombies

I think the United Kingdom is the only state that provides healthcare without charge at the point of delivery, other 'first world' nations like France and the Netherlands base their state healthcare on variations of an insurance model. And even 'second world' nations like the United States have some form of public healthcare, it's just that you might have to queue outdoors in sub-zero temperatures in the middle of the night. Get into the 'third world' though and you can see people who just give up on life when they have an accident that we can get sorted out in A&E.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2018 16:05]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

NHS 70 today on 17:24 - Jul 5 with 1023 viewsTJS

NHS 70 today on 15:28 - Jul 5 by WeWereZombies

I think the United Kingdom is the only state that provides healthcare without charge at the point of delivery, other 'first world' nations like France and the Netherlands base their state healthcare on variations of an insurance model. And even 'second world' nations like the United States have some form of public healthcare, it's just that you might have to queue outdoors in sub-zero temperatures in the middle of the night. Get into the 'third world' though and you can see people who just give up on life when they have an accident that we can get sorted out in A&E.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2018 16:05]

I'm not convinced this "free at the point of delivery" really means that much. I'm pretty sure virtually all of Western Europe provides totally free healthcare for the poorest in society. The richer people in their society probably pay more via taxation/insurance than they do here.
My mate's wife from the Czech Republic needed a knee operation a few years back. They told her it would be a 6 month wait on the NHS so she went back home and had it done free a week later.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2018 17:31]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024