Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Will everyone give Martinez a break now? 20:55 - Jul 6 with 2445 viewsm14_blue

Takes an inordinate amount of stick and I'm never sure why.
Will everyone give Martinez a break now? on 21:14 - Jul 6 with 2408 viewsnshearman1

He's certainly taken stick in this country a few years back but I'm not sure where he's taken stick recently other than from some elements of the Belgian press before the World Cup? For me he's been the Manager of the Tournament. At the start, every pundit going was saying how Belgium are always a group of great individuals but never play together as a team; Martinez has turned many many years of history around. Dare I say they're almost Mick Mc-esque in their team spirit, work ethic, defensive capability when their backs are against the wall, all topped off with those group talks at the end of games? But on top of that Martinez has pretty much never put his foot wrong in terms of team selection, substitutions, and tactics before and during games. He's been superb, and right now they look like the team that deserves to win this tournament.
Will everyone give Martinez a break now? on 21:21 - Jul 6 with 2389 viewsScottCandage

Fully agreed, I've always wanted him at Ipswich. Won the Cup. Geez, he didn't have success at Everton. Who has? And on a side note, he was an ESPN (US) studio analyst at the 2014 World Cup and he was BRILLIANT. One of the best analysts I've ever heard. Explained everything simply and perfectly so everyone could understand. I remember thinking, "Now I know why he's a top coach."
Will everyone give Martinez a break now? on 21:59 - Jul 6 with 2340 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Will everyone give Martinez a break now? on 21:21 - Jul 6 by ScottCandage

Fully agreed, I've always wanted him at Ipswich. Won the Cup. Geez, he didn't have success at Everton. Who has? And on a side note, he was an ESPN (US) studio analyst at the 2014 World Cup and he was BRILLIANT. One of the best analysts I've ever heard. Explained everything simply and perfectly so everyone could understand. I remember thinking, "Now I know why he's a top coach."

David Moyes

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Will everyone give Martinez a break now? on 22:42 - Jul 6 with 2289 viewsRocky

Who has he ever taken stick from in this country - apart from a percentage of Evertonians?
Every football supporter I know has always spoken very highly of him.
Will everyone give Martinez a break now? on 22:53 - Jul 6 with 2273 viewsSwansea_Blue

Will everyone give Martinez a break now? on 22:42 - Jul 6 by Rocky

Who has he ever taken stick from in this country - apart from a percentage of Evertonians?

Yeah, I'm a bit confused by this one. Sure, he was relegated and could be a bit naive defensively, but there was no sign of that tonight when he's got decent players to work with. There defensive work from front to back was top class tonight.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Will everyone give Martinez a break now? on 23:12 - Jul 6 with 2251 viewstractordownsouth

Will everyone give Martinez a break now? on 22:53 - Jul 6 by Swansea_Blue

Yeah, I'm a bit confused by this one. Sure, he was relegated and could be a bit naive defensively, but there was no sign of that tonight when he's got decent players to work with. There defensive work from front to back was top class tonight.

In fairness, some of the defensive criticism was justified. He once openly admitted that he did not focus on the defence at all during Everton training - which is partly the reason John Stones has improved massively at City. It's alright to not practice defending when you have arguably the 3 best centre backs in the Premier League for Belgium.

However, I thought he got his tactics spot on tonight. Not playing Mertens was a brave move, but it allowed for the midfield to be more sturdy and give KDB a more free role, which made him, Lukaku and Hazard look mesmerising when they went forward. Playing Lukaku deeper also helped him, as his first touch is woeful but tonight he was able to knock it past defenders and run, as well as moving the Brazillian backlime about. Before the game I said I thought whoever won Uruguay/ France would win the tournament, but that tonight was the best team performance I've seen in this World Cup.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Will everyone give Martinez a break now? on 05:37 - Jul 7 with 2174 viewsm14_blue

Will everyone give Martinez a break now? on 22:42 - Jul 6 by Rocky

Maybe it's because I work in Liverpool a fair bit but he seemed to become almost a joke figure.

Whenever I've seen anyone discuss Belgium's chances it's always been seen as a negative that they have him in charge too.
Will everyone give Martinez a break now? on 09:52 - Jul 7 with 2067 viewsCurrie10

Nope.

Pub manager who has landed a dream job.

Decided to play pre Japan disaster Kevin De Brunye completely out of position. Carrasco, an absolutely quality attacking mid shoves him wing back.......

He makes some of the best defensive players STILL look all over the shop - with a great keeper and Witsel infront of him.

Met tonnes of Belgium's in Brazil who absolutely despise him with passion.

He got incredibly lucky Japan giving Belgium the run around for 60 so went with the side from the second half.

He'll never grasp how teams will defend, and that's why despite loving Belgium thinking France will edge them out.
Login to get fewer ads

Will everyone give Martinez a break now? on 10:21 - Jul 7 with 2027 viewsSuperblue95

Will everyone give Martinez a break now? on 09:52 - Jul 7 by Currie10

Nope.

Decided to play pre Japan disaster Kevin De Brunye completely out of position. Carrasco, an absolutely quality attacking mid shoves him wing back.......

He makes some of the best defensive players STILL look all over the shop - with a great keeper and Witsel infront of him.

He got incredibly lucky Japan giving Belgium the run around for 60 so went with the side from the second half.

He'll never grasp how teams will defend, and that's why despite loving Belgium thinking France will edge them out.

Pub manager? Christ above

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Will everyone give Martinez a break now? on 13:18 - Jul 7 with 1965 viewsm14_blue

Will everyone give Martinez a break now? on 09:52 - Jul 7 by Currie10

Nope.

Now do the rest of you see what I mean?

Cheers Currie10.

Pretty balanced response too...
Will everyone give Martinez a break now? on 14:20 - Jul 7 with 1931 viewsNo9

He never did anythign really to get bad press, just the impatience of the English game
I would have liked him at ITFC
Will everyone give Martinez a break now? on 14:41 - Jul 7 with 1919 viewsCurrie10

Will everyone give Martinez a break now? on 10:21 - Jul 7 by Superblue95

Pub manager? Christ above

He is absolutely gash.

If getting relegated and not knowing how to set up a team to have any concept of defence appeals to you, this melt is your man.

Woeful at best.
Will everyone give Martinez a break now? on 15:11 - Jul 7 with 1909 viewsSuperblue95

Will everyone give Martinez a break now? on 14:41 - Jul 7 by Currie10

He is absolutely gash.

If getting relegated and not knowing how to set up a team to have any concept of defence appeals to you, this melt is your man.

Woeful at best.

Erm yeah alright mate

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Will everyone give Martinez a break now? on 17:42 - Jul 7 with 1883 viewsCurrie10

Will everyone give Martinez a break now? on 15:11 - Jul 7 by Superblue95

Erm yeah alright mate

Just my thoughts mate. I don't think he's very good.

Pleased you like him, I just don't think he's very sound tactically whatsoever.
Will everyone give Martinez a break now? on 10:12 - Jul 8 with 1793 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Will everyone give Martinez a break now? on 14:20 - Jul 7 by No9

He never did anythign really to get bad press, just the impatience of the English game
I would have liked him at ITFC

He did do quite a bit to be fair - problem with Martinez is that there really doesn’t seem to be any middle ground

At Wigan he won the FA Cup which was an incredible achievement, however he was also responsible for relegating them - although admittedly it could be argued they were always likely to go down at some point. Results also veered from the excellent to the ridiculous - 9-1 defeat against Spurs especially

At Everton he took over a side pretty much established as the best of the rest, and initially was wildly successful finishing 5th in his first season, but he then struggled and brought hem back into the pack finishing 11th and then in 12th when he was sacked the next season. Arguably Everton haven’t really recovered as yet

I have been critical of Martinez myself but he certainly has his good points - and his style possibly lends itself better to international football in that when it all clicks it can be very good, which seems to be happening now. I’m not sure Premier League clubs should be rushing to offer him a job however

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024