Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Morning All 08:11 - Jul 9 with 972 viewsSteve_M

Well, after the drama of last Tuesday night Saturday's England match felt positively relaxed. That's odd, I'm not used to my football teams doing things like that the easy way. It wasn't really easy of course, England working hard to make space and work the ball through a crowded Swedish midfield and creating the pressure that lead to both goals.

It did make reaching only the second World Cup semi final of my lifetime feel a little underwhelming, it wasn't like that against Cameroon. Twenty-eight years is a long time to wait to match that, hopefully we can go at least one better on Wednesday. I can't wait.

And some football-related music for a Monday morning.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Morning All on 08:25 - Jul 9 with 947 viewsReuser_is_God

Was lovely to watch such a big game & feel so comfortable doing so.

I can’t see Wednesday being the same though unfortunately. Most people in my office are confident though, main reason being is that Croatia are an ageing team who are looking a bit tired.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Morning All on 08:26 - Jul 9 with 943 viewschristiand

Wondering if Ian Brodie, David Baddiel and Frank Skinner will write another version of Three Lions 'IF' we win the World Cup? I see Three Lions is number 1 again after all the downloads this week.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Morning All on 08:30 - Jul 9 with 921 viewshomer_123

We've not be tested have we, really? That being said, in part, that is down to the fact that we've played well and it 'looks' like other teams are more worried about us and what we can do, especially set pieces.

Even Sweden, a country with a style and approach in our semi-recent mould and a physical team to boot, struggled with the set-pieces and the pace of Sterling.

It bodes well but I won't take anything for granted - as we have seen, anything can happen at this WC, we've put oursleves in a wonderful position - let's see what the lads can do.

Either way - one thing I can safely say, I've got a little bit of pride back in our national squad and am enjoying International football. Yes, winning does help but you know what, Southgate has got them playing a certain way, encouraging a bit of actual football, coupled with the more traditional English traits of hard work and set-pieces.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Morning All on 08:41 - Jul 9 with 896 viewsSteve_M

Morning All on 08:25 - Jul 9 by Reuser_is_God

Was lovely to watch such a big game & feel so comfortable doing so.

I can’t see Wednesday being the same though unfortunately. Most people in my office are confident though, main reason being is that Croatia are an ageing team who are looking a bit tired.

I would much rather play Croatia than Belgium or France at this stage, and I'm sure that every Croatian supporter feels exactly the same about playing us. Despite the obvious skill, Croatia have been largely uninspiring in their two knock out matches and have played two periods of extra time in a row.

It's a very winnable match but not if we take it for granted. Those of us who watch a lot of football should all know that even if the bandwagoners don't/

Morning All on 08:43 - Jul 9 with 889 viewsReuser_is_God

Morning All on 08:41 - Jul 9 by Steve_M

I would much rather play Croatia than Belgium or France at this stage, and I'm sure that every Croatian supporter feels exactly the same about playing us. Despite the obvious skill, Croatia have been largely uninspiring in their two knock out matches and have played two periods of extra time in a row.

It's a very winnable match but not if we take it for granted. Those of us who watch a lot of football should all know that even if the bandwagoners don't/

My fear is that the big game experience & know how of Modric, Rakitic & Mandzukic could make a big difference.

Evans out

Morning All on 08:45 - Jul 9 with 878 viewsSteve_M

Morning All on 08:30 - Jul 9 by homer_123

We've not be tested have we, really? That being said, in part, that is down to the fact that we've played well and it 'looks' like other teams are more worried about us and what we can do, especially set pieces.

Even Sweden, a country with a style and approach in our semi-recent mould and a physical team to boot, struggled with the set-pieces and the pace of Sterling.

It bodes well but I won't take anything for granted - as we have seen, anything can happen at this WC, we've put oursleves in a wonderful position - let's see what the lads can do.

Either way - one thing I can safely say, I've got a little bit of pride back in our national squad and am enjoying International football. Yes, winning does help but you know what, Southgate has got them playing a certain way, encouraging a bit of actual football, coupled with the more traditional English traits of hard work and set-pieces.

A couple of good saves at that the right time always help too, had it been 2-1 going into the last 15 minutes it might have got a little nervy. Equally, few teams win tournaments without the keeper having good spells.

I agree on your last paragraph, one of the worst things about fearing we would lost to Colombia on penalties was that it would all have counted for nothing. The usual naysayers would have come out saying we had only beaten two rubbish teams. That won't be the case now whatever happens on Wednesday.

Morning All on 08:45 - Jul 9 with 877 viewshomer_123

Morning All on 08:43 - Jul 9 by Reuser_is_God

My fear is that the big game experience & know how of Modric, Rakitic & Mandzukic could make a big difference.

Yes, that's a fair point RIG but I suspect that they are also looking at us and thinking set-plays....pace......possesion.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Morning All on 08:51 - Jul 9 with 854 viewsReuser_is_God

Morning All on 08:45 - Jul 9 by homer_123

Yes, that's a fair point RIG but I suspect that they are also looking at us and thinking set-plays....pace......possesion.

Oh of course.

Just that being a town fan has turned me into a natural pessimist.

I’d imagine my mood will change though & by Wednesday I’ll be 100% convinced we’ll win.

Evans out

Login to get fewer ads

Morning All on 08:52 - Jul 9 with 844 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Morning All on 08:43 - Jul 9 by Reuser_is_God

This.

I have a terrible feeling we will lose 1-0 after extra time

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Morning All on 08:57 - Jul 9 with 827 viewsWeWereZombies

Morning All on 08:30 - Jul 9 by homer_123

I think Belgium tested us.

But if we make it to the Final things will be different, first eleven injuries and cards permitting, knock out rather than group stage etc.

Mustn't count our chickens etc.
And it could well be France anyway
Isn't it great to have all these things to ponder?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024