Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why do I not have that empty feeling I had in 1990? 22:57 - Jul 11 with 2556 viewsGlasgowBlue

I said the other night that the last semi final had haunted me. SBR. Nessun Dorma, which I can't actualy listen to without bawling my eyes out. World in Motion. Gazza's tears.

Tonight it's a shrug of the shoulders and better luck next time.

Age?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Why do I not have that empty feeling I had in 1990? on 23:01 - Jul 11 with 2528 viewsgtsb

I'm exactly the same. I was 24 then and I'm 52 now. Perhaps my inner conscious realises that football isn't everything. It seemed football was everything way back then though.
Why do I not have that empty feeling I had in 1990? on 23:01 - Jul 11 with 2522 viewsFunge

For me, the realisation that we were beaten by a team who were a little better, a little more savvy, and a little more clinical.

I have no axe at all to grind with the Croats; hope they go on to win it.

Also, the realisation that, finally, we have a team who we can take pride in, and, more importantly, who are going places.

Wish Kane had taken that chance at 1-0, though. All the momentum wth us then, don't think they'd have come back from that....

EDIT - whereas in 1990, my 11-year old self felt thoroughly pissed off with the total injustice of it all. None of that tonight.
[Post edited 11 Jul 2018 23:02]
Why do I not have that empty feeling I had in 1990? on 23:02 - Jul 11 with 2498 viewslowhouseblue

yep, age.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Why do I not have that empty feeling I had in 1990? on 23:03 - Jul 11 with 2506 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I think the difference is that it wasn't penalties.

The match with the biggest emotion for me was against columbia.

I think if we had lost on pens with all the drama that comes with it, you'd feel the same.

I think also we didn't really have enough clear cut chances to think we should have won tonight.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Why do I not have that empty feeling I had in 1990? on 23:05 - Jul 11 with 2485 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Why do I not have that empty feeling I had in 1990? on 23:03 - Jul 11 by Marshalls_Mullet

I think if we had lost on pens with all the drama that comes with it, you'd feel the same.

I think also we didn't really have enough clear cut chances to think we should have won tonight.

Plus... it wasn't germany!!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Why do I not have that empty feeling I had in 1990? on 23:07 - Jul 11 with 2462 viewsRadlett_blue

Why do I not have that empty feeling I had in 1990? on 23:03 - Jul 11 by Marshalls_Mullet

We didn't deserve to go through tonight.
some of us are also a little bit older so the disappointment doesn't feel so bad.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Why do I not have that empty feeling I had in 1990? on 23:10 - Jul 11 with 2424 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Why do I not have that empty feeling I had in 1990? on 23:07 - Jul 11 by Radlett_blue

We didn't deserve to go through tonight.
some of us are also a little bit older so the disappointment doesn't feel so bad.

I said we didn't do enough to win.

Still think the main difference is it wasn't pens and it wasn't germany

Why do I not have that empty feeling I had in 1990? on 23:27 - Jul 11 with 2365 viewsEastTownBlue

Agree.

Years of disappointment with England and Ipswich have taken their toll on me. I was crying my eyes out when a youngster in 1990. Perhaps there was tiers for Bobby in that as well in 1990 ?
Login to get fewer ads

Why do I not have that empty feeling I had in 1990? on 00:01 - Jul 12 with 2288 viewsstonojnr

agreed both 90 and 96 I was devastated after the games, this has left me feeling well we got close but yeah better team won move on, which seems really weird at the moment. maybe its because we only felt like it was on for 45mins, the rest of the game was hanging on, whereas those others it went right to the wire, so many chances to win it but not taken,we had 2 shots on target all game this time, 1 of those was the goal. Town have been pilloried for stats for like that before.

and I dont think its age, because age gives you the opportunity to realise well actually these kind of things dont come round that often, and 22-28 years is actually a long time to wait for it to happen again, it could be near enough basically the 2050 world cup...just think how old you could be by then. 84 years of hurt Jules Rimet still gleaming...
Why do I not have that empty feeling I had in 1990? on 00:04 - Jul 12 with 2278 viewsLuk38644

It's because we didn't ever expect to get to the semi's.

I wasn't alive for 1990 but from what I've seen, it all seemed like we were destined to win it. Sir Bobby, Gazza but lost to the Germans on penalties.

Tonight was a squad of young overachievers that made us proud once again of our national team. To get to the final would have been incredible and it's gutting to lose of course, but I think the pride is helping to subdue the feeling of pain.

I've always grown up seeing England under-achieve. This time, we overachieved, and that's all we can ask. Love everyone one of them.
Why do I not have that empty feeling I had in 1990? on 00:10 - Jul 12 with 2256 viewsHurleyBurley

Yes, it's age. When you're under 18 you don't realise just the real ability of your team, you buy the hype.

When we got to the semis in 90, we deserved to be there at least. This year we were happy to take anything after the round of 16 and enjoy it while it lasted.

My teenage son is torn up about it tonight.

Poll: World Cup final: Who do you WANT to win?

Why do I not have that empty feeling I had in 1990? on 01:32 - Jul 12 with 2177 viewsstonojnr

Why do I not have that empty feeling I had in 1990? on 00:04 - Jul 12 by Luk38644

It's because we didn't ever expect to get to the semi's.

I wasn't alive for 1990 but from what I've seen, it all seemed like we were destined to win it. Sir Bobby, Gazza but lost to the Germans on penalties.

Tonight was a squad of young overachievers that made us proud once again of our national team. To get to the final would have been incredible and it's gutting to lose of course, but I think the pride is helping to subdue the feeling of pain.

I've always grown up seeing England under-achieve. This time, we overachieved, and that's all we can ask. Love everyone one of them.

It's worth saying in 90 England were woeful in group stages, lost the captain to injury,scraped through a couple of knockout games against unfancied opposition and then met West Germany in a semi final, and played the best we'd seen all tournament so many chances to win it,that was one of those games you always look at and say England should have won, and then the momentum confidence team feeling they had would have propelled Bobby to be destined to win...but it was taken away cruelly it felt by a penalty shootout miss. This current team bear no resemblance to how 90 unfolded
Why do I not have that empty feeling I had in 1990? on 02:57 - Jul 12 with 2143 viewsMinneapolis_ITFC

Back in 1990 you would have been favorites to beat an average Argentina team in the end game. Whereas now France - if you had made it - would have been a completely different caliber of opposition.

I remember the Italia 90 tournament, poignant in retrospect with the Pavarotti anthem and so many teams making a name for themselves but it was spoilt with too any penalty deciders and the Final itself was arguably the worst in competition history.
Why do I not have that empty feeling I had in 1990? on 09:19 - Jul 12 with 1957 viewsRadlett_blue

Why do I not have that empty feeling I had in 1990? on 01:32 - Jul 12 by stonojnr

It's worth saying in 90 England were woeful in group stages, lost the captain to injury,scraped through a couple of knockout games against unfancied opposition and then met West Germany in a semi final, and played the best we'd seen all tournament so many chances to win it,that was one of those games you always look at and say England should have won, and then the momentum confidence team feeling they had would have propelled Bobby to be destined to win...but it was taken away cruelly it felt by a penalty shootout miss. This current team bear no resemblance to how 90 unfolded

Exactly. Overall, Italia 90 was one of the poorest World Cups in history, with a record low goals/games, which still stands. It was the main reason why FIFA changed the back-pass law 2 years later. England also did not play very well until the semi final, where they performed very well and seemed to have found their best XI almost by accident.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Why do I not have that empty feeling I had in 1990? on 09:28 - Jul 12 with 1931 viewsReuser_is_God

I guess it’s age & the fact you’d already experienced it.

As this was my first semi* I probably feel like you didn’t in 1990.

*insert joke here

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Why do I not have that empty feeling I had in 1990? on 09:37 - Jul 12 with 1905 viewsBrianTablet

It's funny, I've been thinking this all night (well, apart from when i was asleep) and this morning.

I think it's the fact that it DID seem to matter more at that time (to me). I was at uni, surrounded by mates, football fans, beer. Football was in a bad way, only loved by the die-hards. A World Cup was also a bigger event in that we didn't have so much live football on tv, so it was a real treat to watch so much.

Now I'm old and watched it at home.
I hate the feeling of 'meh'.

I actually felt more emotional watching the flashback to 1990.
Sir Bobby's tears when Waddle misses that penalty really get me.

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Why do I not have that empty feeling I had in 1990? on 09:38 - Jul 12 with 1903 viewsGlasgowBlue

Why do I not have that empty feeling I had in 1990? on 09:28 - Jul 12 by Reuser_is_God

I guess it’s age & the fact you’d already experienced it.

As this was my first semi* I probably feel like you didn’t in 1990.

*insert joke here

I'm not telling anymore willy jokes. You might come back at me about it in two years time.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024