Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Where do England go from here? 10:32 - Jul 12 with 3464 viewsReuser_is_God

What do we need to do to ensure we don’t have to wait another 20+ years for this again?

Sell Wembley & take England games round the country again.
Keep developing the youngsters which have won numerous age group tournaments over the past 2/3 seasons.
Carry on with the philosophy of play we’ve seen at this WC.
Hope that the current squad become more experienced with their clubs (chanpions league semis & finals, become regulars etc)
Get more English lads playing abroad. Harry Maguire has Juve written all over him.

We’ll win a major tournament in the next decade

Up the England.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Where do England go from here? on 10:35 - Jul 12 with 2266 viewschicoazul

I'd love to see them take more games out on the road thats a brilliant idea.

I think as much as anything this WC has given us an identity and a way of playing which has been absent. The previous tournaments pretty much since 2002 have been about putting individuals into a team but now the team and the system seems to come first which is good, and the fans have bought into it.

Sadly I dont think we will see many of our lads go abroad to play as good an idea as that is.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Where do England go from here? on 10:36 - Jul 12 with 2262 viewsKeno

Dryas will know this better than me but I believe England is moving slowly westwards and perhaps a little north

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Where do England go from here? on 10:36 - Jul 12 with 2259 viewsReuser_is_God

Where do England go from here? on 10:35 - Jul 12 by chicoazul

I'd love to see them take more games out on the road thats a brilliant idea.

I think as much as anything this WC has given us an identity and a way of playing which has been absent. The previous tournaments pretty much since 2002 have been about putting individuals into a team but now the team and the system seems to come first which is good, and the fans have bought into it.

Sadly I dont think we will see many of our lads go abroad to play as good an idea as that is.

A good number of our youngsters are going abroad.

Evans out

Where do England go from here? on 10:37 - Jul 12 with 2254 viewschicoazul

Where do England go from here? on 10:36 - Jul 12 by Reuser_is_God

A good number of our youngsters are going abroad.

Aye sorry I meant once they are established. Your Maguires, Hendersons etc

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Where do England go from here? on 11:06 - Jul 12 with 2217 viewsArcher4721

England have to hope the get another slice of luck in the draw and hope they don't play a decent side until the final....then you might stand a chance.
Where do England go from here? on 11:09 - Jul 12 with 2207 viewsmos

Where do England go from here? on 11:06 - Jul 12 by Archer4721

England have to hope the get another slice of luck in the draw and hope they don't play a decent side until the final....then you might stand a chance.

You’re right, in fairness we played crap sides throughout the whole tournament.

Apart from Belgium who we lost to and Croatia, whom we also lost to.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

Where do England go from here? on 11:10 - Jul 12 with 2195 viewsReuser_is_God

Where do England go from here? on 11:06 - Jul 12 by Archer4721

Colombia & Sweden are both good sides.

Evans out

Where do England go from here? on 11:18 - Jul 12 with 2177 viewsArcher4721

Where do England go from here? on 11:10 - Jul 12 by Reuser_is_God

Colombia without their best player on and an ordinary Sweden team playing 442 aren't good sides tbf.
Login to get fewer ads

Where do England go from here? on 11:20 - Jul 12 with 2169 viewsArcher4721

Where do England go from here? on 11:09 - Jul 12 by mos

You’re right, in fairness we played crap sides throughout the whole tournament.

Apart from Belgium who we lost to and Croatia, whom we also lost to.

Yep....But let's not dampen everyone's dreams who now think England are world beaters.
(No subject) (n/t) on 11:24 - Jul 12 with 2158 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Where do England go from here? on 11:18 - Jul 12 by Archer4721

Colombia without their best player on and an ordinary Sweden team playing 442 aren't good sides tbf.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Where do England go from here? on 11:26 - Jul 12 with 2156 viewsmos

Where do England go from here? on 11:10 - Jul 12 by Reuser_is_God

Meh, as a nation we will dub them as good sides. Sweden were pretty poor IMO, and for Colombia, well I didn’t see anything particularly special, maybe because they missed Rodriguez?

Don’t get me wrong, the success of making the semi finals was great but I think people are taking far too much from it. I’ve seen people calling us the 4th best team in the world (of course due to finishing in the top 4 in the World Cup), which is just simply not true.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:28 - Jul 12 with 2141 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Where do England go from here? on 11:28 - Jul 12 with 2141 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

What a miserable b*stard.

You probably shouldnt follow England if you cant give them any credit.

Who was it that prevented Holland and Italy from qualifying? Oh yeah, Sweden.

Who was it that beat a much fancied Mexico side 3-0? oh yeah, sweden.

If you can only look at it from a negative point of view youre a very sad individual and you have my pity.

Where do England go from here? on 11:31 - Jul 12 with 2128 viewsArcher4721

Where do England go from here? on 11:28 - Jul 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

What a miserable b*stard.

You probably shouldnt follow England if you cant give them any credit.

Who was it that prevented Holland and Italy from qualifying? Oh yeah, Sweden.

Who was it that beat a much fancied Mexico side 3-0? oh yeah, sweden.

If you can only look at it from a negative point of view youre a very sad individual and you have my pity.

Great blub....Well done.

So being realistic is being negative is it?

Oh well.
Where do England go from here? on 11:32 - Jul 12 with 2119 viewsmos

Where do England go from here? on 11:20 - Jul 12 by Archer4721

Yep....But let's not dampen everyone's dreams who now think England are world beaters.

Well that’s the thing, I am English but all this extreme positivity is just not true.
We’re not as good a football team as what many think.

Although the best things to take from this World Cup are how as a Nation we got together despite differences (local clubs, politics, region of the country) and supported our nation. Also the atmosphere at pubs/fan zones were great too. These I think are what we should be taking out of this World Cup, rather than people considering the English football team to be a ‘world beater’.

Where do England go from here? on 11:42 - Jul 12 with 2073 viewsGuthrum

Where do England go from here? on 11:26 - Jul 12 by mos

Meh, as a nation we will dub them as good sides. Sweden were pretty poor IMO, and for Colombia, well I didn’t see anything particularly special, maybe because they missed Rodriguez?

Don’t get me wrong, the success of making the semi finals was great but I think people are taking far too much from it. I’ve seen people calling us the 4th best team in the world (of course due to finishing in the top 4 in the World Cup), which is just simply not true.

Thing is, by what other metric than progression through a World Cup can teams be rated? Any system which discounts actual competition in favour of some other assessment becomes entirely subjective.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Where do England go from here? on 11:47 - Jul 12 with 2057 viewsReuser_is_God

Where do England go from here? on 11:42 - Jul 12 by Guthrum

Thing is, by what other metric than progression through a World Cup can teams be rated? Any system which discounts actual competition in favour of some other assessment becomes entirely subjective.

Wveryone was raving about Mexico after 2 games, dark horses etc etc

Sweden done them 3-0.

Evans out

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:52 - Jul 12 with 2051 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Where do England go from here? on 11:31 - Jul 12 by Archer4721

Great blub....Well done.

Oh well.

[Post edited 12 Jul 2018 11:56]

Where do England go from here? on 11:55 - Jul 12 with 2038 viewsBloomBlue

Make it a rule all Prem teams must contain a minimum of 5 English players
Where do England go from here? on 11:57 - Jul 12 with 2028 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Where do England go from here? on 11:31 - Jul 12 by Archer4721

Great blub....Well done.

Oh well.

I would have written something else if you were being realistic.

I think you have a future as a daily mail journalist though.

Where do England go from here? on 12:00 - Jul 12 with 2019 viewsRobTheMonk

I think we need to encourage what's been grounded here. The playing out from the back and showing for the ball. We lack an Alonso/Pirlo/Modric type of player who can play those killer balls. We seem to have destroyers like Henderson (who I think has done really well at this World Cup but he has passing limitations) and then you skillful central attacking midfielders like Ali and Lingard. I think we need to develop a hybrid of the two.
Where do England go from here? on 12:10 - Jul 12 with 1993 viewsGeoffSentence

Where do England go from here? on 11:32 - Jul 12 by mos

Well that’s the thing, I am English but all this extreme positivity is just not true.
We’re not as good a football team as what many think.

Although the best things to take from this World Cup are how as a Nation we got together despite differences (local clubs, politics, region of the country) and supported our nation. Also the atmosphere at pubs/fan zones were great too. These I think are what we should be taking out of this World Cup, rather than people considering the English football team to be a ‘world beater’.

I agree with you to an extent, this England team did better than expected but aren't suddenly up there with the very best. However the way with some people are dismissing not only the teams we played, but the teams that those teams beat is a self-limiting argument.

It seems to suggest that the criteria to be a good team is to have not been beaten by England and not been beaten by anyone England have beaten. This leaves a very small pool of teams, which England are only just outside of.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Where do England go from here? on 18:00 - Jul 12 with 1846 viewsmos

Where do England go from here? on 11:42 - Jul 12 by Guthrum

You’re right, but to be honest, there isn’t really a great way to assess who’s better than who. Therefore I think the whole ranking of football teams is subjective, and is just done by most popular opinion.

I find it unfair to rank teams due to where they finish in the World Cup, since not all the teams play each other.

Where do England go from here? on 18:04 - Jul 12 with 1840 viewsmos

Where do England go from here? on 12:10 - Jul 12 by GeoffSentence

I agree with you to an extent, this England team did better than expected but aren't suddenly up there with the very best. However the way with some people are dismissing not only the teams we played, but the teams that those teams beat is a self-limiting argument.

It seems to suggest that the criteria to be a good team is to have not been beaten by England and not been beaten by anyone England have beaten. This leaves a very small pool of teams, which England are only just outside of.

That’s why it is so hard to try and judge teams, and you’re right.

But looking at the teams we’ve played:
Belgium - lost
Tunisia - won
Panama - won
Colombia - won
Sweden - won
Croatia - lost

So we’ve lost to two good sides (Belgium are clearly a good side, and throughout the tournament Croatia appeared to be pretty good too.) and we’ve beaten Sweden and Colombia, which is where the controversy begins.

There’s no real way to decide whether they’re any good, apart from personal judgement, which inevitably leads to disagreements.

Where do England go from here? on 18:08 - Jul 12 with 1837 viewsMelford

Keep Southgate and Holland and their team for as long as they want the job, let them build an empire, all these young age group World Cup winners to come through. He could be our Joachim Low, in place for a good decade or so.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024