Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Harry Kane is he world class? 12:36 - Jul 12 with 11336 viewschristiand

I know this topic started a massive debate last time, but interested to see if people have changed their view for or against? I'm still one of those not convinced. Yes, he is currently top scorer in the World Cup with 6 goals (including 3 penalties) and favourite for the Golden Boot, but I just don't put him in the same category as someone like France's Mbappe, although appreciate he is a different type of striker. Kane has certainly done some good things in this World Cup, but equally he been anonymous in games too - last night being a good example. I'm not trolling, just interested in people's thoughts.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Harry Kane is he world class? on 13:19 - Jul 12 with 2800 viewsFtnfwest

whats 'world class'? Top 10 or 20 in the world or say anyone who could on merit get into the majority of the top 20 teams in the world, which might mean there's more like 150-200 world class players in the world. If its the latter then yes he's in that group.
Harry Kane is he world class? on 13:21 - Jul 12 with 2794 viewsDanFord

Harry Kane is he world class? on 13:19 - Jul 12 by Ftnfwest

whats 'world class'? Top 10 or 20 in the world or say anyone who could on merit get into the majority of the top 20 teams in the world, which might mean there's more like 150-200 world class players in the world. If its the latter then yes he's in that group.

World Class is the top 5 or 10 in your position in the world. The players that would likely get into any team in the world apart from a couple that might have an equally good player already. Kane would not look out of place in the Real Madrid or Barcelona sides, or Bayern Munich, Juventus or Man City. He's World Class. If you can't consider a bloke who is easily winning the golden boot at the World Cup and who has topped or come second in the Premier League golden boot for the last 3-4 years as World Class then it's not even a thing.

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

Harry Kane is he world class? on 13:27 - Jul 12 with 2784 viewschristiand

Harry Kane is he world class? on 13:21 - Jul 12 by DanFord

World Class is the top 5 or 10 in your position in the world. The players that would likely get into any team in the world apart from a couple that might have an equally good player already. Kane would not look out of place in the Real Madrid or Barcelona sides, or Bayern Munich, Juventus or Man City. He's World Class. If you can't consider a bloke who is easily winning the golden boot at the World Cup and who has topped or come second in the Premier League golden boot for the last 3-4 years as World Class then it's not even a thing.

It’s been interesting listening to some of the ex professionals during the coverage of the World Cup and some do believe he is world class where others (not solely ex Arsenal players) feel he isn’t quite at that level yet, a reflection of views on this thread so far.

Harry Kane is he world class? on 13:36 - Jul 12 with 2761 viewsHerbivore

Harry Kane is he world class? on 13:08 - Jul 12 by christiand

or perhaps they are expecting a bit more to his game?

So he scored more goals than ANYONE in world football in 2017 and more goals than ANYONE in this World Cup and yet you want more from him to consider him to be world class? I'm done on this one. I've long found your debating positions on football to be detached from reality but this one takes the biscuit I reckon.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2018 13:40]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Harry Kane is he world class? on 13:41 - Jul 12 with 2762 viewsFtnfwest

Harry Kane is he world class? on 13:21 - Jul 12 by DanFord

agreed, i've always thought of 'world class' as being a player with a creditable shout at being good enough to play for any of the sides in the world with a genuine chance of actually winning the world cup (which - see Croatia) doesn't realistically extend beyond say 20th in the world rankings. Plus one or two exceptions like Bale, although wales were (and may still be in) the top 20.
Harry Kane is he world class? on 13:42 - Jul 12 with 2756 viewsHerbivore

Harry Kane is he world class? on 13:17 - Jul 12 by christiand

I’m certainly not putting Kane down. However, I like to see what people think and their reasons behind it. For all the stats Herbivore has rightly highlighted about Kane’s goalscoring record there should be no doubt he is, but there does remain that element of doubt or ‘he’s not World Class...yet!’ Just find this type of topic makes for compelling reading.

The doubt comes from him being called Harry Kane, being English and playing for Spurs. Glad I could clear that up for you.

Harry Kane is he world class? on 13:44 - Jul 12 with 2758 viewsDanFord

Harry Kane is he world class? on 13:42 - Jul 12 by Herbivore

The doubt comes from him being called Harry Kane, being English and playing for Spurs. Glad I could clear that up for you.

Bale was world class long before he went to Madrid. Modric was world class before he went to Madrid. George Best was and never had a chance of even going to a world cup. I think we all know if Kane was foreign and doing what he is doing for Spurs, he'd be agreed as world class, just like Aguero and Salah.

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

Harry Kane is he world class? on 13:44 - Jul 12 with 2758 viewschristiand

Harry Kane is he world class? on 13:36 - Jul 12 by Herbivore

So he scored more goals than ANYONE in world football in 2017 and more goals than ANYONE in this World Cup and yet you want more from him to consider him to be world class? I'm done on this one. I've long found your debating positions on football to be detached from reality but this one takes the biscuit I reckon.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2018 13:40]

The problem is Herbivore you don’t like it when people have differing views to your own. No offence, but when ex professionals footballers also put this debate into question, I think they know a little more about the game than you or I.

Login to get fewer ads

on 13:44 - Jul 12 with 2760 views_

Harry Kane is he world class? on 13:48 - Jul 12 with 2751 viewschristiand

Harry Kane is he world class? on 13:42 - Jul 12 by Herbivore

You still here, I thought you were done with this thread?

Harry Kane is he world class? on 14:00 - Jul 12 with 2726 viewsHerbivore

Harry Kane is he world class? on 13:44 - Jul 12 by christiand

The problem is Herbivore you don’t like it when people have differing views to your own. No offence, but when ex professionals footballers also put this debate into question, I think they know a little more about the game than you or I.

When you can produce a credible argument for him not being world class then I might take you seriously. I'm fine with disagreement so long as the person I'm disagreeing with has substance to their position and this, sadly, is where you consistently come up short.

Harry Kane is he world class? on 14:01 - Jul 12 with 2728 viewsghostofescobar

Not yet, but he can be. He can't be judged as world class on this World Cup. If that were the case, Messi is awful!

GhostOfEscobar

Harry Kane is he world class? on 14:09 - Jul 12 with 2714 viewschristiand

Harry Kane is he world class? on 14:00 - Jul 12 by Herbivore

When you can produce a credible argument for him not being world class then I might take you seriously. I'm fine with disagreement so long as the person I'm disagreeing with has substance to their position and this, sadly, is where you consistently come up short.

Yes, yes and I’ll make sure that I agree with everything you say because you are the font of all knowledge, how dare we have a contrasting view!! Now if you don’t mind jogging on, you’re ruining a perfectly good thread here, it’s becoming petty. Besides I’d like to read what others have got to say, I know where you stand on this debate.

Harry Kane is he world class? on 14:23 - Jul 12 with 2700 viewschicoazul

Certainly wasnt world class last night, didn't look fit to me to be fair. But he was excellent against Pan, Tun, and the first hour or so against Columbia in particular when he held the ball up, drew fouls and had good movement. Not done anything against the best international teams yet. So not quite for me, no.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Harry Kane is he world class? on 14:47 - Jul 12 with 2678 viewschristiand

Harry Kane is he world class? on 14:23 - Jul 12 by chicoazul

Certainly wasnt world class last night, didn't look fit to me to be fair. But he was excellent against Pan, Tun, and the first hour or so against Columbia in particular when he held the ball up, drew fouls and had good movement. Not done anything against the best international teams yet. So not quite for me, no.

Apologies chicoazul, had the attack of the fat fingers syndrome, balanced this up with an uppie arrow!!

Harry Kane is he world class? on 15:09 - Jul 12 with 2665 viewsbadadski

Harry Kane is he world class? on 14:47 - Jul 12 by christiand

Apologies chicoazul, had the attack of the fat fingers syndrome, balanced this up with an uppie arrow!!

I'll be honest, my estimations of Kane went up massively this world cup. World class, undoubtedly. No where near levels of Messi or Ron at their peak but he is still improving. His consistent goals in premier league and all around play internationally prove his ability.

The thing that impressed me most this tournament was his all around awareness and hold up play. Involving others around him, planning and drawing fouls with his hold up play allowing other players to get up the pitch or to have a breather.

Him, Pickford, Maguire and Trippier by far England's players of the tournament for me
Harry Kane is he world class? on 15:12 - Jul 12 with 2664 viewscrazyblue68

No, very over rated, and he definately shouldnt be captain of England. No leadership qualities whatsoever last night, he just went missing for most of that game and the previous game. Cannot see why he was given the captaincy.
Harry Kane is he world class? on 15:35 - Jul 12 with 2651 viewsCurrie10

Harry Kane is he world class? on 12:40 - Jul 12 by Garv

I said at the start of the tourney that we were pinning too many hopes on him and that he could flop. Obviously can't say he's flopped as he's likely to win the GB but you're right to reference the lack of goals from open play, and clearly last night he wasn't on form. Lacked mobility (thought that the whole tournament) and should have done better with both chances.

Don't see how we can be world class.

Course he is.

Name me ONE better out and out striker in world football than Kane.
Harry Kane is he world class? on 16:55 - Jul 12 with 2617 viewsNo9

Harry's club manager has said many times that, Harry is the best striker int he world-
Not that he's biased?
Harry Kane is he world class? on 16:56 - Jul 12 with 2615 viewschicoazul

Harry Kane is he world class? on 15:35 - Jul 12 by Currie10

Course he is.

Name me ONE better out and out striker in world football than Kane.

Ronaldo.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Harry Kane is he world class? on 16:58 - Jul 12 with 2613 viewsSamWhiteUK

For me, Kane is world class. Outstanding performer for club, and key man for country in a team that reached the semi final. He's still on for the golden boot. A transfer fee for him would be immense. Not sure what else he can do
Harry Kane is he world class? on 17:19 - Jul 12 with 2603 viewsTJS

Well he's going to win the golden boot at the World Cup so I would say yes.
Harry Kane is he world class? on 17:29 - Jul 12 with 2592 viewspoppiesman

Well this squad far outperformed the squad when we had so called world class players such as Rooney, Lampard and Gerrard in it.
Harry Kane is he world class? on 17:45 - Jul 12 with 2580 viewsCurrie10

Harry Kane is he world class? on 16:56 - Jul 12 by chicoazul

Ronaldo.

Not an out and out striker.

Try again.
Harry Kane is he world class? on 18:11 - Jul 12 with 2570 viewsHerbivore

Harry Kane is he world class? on 17:45 - Jul 12 by Currie10

Not an out and out striker.

Try again.

He is these days and has been for a good 3 or 4 years now.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024