Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Might have already been done to death on here 15:38 - Jul 12 with 3704 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

After a quick scroll I didn't see a specific thread though. Was Southgate found wanting a little tactically 22 minutes away from a World Cup final? After they bulked up on the wings second last night the midfield completely passed us by. Only one team was going to win it after they got level.

Furthermore the ref was poor I thought. Don't mind the non whistles for the ticky tacky stuff but god almighty they were clattering into us, some obvious bookings and general fouls he missed. I took the loss ok last night but this morning I woke up angry. They were there for the taking first half.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2018 15:39]
Might have already been done to death on here on 15:42 - Jul 12 with 3661 viewsDanFord

As a result of scoring early, we probably had less of the ball than we expected and started to tire with Croatia having most of the ball second half in particular. We had a couple of scares at back and seemed to lose our willingness to keep the ball defensively, instead aiming balls forward aimlessly, which comes down to a lack of experience. Croatia were far more composed through their greater experience. We didn't keep the ball and take the pressure off and got sucked into a pattern of turning the ball over to them for long spells. A bit naïve. Not really Southgate's fault and we didn't have much to counter it. They also have a ridiculous midfield with Modric and Rakatic arguably the best partnership at keeping the ball now Iniesta and Xavi aren't together at Barca. We just didn't have enough nous in the end with the players or management. Not their fault. Just how it was.

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

Might have already been done to death on here on 15:44 - Jul 12 with 3643 viewsTractorJack

Probably should have sacrificed a striker for an extra man in midfield but maybe he was hoping for a chance on the break? We always knew keeping the ball in midfield would be a weakness with this squad though.

No idea how Lovren escaped a yellow, two very cynical fouls from him.
Might have already been done to death on here on 15:44 - Jul 12 with 3644 viewsReuser_is_God

Yeah I’d say he was & that he didn’t react quick enough to them dominating us on the wings.

But hey, he got us to the semi finals so he know what he’s doing & I’m sure he’ll learn a lot from last night.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Might have already been done to death on here on 15:45 - Jul 12 with 3643 viewsJakeITFC

Poor tactically all tournament really, but we were completely outplayed in the second half and extra time last night.

We HAD to adjust to them spreading the ball so quickly and getting the central midfielders on the ball regularly. Keeping two players up top when Sterling went off (who was excellent again, btw) was the wrong decision.
Might have already been done to death on here on 15:56 - Jul 12 with 3598 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

No, I don't think he was found wanting at all.

There wasn't too much else he could do.

Henderson was fatigued and not fully fit, he brought Dier on, that allowed Maguire to venture forward to some effect.

Southgates choices were limited by his personnel.

What would you have done with the value of hindsight??

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Might have already been done to death on here on 16:06 - Jul 12 with 3572 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Might have already been done to death on here on 15:56 - Jul 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

Henderson was fatigued and not fully fit, he brought Dier on, that allowed Maguire to venture forward to some effect.

Don't get me wrong he has done brilliantly with this young team

Probably packed the midfield and hoped for best.
Might have already been done to death on here on 16:07 - Jul 12 with 3551 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Might have already been done to death on here on 15:45 - Jul 12 by JakeITFC

Poor tactically all tournament really, but we were completely outplayed in the second half and extra time last night.

We HAD to adjust to them spreading the ball so quickly and getting the central midfielders on the ball regularly. Keeping two players up top when Sterling went off (who was excellent again, btw) was the wrong decision.

Don't disagree.
Might have already been done to death on here on 16:11 - Jul 12 with 3534 viewsJakeITFC

Might have already been done to death on here on 15:56 - Jul 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

Well seeing as he did nothing tactically at 1-0 or 1-1, there was literally limitless things he could have tried to wrestle the initiative back or stifle Croatia.

We just sat and waited for their dominance to pay off.
Login to get fewer ads

Might have already been done to death on here on 16:12 - Jul 12 with 3531 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Might have already been done to death on here on 16:06 - Jul 12 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Don't get me wrong he has done brilliantly with this young team

Probably packed the midfield and hoped for best.

I imagine the decisions to take off Henderson and Young were pretty much enforced, so he didn't exactly how a lot of cards left to play..

Though I can understand the call for RLC to replace Sterling instead of Rashford, but hindsight is a wonderful thing and at that stage we perhaps needed to be a bit more adventurous. My only gripe was that Rose provided a lot more balance than Young and could have been introduced earlier (again, hindsight is a wonderful thing)
Might have already been done to death on here on 16:13 - Jul 12 with 3522 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Might have already been done to death on here on 16:12 - Jul 12 by King_of_Portman_Rd

I imagine the decisions to take off Henderson and Young were pretty much enforced, so he didn't exactly how a lot of cards left to play..

Though I can understand the call for RLC to replace Sterling instead of Rashford, but hindsight is a wonderful thing and at that stage we perhaps needed to be a bit more adventurous. My only gripe was that Rose provided a lot more balance than Young and could have been introduced earlier (again, hindsight is a wonderful thing)

Plenty of arguments for him to start really (Rose).
Might have already been done to death on here on 16:17 - Jul 12 with 3506 viewsSteve_M

Yes, we needed to put an extra midfielder in but he was reluctant to do so. Had we avoided the goal then it might still have worked but there were only so many times we could let Croatia sling crosses across the box without one falling for the wrong player.

I don't think that detracts from the overall job Southgate has done but tournament football is decided by small magins. I think both semi finals were won by the coach who ultimately got it more right than his opponent.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2018 16:22]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Might have already been done to death on here on 16:21 - Jul 12 with 3476 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Might have already been done to death on here on 16:17 - Jul 12 by Steve_M

Yes, we needed to put an extra midfielder in but he was reluctant to do so. Had we avoided the goal then it might still have worked but there were only so many times we could let Croatia sling crosses across the box without one falling for the wrong player.

I don't think that detracts from the overall job Southgate has done but tournament football is decided by small magins. I think both semi finals were won by the coach who ultimately got it more right than his opponent.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2018 16:22]

Dier and Delph for Lingard + Alli on 60 minutes.
Might have already been done to death on here on 16:22 - Jul 12 with 3473 viewsLamp

Yes - he actually had the flexibility to switch to a 4-5-1 which might have stopped the crosses from pinging in.

Hoddle & Bilic had a very good tactical discussion after the game on ITV
Might have already been done to death on here on 16:22 - Jul 12 with 3471 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Might have already been done to death on here on 16:11 - Jul 12 by JakeITFC

Well seeing as he did nothing tactically at 1-0 or 1-1, there was literally limitless things he could have tried to wrestle the initiative back or stifle Croatia.

We just sat and waited for their dominance to pay off.

Your lack of specific suggestions speaks volumes.

Of course it also helped Croatia that they have one of the worlds best midfielders dictating play.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Might have already been done to death on here on 16:26 - Jul 12 with 3441 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Might have already been done to death on here on 16:22 - Jul 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

Your lack of specific suggestions speaks volumes.

Of course it also helped Croatia that they have one of the worlds best midfielders dictating play.

I just gave you a suggestion above. Stop pretending because we might have done something different that we are not proud of this team or we unpatriotic or something. I said to my friend at the time they need to beef up the midfield immediately as Croatia are starting to run the show.
Might have already been done to death on here on 16:27 - Jul 12 with 3436 viewsNo9

Croatia's midfiled was always going to be England undoing- which is probably good the young team didn't have to meet up with France.
But blame can't really be put at GS feet, most of the best midfield players plying their trade in England won't qualify for selection for the national team.
Somethign that needs to be addressed but when you can buy what you need who spends time of development?
Might have already been done to death on here on 16:29 - Jul 12 with 3427 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Might have already been done to death on here on 16:27 - Jul 12 by No9

Croatia's midfiled was always going to be England undoing- which is probably good the young team didn't have to meet up with France.
But blame can't really be put at GS feet, most of the best midfield players plying their trade in England won't qualify for selection for the national team.
Somethign that needs to be addressed but when you can buy what you need who spends time of development?

Lingard and a very ineffective Alli against that pairing, it was silly to leave it like that in the second half. Had Dier and Delph on the bench. Just my opinion of course.
Might have already been done to death on here on 16:32 - Jul 12 with 3414 viewsCurrie10

This will go down like a led balloon and happy to get stick but noway in hell would Wilshire not have gone for me.

Yes, good chance of crocked and down to 22 but that's still a big enough squad.

Sure, want everyone fit but in an ideal world only 15-16 of the players are going to feature bar reserve games like Belgium in the group.

So providing fit, would have had no trouble shoving Jack on yesterday. Would have added much needed energy / ball retention to CM. Big fan of his.
Might have already been done to death on here on 16:34 - Jul 12 with 3400 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Might have already been done to death on here on 16:32 - Jul 12 by Currie10

This will go down like a led balloon and happy to get stick but noway in hell would Wilshire not have gone for me.

Sure, want everyone fit but in an ideal world only 15-16 of the players are going to feature bar reserve games like Belgium in the group.

So providing fit, would have had no trouble shoving Jack on yesterday. Would have added much needed energy / ball retention to CM. Big fan of his.

Yes but he wasn't in Moscow so we should have tried something else.
Might have already been done to death on here on 16:42 - Jul 12 with 3382 viewsCurrie10

Might have already been done to death on here on 16:34 - Jul 12 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Yes but he wasn't in Moscow so we should have tried something else.

Okay - based on the options last night was amazed Loftus Chiek didn't get a single minute. Absolutely amazed.
Might have already been done to death on here on 16:44 - Jul 12 with 3370 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Might have already been done to death on here on 16:42 - Jul 12 by Currie10

Okay - based on the options last night was amazed Loftus Chiek didn't get a single minute. Absolutely amazed.

Not really the game for him. Maybe at 1-1 for Alli but at 1-0 we should have looked at Dier and Delph to break up the play in the middle
Might have already been done to death on here on 17:50 - Jul 12 with 3260 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Might have already been done to death on here on 16:32 - Jul 12 by Currie10

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Might have already been done to death on here on 20:54 - Jul 12 with 3156 viewsLeoMuff

Might have already been done to death on here on 16:44 - Jul 12 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Not really the game for him. Maybe at 1-1 for Alli but at 1-0 we should have looked at Dier and Delph to break up the play in the middle

We seemed to be crying out for a midfielder RLC for alli, would have been far better than rashford for sterling. The same vs Columbia but we got away with that one.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024