Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A question for vegetarians (..really hope this can not be aggressive..) 12:19 - Jul 14 with 9945 viewsSwailsey

I am what I like to think is a pretty thorough vegetarian.

I don’t eat any fish, meat, no gelatine and avoid products (clothes, cosmetic)with animals in when I can.

One thing I’ve never thought about is the less obvious animal by products which can be found in shoes etc. I’ve recently bought some new Nike’s and I didn’t realise that they were part suede and it isnlescig me in slight turmoil about what to do. I’m not a vegan and don’t profess to be, and for my own sanity I have to draw the line.

I’m aware some will think I’m doing too much and others not enough, but to fellow veggies out there - am I bad? Over thinking it? Scum?

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

A question for vegetarians (..really hope this can not be aggressive..) on 12:22 - Jul 14 with 5004 viewsBrixtonBlue

I thought being a vegetarian was about not eating meat? As long as you don't eat your trainers I think you're alright.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

A question for vegetarians (..really hope this can not be aggressive..) on 12:29 - Jul 14 with 4960 viewsHerbivore

I've always been careful not to buy leather or suede products, I wouldn't beat yourself up over it though. It's fairly easily done, especially if the leather or suede is only used in a small part of the trainers. I tend to check the label on the tongue of shoes to check what they're made of as I seem to recall I've done similar to you previously.
[Post edited 14 Jul 2018 12:38]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

A question for vegetarians (..really hope this can not be aggressive..) on 12:31 - Jul 14 with 4954 viewsJ2BLUE

You’re a good guy mate. Don’t worry about it. Next time you will know and can buy different ones. Keep the trainers and enjoy them. If it helps you, your error will have a positive impact as I’m sure some on here, including me, had no idea there were animal products in trainers. I’ll be honest, I genuinely didn’t know what suede was made from.

No one is perfect. Don’t beat yourself up over it. Oh and any fivers you don’t want to use you can send to me. I’m such a nice bloke...

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

A question for vegetarians (..really hope this can not be aggressive..) on 12:34 - Jul 14 with 4941 viewsitfcjoe

I’m not a veggie...

But, there will always be a ‘better’ veggie than you, do just do what you can and feel happy with.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

A question for vegetarians (..really hope this can not be aggressive..) on 12:37 - Jul 14 with 4915 viewsSarge

I think you’re already beyond the realm of vegetarian
A question for vegetarians (..really hope this can not be aggressive..) on 12:39 - Jul 14 with 4899 viewsHerbivore

A question for vegetarians (..really hope this can not be aggressive..) on 12:37 - Jul 14 by Sarge

I think you’re already beyond the realm of vegetarian

Not really, it's pretty standard for vegetarians who are vegetarian on moral rather than lifestyle grounds to avoid buying leather and suede.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

A question for vegetarians (..really hope this can not be aggressive..) on 17:09 - Jul 14 with 4726 viewseireblue

All too easy to do.

I am hopping to wear out my current trainers so I can get some of these

https://wills-vegan-shoes.com/men-s-oakes-cross-running-trainer.html

Sometimes these guys do good stuff.
https://www.vegetarian-shoes.co.uk/mens/mens_casuals__trainers/10027_0c.html

To the earlier comment made by someone about being a "better veggie".
It really isn't about that at all.

I like to help other veggies/vegans, so will use my hard earned to support like minded people.
A question for vegetarians (..really hope this can not be aggressive..) on 17:16 - Jul 14 with 4716 viewsjeera

A question for vegetarians (..really hope this can not be aggressive..) on 12:29 - Jul 14 by Herbivore

I've always been careful not to buy leather or suede products, I wouldn't beat yourself up over it though. It's fairly easily done, especially if the leather or suede is only used in a small part of the trainers. I tend to check the label on the tongue of shoes to check what they're made of as I seem to recall I've done similar to you previously.
[Post edited 14 Jul 2018 12:38]

I hate to say this but if they contain tongue then that's unlikely to be vegetarian.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Login to get fewer ads

A question for vegetarians (..really hope this can not be aggressive..) on 17:18 - Jul 14 with 4703 viewsericclacton

I'm vegetarian and this is my secret on the shoe issue.

it takes a few tries to get the knack, but stick with it.

A question for vegetarians (..really hope this can not be aggressive..) on 17:23 - Jul 14 with 4686 viewsmos

A question for vegetarians (..really hope this can not be aggressive..) on 12:22 - Jul 14 by BrixtonBlue

I thought being a vegetarian was about not eating meat? As long as you don't eat your trainers I think you're alright.

Oh dear.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

A question for vegetarians (..really hope this can not be aggressive..) on 17:29 - Jul 14 with 4662 viewsBrixtonBlue

A question for vegetarians (..really hope this can not be aggressive..) on 17:23 - Jul 14 by mos

Oh dear.

?

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

A question for vegetarians (..really hope this can not be aggressive..) on 17:33 - Jul 14 with 4641 viewsGlasgowBlue

A question for vegetarians (..really hope this can not be aggressive..) on 17:29 - Jul 14 by BrixtonBlue

?

As I underatand it, a vegetarian doesn't use any by-products of slaughter. So it's not just about diet. It's leather products, fur etc.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

A question for vegetarians (..really hope this can not be aggressive..) on 17:34 - Jul 14 with 4647 viewsjeera

A question for vegetarians (..really hope this can not be aggressive..) on 17:29 - Jul 14 by BrixtonBlue

?

Age thing.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

A question for vegetarians (..really hope this can not be aggressive..) on 17:35 - Jul 14 with 4646 viewsmos

?

Surely if you choose not to eat meat for the sake of the well-being of an animal then you wouldn’t wear shoes that have been created through the slaughter of animals.

Unless the vegetarian’s motives are for personal health reasons.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum

A question for vegetarians (..really hope this can not be aggressive..) on 17:50 - Jul 14 with 4596 viewsBrixtonBlue

A question for vegetarians (..really hope this can not be aggressive..) on 17:35 - Jul 14 by mos

Surely if you choose not to eat meat for the sake of the well-being of an animal then you wouldn’t wear shoes that have been created through the slaughter of animals.

Unless the vegetarian’s motives are for personal health reasons.

I know veggies who have worn leather shoes and/or jackets.

The Vegetarian Society defines a vegetarian as follows:
"A vegetarian is someone who lives on a diet of grains, pulses, legumes, nuts, seeds, vegetables, fruits, fungi, algae, yeast and/or some other non-animal-based foods (e.g. salt) with, or without, dairy products, honey and/or eggs. A vegetarian does not eat foods that consist of, or have been produced with the aid of products consisting of or created from, any part of the body of a living or dead animal. This includes meat, poultry, fish, shellfish*, insects, by-products of slaughter** or any food made with processing aids created from these."

So your "oh dear" comment was a little uncharitable.

A question for vegetarians (..really hope this can not be aggressive..) on 17:51 - Jul 14 with 4595 viewsBrixtonBlue

A question for vegetarians (..really hope this can not be aggressive..) on 17:33 - Jul 14 by GlasgowBlue

As I underatand it, a vegetarian doesn't use any by-products of slaughter. So it's not just about diet. It's leather products, fur etc.

See my reply to mos.

A question for vegetarians (..really hope this can not be aggressive..) on 17:56 - Jul 14 with 4582 viewsmos

A question for vegetarians (..really hope this can not be aggressive..) on 17:50 - Jul 14 by BrixtonBlue

I know veggies who have worn leather shoes and/or jackets.

The Vegetarian Society defines a vegetarian as follows:
"A vegetarian is someone who lives on a diet of grains, pulses, legumes, nuts, seeds, vegetables, fruits, fungi, algae, yeast and/or some other non-animal-based foods (e.g. salt) with, or without, dairy products, honey and/or eggs. A vegetarian does not eat foods that consist of, or have been produced with the aid of products consisting of or created from, any part of the body of a living or dead animal. This includes meat, poultry, fish, shellfish*, insects, by-products of slaughter** or any food made with processing aids created from these."

So your "oh dear" comment was a little uncharitable.

Fair enough, you win.

- Although it would be interesting to hear why your vegetarian friends are in fact vegetarian.
[Post edited 14 Jul 2018 17:58]

A question for vegetarians (..really hope this can not be aggressive..) on 18:02 - Jul 14 with 4559 viewsconnorscontract

My reading on developmental psychology, and in particular moral and ethical development, would suggest that you are probably around 23 years old. Am I right?

The answer is that the cow's already dead. You made an innocent mistake. If you throw away the shoes it doesn't help the cow. If you replace the shoes, even with vegan hemp leather sandals, it still has a net negative impact on the environment.

You made an innocent mistake. You'll be aware of it for next time. Wear the shoes until they wear out.
A question for vegetarians (..really hope this can not be aggressive..) on 19:30 - Jul 14 with 4485 viewsBackToRussia

A question for vegetarians (..really hope this can not be aggressive..) on 18:02 - Jul 14 by connorscontract

My reading on developmental psychology, and in particular moral and ethical development, would suggest that you are probably around 23 years old. Am I right?

The answer is that the cow's already dead. You made an innocent mistake. If you throw away the shoes it doesn't help the cow. If you replace the shoes, even with vegan hemp leather sandals, it still has a net negative impact on the environment.

You made an innocent mistake. You'll be aware of it for next time. Wear the shoes until they wear out.

Ooo guess me now

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

A question for vegetarians (..really hope this can not be aggressive..) on 00:51 - Jul 15 with 4386 viewsconnorscontract

A question for vegetarians (..really hope this can not be aggressive..) on 19:30 - Jul 14 by BackToRussia

Ooo guess me now

Post a moral issue that you struggle with and why and I'll have
a go ...

The OP shows signs of wanting to move from a clear-cut view of the world to something more nuanced, but still has a fair bit of attachment to a more absolutist approach to vegetarianism.

Argued absolutist moral views are particularly typical of people aged 16 to 25. Before that age moral views are often accepted at face value without being rationalised.

I'm going for 23.
A question for vegetarians (..really hope this can not be aggressive..) on 00:56 - Jul 15 with 4369 viewsmos

A question for vegetarians (..really hope this can not be aggressive..) on 00:51 - Jul 15 by connorscontract

a go ...

The OP shows signs of wanting to move from a clear-cut view of the world to something more nuanced, but still has a fair bit of attachment to a more absolutist approach to vegetarianism.

Argued absolutist moral views are particularly typical of people aged 16 to 25. Before that age moral views are often accepted at face value without being rationalised.

I'm going for 23.

Well he’s 74.

A question for vegetarians (..really hope this can not be aggressive..) on 00:57 - Jul 15 with 4370 viewsSwailsey

A question for vegetarians (..really hope this can not be aggressive..) on 18:02 - Jul 14 by connorscontract

Thanks all.

I’m 30 actually! But did take the trainers back today, as they were still unworn.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

A question for vegetarians (..really hope this can not be aggressive..) on 03:52 - Jul 15 with 4308 viewsmonytowbray

My “leather” jacket and Doc Martens are both vegan. In fact I got the jacket before I was even vegan as I knew I was going to make the switch one day (it was something I’d wanted to do for ages before I did) and I didn’t want to customise it only to have to scrap it. A lot of time and TLC has gone into that jacket!

https://instagram.com/p/Bj-pIHBHzBZ/

https://instagram.com/p/BjqFzUfnXZu/

I do have a couple of pairs of shoes I don’t believe are vegan friendly I still wear, but I’ve had these for years and it would be wasteful to chuck them. I’m letting them wear down to being beyond wearable and then that’s the end of them. I think the only two pairs I still have that aren’t animal free are my Adidas shells and my Converse All Stars (which frustratingly are pretty much vegan material wise but they can’t promise the glues they use are okay as they don’t know).

My Vans and work shoes are vegan but I got them in the last year. My other half recently got shot of the last two leather items she owned earlier this year. She had a Ferrari racing jacket she utterly loved and I think it was very hard for her to let go as it was an official one you don’t ever see about.

Seeing as your fashion and culture references align somewhat with mine, I’d recommend checking out Vegan Skate Blog: http://veganskateblog.com
[Post edited 15 Jul 2018 4:10]

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

A question for vegetarians (..really hope this can not be aggressive..) on 04:00 - Jul 15 with 4305 viewsmonytowbray

A question for vegetarians (..really hope this can not be aggressive..) on 00:51 - Jul 15 by connorscontract

a go ...

I'm going for 23.

Sorry, fat thumb downvote!

I was 18 when I first went veggie. Did it 3 years and was really run down health wise. Mum convinced me it was because I didn’t eat meat and I stupidly went back to it. Hindsight suggests it was more likely the 20+ fags I smoked a day, the 4-5 nights a week I was drunk and living on takeaways. #unilife

My biggest regret is not realising that and going back to it earlier. Being with another vegan has made it much easier. When I was with my ex of almost 8 years I tried to get her to do it with me a number of times but she didn’t care for it. The idea of eating meat or cheese is a foreign concept for me now. Don’t want it, don’t need it.
[Post edited 15 Jul 2018 4:06]

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

A question for vegetarians (..really hope this can not be aggressive..) on 07:52 - Jul 15 with 4228 viewsSwailsey

A question for vegetarians (..really hope this can not be aggressive..) on 03:52 - Jul 15 by monytowbray

My “leather” jacket and Doc Martens are both vegan. In fact I got the jacket before I was even vegan as I knew I was going to make the switch one day (it was something I’d wanted to do for ages before I did) and I didn’t want to customise it only to have to scrap it. A lot of time and TLC has gone into that jacket!

https://instagram.com/p/Bj-pIHBHzBZ/

https://instagram.com/p/BjqFzUfnXZu/

I do have a couple of pairs of shoes I don’t believe are vegan friendly I still wear, but I’ve had these for years and it would be wasteful to chuck them. I’m letting them wear down to being beyond wearable and then that’s the end of them. I think the only two pairs I still have that aren’t animal free are my Adidas shells and my Converse All Stars (which frustratingly are pretty much vegan material wise but they can’t promise the glues they use are okay as they don’t know).

My Vans and work shoes are vegan but I got them in the last year. My other half recently got shot of the last two leather items she owned earlier this year. She had a Ferrari racing jacket she utterly loved and I think it was very hard for her to let go as it was an official one you don’t ever see about.

Seeing as your fashion and culture references align somewhat with mine, I’d recommend checking out Vegan Skate Blog: http://veganskateblog.com
[Post edited 15 Jul 2018 4:10]

Thanks man!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024