Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
PH has definitely got the hump 07:48 - Jul 16 with 15253 viewstextbackup

With a few of them players hasn’t he, his comments on the Doz story - he wants the ball but you can’t say that about others - etc

I wonder who is struggling to buy into want he wants.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

PH has definitely got the hump on 07:56 - Jul 16 with 6262 viewsWestcountryblue

Does sound like it, plus I think he made a dig about not all of the players buying into the running.

PH strikes me as being a bit of a Fergie character, I don’t think he is afraid to make big calls or move on players who don’t buy into his expectations.

Sounds like there is a much tighter control on players. There is absolutely no way that PH is going to accept second best in terms of effort.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2018 7:57]
PH has definitely got the hump on 07:57 - Jul 16 with 6246 viewsdavblue

It could be a long hard season for us and some of the players. Still early days but you get the impression if they don't grasp it they will be out sharpish.

It will take time to drum out some of Micks ingrained tactics, certainly building from the back and not pumping it into the channels for the full backs.
PH has definitely got the hump on 08:08 - Jul 16 with 6158 viewstractorboy1978

Also doesn't seem confident of getting Tilt.
PH has definitely got the hump on 08:11 - Jul 16 with 6138 viewsunstableblue

Certainly he’s of the mind set that pre-season games DO MATTER. He’s trying to bed in a new system and ethos... and he wants to do it BEFORE the first game of the season.

He’s also in my view highlighting the #1 issue with Town under Mick - a static team that did not pass and move and players not providing options to the player on the ball. Hence cheap handover of posession and limited attack.

Now whilst I admire his honesty it certainly is a different style of management calling out players in this way, and the senior pros are not used to this and it will be interesting to see how they react. I’m thinking Skuse and Chambers particularly.

I do also fear that this is a big change to our system and ethos - which is essential and so blatantly needed after 2 seasons where 90% of games were technically poor. But it’s a big undertaking and with sommmah new faces also expected, I can see a few hiccup results this season.

But Hurst is doing what’s needed so let’s back him. From the interviews I’m beginning to realise what a sharp cookie he is!

COYB

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

PH has definitely got the hump on 08:18 - Jul 16 with 6084 viewsitfcjoe

Got to be difficult for the players to adjust to trying to get on the ball when that just hasn't been the case. My guess would be full backs, deeper central midfielders and centre backs

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

PH has definitely got the hump on 08:18 - Jul 16 with 6082 viewshomer_123

Not the hump - merely laying down the ground rules.

This is, in part, why I would not be surprised to see Waghorn or Garner go (or even Bart after he signs a new contract).

If Hurst has looked at the squad and decided he needs more wholesale changes, he can only do that with some funds coming in.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

PH has definitely got the hump on 08:27 - Jul 16 with 5983 viewshomer_123

PH has definitely got the hump on 08:18 - Jul 16 by itfcjoe

Got to be difficult for the players to adjust to trying to get on the ball when that just hasn't been the case. My guess would be full backs, deeper central midfielders and centre backs

and forwards and wide players.

PH has definitely got the hump on 08:29 - Jul 16 with 5976 viewsDanTheMan

Not holding back is he? Going to be a big change for a few players.

Hoping we can at least get the majority bought in before the season opener.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Login to get fewer ads

PH has definitely got the hump on 08:33 - Jul 16 with 5922 viewsBackToRussia

I do wonder what the players think when they read stuff like that. I think if I were a footballer I'd feel a bit p1ssed off really, but our squad of players surely know what he says is true themselves so hopefully it doesn't alienate too many. Suppose at this stage in his tenure it's a sort of purposefully divisive statement to motivate the players.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

PH has definitely got the hump on 08:35 - Jul 16 with 5899 viewsReuser_is_God

PH has definitely got the hump on 08:33 - Jul 16 by BackToRussia

I do wonder what the players think when they read stuff like that. I think if I were a footballer I'd feel a bit p1ssed off really, but our squad of players surely know what he says is true themselves so hopefully it doesn't alienate too many. Suppose at this stage in his tenure it's a sort of purposefully divisive statement to motivate the players.

If him saying that players need to show for the ball ball alienates then then we’re in trouble, they’ve probably been told to ‘show for the ball’ everyday of their lives since they were 8 years old.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

PH has definitely got the hump on 08:36 - Jul 16 with 5895 viewsitfcjoe

I imagine he says it to them so none of it comes as any surprise

PH has definitely got the hump on 08:36 - Jul 16 with 5887 viewsKieran_Knows

PH has definitely got the hump on 08:35 - Jul 16 by Reuser_is_God

If him saying that players need to show for the ball ball alienates then then we’re in trouble, they’ve probably been told to ‘show for the ball’ everyday of their lives since they were 8 years old.

Possibly not the last 5 and a half years though .....

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

PH has definitely got the hump on 08:37 - Jul 16 with 5886 viewsartsbossbeard

I went along Saturday and I can understand why he's saying what he's saying.

Out bustled and out muscled all over the pitch and a severe lack of creation and endeavour when on the ball. 1st game with a load still not involved though.

Interestingly enough, I noted that the Braintree boss gave his lads a public dressing down after the Col U defeat and that certainly spurred them on Saturday. Hurst looking for the same reaction too?

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

PH has definitely got the hump on 08:38 - Jul 16 with 5866 viewshomer_123

I'd be surprised if he's saying anything to the press that he hasn't already made patently clearly to the players already.

PH has definitely got the hump on 08:38 - Jul 16 with 5858 viewsBackToRussia

PH has definitely got the hump on 08:36 - Jul 16 by itfcjoe

I imagine he says it to them so none of it comes as any surprise

Yes, I would very much hope he is talking to them about his expectations. Just as a general point I often wonder about the dynamic between what a manager says publicly and what he says to his player in private. Must be a hard one to navigate as a manager.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

PH has definitely got the hump on 08:39 - Jul 16 with 5835 viewsBackToRussia

PH has definitely got the hump on 08:35 - Jul 16 by Reuser_is_God

That's sort of the thing; he's publicly coming out and saying there's some players in my squad who aren't doing what a child playing the game should be doing. That's got to get at a a few of them, even if they've heard it before.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

PH has definitely got the hump on 08:40 - Jul 16 with 5835 viewsReuser_is_God

PH has definitely got the hump on 08:36 - Jul 16 by Kieran_Knows

Possibly not the last 5 and a half years though .....

That did cross my mind but I resisted the cheap dig at the messiah.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

PH has definitely got the hump on 08:40 - Jul 16 with 5845 viewsitfcjoe

PH has definitely got the hump on 08:38 - Jul 16 by BackToRussia

Yes, I would very much hope he is talking to them about his expectations. Just as a general point I often wonder about the dynamic between what a manager says publicly and what he says to his player in private. Must be a hard one to navigate as a manager.

It generally becomes more obvious over time - clear that Mick would never criticise players publicly. In fact when he backed them publicly it is usually because he has had a go privately as they often were dropped after a show of support

PH has definitely got the hump on 08:42 - Jul 16 with 5786 viewsBackToRussia

PH has definitely got the hump on 08:40 - Jul 16 by itfcjoe

It generally becomes more obvious over time - clear that Mick would never criticise players publicly. In fact when he backed them publicly it is usually because he has had a go privately as they often were dropped after a show of support

And in this instance where we presume the message is redoubled in public as well as in private training? Hopefully they're not bored of listening already! But I guess it's inevitable when a new manager takes over that some will not feel they fit into the new regime, and others will rise to the challenge.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

PH has definitely got the hump on 08:45 - Jul 16 with 5759 viewsSteve_M

PH has definitely got the hump on 08:18 - Jul 16 by homer_123

Not the hump - merely laying down the ground rules.

This is, in part, why I would not be surprised to see Waghorn or Garner go (or even Bart after he signs a new contract).

If Hurst has looked at the squad and decided he needs more wholesale changes, he can only do that with some funds coming in.

The season starts in less than three weeks, the transfer window closes very shortly after that. We don't have time for wholesale changes to the squad, especially given our recent record of trying to do late deals.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

PH has definitely got the hump on 08:45 - Jul 16 with 5754 viewsJimmy86

The players have been in a massive comfort zone under Mick. Rightly or perhaps at times wrongly Mick was too loyal to underperforming players, thus creating this comfort zone. Barring injuries or suspensions Mick invariably played the same team whenever he could regardless of whether players were in form.

Get the impression we won't see this from Hurst, which is good in my view. If you're not performing you don't play! Simple as that. It's going to be a shift in playing style and mentality/ethos
PH has definitely got the hump on 08:45 - Jul 16 with 5752 viewsPinewoodblue

PH clearly wants to put together a team in which each member, including those in the bench, sees each game as a challenge, an adventure. His comments suggest he sees players just turning up, doing a job and from personal experience that is likely to be senior pros.

It really is unfortunate that the transfer window closes just a few days into the season. Good news is you can sign a player on loan, in EFL, up until 31st August with an option to purchase in the January window.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

PH has definitely got the hump on 08:46 - Jul 16 with 5718 viewsBackToRussia

PH has definitely got the hump on 08:45 - Jul 16 by Steve_M

The season starts in less than three weeks, the transfer window closes very shortly after that. We don't have time for wholesale changes to the squad, especially given our recent record of trying to do late deals.

We certainly have to make a fair few additions in three weeks! But agree with you that losing any more major names at this stage would prove a chaos too far.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

PH has definitely got the hump on 08:50 - Jul 16 with 5674 viewshomer_123

PH has definitely got the hump on 08:45 - Jul 16 by Steve_M

I have a feeling we'll make a somewhat iffy start to the season to be honest. Still not many our more creative players in a position to start and only a small number of signings that don't appear anything over and above what we have.

Just hope that PH is given time.

PH has definitely got the hump on 08:51 - Jul 16 with 5682 viewsitfcjoe

PH has definitely got the hump on 08:45 - Jul 16 by Jimmy86

The players have been in a massive comfort zone under Mick. Rightly or perhaps at times wrongly Mick was too loyal to underperforming players, thus creating this comfort zone. Barring injuries or suspensions Mick invariably played the same team whenever he could regardless of whether players were in form.

Get the impression we won't see this from Hurst, which is good in my view. If you're not performing you don't play! Simple as that. It's going to be a shift in playing style and mentality/ethos

I don't think things will be that different once Hurst gets in his guys - all managers have a strongest team that they trust and very few chop and change quickly.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024