Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Where does Bart rank? 14:39 - Jul 16 with 13505 viewsjudespiveyg

Amongst the best goalkeepers Ipswich have ever had. For me he's the best I've seen but his competition has only involved the likes of Gerken, Loach and Lee-Barrett amongst others.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Where does Bart rank? on 18:49 - Jul 16 with 4042 viewsgazzer1999

Where does Bart rank? on 15:05 - Jul 16 by floridaboy

I started watching when Bailey in goal. Of those since him for me Paul Cooper is the best.

How anyone can say he was the weak link amazes me. We had a great side then of 11 very good players. Yes he had Hunter and Beattie in front but he was still a very good keeper.

Good debate though!

I remember from David Best, however I agree that Paul Cooper is the best I have seen at ITFC, He was certainly not the week link in that team from the late 70's early 80's, the week link was only having about 14 players to call on. In any other era without Clemence and Shilton, Cooper would 100% have been an international for England. Funny how these days England have players at a world cup who do not even play regular for their club sides.
Where does Bart rank? on 19:15 - Jul 16 with 4014 viewsitfcjoe

Where does Bart rank? on 16:31 - Jul 16 by Burwell_Blue

The original question was "Amongst the best goalkeepers Ipswich have ever had"

He played for us, therefore can be included.

If you think that someone like Wright was better than him, then I really despair.

Wright was better for Ipswich than Begovic

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Where does Bart rank? on 19:47 - Jul 16 with 3993 viewsBurwell_Blue

Where does Bart rank? on 19:15 - Jul 16 by itfcjoe

Wright was better for Ipswich than Begovic

Agree with that but he was streets ahead of anything we can muster.
Where does Bart rank? on 22:43 - Jul 16 with 3937 viewsfabian_illness

Everyone is forgetting Lee Bracey and Jon Hallworth.

Bart is a bit of a cult hero for town at the moment. Made some fantastic saves and has shone while the rest of the team have struggled with their work.
But he's not the best we've had by a long way.
Where does Bart rank? on 22:51 - Jul 16 with 3933 viewstextbackup

He probably doesn’t need to, his missus probably sorts him out nightly...

Oh you said ‘rank’

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Where does Bart rank? on 01:11 - Jul 17 with 3908 viewsKilburnBlue

Where does Bart rank? on 18:49 - Jul 16 by gazzer1999

I remember from David Best, however I agree that Paul Cooper is the best I have seen at ITFC, He was certainly not the week link in that team from the late 70's early 80's, the week link was only having about 14 players to call on. In any other era without Clemence and Shilton, Cooper would 100% have been an international for England. Funny how these days England have players at a world cup who do not even play regular for their club sides.

I think I'm correct in saying that Paul Cooper was voted the Players player of the year in our greatest ever season. That's some achievement.

Thought Paul Cooper did a very fine job for us myself. Sadly on you-tube you only really get to see the goals he was conceding rather then the saves he used to make.

Where does Bart rank? on 06:20 - Jul 17 with 3883 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Where does Bart rank? on 15:00 - Jul 16 by GeoffSentence

He was good, and yet in the 29 games he played for us we averaged 1.45 points per match, trailing behind the 1.53 we averaged in the 38 games ALB was between the sticks.

This is a common theme round about that time, when ALB was in goal, as a team we performed better than when he wasn't.

Lies, damn lies and ALB statistics.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Where does Bart rank? on 06:41 - Jul 17 with 3877 viewsWickwar_Blue

Behind Fred “the Mask” Barber.

(He played once (?) for Burley and his party piece was running onto the field wearing or carrying a rubber Halloween mask - I kid you not).
Login to get fewer ads

Where does Bart rank? on 09:38 - Jul 17 with 3857 viewsitfcbam

He isn't anywhere near the best ever, yet. While he makes fantastic saves there are still too many goals where you can look at and think might you have done better. I would certainly place him behind Cooper (who remember operated at the very top level), Wright (1st spell) and Kelvin Davis (who was massively underrated). However he is getting better each year and has potential to edge ahead of some of them in time.
Where does Bart rank? on 11:00 - Jul 17 with 3837 viewssticklegs

Where does Bart rank? on 14:42 - Jul 16 by itfcjoe

I think he has to be in the top 3 with regards to longevity and form.

For me he is up there with Richard Wright and Paul Cooper, personally I'd put him at number 1 but didn't see any of Cooper.

I always read that Cooper was the weak link in the great side, but he won the FA, UEFA and made over 500 appearances so can't have been that bad!

Paul Cooper was a fantastic keeper and certainly not the weak link in that great team. He was just unfortunate to be around at the same time as Clemance and Shilton, otherwise he could well have also been capped.

I've been watching Town for nearly 40 years and I'd say that Bart is the best keeper I've seen play for us.
Where does Bart rank? on 11:43 - Jul 17 with 3828 viewsMedwayTractor

Where does Bart rank? on 14:42 - Jul 16 by itfcjoe

I think he has to be in the top 3 with regards to longevity and form.

For me he is up there with Richard Wright and Paul Cooper, personally I'd put him at number 1 but didn't see any of Cooper.

I always read that Cooper was the weak link in the great side, but he won the FA, UEFA and made over 500 appearances so can't have been that bad!

Bart is 10th in the all-time goalkeeper appearance list:

Paul Cooper 575
Richard Wright 355
Roy Bailey 346
Craig Forrest 312
David Best 199
Ken Hancock 180
Ken Burns 175
Laurie Sivell 175
Jack Parry 153
Bartosz Bialkowski 148

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

Where does Bart rank? on 12:14 - Jul 17 with 3819 viewsitfcjoe

Where does Bart rank? on 11:43 - Jul 17 by MedwayTractor

Paul Cooper 575
Richard Wright 355
Roy Bailey 346
Craig Forrest 312
David Best 199
Ken Hancock 180
Ken Burns 175
Laurie Sivell 175
Jack Parry 153
Bartosz Bialkowski 148

Interesting that he could be basically 5th by the end of the season

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Where does Bart rank? on 18:18 - Jul 17 with 3770 viewssixtoperalta35

Was Dimitri Kharine (dodgy spelling) any good? All I remember as a kid was seeing him swing on the crossbar when Andy Cole took that quick free kick and lobbed him.
From then on, playing in the park, we would swing on the bar shouting Kharineeey, as you would if you hit a bar and in, YEBOAH!
Where does Bart rank? on 18:43 - Jul 17 with 3761 viewsVic

Where does Bart rank? on 15:05 - Jul 16 by floridaboy

I started watching when Bailey in goal. Of those since him for me Paul Cooper is the best.

How anyone can say he was the weak link amazes me. We had a great side then of 11 very good players. Yes he had Hunter and Beattie in front but he was still a very good keeper.

Good debate though!

My memory of cooper was that he was very, very consistent. Never dropped below a solid 7 in any match. He has fantastic reflexes and did a good job in commanding his area. Though not the tallest he was good at coming for crosses, and his kicking was also excellent.

He’s my #1,followed by Richard Wright, then Bart.

Craig Forest wasn’t bad either!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Where does Bart rank? on 19:58 - Jul 17 with 3749 viewsbgexile

He was good, and yet in the 29 games he played for us we averaged 1.45 points per match, trailing behind the 1.53 we averaged in the 38 games ALB was between the sticks.

This is a common theme round about that time, when ALB was in goal, as a team we performed better than when he wasn't.

Who is ALB?
Where does Bart rank? on 20:31 - Jul 17 with 3729 viewscjwinthesun

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned Laurie Sivelle. Despite him being one of the shortest goal keepers of his time he was good I thought. As good as Cooper for sure.
Where does Bart rank? on 21:45 - Jul 17 with 3714 viewssolemio

Where does Bart rank? on 20:31 - Jul 17 by cjwinthesun

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned Laurie Sivelle. Despite him being one of the shortest goal keepers of his time he was good I thought. As good as Cooper for sure.

Terrific shot stopper, Laurie, but I'm afraid his height was a disadvantage. It is idle to pretend that he was as good as Cooper.

He was superb in indoor 5-a-side.
Where does Bart rank? on 21:46 - Jul 17 with 3711 viewsJETPower

Where does Bart rank? on 11:43 - Jul 17 by MedwayTractor

Paul Cooper 575
Richard Wright 355
Roy Bailey 346
Craig Forrest 312
David Best 199
Ken Hancock 180
Ken Burns 175
Laurie Sivell 175
Jack Parry 153
Bartosz Bialkowski 148

Amazed Wright played that many games for us.

Cooper is clear number one in my eyes. Technically, Sereni and Begovic were better keepers than Bart, but they achieved less, so can't count ahead of him. Bart I think is technically better than Forrest.

On that basis Wright and probably Bailey are ahead of Bart also, but only just. Bart is though my favourite Town keeper, as I can't remember Cooper, never mind Bailey, and Wright left us for a nothing career, whereas Bart is still here.
Where does Bart rank? on 21:48 - Jul 17 with 3708 viewsSwailsey

You are my favourite.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Where does Bart rank? on 07:13 - Jul 20 with 3637 viewsCurrie10

Where does Bart rank? on 15:37 - Jul 16 by Burwell_Blue

Asmir Begović by a country mile.

LOL at those saying Wright.

Assume you didn't watch Wright the first time around, outstanding.
Where does Bart rank? on 07:15 - Jul 20 with 3635 viewsCurrie10

Where does Bart rank? on 19:58 - Jul 17 by bgexile

Who is ALB?

:O

You haven't!!!!

Adam Lee Barrett = GOD
Where does Bart rank? on 07:38 - Jul 20 with 3621 viewsRomeo4

Some of his performances last season were among the best I’ve ever seen. Can’t really judge him against the others without seeing him play at the top level. Unfortunately we’re unlikely to see him play at that level with Town.
Where does Bart rank? on 08:27 - Jul 20 with 3612 viewsNSL

No. 1 for a permanent keeper in my opinion and just edges Neil Alexander me looking at the last 15 years. We have had some quality keepers on loan. Begovic was class and Fulop would have to be up there as well. We havent done too badly for keepers.

Poll: Who was primarily at fault for the defensive mix-up yesterday?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024