Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Where does Bart rank? 14:39 - Jul 16 with 13554 viewsjudespiveyg

Amongst the best goalkeepers Ipswich have ever had. For me he's the best I've seen but his competition has only involved the likes of Gerken, Loach and Lee-Barrett amongst others.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Where does Bart rank? on 14:41 - Jul 16 with 4894 viewsSteve_M

The best since Kelvin Davies certainly.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Where does Bart rank? on 14:41 - Jul 16 with 4896 viewsDanFord

I personally think he may be the best ever. I guess in reality Cooper slightly edges him but was the weakest player in our magnificent team. If we'd have had Clemence or Shilton we'd have won 2 or 3 more league titles. I think Bart is better than Richard Wright was, who was absolute class. Sereni is underrated I think. Cooper played in the top division for us in a different era so it's hard to compare, but I certainly think Cooper was a Top 10 goalkeeper in a team of players that could get into any Top 3 side. Bart is a Top 10 / 15 goalkeeper in my eyes.

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

Where does Bart rank? on 14:41 - Jul 16 with 4887 viewsblueislander

For me he is behind; Bailey, Cooper, Wright and possibly Alexander.
Where does Bart rank? on 14:42 - Jul 16 with 4885 viewsitfcjoe

I think he has to be in the top 3 with regards to longevity and form.

For me he is up there with Richard Wright and Paul Cooper, personally I'd put him at number 1 but didn't see any of Cooper.

I always read that Cooper was the weak link in the great side, but he won the FA, UEFA and made over 500 appearances so can't have been that bad!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Where does Bart rank? on 14:43 - Jul 16 with 4859 viewsCurrie10

He's no Andy Marshall.
Where does Bart rank? on 14:43 - Jul 16 with 4875 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Where does Bart rank? on 14:44 - Jul 16 with 4863 viewsSmithy

Where does Bart rank? on 14:41 - Jul 16 by DanFord

I personally think he may be the best ever. I guess in reality Cooper slightly edges him but was the weakest player in our magnificent team. If we'd have had Clemence or Shilton we'd have won 2 or 3 more league titles. I think Bart is better than Richard Wright was, who was absolute class. Sereni is underrated I think. Cooper played in the top division for us in a different era so it's hard to compare, but I certainly think Cooper was a Top 10 goalkeeper in a team of players that could get into any Top 3 side. Bart is a Top 10 / 15 goalkeeper in my eyes.

Have loved seeing Bart perform over the last few seasons, but lets not forget Cooper was at Town for years and played 500 games, while if you watch back the Richard Wright years he was exceptional and really should have gone on to have a better career than he ultimately did

Cooper saved 8 out of 10 pens in one season, that is bonkers!!
[Post edited 16 Jul 2018 14:48]

37 years and counting!
Poll: We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most?

Where does Bart rank? on 14:45 - Jul 16 with 4856 viewsitfcjoe

Where does Bart rank? on 14:41 - Jul 16 by blueislander

For me he is behind; Bailey, Cooper, Wright and possibly Alexander.

Alexander only played 30 games for us, just don't think he can count because never had to bounce back from run of form or any adversity etc

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Where does Bart rank? on 14:46 - Jul 16 with 4836 viewsPJH

My real ITFC memories go back to Roy Bailey although I also saw Jack Parry and George McMillan before him and now that Bart is apparently here for a while longer he might solve the goalkeeping position for my all time ITFC team.
I have never been able to decide on my best ever ITFC keeper but if he continues to play as he has for the bulk of the last two and a half seasons then Bart may well solve that problem.
Where does Bart rank? on 14:47 - Jul 16 with 4830 viewsblueislander

Where does Bart rank? on 14:45 - Jul 16 by itfcjoe

Alexander only played 30 games for us, just don't think he can count because never had to bounce back from run of form or any adversity etc

He was pretty good though.
Where does Bart rank? on 14:48 - Jul 16 with 4833 viewsPhilTWTD

Where does Bart rank? on 14:41 - Jul 16 by DanFord

Sir Bob tried to sign Shilton and Pat Jennings. Bart's definitely up there near the top. Richard Wright probably ahead of him at his best for us, I'd say.
Where does Bart rank? on 14:49 - Jul 16 with 4809 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Where does Bart rank? on 14:48 - Jul 16 by PhilTWTD

Sir Bob tried to sign Shilton and Pat Jennings. Bart's definitely up there near the top. Richard Wright probably ahead of him at his best for us, I'd say.

I agree in his first spell.

Hard to rank Bart as the best as he hasnt played top flight for us.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Where does Bart rank? on 14:50 - Jul 16 with 4801 viewsSmithy

Where does Bart rank? on 14:47 - Jul 16 by blueislander

Alexander was bang average, was actually pretty poor until he had a run of a 2 or 3 pen saves which boosted his confidence. Kelvin Davis was decent, as was Craig Forrest and they should both be ahead of him.

37 years and counting!
Poll: We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most?

Where does Bart rank? on 14:50 - Jul 16 with 4798 viewsITFC_Forever

Up there with Wright and Cooper.

I only caught the end of Cooper's career, but you don't play >500 games for a side who were in the mix for the Div. 1 title virtually every season without being very good indeed. Whether that very high standard was quite up to what we needed is best commented on by others who can remember it better.

Wright was excellent for us, but only played one season in the Prem (not counting the couple of games Burley gave him in 1995 when we were already down).
So good though Bart is, I would put him behind Wright for that reason.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Where does Bart rank? on 14:50 - Jul 16 with 4794 viewsflimflam

He is one of the best we have had certainly top 3 and ahead of Paul Cooper who was not actually as good as people make out but played with 10 fantastic players in front of him.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Where does Bart rank? on 14:51 - Jul 16 with 4783 viewsblueislander

Where does Bart rank? on 14:48 - Jul 16 by PhilTWTD

Don't think we were ever close to getting Shilton, but we were very close to getting Jennings.
Where does Bart rank? on 14:56 - Jul 16 with 4729 viewshomer_123

Good, very good for this level but a long, long way off Cooper and Wrighty.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Where does Bart rank? on 14:56 - Jul 16 with 4729 viewsSmithy

Where does Bart rank? on 14:51 - Jul 16 by blueislander

Don't think we were ever close to getting Shilton, but we were very close to getting Jennings.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/pats-white-hart

37 years and counting!

Where does Bart rank? on 14:56 - Jul 16 with 4724 viewshomer_123

Where does Bart rank? on 14:41 - Jul 16 by Steve_M

The best since Kelvin Davies certainly.

Yes, that's who I was just trying to think of.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Where does Bart rank? on 14:59 - Jul 16 with 4724 viewsPhilTWTD

Where does Bart rank? on 14:51 - Jul 16 by blueislander

I have actually spoken to Shilts about it, name-droppingly enough! We had him on the radio a couple of years ago. Sir Bob wanted him but the fee was too much for us and he said that he was already set on joining Forest when our interest came in.

Jennings the main issue was that he wanted to stay living near London and travel in a couple of times a week - coincidentally given the discussions elsewhere on here today - and Sir Bob didn't think that he would be fully committed that being the case.

Further to the post with the link from the Belfast Telegraph, I've heard the money argument before, but I was led to believe, I think by a prominent member of the Town team of the time (but not the one I do the radio show with), that it was more the travelling issue that was the ultimate reason.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Where does Bart rank? on 15:00 - Jul 16 with 4697 viewsGeoffSentence

Where does Bart rank? on 14:47 - Jul 16 by blueislander

He was good, and yet in the 29 games he played for us we averaged 1.45 points per match, trailing behind the 1.53 we averaged in the 38 games ALB was between the sticks.

This is a common theme round about that time, when ALB was in goal, as a team we performed better than when he wasn't.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Where does Bart rank? on 15:01 - Jul 16 with 4681 viewsWestover

Ken Hancock was pretty good sold to Spurs so played second fiddle to Pat Jennings
Where does Bart rank? on 15:02 - Jul 16 with 4674 viewsRobTheMonk

Bart is going down in ITFC folklore regardless. It'll be him Pabs, Kuqi and Reuser sipping beers.
Where does Bart rank? on 15:05 - Jul 16 with 4656 viewsfloridaboy

Where does Bart rank? on 14:46 - Jul 16 by PJH

My real ITFC memories go back to Roy Bailey although I also saw Jack Parry and George McMillan before him and now that Bart is apparently here for a while longer he might solve the goalkeeping position for my all time ITFC team.
I have never been able to decide on my best ever ITFC keeper but if he continues to play as he has for the bulk of the last two and a half seasons then Bart may well solve that problem.

I started watching when Bailey in goal. Of those since him for me Paul Cooper is the best.

How anyone can say he was the weak link amazes me. We had a great side then of 11 very good players. Yes he had Hunter and Beattie in front but he was still a very good keeper.

Good debate though!
Where does Bart rank? on 15:09 - Jul 16 with 4609 viewsRegencyBlue

Where does Bart rank? on 14:56 - Jul 16 by homer_123

Good, very good for this level but a long, long way off Cooper and Wrighty.

I’d agree with that although personally I also rated Kelvin Davies from his time here.

Bart is the best we have had for a long time though.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024