Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Trump and fake news 19:20 - Jul 16 with 3374 viewshomer_123

I'm sure this has been discussed but Trump calls his own 'recorded' interview with The Sun 'Fake news'.

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-calls-his-own-sun-interview-fake-news-1022

Now, surely we are at a point where this has serious ramifications? Views on politics and politicians are low not just in the UK but worldwide, how does this affect the longer term? The POTUS blatantly lying and no one bats an eyelid here or at home.

This can't go on....can it?

Sure, we know politicians lie or bend, stretch the truth but this is getting beyond ridiculous.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Trump and fake news on 19:23 - Jul 16 with 3368 viewsBlueBadger

I dunno about anything else, but it's a wholly depressing state of affairs when The Sun is a more reliable source of truth than the US president.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Trump and fake news on 19:32 - Jul 16 with 3302 viewsStokieBlue

Yeah but they left out all the good things he said about May and Brexit.

FAKE NEWS.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Trump and fake news on 19:34 - Jul 16 with 3317 viewsGuthrum

"Fake news" doesn't mean news which is fake. It means "a thing which is different from Trump's professed views at that particular moment". Including things which he himself said previously.

"No longer relevant" might be a better rendering than "fake". The past has gone, is no longer true. Sort of like a reverse Papal Infallibility.

It allows Trump an unlimited ability to escape being pinned down by anything he says.

His core supporters simply don't care. They have mastered Doublethink, in which something can be both true and untrue at the same time. They also don't care what others think.

Neither does Trump himself. After all, he can make up a reality which is however he wants it to be. Where recent protests on UK and Finnish streets were as much in favour of him as against. That then becomes "true news".

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Trump and fake news on 19:42 - Jul 16 with 3271 viewsDarth_Koont

I liked to think that this post-Truth stuff has a novelty value after politicians generally being a bit sh!t before. When people realise that the Farages and the Trumps of this world aren't better once they get their way then hopefully we go back/forward to a time when politicians have integrity and aren't playing the mindless party political approach of saying and doing anything to win votes.

But ... there's a huge problem if people are increasingly tailoring their own news intake to Fox, Breitbart, YouTube videos and whoever they feel gets them on Twitter. How and when will they ever see what's really going on?

So yeah, unfortunately it can go on. Well beyond the initial joke.

Pronouns: He/Him

Trump and fake news on 19:47 - Jul 16 with 3250 viewshomer_123

Trump and fake news on 19:34 - Jul 16 by Guthrum

"Fake news" doesn't mean news which is fake. It means "a thing which is different from Trump's professed views at that particular moment". Including things which he himself said previously.

"No longer relevant" might be a better rendering than "fake". The past has gone, is no longer true. Sort of like a reverse Papal Infallibility.

It allows Trump an unlimited ability to escape being pinned down by anything he says.

His core supporters simply don't care. They have mastered Doublethink, in which something can be both true and untrue at the same time. They also don't care what others think.

Neither does Trump himself. After all, he can make up a reality which is however he wants it to be. Where recent protests on UK and Finnish streets were as much in favour of him as against. That then becomes "true news".

I fear you give them too much credit.

I don't feel they have the intelligence to think that way Guthers. More a case of say whatever the heck I like and who gives a sh*t about the outcome.

Trump and fake news on 19:48 - Jul 16 with 3242 viewshomer_123

Trump and fake news on 19:23 - Jul 16 by BlueBadger

I dunno about anything else, but it's a wholly depressing state of affairs when The Sun is a more reliable source of truth than the US president.

Indeed.

Trump and fake news on 19:50 - Jul 16 with 3237 viewshomer_123

Trump and fake news on 19:34 - Jul 16 by Guthrum

In all seriousness ... at what point is someone going to call it for what it is?

It's just outright lying.

Trump and fake news on 19:59 - Jul 16 with 3198 viewsDarth_Koont

Trump and fake news on 19:50 - Jul 16 by homer_123

In all seriousness ... at what point is someone going to call it for what it is?

Problem is that if you challenge politicians on lies like the 350 million for the NHS untruth or that Turkey was going to enter the EU within a couple of years and the UK couldn't do anything about it, they'll double down and argue for it. Again it makes no sense and they'll ignore the facts but you're taken down to their level and you both start looking stupid.

Being a bit thick and utterly shameless is Trump's real talent. He'll take a discussion places and in a way that no-one really feels comfortable following him.

Login to get fewer ads

Trump and fake news on 20:10 - Jul 16 with 3158 viewshomer_123

Trump and fake news on 19:59 - Jul 16 by Darth_Koont

Problem is that if you challenge politicians on lies like the 350 million for the NHS untruth or that Turkey was going to enter the EU within a couple of years and the UK couldn't do anything about it, they'll double down and argue for it. Again it makes no sense and they'll ignore the facts but you're taken down to their level and you both start looking stupid.

Being a bit thick and utterly shameless is Trump's real talent. He'll take a discussion places and in a way that no-one really feels comfortable following him.

No, I'm suggesting a very simple thing. They need to be called out as a 'liar', plain and simple. Instead of journalists asking questions, maybe stand there and call him a liar?

Edit: take your point about winning the argument as they bring you down to their level.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2018 20:12]

Trump and fake news on 20:13 - Jul 16 with 3145 viewsHerbivore

Trump and fake news on 20:10 - Jul 16 by homer_123

No, I'm suggesting a very simple thing. They need to be called out as a 'liar', plain and simple. Instead of journalists asking questions, maybe stand there and call him a liar?

Edit: take your point about winning the argument as they bring you down to their level.

But then that just feeds into his agenda that the press are against him and not to be trusted, and that plays to his core voter base. It's nuts that his supporters like him partly because they think he tells it like it is and is honest, nothing could be further from the truth. But then truth doesn't matter anymore it seems. Sad.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Trump and fake news on 20:30 - Jul 16 with 3099 viewsSeablu

Trump and fake news on 20:13 - Jul 16 by Herbivore

But then that just feeds into his agenda that the press are against him and not to be trusted, and that plays to his core voter base. It's nuts that his supporters like him partly because they think he tells it like it is and is honest, nothing could be further from the truth. But then truth doesn't matter anymore it seems. Sad.

He's taken advantage of a vast swathe of previously embittered simpletons and is somehow managing to keep the plates spinning at the moment.
Never has the divide between the stupid and the rest been better illustrated.
Trump and fake news on 20:32 - Jul 16 with 3082 viewsNo9

There were some interesting comments on Ch4 news tonight. Trump has stirred up a hornets nest in the USA when he, during the Helsinki post summit, took the side of Russia against his own security services and berated the USA over Clinton & her e-mails.
Pretty clear that hasn't pleased anyone in the US media / politics

He hasn't changed but will probably find more support with the voters -?

Here UKip have improved their support - they claim from 3% to 8% saying it is tories defecting.

Lies do well everywhere
Trump and fake news on 21:12 - Jul 16 with 3011 viewsmanchego

When we all have votes that are worth the same, this is what we get.
Trump and fake news on 21:29 - Jul 16 with 2983 viewsBinner

Trump and fake news on 20:32 - Jul 16 by No9

There were some interesting comments on Ch4 news tonight. Trump has stirred up a hornets nest in the USA when he, during the Helsinki post summit, took the side of Russia against his own security services and berated the USA over Clinton & her e-mails.
Pretty clear that hasn't pleased anyone in the US media / politics

He hasn't changed but will probably find more support with the voters -?

Here UKip have improved their support - they claim from 3% to 8% saying it is tories defecting.

Lies do well everywhere

I read that as 'defecating' and it wouldn't have been wrong.

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Trump and fake news on 21:38 - Jul 16 with 2956 viewsNo9

Trump and fake news on 21:29 - Jul 16 by Binner

I read that as 'defecating' and it wouldn't have been wrong.

It's been called several things
Trump and fake news on 21:53 - Jul 16 with 2931 viewsDarth_Koont

Trump and fake news on 20:10 - Jul 16 by homer_123

This is why the media has been complicit in creating useless and lying politicians. They need access and free content from politicians so they end up just repeating what they say - with a few spiky comments in the editorial at best. The BBC is one of the worst at recycling comments without really taking politicians to task at the time.

The media should be much more vocal about and critical of the information they're receiving. And I certainly think a few papers should be censured when they repeat things uncritically and even amplify them that they know are false or at best a stretch.

Personally, I think we need to teach people that the press is as bad as the politicians unless they prove otherwise.

Trump and fake news on 22:15 - Jul 16 with 2884 viewsElderGrizzly

It needs journalists to simply call him a liar. And repeatedly do so in news conferences.

The same with Sarah Sanders and this gem. She is basically lying for a living

Trump and fake news on 22:29 - Jul 16 with 2856 viewsMullet

Trump and fake news on 22:15 - Jul 16 by ElderGrizzly

It needs journalists to simply call him a liar. And repeatedly do so in news conferences.

The same with Sarah Sanders and this gem. She is basically lying for a living

This is a rather poignant contrast

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Trump and fake news on 00:17 - Jul 17 with 2775 viewsGuthrum

Trump and fake news on 19:47 - Jul 16 by homer_123

I fear you give them too much credit.

I don't feel they have the intelligence to think that way Guthers. More a case of say whatever the heck I like and who gives a sh*t about the outcome.

I didn't say it was a consciously thought-out thing. More a state of mind.

Trump and fake news on 00:22 - Jul 17 with 2768 viewsGuthrum

Trump and fake news on 19:50 - Jul 16 by homer_123

It won't make any difference. That's all "fake news" too.

There is no such thing as truth or lies to these people, they are speaking the world as they want it to be. Until and unless they come up against something immutable, like the laws of physics (they tend to steer well clear of subjects like that), then nothing can alter their perception.

Even something like still not having a job/girlfriend/white supremacy will be blamed on others.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024