Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So who do we all think Hurst is referring to here then? 06:45 - Jul 17 with 12878 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

‘We’ve been surprised by one or two things, shall we say, that are nowhere near good enough for us and we want to get people in that we feel are and can do the jobs and the roles that we would expect.”

Explaining what he means further, he added: “I’ve been told that some people are good players, that some people are very promising and I’d have to disagree on some of them.

“I’m not going to name names.’

......................................................................................................

Hard to think of players who would’ve been talked up to Hurst beforehand who haven’t put the right effort in so far.

I reckon the most likely candidates, at a guess, are Ward, Spence and one of the youngsters like Kenlock - or possibly Bish. Perhaps even Joey Garner. Unless/until they’re bombed out, we will never know.
[Post edited 17 Jul 2018 6:48]

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

So who do we all think Hurst is referring to here then? on 08:03 - Jul 17 with 3321 viewsITFC_Forever

So who do we all think Hurst is referring to here then? on 08:00 - Jul 17 by bontcho

Interesting that we kept Downes but Morris was allowed to go to the England U19s.

Because Downes is miles nearer the first team than Morris. Not difficult to work out.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

So who do we all think Hurst is referring to here then? on 08:05 - Jul 17 with 3321 viewsPhilTWTD

So who do we all think Hurst is referring to here then? on 08:00 - Jul 17 by bontcho

Interesting that we kept Downes but Morris was allowed to go to the England U19s.

Don't think anything can be read into that, Morris is a little way behind Downes and Nydam who were both kept back as they're members of the first-team squad.
So who do we all think Hurst is referring to here then? on 08:06 - Jul 17 with 3303 viewsPhilTWTD

So who do we all think Hurst is referring to here then? on 07:40 - Jul 17 by ITFC_Forever

One of the few players Hurst said has done well?

This is exactly what I meant by casting thoughtless aspersions with no foundations whatsoever.

As you say, probably the least likely as PH praised him on Saturday without even being prompted.
So who do we all think Hurst is referring to here then? on 08:07 - Jul 17 with 3292 viewsBluefish

So who do we all think Hurst is referring to here then? on 07:36 - Jul 17 by ITFC_Forever

Why should we guess as to who he is referring to?

It’s how bad reputations are forged with no substance whatsoever. We’ll soon find out when more out-goings are confirmed.

Clearly Hurst is not happy and isn’t taking any prisoners, and is ready to give the squad the shake-up a determined new manager brings.

I agree, it is dangerous and wrong to speculate by naming names.

I reckon it is Sears and Ward

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

So who do we all think Hurst is referring to here then? on 08:08 - Jul 17 with 3288 viewsHerbivore

He's not pulling any punches is he? Clearly not happy with the performance at the weekend nor with their general fitness levels to really push during the early part of pre-season, certainly with a few of them at least. Saying that, I think people tend to forget that this isn't unusual for a new manager and I seem to recall Mick having some pretty blunt things to say about the squad and the mess he inherited. I suspect one Hurst has more of his own squad in place we'll be seeing a different tone.

I know speculation isn't helpful, but it's fun isn't it? I reckon in terms of youngsters it's Kenlock or Downes. Kenlock for me hasn't pushed on and I can see why Hurst might not buy into the idea that he is a promising talent. Downes I'm throwing in mainly because, unlike Nydam and Dozzell, he wasn't praised by Hurst. Also, last season Downes seemed to be totally spent after a handful of games for us and then similar happened on loan at Luton. I know he's only young but it does make you wonder about his general fitness. Nydam had a dip and a couple of injuries midseason but, whilst younger, managed more Championship minutes by far and, importantly, came on strong and looked more comfortable at this level towards the end of the season. Believe me, the boy Tristan will be a player for us.

In terms of senior players, it's harder to say. I can see Skuse not being his type of player for sure, lacks the physicality he likes in the holding role and doesn't have the energy he likes further up the pitch. Spence can blow hot and cold, as can Ward, so they are possibilities. Maybe he's not been all that impressed by Garner? I can see him being another that Hurst isn't sold on.

It's a tricky one, there's always going to be a few faces that don't fit so we shouldn't be surprised. His comments about letting more go to make further changes were interesting, I worry if we lose Waghorn but can't see too many other saleable assets in the squad. Possibly Garner if we could eek out close to a million for him. Certainly interesting times ahead and feels almost like we're on a bit of a knife edge as the new approach could go one way or the other, personally I think Hurst has shown throughout his career that he can change things and implement his way pretty quickly and successfully so I'm excited to see how it pans out.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

An unsurprising BOMBSHELL... on 08:09 - Jul 17 with 3290 viewsunstableblue

... these are very strong words from our new manager and still before he has really settled and established himself at the club.

We had heard who could be harsh on failing players but this is very public and scathing. And I do have a concern on how this effects team morale. I wonder how Marcus and our lethargic MD are taking the challenging feedback Paul must be giving them?

But let’s be clear we’ve played poor quality and low energy football consistently for 2 seasons, Micks poor system and complete disregard to movement and energy must have had something to do with training and rewarding failing favourites. The thought police patrolled the board all the while shooting down those stating the obvious facts. Budget and injuries were valid concerns but did not excuse energy and basic skills being lacking. It was weird.
[Post edited 17 Jul 2018 8:10]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

So who do we all think Hurst is referring to here then? on 08:12 - Jul 17 with 3257 viewsBLUEBEAT

Napoleon Complex

Poll: W or W

So who do we all think Hurst is referring to here then? on 08:13 - Jul 17 with 3264 viewsitfcjoe

So who do we all think Hurst is referring to here then? on 08:08 - Jul 17 by Herbivore

He's not pulling any punches is he? Clearly not happy with the performance at the weekend nor with their general fitness levels to really push during the early part of pre-season, certainly with a few of them at least. Saying that, I think people tend to forget that this isn't unusual for a new manager and I seem to recall Mick having some pretty blunt things to say about the squad and the mess he inherited. I suspect one Hurst has more of his own squad in place we'll be seeing a different tone.

I know speculation isn't helpful, but it's fun isn't it? I reckon in terms of youngsters it's Kenlock or Downes. Kenlock for me hasn't pushed on and I can see why Hurst might not buy into the idea that he is a promising talent. Downes I'm throwing in mainly because, unlike Nydam and Dozzell, he wasn't praised by Hurst. Also, last season Downes seemed to be totally spent after a handful of games for us and then similar happened on loan at Luton. I know he's only young but it does make you wonder about his general fitness. Nydam had a dip and a couple of injuries midseason but, whilst younger, managed more Championship minutes by far and, importantly, came on strong and looked more comfortable at this level towards the end of the season. Believe me, the boy Tristan will be a player for us.

In terms of senior players, it's harder to say. I can see Skuse not being his type of player for sure, lacks the physicality he likes in the holding role and doesn't have the energy he likes further up the pitch. Spence can blow hot and cold, as can Ward, so they are possibilities. Maybe he's not been all that impressed by Garner? I can see him being another that Hurst isn't sold on.

It's a tricky one, there's always going to be a few faces that don't fit so we shouldn't be surprised. His comments about letting more go to make further changes were interesting, I worry if we lose Waghorn but can't see too many other saleable assets in the squad. Possibly Garner if we could eek out close to a million for him. Certainly interesting times ahead and feels almost like we're on a bit of a knife edge as the new approach could go one way or the other, personally I think Hurst has shown throughout his career that he can change things and implement his way pretty quickly and successfully so I'm excited to see how it pans out.

With regards to the youngsters I'd personally say Kenlock - he just doesn't look as though he'll ever be able to be fit enough to get up and down and is weak in the tackle. I know some fans rate him but he just isn't for me.

Senior players I'm not too sure

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

So who do we all think Hurst is referring to here then? on 08:15 - Jul 17 with 3238 viewsunstableblue

So who do we all think Hurst is referring to here then? on 08:05 - Jul 17 by PhilTWTD

Don't think anything can be read into that, Morris is a little way behind Downes and Nydam who were both kept back as they're members of the first-team squad.

Also Chalobah was already signed up and his loan would have included the expectation he would go to Finland.

On another they had the FA chief on Radio 4 Today, he called him out as one of the England future but mistakenly said he was going on loan to Watford.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

So who do we all think Hurst is referring to here then? on 08:21 - Jul 17 with 3199 viewsKeno

So who do we all think Hurst is referring to here then? on 08:12 - Jul 17 by BLUEBEAT

Napoleon Complex

Good French indie band name there!!

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

So who do we all think Hurst is referring to here then? on 08:26 - Jul 17 with 3179 viewsPhilTWTD

So who do we all think Hurst is referring to here then? on 08:15 - Jul 17 by unstableblue

Also Chalobah was already signed up and his loan would have included the expectation he would go to Finland.

On another they had the FA chief on Radio 4 Today, he called him out as one of the England future but mistakenly said he was going on loan to Watford.

I get the impression there was a bit of give and take with the FA; you've got Chalobah, ideally we'd prefer to keep Downes and Nydam but you can have Morris. Paul confirmed that Chelsea made him aware Chalobah was going to go when he was signed. Whoever the FA chief was he was getting mixed up with his brother who is at Watford permanently now.
So who do we all think Hurst is referring to here then? on 08:29 - Jul 17 with 3149 viewsBlueBadger

Just as likely to be a motivational tactic to keep people on their toes, I suspect.

See also: Keane's 'there's three here who'll never play for me again'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

So who do we all think Hurst is referring to here then? on 08:30 - Jul 17 with 3145 viewsHerbivore

So who do we all think Hurst is referring to here then? on 08:13 - Jul 17 by itfcjoe

With regards to the youngsters I'd personally say Kenlock - he just doesn't look as though he'll ever be able to be fit enough to get up and down and is weak in the tackle. I know some fans rate him but he just isn't for me.

Senior players I'm not too sure

I agree with you. He's better going forward than defending and yet he doesn't score goals or get assists, his decision making and execution high up the pitch isn't good enough. He sometimes looks like he's running underwater and he has this annoying habit of stopping for a split second and throwing his head back in frustration when he loses the ball or a pass gets misplaced to him high up the pitch. At this level that split second can be the difference between him getting back and cutting out a counter or us conceding a goal. I think if there were just one or two areas he was lacking I'd see the potential there and if he was showing signs of progress then I'd see the value in persevering. Sadly I think there's too much to work on and not enough of an indication that he can improve in those areas. Still decent enough back up for Knudsen but I'd shed no tears if he left.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

So who do we all think Hurst is referring to here then? on 08:39 - Jul 17 with 3115 viewsTrequartista

Maybe the golden boys of the previous era Skuse, Chambers, Sears etc are not as great as previously portrayed although he mentions youngsters so possibly Kenlock and Emmanuel?

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

So who do we all think Hurst is referring to here then? on 08:45 - Jul 17 with 3078 viewsfactual_blue

Phil and Gav.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

The two most obvious ones are..... on 08:46 - Jul 17 with 3066 viewsBloots

.....Benters and Benters2

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

The two most obvious ones are..... on 08:47 - Jul 17 with 3067 viewsfactual_blue

The two most obvious ones are..... on 08:46 - Jul 17 by Bloots

.....Benters and Benters2

balls

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

So who do we all think Hurst is referring to here then? on 08:48 - Jul 17 with 3060 viewsKieranMcKenna1

Wouldn't be surprised if any of them were Garner, Bishop, Spence or Sears.

Poll: Are you Mick out or Mick in?

So who do we all think Hurst is referring to here then? on 08:48 - Jul 17 with 3061 viewsfloridaboy

So who do we all think Hurst is referring to here then? on 07:02 - Jul 17 by homer_123

As I have been saying for a while. This is partly why we are seeing the likes of Waghorn and Garner as possibly leaving the Club.

Hurst wants to make much wider changes than many thought....

No way will Waghorn leaves unless it's for silly money especially as Hurst challenged him to better his tally of last season.

Garner definitely!
So who do we all think Hurst is referring to here then? on 09:04 - Jul 17 with 3004 viewsITFC_Forever

So who do we all think Hurst is referring to here then? on 08:08 - Jul 17 by Herbivore

Mick's first comment after his first game was to slate the players and tell them they cost PJ his job.
"If they could play like they did against Brum every week, then Jewell would still be here and not have lost his job" Or words to that effect.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

So who do we all think Hurst is referring to here then? on 09:05 - Jul 17 with 2992 viewsSuperfrans

So who do we all think Hurst is referring to here then? on 07:24 - Jul 17 by Kieran_Knows

Well in I say. Although, with just under 4 weeks to go, and a side he isn’t really happy with, Evans really does need to pull his finger out and bring in his targets.

It does highlight the risk of taking so long to recruit the manager. If we are heading for a revolution, we've given ourselves so little time to implement it.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

So who do we all think Hurst is referring to here then? on 09:13 - Jul 17 with 2969 viewsPhilTWTD

So who do we all think Hurst is referring to here then? on 09:04 - Jul 17 by ITFC_Forever

Mick's first comment after his first game was to slate the players and tell them they cost PJ his job.
"If they could play like they did against Brum every week, then Jewell would still be here and not have lost his job" Or words to that effect.

There was also a comment a little while later about what he'd been told about players - or at least a particular player - when he came in. Had been told Tommy Smith wasn't up to it but within a couple of weeks he was a nailed-on starter.

Think it's partly just the nature of things, one manager will rate a player differently to another, someone will be able to play the role one wants but not another.
So who do we all think Hurst is referring to here then? on 09:15 - Jul 17 with 2956 viewsNo9

Many of us sitting in the stands would agree there are Town players who don't put in a shift & some who aren't good enugh for this division.
It's good PH has spotted that so too as it will give him the full season to make the changes he sees as being necessary.

We have to hope his new brand of play and players to deliver it see Town moving onward & upward
So who do we all think Hurst is referring to here then? on 09:21 - Jul 17 with 2942 viewsVic

So who do we all think Hurst is referring to here then? on 08:48 - Jul 17 by KieranMcKenna1

Wouldn't be surprised if any of them were Garner, Bishop, Spence or Sears.

Can’t be referring to Bishop as he hasn’t seen him play at all. I suspect Kenlock - he didn’t kick on last season as hoped. Maybe Skuse, though I’d be surprised as his stats for interception and passing have always been exceptional. Maybe though he’s just not quite mobile enough now to fit Hursts way.

Can’t agree about possibly selling Waghorn. We’d have nothing to offer up front if he went, so we’d have to replace him with a like for like, and that would be a total waste of time as we probably wouldn’t get anyone as good as him.

Interesting times!
[Post edited 17 Jul 2018 9:22]

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

So who do we all think Hurst is referring to here then? on 09:24 - Jul 17 with 2923 viewsSuperfrans

The most mentioned names on here are Spence, Garner, Kenlock, Sears, Ward. They are all the most likely.

It is also absolutely certain that this will be partly a signal that more changes are coming, but also a signal to the players that they should not get too comfortable. he will naturally be looking for a reaction.

Also, his comments about the quality of the friendlies (which he wasn't impressed with) suggest a different approach to pre-season. Mick famously hated pre-season and perhaps didn't put a lot of focus on the friendlies. Hurst clearly considers them very important. Maybe Mick's attitude is still carried through by the players and Hurst is simply trying to put a rocket up them.

Another concern is who exactly has told him certain players are "very promising" (but aren't)? It suggests a difference of opinion with certain people, maybe current current coaches?

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024