Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This stance from Hurst is the first real..... 08:43 - Jul 17 with 3756 viewsBloots

....deviation from the previous manager's approach.

It's been plainly obvious to all but the most deluded fans that a number of the squad just aren't up to standard.

The previous manager maintained our league position through playing to the minimal strengths that the squad had and retaining a close knit team spirit.

We survived, by playing crap football with largely crap players.

Hurst has a very different approach obviously, reminding the squad how crap they are and looking to make wholesale changes.

Unfortunately both of them have the same problem, the owner.

I really hope that Hurst knows what he's dealing with and that he didn't fall for a pre recorded "interview" like so many fans did.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

This stance from Hurst is the first real..... on 08:44 - Jul 17 with 3704 viewsKieran_Knows

The proof will be in the pudding over the next 4 weeks. Let's just see where we are after that.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

This stance from Hurst is the first real..... on 08:47 - Jul 17 with 3678 viewshype313

They way I see it is Mick was on a million quid a year with a remit of do your best to stay in this division, he's now looking for work on a big salary with potential a few quid to spend ideally in the PL, Hurst is a young ambitious manager wanting to go onto big things and won't settle for mediocrity.

It's a gamble by Evans to make this change, but lets be honest the status quo wasn't going to push us on, we need a bit of a shake up and it could mean we struggle for a while, but most fans I believe would prefer to roll the dice than put up with another few years of Mick.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

This stance from Hurst is the first real..... on 08:47 - Jul 17 with 3666 viewsReuser_is_God

I very much doubt Hurst joined Ipswich on the basis on that interview.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

This stance from Hurst is the first real..... on 08:48 - Jul 17 with 3666 viewsurbanblue

Of course, there is also the possibility that this is the remit ME gave him.

Sort out the bludgers just taking my money and get rid!

I have to say Hurst is talking and acting like a winner and I love it.
This stance from Hurst is the first real..... on 08:50 - Jul 17 with 3625 viewsReuser_is_God

This stance from Hurst is the first real..... on 08:47 - Jul 17 by hype313

They way I see it is Mick was on a million quid a year with a remit of do your best to stay in this division, he's now looking for work on a big salary with potential a few quid to spend ideally in the PL, Hurst is a young ambitious manager wanting to go onto big things and won't settle for mediocrity.

It's a gamble by Evans to make this change, but lets be honest the status quo wasn't going to push us on, we need a bit of a shake up and it could mean we struggle for a while, but most fans I believe would prefer to roll the dice than put up with another few years of Mick.

Exactly this.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

This stance from Hurst is the first real..... on 08:57 - Jul 17 with 3553 viewshomer_123

This stance from Hurst is the first real..... on 08:47 - Jul 17 by Reuser_is_God

I very much doubt Hurst joined Ipswich on the basis on that interview.

He's more astute than the average Town fan to be taken in by a single interview.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

This stance from Hurst is the first real..... on 09:02 - Jul 17 with 3528 viewsSteve_M

He may also realise that his best chance of getting Evans to spend money on the squad is now. Every other manager has had one or maybe two transfer windows before Evans has restricted spending again.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

This stance from Hurst is the first real..... on 09:03 - Jul 17 with 3514 viewsfloridaboy

This stance from Hurst is the first real..... on 08:50 - Jul 17 by Reuser_is_God

Exactly this.

Agree!

And the previous manager left us for a better club and a bigger salary.

Oh wait a minute . . . .
Login to get fewer ads

This stance from Hurst is the first real..... on 09:11 - Jul 17 with 3467 viewschristiand

The intriguing thing is PH is a manager that wants to make his mark in the game and build on the reputation he has already created from spells at Shrewsbury Town and Grimsby Town, which is very exciting as an Ipswich fan as he has the appetite and desire to want to succeed. One thing I will say, is that I really can't see MM getting another opportunity to manage in the EPL, the game has moved on where MM has remained static in his approach. Sam Allardyce has enough trouble holding down a managerial position 'in the best league in the world' with his approach and style of play and he is an upgraded version of MM.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

This stance from Hurst is the first real..... on 09:12 - Jul 17 with 3455 viewsBOjK

This stance from Hurst is the first real..... on 08:44 - Jul 17 by Kieran_Knows

The proof will be in the pudding over the next 4 weeks. Let's just see where we are after that.

No. The proof will be in the eating.
[Post edited 17 Jul 2018 9:13]

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

This stance from Hurst is the first real..... on 09:15 - Jul 17 with 3421 viewsDanFord

This stance from Hurst is the first real..... on 09:11 - Jul 17 by christiand

The intriguing thing is PH is a manager that wants to make his mark in the game and build on the reputation he has already created from spells at Shrewsbury Town and Grimsby Town, which is very exciting as an Ipswich fan as he has the appetite and desire to want to succeed. One thing I will say, is that I really can't see MM getting another opportunity to manage in the EPL, the game has moved on where MM has remained static in his approach. Sam Allardyce has enough trouble holding down a managerial position 'in the best league in the world' with his approach and style of play and he is an upgraded version of MM.

Mick is utterly deluded. He's a competent manager at this level still despite the game moving on but he has zero chance of getting a premier league job. He didn't get offered one a few years ago when he was doing wonders here. He certainly isn't going to get one now.

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

POST OF THE DAY... and so early on 09:20 - Jul 17 with 3393 viewsunstableblue

But I do share your concern that he is taking a gamble by being so honest in the media... really hope this doesn’t backfire.

But so agree on your points... we as fans were expected to put up with that sh!t from a dull/pragmatic manager who could only get performances from his limited system with a massive budget. Marcus needs to give Paul a medium budget and let his system and demands on the players to get success. I fear Marcus will continue to provide a pittance.

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

This stance from Hurst is the first real..... on 09:24 - Jul 17 with 3358 viewstextbackup

Of course let’s not forget who put that crap team together.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

This stance from Hurst is the first real..... on 09:24 - Jul 17 with 3346 viewsBlueBadger

This stance from Hurst is the first real..... on 08:57 - Jul 17 by homer_123

He's more astute than the average Town fan to be taken in by a single interview.

The contents of today's discussions bear that out...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

This stance from Hurst is the first real..... on 09:25 - Jul 17 with 3347 viewsPhilTWTD

I doubt Mick would have stayed here if the remit was simply to stay in the division. The approach was clear - and won't be that much different going forward - try to get the squad overachieving in points to budget terms given the massive disaparity between the funds here and elsewhere in the division and aim for the play-offs.
This stance from Hurst is the first real..... on 09:30 - Jul 17 with 3301 viewshype313

This stance from Hurst is the first real..... on 09:25 - Jul 17 by PhilTWTD

I doubt Mick would have stayed here if the remit was simply to stay in the division. The approach was clear - and won't be that much different going forward - try to get the squad overachieving in points to budget terms given the massive disaparity between the funds here and elsewhere in the division and aim for the play-offs.

Agreed, but I just personally felt with Mick in the past 18 months it was all a bit pedestrian, didn't feel he had the passion or stomach for the fight and essentially gave up, with Hurst you get the impression he doesn't want his current goodwill to fall away and will move mountains to continue his trajectory, even if the clubs remit is as was for Mick.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

This stance from Hurst is the first real..... on 09:41 - Jul 17 with 3255 viewsRegencyBlue

This stance from Hurst is the first real..... on 08:48 - Jul 17 by urbanblue

Of course, there is also the possibility that this is the remit ME gave him.

Sort out the bludgers just taking my money and get rid!

I have to say Hurst is talking and acting like a winner and I love it.

Doubt it personally.

I firmly believe that if the majority of the fan base hadnt 'revolted' so openly Evans would have left MM in place with a new contract!
[Post edited 17 Jul 2018 9:42]
This stance from Hurst is the first real..... on 11:02 - Jul 17 with 3116 viewsVic

It's a great start to hear that the new manager is expecting higher standards than what has been accepted before.

He's actually been very, very open about it all; one of his first comments was that some will like pre-season and some wont - he was under no illusions that he expected casualties along the way. His comments about some players not being up to standard are totally in line with this.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

This stance from Hurst is the first real..... on 16:08 - Jul 17 with 2834 viewsMullet

This stance from Hurst is the first real..... on 09:30 - Jul 17 by hype313

Agreed, but I just personally felt with Mick in the past 18 months it was all a bit pedestrian, didn't feel he had the passion or stomach for the fight and essentially gave up, with Hurst you get the impression he doesn't want his current goodwill to fall away and will move mountains to continue his trajectory, even if the clubs remit is as was for Mick.

I make you, Bloots and Phil right to varying degrees and not necessarily contradicting each other.

How Mick was treated in the end and the run up to that beginning in the 18 month period you cite was eventually disgusting. It clearly took a far bigger toll on him, the players and the club than those propelling it ever acknowledged in the correct way. The Douglas incident at QPR and subsequent admission from Chambers, followed a year later by the revision of Knudsen after Brentford etc. paints it's own picture.

One thing Mick never did was dig out his players in public, but these aren't Hurst's players. When he came in and Wellens told us some home truths about what was painfully obvious about the innards of the dressing room that only strengthened Mick's hand and helped rally fans as the results came in.

These aren't Hurst's players though, and it's fairly understandable he'd move on more than just Webster. Arguably in the way Mick wanted to move Bru on but was hamstrung, anyone watching last year knew that injuries and discontent meant we needed to evolve the side anyway.

Hurst inherits some real gems in Chambers and Skuse but this is the last season they can be considered weekly players, so it's timely anyway. What worries me about these comments and says more about some fans to be blunt is the lists and public outing based on gossip and prejudice.

Any player that leaves now is tarnished, whereas say Taylor was a self-made pariah when he left people knew he was a wrong'un same as Chopra; a few were drummed out by Mick and no real indication given they too were bad for morale.

Those desperate to pretend Hurst is wildly different or "we've never heard this before" after Braintree when Mick said near identical things after Charlton shows people are preoccupied with the wrong individual. This is where Marcus needs to make his name count for something and back PH.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

This stance from Hurst is the first real..... on 16:12 - Jul 17 with 2809 viewsDarth_Koont

This stance from Hurst is the first real..... on 16:08 - Jul 17 by Mullet

I make you, Bloots and Phil right to varying degrees and not necessarily contradicting each other.

How Mick was treated in the end and the run up to that beginning in the 18 month period you cite was eventually disgusting. It clearly took a far bigger toll on him, the players and the club than those propelling it ever acknowledged in the correct way. The Douglas incident at QPR and subsequent admission from Chambers, followed a year later by the revision of Knudsen after Brentford etc. paints it's own picture.

One thing Mick never did was dig out his players in public, but these aren't Hurst's players. When he came in and Wellens told us some home truths about what was painfully obvious about the innards of the dressing room that only strengthened Mick's hand and helped rally fans as the results came in.

These aren't Hurst's players though, and it's fairly understandable he'd move on more than just Webster. Arguably in the way Mick wanted to move Bru on but was hamstrung, anyone watching last year knew that injuries and discontent meant we needed to evolve the side anyway.

Hurst inherits some real gems in Chambers and Skuse but this is the last season they can be considered weekly players, so it's timely anyway. What worries me about these comments and says more about some fans to be blunt is the lists and public outing based on gossip and prejudice.

Any player that leaves now is tarnished, whereas say Taylor was a self-made pariah when he left people knew he was a wrong'un same as Chopra; a few were drummed out by Mick and no real indication given they too were bad for morale.

Those desperate to pretend Hurst is wildly different or "we've never heard this before" after Braintree when Mick said near identical things after Charlton shows people are preoccupied with the wrong individual. This is where Marcus needs to make his name count for something and back PH.

Good post.

And there's something Orwellian about how people can extrapolate so much meaning from Hurst's relatively banal statements because it's Hurst saying it and not Mick or whoever else.

Pronouns: He/Him

This stance from Hurst is the first real..... on 16:16 - Jul 17 with 2774 viewsMullet

This stance from Hurst is the first real..... on 16:12 - Jul 17 by Darth_Koont

Good post.

And there's something Orwellian about how people can extrapolate so much meaning from Hurst's relatively banal statements because it's Hurst saying it and not Mick or whoever else.

It's just going back and shoring up their shoddy arguments, presumably bullsh1t doesn't make good cement.

Why people and things have to be 100% good/bad is beyond me, but when you frame them that way of course you're never going to get close to a true picture.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

This stance from Hurst is the first real..... on 16:21 - Jul 17 with 2736 viewsitfcjoe

This stance from Hurst is the first real..... on 09:02 - Jul 17 by Steve_M

He may also realise that his best chance of getting Evans to spend money on the squad is now. Every other manager has had one or maybe two transfer windows before Evans has restricted spending again.

And he went into negotiations with a strong hand as last candidate standing so hopefully gets more out of him

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

This stance from Hurst is the first real..... on 20:33 - Jul 17 with 2464 viewsSwn98

This stance from Hurst is the first real..... on 09:30 - Jul 17 by hype313

Gave up? the only thing he gave up on was the fans
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024