Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Skusey 09:57 - Jul 17 with 6928 viewsBluefish

As many of you know I am a big fan of his and believe he is technically head and shoulders above many in the squad. I think Hursty will agree but i do wonder whether it will be possible to convert him into a centre half this season. It has been done for many, Southgate and Kompany being obvious examples and I think skuse has all of the qualities.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Skusey on 10:00 - Jul 17 with 5857 viewsjudespiveyg

That could work but only if we don't sign another centre half before the season, as I'm not sure Skuse is good enough in the air to play there. I'd imagine Knudsen and Spence would be moved there if Chambers or Chalobah got injured before Skuse would.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Skusey on 10:07 - Jul 17 with 5833 viewsDanFord

Not particularly quick, ageing and not massively tall. Just what is it about him that makes you think this is a good idea. Sounds completely ridiculous. He can read danger and intercept a pass. That's one of about fifteen things you need to be a good centre half and he has none of the others.

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

Skusey on 10:27 - Jul 17 with 5768 viewstextbackup

Does he win a huge number of headers? Would he able able to cope with quick forwards darting around him? I’m not too sure and can’t see it myself.
But if Hursty thinks Skusey could do it whoy and i’y to disagree

(the final line is a pisstake for calling them hursty and skusey)
[Post edited 17 Jul 2018 13:50]

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Skusey on 10:33 - Jul 17 with 5725 viewsSWGF

Skusey on 10:27 - Jul 17 by textbackup

Does he win a huge number of headers? Would he able able to cope with quick forwards darting around him? I’m not too sure and can’t see it myself.
But if Hursty thinks Skusey could do it whoy and i’y to disagree

(the final line is a pisstake for calling them hursty and skusey)
[Post edited 17 Jul 2018 13:50]

"Sweet dreams are made of this...whoy and i’y to disagree,
I travel the world and the seven seas,
Everybody's looking for something"

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Skusey on 10:50 - Jul 17 with 5661 viewsKeaneish

Not strong enough in the air to play centre back i don't reckon. Really looking forward to seeing what Hurst does with Skuse this season. Felt that MM restricted him too much and his game suffered as a result. Not sure i agree he's technically our best player.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Skusey on 10:52 - Jul 17 with 5657 viewsNazemariner

Interesting idea.

He definitely reads the game well enough to play at the back, is a good tackler, and has more than enough pace. Not sure he's physically strong enough though. Could get muscled out of a game by a big strong CF.
Skusey on 11:09 - Jul 17 with 5620 viewsNo9

Skusey on 10:00 - Jul 17 by judespiveyg

That could work but only if we don't sign another centre half before the season, as I'm not sure Skuse is good enough in the air to play there. I'd imagine Knudsen and Spence would be moved there if Chambers or Chalobah got injured before Skuse would.

If PH is going to build a team for the future - & he should be looking to be a top team in 3 seasons then keeping a slow and indecisive 33 (approaching) year old in defence isn't a good idea. Having one in a midfiled that, in this division needs to be very mobile, is a non starter.
Skusey on 11:12 - Jul 17 with 5606 viewsBenters2

Skusey on 10:07 - Jul 17 by DanFord

Not particularly quick, ageing and not massively tall. Just what is it about him that makes you think this is a good idea. Sounds completely ridiculous. He can read danger and intercept a pass. That's one of about fifteen things you need to be a good centre half and he has none of the others.

Proper bloke though so that covers 12 of those things
Login to get fewer ads

Skusey on 11:52 - Jul 17 with 5542 viewsCurrie10

Jesus christ, CB. No chance.

Ridiculous post.
Skusey on 12:17 - Jul 17 with 5455 viewsOsborneOneNil

I'd imagine he may be fortunate to be in the starting XI this year.
Skusey on 12:20 - Jul 17 with 5444 viewsBluefish

Judging by the standard of the posters that are criticising this I think it must be a better idea than I first thought.
[Post edited 17 Jul 2018 12:21]

Skusey on 12:23 - Jul 17 with 5415 viewsKeaneish

Skusey on 12:17 - Jul 17 by OsborneOneNil

I'd imagine he may be fortunate to be in the starting XI this year.

Agreed. Think Hurst want's a bit more dynamism in the midfield this year from some of his recent comments. We lacked energy and pace at times last year and rarely played on the half turn. Plenty of youth in there with Dozzell, Nydam and Bishop to do that but think he'll reach out for a few more bodies to come in. If the rumours are true and we showed interest in John McGinn, i think this theory holds true.

Skusey on 12:35 - Jul 17 with 5351 viewsSuperblue95

The championship is probably the most physically tough division there is, with 6 foot plus target men in most squads. Putting a slow, shortish midfielder back there just because he can read danger well is a ridiculous idea.

This isn't La Liga, we aren't Barcelona and Skuse isn't Mascherano

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Skusey on 12:55 - Jul 17 with 5286 viewsOsborneOneNil

Skusey on 12:23 - Jul 17 by Keaneish

Agreed. Think Hurst want's a bit more dynamism in the midfield this year from some of his recent comments. We lacked energy and pace at times last year and rarely played on the half turn. Plenty of youth in there with Dozzell, Nydam and Bishop to do that but think he'll reach out for a few more bodies to come in. If the rumours are true and we showed interest in John McGinn, i think this theory holds true.

Totally agree. Far too one paced for far too long in there.
Skusey on 13:12 - Jul 17 with 5201 viewsDBaldy

Skusey on 10:07 - Jul 17 by DanFord

What was that bloke's name again..?

Oh that's it - John Wark.

Not saying that Skuse would be any good as a CB but don't write him off when Wark was able to make the same move and did pretty well there at the end of his career.
Skusey on 13:14 - Jul 17 with 5192 viewshype313

Well, just goes to prove I have missed ToiletBloo's obscure player position thoughts.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Skusey on 13:50 - Jul 17 with 5101 viewsitfcjoe

I think in a 3 he could do ok there, playing ont he right hand side of it, used to play RB for Bristol City a lot.

But in a 2 I think he would struggle physically

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Skusey on 13:52 - Jul 17 with 5090 viewstextbackup

Skusey on 12:20 - Jul 17 by Bluefish

Judging by the standard of the posters that are criticising this I think it must be a better idea than I first thought.
[Post edited 17 Jul 2018 12:21]

thankfully you dont get to make these decisions

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Skusey on 13:53 - Jul 17 with 5080 viewsBluefish

Skusey on 13:52 - Jul 17 by textbackup

I think we all know that I would get us promoted with this squad.

Skusey on 13:53 - Jul 17 with 5079 viewsBryanPlug

Skusey on 13:12 - Jul 17 by DBaldy

Not saying that Skuse would be any good as a CB but don't write him off when Wark was able to make the same move and did pretty well there at the end of his career.

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Skusey on 14:16 - Jul 17 with 5014 viewsKeaneish

Skusey on 13:52 - Jul 17 by textbackup

Or ever get much correct.

Skusey on 14:29 - Jul 17 with 4980 viewsBondiBlue

Skusey on 13:12 - Jul 17 by DBaldy

Matt Holland did a good job of it too.

Poll: Which would you accept?

Skusey on 15:26 - Jul 17 with 4922 viewsblueislander

Skusey on 13:53 - Jul 17 by BryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Wark was indeed a centre back that converted into midfield. Unlike Skuse he was terrific in the air and as hard as nails even as a kid. He also had enough pace when younger . As proved when he went into midfield his positional sense was superb.
Skusey on 15:31 - Jul 17 with 4911 viewsMrTown

Not a good option in my opinion. Isn’t tall enough, isn’t quick enough, isn’t strong enough. Don’t see Skuse as a one on one defender. He’s a very good sweeper who can read the game before the ball even gets to back four. He’s more of an intercepter than a tackler.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Skusey on 16:13 - Jul 17 with 4875 viewsMullet

Maybe an old fashioned sweeper but these days I just don't see it.

Time for Skuse to become more like Makelele in his dotage and be used for the big games. Hurst likes a powerhouse in midfield so I suspect Adeyemi and Chalobah may compete as the 1 in the 4-1-4-1 or be paired with Dozzell in the 4-2-3-1

I know Skuse has deputised at RB (away to Blackpool is my only recollection for us, but he did it at Brizzle) but I just don't see the use or value when he is so critical to midfield being a success.

We really need to younger CMs to step up now, they've (unintentionally) let us down with the lack of playing time this past 2 seasons.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024