Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sheff Utd offered 5 million for Waggy accordind to... 09:58 - Jul 19 with 7383 viewscbower

Daily Star!

bluescouser

Sheff Utd offered 5 million for Waggy accordind to... on 10:00 - Jul 19 with 3210 viewsSmithy

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/717452/Martyn-Waghorn-Ipswich-Sheffie

Good starting offer, double it and he's yours

37 years and counting!
Poll: We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most?

Sheff Utd offered 5 million for Waggy accordind to... on 10:00 - Jul 19 with 3199 viewsportmanking

"Ipswich are now considered a selling club"

*Sigh*

Why do we even bother anymore?
Sheff Utd offered 5 million for Waggy accordind to... on 10:04 - Jul 19 with 3140 viewsDanFord

Sheff Utd offered 5 million for Waggy accordind to... on 10:00 - Jul 19 by portmanking

*Sigh*

I'd say every club in this division bar 4 or 5 are making a loss. So really you have to be a selling club unless you can rely on promotion or parachute money. Any of us in debt would have to start considering selling something of value in the hope of replacing it with a bargain. If anything the £250k signing of £7m rated Waghorn shows that it's possible. We should have a £2m or £3m striker lined up to replace him though. We can't be selling him and expecting to pick up another £250k player to somehow perform at the same level.

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

Sheff Utd offered 5 million for Waggy accordind to... on 10:05 - Jul 19 with 3125 viewsportmanking

Sheff Utd offered 5 million for Waggy accordind to... on 10:04 - Jul 19 by DanFord

I'd say every club in this division bar 4 or 5 are making a loss. So really you have to be a selling club unless you can rely on promotion or parachute money. Any of us in debt would have to start considering selling something of value in the hope of replacing it with a bargain. If anything the £250k signing of £7m rated Waghorn shows that it's possible. We should have a £2m or £3m striker lined up to replace him though. We can't be selling him and expecting to pick up another £250k player to somehow perform at the same level.

This is the club that sold Murphy on deadline day - the player the entire squad was built around - and replaced him with Leon Best...
Sheff Utd offered 5 million for Waggy accordind to... on 10:07 - Jul 19 with 3101 viewsBluefish

Sheff Utd offered 5 million for Waggy accordind to... on 10:05 - Jul 19 by portmanking

This is the club that sold Murphy on deadline day - the player the entire squad was built around - and replaced him with Leon Best...

Leon Best was a disaster but he was huge for rotherham the season before and excellent against us. You can't sign players with hindsight.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Sheff Utd offered 5 million for Waggy accordind to... on 10:07 - Jul 19 with 3093 viewsITFCBlues

Sheff Utd offered 5 million for Waggy accordind to... on 10:05 - Jul 19 by portmanking

Murphy probably doubled his money at the age of 33 - could you really deny him that!?

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Sheff Utd offered 5 million for Waggy accordind to... on 10:09 - Jul 19 with 3078 viewsportmanking

Sheff Utd offered 5 million for Waggy accordind to... on 10:07 - Jul 19 by Bluefish

Leon Best was a disaster but he was huge for rotherham the season before and excellent against us. You can't sign players with hindsight.

Oh come off it, Best has and always will be a journeyman at best. Murphy was the club's entire focal point and we f*cked it then and we'll f*ck it now. It's not like the club doesn't have previous. If we were prepared to sell Waghorn we should have done it long before now and got replacements in the building.
Sheff Utd offered 5 million for Waggy accordind to... on 10:09 - Jul 19 with 3068 viewsDeano69

Sheff Utd offered 5 million for Waggy accordind to... on 10:04 - Jul 19 by DanFord

Its not as though we are overflowing with strikers at the moments either!!

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Login to get fewer ads

Sheff Utd offered 5 million for Waggy accordind to... on 10:10 - Jul 19 with 3062 viewsportmanking

Sheff Utd offered 5 million for Waggy accordind to... on 10:07 - Jul 19 by ITFCBlues

Murphy probably doubled his money at the age of 33 - could you really deny him that!?

What's he done since? Square root of eff all. I imagine in footballing terms he regrets the switch.
Sheff Utd offered 5 million for Waggy accordind to... on 10:11 - Jul 19 with 3045 viewsITFCBlues

Sheff Utd offered 5 million for Waggy accordind to... on 10:10 - Jul 19 by portmanking

What's he done since? Square root of eff all. I imagine in footballing terms he regrets the switch.

Well exactly - so 3m for. 33 year old was excellent business. I suspect in bank balance terms he really doesn’t regret the move

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Sheff Utd offered 5 million for Waggy accordind to... on 10:12 - Jul 19 with 3043 viewshype313

Sheff Utd offered 5 million for Waggy accordind to... on 10:10 - Jul 19 by portmanking

I doubt it, 15 odd years playing first team football, hitting an age where the body appreciates more a bit part role and securing your financial future, I doubt he regrets a thing about leaving.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Sheff Utd offered 5 million for Waggy accordind to... on 10:14 - Jul 19 with 3022 viewsBloomBlue

Sheff Utd offered 5 million for Waggy accordind to... on 10:00 - Jul 19 by portmanking

*Sigh*

We've always been a selling club.
Sheff Utd offered 5 million for Waggy accordind to... on 10:14 - Jul 19 with 3021 viewsportmanking

Sheff Utd offered 5 million for Waggy accordind to... on 10:12 - Jul 19 by hype313

I doubt it, 15 odd years playing first team football, hitting an age where the body appreciates more a bit part role and securing your financial future, I doubt he regrets a thing about leaving.

I said in footballing terms...

I don't think any player worth their salt would 'appreciate' a bit part role. Murph was the main man at Town and could have been for another couple of years under Mick.

Anyway, Waghorn is a completely different kettle of fish in that he creates as well as scores. His departure will be a double blow to our options in the final third. Surely we have to start building a squad rather than dismantling one every summer; it's frankly depressing.
Sheff Utd offered 5 million for Waggy accordind to... on 10:16 - Jul 19 with 2993 viewsportmanking

Sheff Utd offered 5 million for Waggy accordind to... on 10:14 - Jul 19 by BloomBlue

For sure, selling players to clubs that are a genuine step up - no problem.

Selling our genuine creative and goalscoring outlet to a side like Sheff Utd or Forest who are no bigger than us is just ridiculous. It's like waving the white flag on promotion already.
Sheff Utd offered 5 million for Waggy accordind to... on 10:16 - Jul 19 with 2986 viewshype313

Sheff Utd offered 5 million for Waggy accordind to... on 10:14 - Jul 19 by portmanking

I said in footballing terms...

I don't think any player worth their salt would 'appreciate' a bit part role. Murph was the main man at Town and could have been for another couple of years under Mick.

Anyway, Waghorn is a completely different kettle of fish in that he creates as well as scores. His departure will be a double blow to our options in the final third. Surely we have to start building a squad rather than dismantling one every summer; it's frankly depressing.

And I'm saying in footballing terms, he knew full well that going to Newcastle mean't he wouldn't be on the teamsheet every week, but I suspect he wasn't bothered as at 33 he knew his body probably couldn't cope with the rigours of a 46 game championship season.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Sheff Utd offered 5 million for Waggy accordind to... on 10:16 - Jul 19 with 2984 viewsBluefish

Sheff Utd offered 5 million for Waggy accordind to... on 10:09 - Jul 19 by portmanking

Oh come off it, Best has and always will be a journeyman at best. Murphy was the club's entire focal point and we f*cked it then and we'll f*ck it now. It's not like the club doesn't have previous. If we were prepared to sell Waghorn we should have done it long before now and got replacements in the building.

But best was free and Murphy a good fee for his age. No one thought it wasn't a downgrade but murphy wanted out and it made sense as a cheap replacement at the time

Sheff Utd offered 5 million for Waggy accordind to... on 10:17 - Jul 19 with 2982 viewsSWGF

Sheff Utd offered 5 million for Waggy accordind to... on 10:14 - Jul 19 by BloomBlue

...just maybe not of our best players to Sheff Utd

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Sheff Utd offered 5 million for Waggy accordind to... on 10:19 - Jul 19 with 2950 viewsportmanking

Sheff Utd offered 5 million for Waggy accordind to... on 10:16 - Jul 19 by Bluefish

But best was free and Murphy a good fee for his age. No one thought it wasn't a downgrade but murphy wanted out and it made sense as a cheap replacement at the time

No-one thought it was a downgrade?! You can take those blue tinted specs off once in a while you know...
Sheff Utd offered 5 million for Waggy accordind to... on 10:23 - Jul 19 with 2912 viewsNazemariner

Mildly depressing that a club such as Sheff Utd can lure our best players away isn't it?

If true, then they won't need to improve much on the £5m offer before we accept.
Sheff Utd offered 5 million for Waggy accordind to... on 10:24 - Jul 19 with 2902 viewsBluefish

Sheff Utd offered 5 million for Waggy accordind to... on 10:19 - Jul 19 by portmanking

No-one thought it was a downgrade?! You can take those blue tinted specs off once in a while you know...

What?

Sheff Utd offered 5 million for Waggy accordind to... on 10:26 - Jul 19 with 2886 viewsusm

Sheff Utd offered 5 million for Waggy accordind to... on 10:16 - Jul 19 by portmanking

For sure, selling players to clubs that are a genuine step up - no problem.

Selling our genuine creative and goalscoring outlet to a side like Sheff Utd or Forest who are no bigger than us is just ridiculous. It's like waving the white flag on promotion already.

Behave yourself!

I bet this time last year you were underwhelmed by the signing of Waghorn - a true journeyman.

£250K to £5m+ in a year is superb work by the club. And it could be that, like Murphy, this was a one off season for Waggy.

I dont want to see him go, but if we can get £7 or £8 M then that is a lot of kitty for PH to work on.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

"Ipswich are now considered a selling club" on 10:29 - Jul 19 with 2849 viewsDyland

*Sigh*

I'm not bothering to even read the article. Back in the real world...

We have ALWAYS been a selling club. Always. Same as most clubs really.

We bother because we bleed blue. Same with other (generally) well supported clubs with no realistic chance of winning major trophies. I have my tinted glasses on but ITFC even more than others in terms of respect and fondness, often from afar and surprising sources.

COYFB

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Sheff Utd offered 5 million for Waggy accordind to... on 10:29 - Jul 19 with 2844 viewsportmanking

Sheff Utd offered 5 million for Waggy accordind to... on 10:26 - Jul 19 by usm

Behave yourself!

I bet this time last year you were underwhelmed by the signing of Waghorn - a true journeyman.

£250K to £5m+ in a year is superb work by the club. And it could be that, like Murphy, this was a one off season for Waggy.

I dont want to see him go, but if we can get £7 or £8 M then that is a lot of kitty for PH to work on.

Waghorn was an excellent signing. He was a player that needed a home and a place to feel loved and he'd found that at Town. To cash in within 12 months of him demonstrating his value is complete and utter tinpot.
"Ipswich are now considered a selling club" on 10:36 - Jul 19 with 2796 viewschicoazul

"Ipswich are now considered a selling club" on 10:29 - Jul 19 by Dyland

I'm not bothering to even read the article. Back in the real world...

We have ALWAYS been a selling club. Always. Same as most clubs really.

We bother because we bleed blue. Same with other (generally) well supported clubs with no realistic chance of winning major trophies. I have my tinted glasses on but ITFC even more than others in terms of respect and fondness, often from afar and surprising sources.

COYFB

*but* as SWGF alludes to not necessarily of our best player to a club the same size as us in the same division with the same goals. Selling Dyer to Newcastle this is not.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Sheff Utd offered 5 million for Waggy accordind to... on 10:40 - Jul 19 with 2766 viewsMattinLondon

Sheff Utd offered 5 million for Waggy accordind to... on 10:29 - Jul 19 by portmanking

Waghorn was an excellent signing. He was a player that needed a home and a place to feel loved and he'd found that at Town. To cash in within 12 months of him demonstrating his value is complete and utter tinpot.

If he only has 12 months left on his contract and gives the management the impression that he was won’t sign a new contract then 8 million can not be considered tinpot.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024