Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Maddison for £22m yet pathetic £5m bids for Waghorn 13:16 - Jul 19 with 3400 viewsmos

What is going on? Norwich manage to sell Maddison for £22m yet a recent bid for Waghorn suggests other clubs are looking for him for around £5m.

Pathetic. Pretty sure Waghorn was one of the best (if not the best) player last season across the whole league on goals and assists, thus, tell anyone who bids under £10m to sod off.

But why is there such a price difference? The only things I can think of are:
Maddison is younger,
Attacking midfielders are more sought after?
It was a premier league team who bid for him.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

Maddison for £22m yet pathetic £5m bids for Waghorn on 13:19 - Jul 19 with 3376 viewsHerbivore

You've answered your own question. Maddison is young and could be worth double what Leicester paid with a decent season in the Prem. Waghorn's value is likely to only go one way from here given he turns 29 this season.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Maddison for £22m yet pathetic £5m bids for Waghorn on 13:21 - Jul 19 with 3347 viewsDanFord

You seem to be having trouble separating a sale and a bid my friend. Maddison is 7 years younger (21 instead of 28) and is seen as having a considerable amount of potential to develop into a top Premier League player. Waghorn is an ageing player who has reached his peak, which is why teams are only prepared to pay £5m, £7m, £9m for a player who might get 20 goals in the second tier, rather than a player than might play for 10 years at the top level. Leicester (and Narwich) also knew Mahrez was likely to go for £60m or so, which probably added a few million on the price.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2018 13:27]

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

Maddison for £22m yet pathetic £5m bids for Waghorn on 13:22 - Jul 19 with 3338 viewsSomethingBlue

Norwich got a sensational deal for Maddison, I agree, but it comes down to age and suitors as you say. If we got £7m+ for Waghorn then it is a no-brainer really.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Maddison for £22m yet pathetic £5m bids for Waghorn on 13:24 - Jul 19 with 3302 viewschristiand

Maddison for £22m yet pathetic £5m bids for Waghorn on 13:19 - Jul 19 by Herbivore

You've answered your own question. Maddison is young and could be worth double what Leicester paid with a decent season in the Prem. Waghorn's value is likely to only go one way from here given he turns 29 this season.

Yes, but Waghorn scores goals and those are a valued commodity. I agree with the OP, £5m is too cheap (regardless of his age) for a proven goalscorer in this league. Waghorn would make a significant difference to any sides’ attacking threat in the Championship, so pay the going rate instead of trying to pinch him on the cheap!!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Maddison for £22m yet pathetic £5m bids for Waghorn on 13:30 - Jul 19 with 3229 viewsHerbivore

Maddison for £22m yet pathetic £5m bids for Waghorn on 13:24 - Jul 19 by christiand

Yes, but Waghorn scores goals and those are a valued commodity. I agree with the OP, £5m is too cheap (regardless of his age) for a proven goalscorer in this league. Waghorn would make a significant difference to any sides’ attacking threat in the Championship, so pay the going rate instead of trying to pinch him on the cheap!!

Nobody has suggested £5m is a good deal for Waghorn and by the sounds of it the bid at that level was unsuccessful.

Maddison for £22m yet pathetic £5m bids for Waghorn on 13:34 - Jul 19 with 3198 viewsBasuco

I think you will find it was £20 million for Maddison and a part of that will be add ons, how much the fee and how much relies on Leicester winning the FA cup and Prem we will have to wait for nodge accounts as to the final price.
Maddison for £22m yet pathetic £5m bids for Waghorn on 13:36 - Jul 19 with 3183 viewschristiand

Maddison for £22m yet pathetic £5m bids for Waghorn on 13:30 - Jul 19 by Herbivore

Nobody has suggested £5m is a good deal for Waghorn and by the sounds of it the bid at that level was unsuccessful.

Don’t undersell his importance to us, if we are looking to sell £10m should be the opening bid anything less we aren’t interested. Goalscorers that also create chances are few and far between, he’d be a quality signing for any side in this league especially those pushing for promotion. So pay the market value for what he brings to a side.

Maddison for £22m yet pathetic £5m bids for Waghorn on 13:39 - Jul 19 with 3157 viewsHerbivore

Maddison for £22m yet pathetic £5m bids for Waghorn on 13:36 - Jul 19 by christiand

Don’t undersell his importance to us, if we are looking to sell £10m should be the opening bid anything less we aren’t interested. Goalscorers that also create chances are few and far between, he’d be a quality signing for any side in this league especially those pushing for promotion. So pay the market value for what he brings to a side.

I think £10m is not realistic when you factor in his age and his career record overall. I think anything north of £7m would be very hard to turn down.

Login to get fewer ads

Maddison for £22m yet pathetic £5m bids for Waghorn on 13:43 - Jul 19 with 3112 viewsJ2BLUE

Are you serious?

I like you mate but that is a ridiculous post.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Maddison for £22m yet pathetic £5m bids for Waghorn on 13:43 - Jul 19 with 3110 viewschristiand

Maddison for £22m yet pathetic £5m bids for Waghorn on 13:39 - Jul 19 by Herbivore

I think £10m is not realistic when you factor in his age and his career record overall. I think anything north of £7m would be very hard to turn down.

I’d have to play hardball Herbivore if I was ME, we start the bidding at £10m - no add ons, all up front! Let’s see who is really interested.

Maddison for £22m yet pathetic £5m bids for Waghorn on 14:39 - Jul 19 with 2954 viewsmos

Maddison for £22m yet pathetic £5m bids for Waghorn on 13:43 - Jul 19 by J2BLUE

Are you serious?

Surely you wouldn’t have him sold at circa £5m?

£10m plus for the man at least isn’t it? Unless you are regarding something else about my OP.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum

Maddison for £22m yet pathetic £5m bids for Waghorn on 17:36 - Jul 19 with 2755 viewsmos

Maddison for £22m yet pathetic £5m bids for Waghorn on 13:43 - Jul 19 by J2BLUE

Are you serious?

Whoops, accidentally downvoted when trying to hit the middle one.

My bad.

Maddison for £22m yet pathetic £5m bids for Waghorn on 18:00 - Jul 19 with 2651 viewsHARRY10

Maddison for £22m yet pathetic £5m bids for Waghorn on 17:36 - Jul 19 by mos

Whoops, accidentally downvoted when trying to hit the middle one.

My bad.

your bad what ?
Maddison for £22m yet pathetic £5m bids for Waghorn on 18:02 - Jul 19 with 2643 viewsjpring89

We sold Murphy for what 3-4 million at 33 was it. Waghorn just turning 29 this season. 5 million is utter rubbish. 10 atleast all money upfront. He’s worth more to us to be fair I wouldn’t sell.

Poll: What irritates you more ?

Maddison for £22m yet pathetic £5m bids for Waghorn on 19:06 - Jul 19 with 2492 viewsmos

Maddison for £22m yet pathetic £5m bids for Waghorn on 18:00 - Jul 19 by HARRY10

your bad what ?

For accidentally downvoting his post.

Maddison for £22m yet pathetic £5m bids for Waghorn on 19:11 - Jul 19 with 2465 viewsfloridaboy

Maddison for £22m yet pathetic £5m bids for Waghorn on 14:39 - Jul 19 by mos

Surely you wouldn’t have him sold at circa £5m?

£10m plus for the man at least isn’t it? Unless you are regarding something else about my OP.

Of course everyone is assuming that Waghorn wants to leave. Just moved his parents to Suffolk so why the hell would he want to uproot again!

Surely the player has a bit to play in the transfer. On a decent wage, guaranteed to start but then football is a funny sport at the moment.

But Sheffield United and Birmingham!!! Plus Forest and Derby are just spending money for the sake of it to try and buy promotion and Derby have proved that spending loads doesn't work!!
Maddison for £22m yet pathetic £5m bids for Waghorn on 09:49 - Jul 20 with 2067 viewsSamWhiteUK

Maddison for £22m yet pathetic £5m bids for Waghorn on 13:19 - Jul 19 by Herbivore

I'm sorry but the current financial state of football where a Championship midfielder goes for 22m and there is talk of him being worth 40+ after 1 year in the Prem is just absolutely f*cking ridiculous
Maddison for £22m yet pathetic £5m bids for Waghorn on 10:04 - Jul 20 with 2015 viewsHerbivore

Maddison for £22m yet pathetic £5m bids for Waghorn on 09:49 - Jul 20 by SamWhiteUK

I'm sorry but the current financial state of football where a Championship midfielder goes for 22m and there is talk of him being worth 40+ after 1 year in the Prem is just absolutely f*cking ridiculous

I agree, but that's the way it is. The money in the Prem is unreal.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024