Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cancelling gym membership directly via Direct Debit 13:29 - Jul 19 with 5339 viewsRoyKeanesDog

I cancelled my membership with my gym via direct debit with the blind hope that they would not bother chasing up on it. Unfortunately I was wrong and they are being persistent in chasing me.

I'm going to go down the route of "I lost my job and circumstances have changed etc" and I will be able to get a letter from my old boss proving this.

Any TWTD'ers have any advice on the matter?

Poll: Best Football Song

Cancelling gym membership directly via Direct Debit on 13:35 - Jul 19 with 5298 viewsBurwell_Blue

Ring them up now and ask the name of the person you are speaking to.

Then, email them and say I spoke with "xxxx" six weeks ago and confirmed I was cancelling due to *insert reason here* - he/she said it was fine, no problem.

Ask them to go and investigate as you gave "xxxx" a letter confirming this as requested.

Job done, you will not hear from them again.
Cancelling gym membership directly via Direct Debit on 13:49 - Jul 19 with 5231 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Cancelling gym membership directly via Direct Debit on 13:35 - Jul 19 by Burwell_Blue

Ring them up now and ask the name of the person you are speaking to.

Then, email them and say I spoke with "xxxx" six weeks ago and confirmed I was cancelling due to *insert reason here* - he/she said it was fine, no problem.

Ask them to go and investigate as you gave "xxxx" a letter confirming this as requested.

Job done, you will not hear from them again.

That won’t wash if they pass it to a debt collection company. He will end up in court owing the backdated fees, bailiffs cost and court costs
Cancelling gym membership directly via Direct Debit on 13:52 - Jul 19 with 5219 viewsBurwell_Blue

Cancelling gym membership directly via Direct Debit on 13:49 - Jul 19 by FrowsyArmLarry

That won’t wash if they pass it to a debt collection company. He will end up in court owing the backdated fees, bailiffs cost and court costs

Its all about the confidence you portray. You can get away with anything if you go about things the right way.
Cancelling gym membership directly via Direct Debit on 13:55 - Jul 19 with 5205 viewsWeirdFishes

I had the exact same issue, ignored them but they persisted. Threatened to pass me to European debt collectors so I just paid them whatever it was.

TWTD Participant
Poll: Who's Worse?

Cancelling gym membership directly via Direct Debit on 14:39 - Jul 19 with 5109 viewsBetablocker

But why did you cancel the membership??
Cancelling gym membership directly via Direct Debit on 14:44 - Jul 19 with 5097 viewsBluefish

Martin Lewis is your friend in all matters like this

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Cancelling gym membership directly via Direct Debit on 15:22 - Jul 19 with 5038 viewsGeoffSentence

Cancelling gym membership directly via Direct Debit on 14:44 - Jul 19 by Bluefish

and he is very flattering about the toilets at Ipswich station, a good egg all round.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Cancelling gym membership directly via Direct Debit on 15:25 - Jul 19 with 5028 viewsGeoffSentence

Cancelling gym membership directly via Direct Debit on 14:39 - Jul 19 by Betablocker

But why did you cancel the membership??

Town centre gym? Can't use it on match days?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Login to get fewer ads

Cancelling gym membership directly via Direct Debit on 16:14 - Jul 19 with 4954 viewsloyalfan

Cancelling gym membership directly via Direct Debit on 15:25 - Jul 19 by GeoffSentence

Town centre gym? Can't use it on match days?

Do you know whether you have to cancel via the gym in person or online? If the latter, then you won’t be able to claim you have done this if you haven’t. You are NOT meant to cancel your direct debit until you have had confirmation your membership has been cancelled. Also, have you completed the “term”of your membership?
Cancelling gym membership directly via Direct Debit on 19:26 - Jul 19 with 4824 viewsflimflam

Read the small print and terms of the agreement you signed up to.

I had similar issue as terms stated that you still pay for 3 months after you cancel. I thought I could just cancel the DD but the gym manager phoned me up and reminded me that if I broke the agreement then I would be billed 12 months and they would follow it through with debt collectors if needs be.

I just went and paid the 3 months in cash in the end.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Cancelling gym membership directly via Direct Debit on 19:31 - Jul 19 with 4811 viewsHerbivore

Cancelling gym membership directly via Direct Debit on 13:52 - Jul 19 by Burwell_Blue

Its all about the confidence you portray. You can get away with anything if you go about things the right way.

I'm not sure your approach, which potentially leads to getting an innocent gym employee in bother with their employer, could be described as going about things in the right way.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2018 20:07]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Cancelling gym membership directly via Direct Debit on 20:03 - Jul 19 with 4767 viewsGogs

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/changed-your-mind/cancelling-a-gym-me
Read the bit under 'If you can’t afford to pay anymore'
Cancelling gym membership directly via Direct Debit on 20:20 - Jul 19 with 4720 viewsstickymockwell

Cancelling gym membership directly via Direct Debit on 19:31 - Jul 19 by Herbivore

I'm not sure your approach, which potentially leads to getting an innocent gym employee in bother with their employer, could be described as going about things in the right way.

Meh
I hate Gym membership contracts. They target people and I expect that the management know all the games. No one will be hurt over it.

Give him a ball and a yard of grass
Poll: Best left back in the last 10 years

Cancelling gym membership directly via Direct Debit on 20:59 - Jul 19 with 4647 viewsRob88

Cancelling gym membership directly via Direct Debit on 14:44 - Jul 19 by Bluefish

Yeah but wouldn’t he say read the contract?
Cancelling gym membership directly via Direct Debit on 05:06 - Jul 20 with 4499 viewsconnorscontract

Cancelling gym membership directly via Direct Debit on 09:31 - Jul 20 with 4383 viewsWarkTheWark

Who was it with?

Just did the same as recently moved out to Needham & they called me 3 times a week for 4 weeks so ended up paying to end of contract (3 months) in one hit. Very annoying but i don't doubt they'd have gone down the collection route for it.

I was with Ipswich Sports Club which otherwise was a decent place to go. Sauna sessions with Burley were funny.
Cancelling gym membership directly via Direct Debit on 09:48 - Jul 20 with 4352 viewsloyalfan

Cancelling gym membership directly via Direct Debit on 09:31 - Jul 20 by WarkTheWark

Who was it with?

Just did the same as recently moved out to Needham & they called me 3 times a week for 4 weeks so ended up paying to end of contract (3 months) in one hit. Very annoying but i don't doubt they'd have gone down the collection route for it.

I was with Ipswich Sports Club which otherwise was a decent place to go. Sauna sessions with Burley were funny.

You also need to know who deals with the finances of gym membership. Where I work we contract out to a finance company and I am not sure how much you would be chased- you would just suddenly get a collection letter. Also, remember you are almost definitely going to have to give a months notice to cancel whatever the terms are and so when they try and take your August payment it will "bounce". Upto you what you do but I would try and sort it out before you have to go to the hassle of trying to sort it out in a months time.....
Cancelling gym membership directly via Direct Debit on 09:53 - Jul 20 with 4345 viewschicoazul

A friend of mine drives to the gym to use their running machines. Whats that all about?

In answer to the Opie, all depends on if you are under contract. If you are then they have you by the balls but often if you go in there speak with a Manager and offer to part-pay the contract, give them a sob story etc they will come to an agreement.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Cancelling gym membership directly via Direct Debit on 12:21 - Jul 20 with 4275 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Tell them you’ve fallen on hard times and can only afford to pay them a £1 a month

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Cancelling gym membership directly via Direct Debit on 12:29 - Jul 20 with 4254 viewshype313

Don't do that, go through the proper channels which essentially can be just a one line email, give them 30 days notice otherwise they will track you down by any means necessary and it's not worth the pain.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Cancelling gym membership directly via Direct Debit on 14:06 - Jul 20 with 4188 viewsBurwell_Blue

Cancelling gym membership directly via Direct Debit on 19:31 - Jul 19 by Herbivore

Said employee will deny, company decides its not worth the hassle.

Done it three times with gyms due to moving home.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024