Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Oz Travellers 17:56 - Jul 19 with 5172 viewsartsbossbeard

Right, I'm booking flights/holidays for next year, where I suspect that I'll either be bitten by a snake, spider, shark or stinger or maybe a combination of all 4.

Anyhoo, two of the most "cost effective" 1 stop* options into Brisbane are:

China Airways
China Southern

Anyone flown with these? Any reviews?
I'm getting Eddie Murphy travelling to Nepal in The Golden Child vibes, I'll be honest.

Or am I best to pay a couple of quid more and simply go Emirates?

Thanks in advance
ABB

*I really don't want a 2 stop option, cheers.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Oz Travellers on 18:51 - Jul 19 with 4205 viewsfactual_blue

Singapore Airlines is the only correct answer.

Although you can fly Emirates from Stansted these days (change at Dubai Parkway).

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Oz Travellers on 19:01 - Jul 19 with 4189 viewsbrogansnose

Have a word with Victory.
Oz Travellers on 20:08 - Jul 19 with 4129 viewsGrief

no idea how tall you are but seats pitch in both of these are really small, a very uncomfortable long flight.

malaysia through KL should have deals from time to time
Oz Travellers on 20:42 - Jul 19 with 4086 viewsblueblueburleymcgrew

I have flown China Southern to Australia as it happens albeit a few years ago now and It’s ok to be honest.

I can’t vouch for China Airways except that it used to be on the black list of Airlines our firm had of who not to travel with.

KLM do some good deals if you don’t mind adding another stop at Schipol, otherwise for me it has to BA, Singapore Airline or Emirates.

EDIT: think Elder Grizzly might be your man for this sort of advice?
[Post edited 19 Jul 2018 20:45]
Oz Travellers on 21:29 - Jul 19 with 4035 viewsDurovigutum

I've done JAL, Quantus, Etihad and in two weeks time Cathay Pacific. I've been warned off the China airlines options, Etihad were good but two stops (Abu Dhabi and Singapore) and JAL Quantus a long way around. With Cathay Pacific we are stopping in Hong Kong three days to break it up. For this sort of trip I'd ask a decent travel agent as we saved £300 each by flying out from Gatwick and back in via Heathrow - flight centre are good.
Oz Travellers on 21:35 - Jul 19 with 4011 viewsReuser_is_God

When I went I used Singapore airlines.

I didn’t pay for the flights so don’t know how much they cost but was very good, I’d recommend looking into them. One stop in Singapore too.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Oz Travellers on 21:38 - Jul 19 with 4003 viewsmos

Just swim there. Put on your speedos and off you go.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

Oz Travellers on 21:55 - Jul 19 with 3971 viewsNewcyBlue

Flew China Southern to Ningbo. Really wasn’t keen.

Emirates.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Login to get fewer ads

Oz Travellers on 22:04 - Jul 19 with 3953 viewsParisBlue

Oz Travellers on 21:55 - Jul 19 by NewcyBlue

Flew China Southern to Ningbo. Really wasn’t keen.

Emirates.

Emirates on the A380
[Post edited 19 Jul 2018 22:04]

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Oz Travellers on 23:39 - Jul 19 with 3877 viewsTillz9

Singapore airlines are much better from what the people who come to visit us say.
We flew China southern when we moved out here as cheap, pretty average but not terrible.
Oz Travellers on 01:05 - Jul 20 with 3851 viewsunstableblue

I have flown 3 Middle East carriers to Australia in the 12 months... in order of preference:

1. Qatar
2. Etihad
3. Emirates

But all three good; although slightly spoilt in business.

Emirates is now flying from Stansted on new planes and there are some cracking rates, so try that as your departure point.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Oz Travellers on 01:17 - Jul 20 with 3844 viewsYaffle

Consider Korean Air. One of the shorter/faster routes, good value, great service, adequate seat pitch in economy (I’m 6’5” and it was fine) and a stopover in the amazing city of Seoul. Of the 4x I’ve travelled to Brisbane, Korean was the best. Their 777-300 in economy is a 3-3-3 config rather than 3-4-3 in pretty much every other carrier. Makes a big difference.
Oz Travellers on 01:21 - Jul 20 with 3839 viewsjeera

I came home direct* with Qantas. No problems, clean, reliable. Free booze on a 24 hour flight.

*It was supposed to be direct, but there was a storm and the plane diverted a bit, so stopped for a quick fuel top-up down the road at Frankfurt.

I suppose drink isn't included nowadays.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2018 1:28]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Oz Travellers on 04:25 - Jul 20 with 3793 viewsAtractorive

I don't know much about those 2 airlines and how "budget" they are but I would look at what is included in the flight. I know a few people that have been caught out going with the cheapest airline and having to pay extra for food, booze and entertainment.

Not saying that those airlines won't include them, but if you're anything like me and enjoy a few beers/whiskeys and a rom com on a long haul flight, I would be looking into that.

If they do, I would probably risk it and pay extra for a good seat.
Oz Travellers on 04:28 - Jul 20 with 3790 viewsAtractorive

Oz Travellers on 01:21 - Jul 20 by jeera

I came home direct* with Qantas. No problems, clean, reliable. Free booze on a 24 hour flight.

*It was supposed to be direct, but there was a storm and the plane diverted a bit, so stopped for a quick fuel top-up down the road at Frankfurt.

I suppose drink isn't included nowadays.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2018 1:28]

"I suppose drink isn't included nowadays"

I think it is with the better airlines. I flew from London to Sydney with a stopover in Hong Kong last year and it was. I think they are a little stricter on it though, was told politely to "slow down" from hong Kong to Sydney.
[Redacted] on 04:48 - Jul 20 with 3785 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Oz Travellers on 06:27 - Jul 20 with 3753 viewsLesta_Tractor

FLOwn China Southern between Melbourne and SE Asia a few times, Premium Economy is good but the stop in Guangzhou is like going back in time!

PS. Don’t worry about the sharks, snakes, spiders or stingers... it’s the bloody magpies that will get you.

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

Oz Travellers on 07:45 - Jul 20 with 3714 viewsartsbossbeard

Cheers all, much appreciated.

Emirates straight outta Stansted sounds ideal.

Victory: will be in touch nearer the time but looking at Easter next year. Cousin lives on The Gold Coast, so base camp is there.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

Oz Travellers on 08:11 - Jul 20 with 3687 viewsBetablocker

Hi both not that flash tbh but that was a whike ago. Malaysia were also decent value. Where are you heading after brizzie?
Oz Travellers on 08:35 - Jul 20 with 3672 viewsartsbossbeard

Oz Travellers on 08:11 - Jul 20 by Betablocker

Hi both not that flash tbh but that was a whike ago. Malaysia were also decent value. Where are you heading after brizzie?

Cheers.

Yep, some time up on The Gold Coast, A visit to Ipswich for the craic and then down to Sydney for a week before finishing off back with Cuz and family.

Oz Travellers on 08:39 - Jul 20 with 3668 viewsBetablocker

Oz Travellers on 08:35 - Jul 20 by artsbossbeard

Cheers.

Yep, some time up on The Gold Coast, A visit to Ipswich for the craic and then down to Sydney for a week before finishing off back with Cuz and family.

Nice 1. Sydney in spring is magic. Yeah Ipswich will be an eye opener for you!

Ive been here 10 years now apart from a few spiders the sharks dont tend to bother me too much. Snakes - what snakes??

Sure you'll love it
Oz Travellers on 08:45 - Jul 20 with 3658 viewsartsbossbeard

Oz Travellers on 08:39 - Jul 20 by Betablocker

Nice 1. Sydney in spring is magic. Yeah Ipswich will be an eye opener for you!

Ive been here 10 years now apart from a few spiders the sharks dont tend to bother me too much. Snakes - what snakes??

Sure you'll love it

Looking forward to it and it will be great to meet up with my cousin and family again, it's been ages.

We're big US travel fans and will normally go every year but I can't justify it with Trumpy McTrumpface in charge, so the offer to visit from the family was wonderfully timed.

As a youngster and when my uncle visited, he'd regale us with stories of snakes in his back garden or hiding in "the dunny". Freaked me out as a 10yr old! He also had the audacity to put his beer in my Nan's fridge, which freaked out my Dad and my other uncle.

[Redacted] on 10:09 - Jul 20 with 3597 viewsvictorywilhappen

Oz Travellers on 07:45 - Jul 20 by artsbossbeard

Cheers all, much appreciated.

Emirates straight outta Stansted sounds ideal.

Victory: will be in touch nearer the time but looking at Easter next year. Cousin lives on The Gold Coast, so base camp is there.

[Redacted]
Oz Travellers on 10:27 - Jul 20 with 3566 viewsjpr_23

[Redacted] on 10:09 - Jul 20 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

This man speaks a lot of sense, jetlag is a bummer when you first get there, and it is grim doing it in someone else's house.

Flew to Oz twice in the last few years, did Emirates the first time and Royal Brunei the second. Royal Brunei was ace, but it is a dry airline. Didn't mind as was flying with a young kid and really wanted to go to Brunei. Had a great stop over there, except for the durian!

Emirates is great, but not sure if they do a one-stop option to Brisbane.

Blog: Why We Need a New Five-Year Plan

Oz Travellers on 11:03 - Jul 20 with 3539 viewsTractorWood

[Redacted] on 04:48 - Jul 20 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

I've even used Garuda through Jakarta. I got a dirt cheap business class flight last year. It was the same price as premium economy BA!

I'm not picky about airlines, I just try and get the best possible cabin for value. As others have said, you can't go that far wrong with Singapore, Cathay or Emirates. If you're going premium economy I'd go Cathay. For economy, Singapore are probably the best, their regional arm Silkair are pretty pleasant and Changi is nice to transfer through.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024