Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 00:00 - Jul 20 with 7802 viewsmos

I see a lot of people use these terms as insults. Basically paraphrasing that the bloke is an arrogant snob.

But I’ve literally seen the word ‘Tory’ used as an insult. Is this a relatively new thing or has it been going on for years?

- I’m not disclosing what I am, for I am sort of neither, there are policies which I agree with for both of the political parties.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 11:18 - Jul 20 with 2633 viewsGlasgowBlue

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 11:04 - Jul 20 by hype313

It's Tory smears apparently. Oh and rich Jews like Margaret Hodge.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 11:33 - Jul 20 with 2614 viewsGlasgowBlue

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 11:11 - Jul 20 by Bluefish

I gave up he will argue regardless and demand evidence for random things.

I did like the fact that this thread is about how the left have made Tory an offensive word yet he decided calling them a cult was a disgrace and spreading fear. Apparently calling something a name to make it scary is not something that the cult have never done.

Evidence...evidence...EVIDENCE!!!

Herbie, as usual, will completely ignore the facts that don't suit his agenda.

Iron Lion Zion

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 12:11 - Jul 20 with 2592 viewsmos

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 09:20 - Jul 20 by chicoazul

Good question and an interesting talking point mos. I am a conservative person but not a Conservative. The distinction being a conservative person would prefer the old, the particular, the local, the care-worn and the proven. More broadly if you like the values of the English church and historically these were the values of the Conservative party until the last 40 years or so. Generally speaking as you say people like me tend to be seen as arrogant and snobbish by people who would probably describe themselves more as progressive and would also tend to be more interested in change in society, politics, economics etc and those people would use "conservative" as an insult and interchange it with "Tory" and "Conservative".

EDIT; Tory has been used as an insult for many many years now.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2018 9:22]

It’s all a bit of a muddle. Although yes, it does seem that being more conservative instantly gives you snobbery traits. When in fact that’s clearly not the case, or even still you can have very faint conservative ideas yet you are still labelled as a so and so.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 12:16 - Jul 20 with 2573 viewsjaykay

the opening post was about insults. truce used the word cult,which was used by the tory press as a insult to the young labour followers. he was saying it was wrong to use insults.then used one. can anyone show me where the word cult was used about labour pre 2017 post 2015.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 12:22 - Jul 20 with 2577 viewsBluefish

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 12:16 - Jul 20 by jaykay

the opening post was about insults. truce used the word cult,which was used by the tory press as a insult to the young labour followers. he was saying it was wrong to use insults.then used one. can anyone show me where the word cult was used about labour pre 2017 post 2015.

I didn't say it was wrong. Both parties do it and I acknowledged it. For some reason it was then transformed to be about defending the cult. Standard from the cult

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 12:29 - Jul 20 with 2569 viewschicoazul

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 12:11 - Jul 20 by mos

It’s all a bit of a muddle. Although yes, it does seem that being more conservative instantly gives you snobbery traits. When in fact that’s clearly not the case, or even still you can have very faint conservative ideas yet you are still labelled as a so and so.

It's not much of a muddle really. Conservatives are not socially conservative in the proper definition anymore since there seems to be nothing the Conservative party want to "conserve". They are in their own ways almost every bit as "progressive" as their counterparts, hating & destroying as they do the family, the institution of marriage, the Christian church, selective education based on ability not wealth, the armed forces, and many of the UKs laws traditions institutions and systems. This is mostly due to the fact they saw how successful those opinions made Blair and decided to take them up without really understanding what they meant. This is why the Tory party continues to die and lose members. Big money props it up and buys it votes at elections in return for the party's support of their aims of globalisation, neo-liberalism, open borders, legalisation of currently illegal drugs etc.

It's also important to take a second look at people you may think are socially conservative within the Tory party e.g. Rees-Mogg. Comes across pretty much as you would expect a Tory to, right? Tweedy, stuffy, posh, talks with a plum in his throat. And yet if you look at what he *does* in parliament you will see he is a Thatcherite to his bones. And Thatcherism is not conservatism, dedicated as it was and is to change.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 14:18 - Jul 20 with 2526 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

It's not like they would cheat a new mum out of her parliamentary vote is it?............

..........oh!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 14:27 - Jul 20 with 2522 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 10:54 - Jul 20 by GlasgowBlue

Tory press like the Guardian you mean?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/sep/30/labour-conference-more-lik

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/sep/29/jeremy-corbyn-labour-conference

But you are right. Definitely not a cult.

"Oh Jeremy Corbyn"

https://livinginamadhouse.wordpress.com/2013/04/24/margaret-thatcher-and-the-cul

[Post edited 20 Jul 2018 14:27]

Login to get fewer ads

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 14:33 - Jul 20 with 2514 viewsGlasgowBlue

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 14:27 - Jul 20 by BanksterDebtSlave

https://livinginamadhouse.wordpress.com/2013/04/24/margaret-thatcher-and-the-cul

[Post edited 20 Jul 2018 14:27]

Indeed. The cult of Thatcher was and remains detrimental to the Conservative party.

I’m pleased that with this demonstration of whatabouterry you accept the the current Labour Party is very much built around the cult of Corbyn.

That’s two things we have been in complete agreement with:

1. Israel has the right to exist
2. Labour is a Corbyn cult.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2018 15:48]

Iron Lion Zion

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 19:21 - Jul 20 with 2475 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 14:33 - Jul 20 by GlasgowBlue

Indeed. The cult of Thatcher was and remains detrimental to the Conservative party.

I’m pleased that with this demonstration of whatabouterry you accept the the current Labour Party is very much built around the cult of Corbyn.

That’s two things we have been in complete agreement with:

1. Israel has the right to exist
2. Labour is a Corbyn cult.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2018 15:48]

No state has a 'right' to exist.......( particularly ones sketched out by colonial civil servants drawing straight lines through Africa)
......all political parties are a but culty!

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 19:32 - Jul 20 with 2446 viewsjaykay

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 19:21 - Jul 20 by BanksterDebtSlave

No state has a 'right' to exist.......( particularly ones sketched out by colonial civil servants drawing straight lines through Africa)

yeah but we are good at drawing lines through countries. india, ireland, far east etc

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 19:35 - Jul 20 with 2450 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 19:21 - Jul 20 by BanksterDebtSlave

So where do you want to exile the eight million Jews that live there to?
To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 20:03 - Jul 20 with 2430 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 19:35 - Jul 20 by FrowsyArmLarry

So where do you want to exile the eight million Jews that live there to?

I'm playing the long game........hopefully in the end all sides will realise that religion is a bit fookin' silly!

.......then they can all get along and concentrate on kicking out their mutual oppressors.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2018 20:05]

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 20:23 - Jul 20 with 2423 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 20:03 - Jul 20 by BanksterDebtSlave

I'm playing the long game........hopefully in the end all sides will realise that religion is a bit fookin' silly!

.......then they can all get along and concentrate on kicking out their mutual oppressors.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2018 20:05]

1) nice idea but it’s unlikely to go away
2) if it wasn’t for the mutual oppressors you’d still be living in a field, eating dung
To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 20:47 - Jul 20 with 2414 viewsBrixtonBlue

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 10:54 - Jul 20 by GlasgowBlue

Tory press like the Guardian you mean?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/sep/30/labour-conference-more-lik

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/sep/29/jeremy-corbyn-labour-conference

But you are right. Definitely not a cult.

"Oh Jeremy Corbyn"

People support various parties. Why is one in particular a cult (other than the obvious that you want to smear it)?

Why are the people that support the Conservatives not part of a cult? What's the difference?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 23:38 - Jul 20 with 2370 viewsbaxterbasics

I've never described myself as a Tory, only a conservative. It's only an insult to those who don't really understand what it means.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 06:58 - Jul 21 with 2330 viewsm14_blue

To be honest, over the last couple of years, I've seen far, far more of a rise in people using 'lefties' 'libtard' etc as an insult.

Both groups are idiots though, attempting to pigeon hole people into two camps because it makes the world easier to understand (and then rage at).
To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 07:23 - Jul 21 with 2322 viewsGlasgowBlue

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 20:47 - Jul 20 by BrixtonBlue

People support various parties. Why is one in particular a cult (other than the obvious that you want to smear it)?

Why are the people that support the Conservatives not part of a cult? What's the difference?

Do you honestly believe that the Maybot has enough of a personality to build a cult around? If you glad bothered to read my other post on the subject you’d have seen that I said that a cult was built around Thatcher. That cult still exists within about 10 Tory MP’s.

Moggmentum is a cult. Albeit a very small cult built around a backbench MP who is very vocal and often in the media. If he became leader of the Conservative party, highly unlikely, then that cult would no doubt grow. But not on the scale of the cult of Corbyn who seems to have picked up a following from the lost, lonely, dispossessed, disenfranchised and those who are looking for someone with a magic wand to change their lives, regardless of the realities of what he promises.

The whole movement is very much based around Corbyn. Hence the formation of Momentum which grew from the “Jeremy for Leader” campaign.

I’d suggest you are the perfect example of somebody who follows the cult of Corbyn. You defend everything he says and does, even to the extent of defending and agreeing with him when he has been forced to put out conflicting statements. You always look to blame the media, Tories, Blairite MP’s and you even use his advisors incompetence as a shield to protect the Jezziah.

Iron Lion Zion

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 08:39 - Jul 21 with 2302 viewsDubtractor

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 20:47 - Jul 20 by BrixtonBlue

I have to say, as a lefty myself, that there very clearly is a "cult of Corbyn", and it is a little bit embarrassing.

Not saying that everyone who supports him is a part of it, far from it, but it exists.

I mean, FFS, look at this link on the labour website.....

https://shop.labour.org.uk/products/jeremy-corbyn/

What sort of person would actually buy a Corbyn tote bag?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 08:56 - Jul 21 with 2295 viewsm14_blue

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 08:39 - Jul 21 by Dubtractor

I have to say, as a lefty myself, that there very clearly is a "cult of Corbyn", and it is a little bit embarrassing.

Not saying that everyone who supports him is a part of it, far from it, but it exists.

I mean, FFS, look at this link on the labour website.....

https://shop.labour.org.uk/products/jeremy-corbyn/

What sort of person would actually buy a Corbyn tote bag?

Yep, it definitely exists and is a massive turn off for many of the middle ground.

I like Corbyn, would happily go for a drink with them, but the cult thing makes my toes curl.
To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 10:07 - Jul 21 with 2278 viewsBrixtonBlue

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 07:23 - Jul 21 by GlasgowBlue

Do you honestly believe that the Maybot has enough of a personality to build a cult around? If you glad bothered to read my other post on the subject you’d have seen that I said that a cult was built around Thatcher. That cult still exists within about 10 Tory MP’s.

Moggmentum is a cult. Albeit a very small cult built around a backbench MP who is very vocal and often in the media. If he became leader of the Conservative party, highly unlikely, then that cult would no doubt grow. But not on the scale of the cult of Corbyn who seems to have picked up a following from the lost, lonely, dispossessed, disenfranchised and those who are looking for someone with a magic wand to change their lives, regardless of the realities of what he promises.

The whole movement is very much based around Corbyn. Hence the formation of Momentum which grew from the “Jeremy for Leader” campaign.

I’d suggest you are the perfect example of somebody who follows the cult of Corbyn. You defend everything he says and does, even to the extent of defending and agreeing with him when he has been forced to put out conflicting statements. You always look to blame the media, Tories, Blairite MP’s and you even use his advisors incompetence as a shield to protect the Jezziah.

All you've really described is 'some people support a leader they believe in' (and I'm not sure why the adjective "lonely" is in there. More you smearing the other side I suspect. I'm sure there are plenty of lonely Tories).

But you describe this 'supporting a leader you believe in' in derogatory terms. I'm not sure why. Is the main difference between why May doesn't have a cult and Corbyn does because he has a personality? He's likeable?

That's not such a bad thing is it?

It's funny how you say I defend everything he says and does (that's wrong - it's well documented that I'm a remainer and I disagree with him on Europe - something you yourself have tried to trip me up on, so you've contradicted yourself there).

But anyway, you say i defend everything he says and does... yet you, on the flip side, ATTACK everything he says and does.

And yet I'm the bad one?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 14:34 - Jul 21 with 2245 viewsNo9

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 00:11 - Jul 20 by Guthrum

"Tory" was originally a 17th century political insult, the name being taken from a bunch of Irish brigands, used to describe the broadly pro-Jacobite, anti-Walpole, opposed to war with France faction which eventually morphed into what is now the Conservative Party.

Likewise "Wiggamores", shortened to "Whigs" (after a bunch of Scottish rioters) was applied to a distant ancestor of what are now the LibDems.

The two terms gained respectability in the 18th and 19th centuries.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2018 0:13]

To help all understand this, basic education in politics with the hstory of any party + what they originally stood for should be mandatory.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024