Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 00:00 - Jul 20 with 7834 viewsmos

I see a lot of people use these terms as insults. Basically paraphrasing that the bloke is an arrogant snob.

But I’ve literally seen the word ‘Tory’ used as an insult. Is this a relatively new thing or has it been going on for years?

- I’m not disclosing what I am, for I am sort of neither, there are policies which I agree with for both of the political parties.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 09:04 - Jul 20 with 1862 viewsBluefish

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 08:52 - Jul 20 by Herbivore

The unwavering support of 90% of the UK press got May elected, a lot of what they published about the Labour party and Corbyn was innuendo and smear and not responsible reporting. Glad you've conceded that you were wrong about which side perpetuates fear though, that's progress.

Bit childish

If you can't see that the cult of jc perpetuate fear there is probably no point discussing further. As you will see from my reply I have added balance. Not being in a cult allows me to do this.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 09:15 - Jul 20 with 1857 viewsBrixtonBlue

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 07:25 - Jul 20 by Bluefish

It is all part of the cult of Corbyn illusion. They have to get people afraid to get their support otherwise they might look deeper into their unworkable policies.

Tory has been an insult since way before Corbyn.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 09:20 - Jul 20 with 1857 viewschicoazul

Good question and an interesting talking point mos. I am a conservative person but not a Conservative. The distinction being a conservative person would prefer the old, the particular, the local, the care-worn and the proven. More broadly if you like the values of the English church and historically these were the values of the Conservative party until the last 40 years or so. Generally speaking as you say people like me tend to be seen as arrogant and snobbish by people who would probably describe themselves more as progressive and would also tend to be more interested in change in society, politics, economics etc and those people would use "conservative" as an insult and interchange it with "Tory" and "Conservative".

EDIT; Tory has been used as an insult for many many years now.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2018 9:22]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 09:26 - Jul 20 with 1842 viewsfactual_blue

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 07:34 - Jul 20 by blueblueburleymcgrew

Sadly the word Tory is normally followed by the word scum.

Apparently it’s all part of the kinder gentler politics we are supposed to enjoying these days.

'Correctly' isn't spelt 's-a-d-l-y'

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 09:51 - Jul 20 with 1820 viewsBrixtonBlue

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 09:04 - Jul 20 by Bluefish

Bit childish

If you can't see that the cult of jc perpetuate fear there is probably no point discussing further. As you will see from my reply I have added balance. Not being in a cult allows me to do this.

Once again, unbelievable. You accuse him of being childish then in the same breath describe any supporter of the Labour Party as being in a cult.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 09:59 - Jul 20 with 1813 viewsHerbivore

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 09:04 - Jul 20 by Bluefish

Bit childish

Can you give some examples of Corbyn using fear as a tactic to win votes?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 10:09 - Jul 20 with 1805 viewsBluefish

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 09:59 - Jul 20 by Herbivore

Can you give some examples of Corbyn using fear as a tactic to win votes?

Evidence!! You are sparks and I claim my 5 pounds

If you want to say that Jezza hasn't got an enormous spin team behind him to build momentum for a backs against the wall cult then it is pointless trying to reason.

The trouble with cults is that the people in them can't see what they have become and when someone else points it out they become extremely defensive

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 10:13 - Jul 20 with 1796 viewsBrixtonBlue

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 10:09 - Jul 20 by Bluefish

If you want to say that Jezza hasn't got an enormous spin team behind him to build momentum for a backs against the wall cult then it is pointless trying to reason.

The trouble with cults is that the people in them can't see what they have become and when someone else points it out they become extremely defensive

So you haven't got any evidence then?

As usual.

Login to get fewer ads

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 10:19 - Jul 20 with 1785 viewsHerbivore

You see what I did when I wanted to show that you were wrong was I provided evidence, I gave you examples of tactics the Tories, backed by the right wing press, have used in order to win elections and these tactics are based on fear. It's quite reasonable to use evidence in a debate, in fact it's pretty essential. So if Corbyn is indeed spreading fear to try to win votes it shouldn't be hard for you to provide some evidence of that. If you can't what it suggests to me is that actually you have no basis for your claim that Corbyn spreads fear. So the onus is on you to demonstrate to me that he does, using evidence. You were happy to produce 'evidence' that you can buy a house for under £100k the other day so I don't know why you've gone shy now.

And to imply I'm brainwashed is, frankly, ridiculous. I alternate between Green and Labour as a voter but am not a massive Corbyn fan overall, I like some of his values but in other areas he could have done better. I'm not a fan of his (lack of a) stance on Brexit at a time when it's unravelling and he has a chance to offer a genuine alternative. I also think at times he is too stubborn and this prevents him from making the Labour party genuinely more left whilst still being able to appeal to the centre. So you are way off base with your accusations (again). Resorting to personal attacks suggests to me that you don't really have an argument so you're trying to be dismissive of the opposite view to yours rather than making a positive case for your own viewpoint. Interestingly this is basically what the Tories tend to do.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2018 10:21]

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 10:22 - Jul 20 with 1785 viewsBluefish

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 10:19 - Jul 20 by Herbivore

You see what I did when I wanted to show that you were wrong was I provided evidence, I gave you examples of tactics the Tories, backed by the right wing press, have used in order to win elections and these tactics are based on fear. It's quite reasonable to use evidence in a debate, in fact it's pretty essential. So if Corbyn is indeed spreading fear to try to win votes it shouldn't be hard for you to provide some evidence of that. If you can't what it suggests to me is that actually you have no basis for your claim that Corbyn spreads fear. So the onus is on you to demonstrate to me that he does, using evidence. You were happy to produce 'evidence' that you can buy a house for under £100k the other day so I don't know why you've gone shy now.

And to imply I'm brainwashed is, frankly, ridiculous. I alternate between Green and Labour as a voter but am not a massive Corbyn fan overall, I like some of his values but in other areas he could have done better. I'm not a fan of his (lack of a) stance on Brexit at a time when it's unravelling and he has a chance to offer a genuine alternative. I also think at times he is too stubborn and this prevents him from making the Labour party genuinely more left whilst still being able to appeal to the centre. So you are way off base with your accusations (again). Resorting to personal attacks suggests to me that you don't really have an argument so you're trying to be dismissive of the opposite view to yours rather than making a positive case for your own viewpoint. Interestingly this is basically what the Tories tend to do.

Personal attacks?

The only personal attack is to point out that you reply to what You wanted to read opposed to what was written

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 10:23 - Jul 20 with 1780 viewsHerbivore

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 10:22 - Jul 20 by Bluefish

Personal attacks?

The only personal attack is to point out that you reply to what You wanted to read opposed to what was written

So still no evidence? Oh dear.

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 10:23 - Jul 20 with 1784 viewsTJS

I always think the term 'Tory' is a bit like 'q*eer' and 'tractorboy'.
They all began life as derogatory terms and although some people still use them as such they have largely been appropriated by the groups themselves.
To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 10:25 - Jul 20 with 1781 viewsBluefish

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 10:23 - Jul 20 by Herbivore

So still no evidence? Oh dear.

How dare you ask me for a carrot

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 10:27 - Jul 20 with 1770 viewsHerbivore

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 10:25 - Jul 20 by Bluefish

How dare you ask me for a carrot

What? Okay, you're using all the diversionary tactics you can because you don't have an argument, or at least you don't have an argument you can back up with any evidence. I'll leave it there.

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 10:33 - Jul 20 with 1763 viewsGlasgowBlue

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 10:19 - Jul 20 by Herbivore

So his stubbornness and pro Brexit stance worry you. The racism less so.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 10:33 - Jul 20 with 1763 viewsBluefish

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 10:27 - Jul 20 by Herbivore

What? Okay, you're using all the diversionary tactics you can because you don't have an argument, or at least you don't have an argument you can back up with any evidence. I'll leave it there.

Sorry i was following your lead of just ignoring what is written and getting angry about something else to suit an agenda

Imagine that now if i then got irate and demanded the carrot and taunted you about it. It would be a bit weird wouldn't it.......?

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 10:35 - Jul 20 with 1753 viewsjaykay

the trouble is cult was a word used by the tory press . to put fear into people. that word was never used about corbyn,till after the last election. so it worked as you use it all the time in your attack on corbyn. so you use it as a insult,"something you never do"

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 10:40 - Jul 20 with 1756 viewsDubtractor

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 08:16 - Jul 20 by GlasgowBlue

I think you will find it was the majority of people who voted in the referendum who brought us Brexit. Cameron and May wanted to remain.

The referendum was a Tory policy. Jezza also voted to give the public a referendum. Nick Clegg put forward the idea of a referendum even earlier than Dave.

The only major political party to put forward Brexit as a policy in a manifesto was Labour under Footbin 1983.

Come off it.

The Tories brought us the referendum and the Tories are making an absolute balls up if trying to deliver the result of it.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 10:40 - Jul 20 with 1752 viewsHerbivore

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 10:35 - Jul 20 by jaykay

the trouble is cult was a word used by the tory press . to put fear into people. that word was never used about corbyn,till after the last election. so it worked as you use it all the time in your attack on corbyn. so you use it as a insult,"something you never do"

Yep. It's both insulting and a further example of how the Tories and their media backers perpetuate fear for their own political ends.

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 10:41 - Jul 20 with 1749 viewsGlasgowBlue

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 10:40 - Jul 20 by Dubtractor

Come off it.

The Tories brought us the referendum and the Tories are making an absolute balls up if trying to deliver the result of it.

Yes. But you said that Brexit was a Tory policy which is completely different.

Iron Lion Zion

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 10:44 - Jul 20 with 1743 viewsBluefish

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 10:40 - Jul 20 by Dubtractor

Come off it.

Do you think Labour would have stop the rise of UKIP without a referendum? If so how?

Do You think Labour could deliver a smooth brexit? If so how?

The Tories are the party in charge of an impossible task. Labour should be destroying them but they have no clue either

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 10:50 - Jul 20 with 1735 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 07:12 - Jul 20 by Mullet

Otherwise known as having a Tory government you mean?

Maybe you think the British Empire should be supplying all your needs rent free?
To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 10:54 - Jul 20 with 1730 viewsGlasgowBlue

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 10:40 - Jul 20 by Herbivore

Yep. It's both insulting and a further example of how the Tories and their media backers perpetuate fear for their own political ends.

Tory press like the Guardian you mean?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/sep/30/labour-conference-more-lik

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/sep/29/jeremy-corbyn-labour-conference

But you are right. Definitely not a cult.

"Oh Jeremy Corbyn"

Iron Lion Zion

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 11:04 - Jul 20 with 1712 viewshype313

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 10:54 - Jul 20 by GlasgowBlue

Tory press like the Guardian you mean?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/sep/30/labour-conference-more-lik

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/sep/29/jeremy-corbyn-labour-conference

But you are right. Definitely not a cult.

"Oh Jeremy Corbyn"

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 11:11 - Jul 20 with 1701 viewsBluefish

To be called a ‘Tory’ or a ‘Conservative’ in 2018 on 11:04 - Jul 20 by hype313

I gave up he will argue regardless and demand evidence for random things.

I did like the fact that this thread is about how the left have made Tory an offensive word yet he decided calling them a cult was a disgrace and spreading fear. Apparently calling something a name to make it scary is not something that the cult have never done.

Evidence...evidence...EVIDENCE!!!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024