Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Hurst - Making his mark 08:27 - Jul 20 with 5410 viewsitfcjoe

I've been to all 3 pre season games at all the age levels this week (1st team v Crawley, U23s v Lowestoft and U18s v Sudbury) and it's really clear that Hurst has been getting his ideas over to each team - there have been huge similarities in all 3 games.

Back 4
Spence - Woolfenden - Chambers - Kenlock
Cotter - Marshall - Ndaba - Webber
Ronan - Henry - Vega - Clements

Full backs pushing on very high when we have the ball, acting as almost wingers when on the attack, Defensively being asked to defend 1 on 1 a lot and win battles. Ball to be passed out from the back

Defensive Midfield 1
Skuse
McGavin
Scott

Takes the ball of the back 4, and looks to begin play - key out ball is a diaganol to the full backs who are advanced and play begins from there. When we have the ball split the centre backs and drop into a back 3 so more ground is covered to ward of counter attacks.

Midfield 1
Dozzell
Crowe
El-Mizouni

More of a ball player, but a lot of responsibility to press as well. If Diagonal to full back isn't on then up to them to take ball of the deep lying player and try to create something and get playing. Recycling possession.

Attacking 3
Sears - Nydam - Ward
Folami - Lankester - Roberts
Foudil - Dobra - Hughes

Wide players have to cover a lot of ground and get up and down the pitch - stay very wide without the ball and try to take ball down the line on counters. When they have the full backs up supporting them seem to drift inside to try and get extra bodies int he middle whilst still linking up with the full back who is the one who tends to get the cross in. Central man presses the CBs and DMs hard, and gets beyond the striker often looking to score goals or get on the end of crosses in the box.

Striker 1
Waghorn
Drinan
Brown

A lot of back to goal play, and a lot of tireless running. Has to be able to break quickly and carry the ball, but also bring others into play when the game requires it. A position that a lot of half chances seem to fall to and needs to be a good finisher.

One of the main things I've noted though, is that the pressing is very high and very intense - all 3 games have seen us tail off in the second half as players seem to run out of puff.

We are playing more football, and getting more men forward than the previous manager - the midfielders are getting ahead of the striker and making late 3rd man runs which are hard to pick up. Dobra did this especially well last night.

I'm very impressed at how quickly the message seems to have been gotten across at all levels, and think the players have had a really physically tough pre season - the youths seem to be on similar fitness regimes to the first team which is very tough, but required.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Paul Hurst - Making his mark on 08:30 - Jul 20 with 5331 viewsKieran_Knows

Thanks for that Joe, all good to hear.

One interesting point I picked up ... 'and think the players have had a really physically tough pre season', and to think, as per one of the news stories the other day, if Hurst and the fitness staff had their way, then pre-season would be even tougher (Hurst mentioning if they pushed them anymore they would have 'broke' a few of them).

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Paul Hurst - Making his mark on 08:32 - Jul 20 with 5305 viewshampstead_blue

Thanks.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Paul Hurst - Making his mark on 08:51 - Jul 20 with 5179 viewsKTBlue

Thanks for that, very encouraging. I think re the players becoming tired, that should be less of an issue going forward as they get match fit, and also as they become more familiar with the system and know when to press and when not to.
Paul Hurst - Making his mark on 09:07 - Jul 20 with 5065 viewsFrimleyBlue

I mentioned the other day that a fellow chairs son had advised it's been 80% off the ball training sessions. Intense sessions. I suppose as the physio said a few weeks back, if the body gets used to it, it'll minimise injuries too.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Paul Hurst - Making his mark on 09:18 - Jul 20 with 4953 viewsBasuco

Cheers Joe, much of that has been missing from Town for many years and also we have seen it used against us quite a bit as well. Hopefully the hard training sessions are still being done when a pre-season game is scheduled so adding to fitness and the second half tiredness will not be so much of a problem when the season starts. I eagerly await he new season with growing anticipation, tempered with expecting it to take a month or two for the players to fully settle into the new playing style and formation.
Paul Hurst - Making his mark on 09:19 - Jul 20 with 4946 viewsStadiumofdark

That's just what I wanted to hear.

It's enough for me.... I've bought a ticket for Exeter away on the back of this! COYB
Paul Hurst - Making his mark on 09:29 - Jul 20 with 4863 viewsSWGF

Cheers Joe

If nothing else, our attacking three in the first match shows that we still need bodies in the first team squad (Sears - Nydam - Ward).

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Paul Hurst - Making his mark on 09:29 - Jul 20 with 4855 viewschicoazul

Good post Joe. It seems we will have a lot of players competing for basically two spots in midfield once everyone is fit, be interesting to see how Hurst handles the egos.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Login to get fewer ads

Paul Hurst - Making his mark on 09:31 - Jul 20 with 4844 viewsBasuco

Paul Hurst - Making his mark on 08:30 - Jul 20 by Kieran_Knows

Thanks for that Joe, all good to hear.

One interesting point I picked up ... 'and think the players have had a really physically tough pre season', and to think, as per one of the news stories the other day, if Hurst and the fitness staff had their way, then pre-season would be even tougher (Hurst mentioning if they pushed them anymore they would have 'broke' a few of them).

The fitness levels in football are very low in general and many think their skill on the ball is all that is required, this will not apply to a PH team, it takes three weeks for training to come through to effect so I would expect a much tougher summer fitness program will be set to enable the full PH pre-season training program to take place next year. I have seen many times on TV players at the highest level getting cramp during a game, why? Football has always been a 90 minute game, with the average time the ball is in play is 50 minutes, with the many rests when play is not in a players area, it cannot be that difficult to train for that level of running. But this is modern football where players are nowhere near as fit as players were in the past.
Paul Hurst - Making his mark on 09:33 - Jul 20 with 4817 viewsCuffy81

Thanks for this insight - its refreshing to see the same philosophy being employed through all the sides. Seeing midfielders in the opposition box will be a strange concept!

In particular in the one on ones in the full back position which cause immediate concern with the personal we currently have, both Spence and Kenlock tend to back off
Paul Hurst - Making his mark on 09:35 - Jul 20 with 4803 viewsTIB

Great stuff Joe. I’m loving the way Hurst has come in, implemented his ideas and in general, conducted himself.

In terms of the first team and youth fringe, is there any you think will struggle to play the Hurst way? I’ve mentioned it before but our RB position I’ve wanted to see some investment in for a while...I had high hopes for Iorfa but that wasn’t to be, leaving Spence, Emmanuel and Cotter. Do you think Spence can fit the criteria to get up and down the pitch?
[Post edited 20 Jul 2018 9:44]

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Paul Hurst - Making his mark on 09:40 - Jul 20 with 4774 viewsunstableblue

Great effort Joe.

As I said till I was blue in the face over 2 seasons... it wasn’t just budget and injuries causing Town to play so flat and turgid - it was a system and ethos issue.

It was draconian.

Hurst has more progressive thinking, and what I like is that yes it is pragmatic and defensive but can switch to energy and attack quickly.

2-3 more signings and holding on to Waghorn, and importantly a couple of wins to get buy in to the new system and we’ll be going in the right direction.

Do need the the momentum of early results though. No fan is not going to back Hurst even with a poor first 6 months... but a few early wins in say the first 4-6 games will give players confidence in the managers new ideas.

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

Paul Hurst - Making his mark on 09:54 - Jul 20 with 4636 viewsmonty_radio

Only the one game's evidence for this, but re 1 defensive midfielder - if that one has to shield and can then straightaway offload to a more attacking 3, then Skuse is your man. No-one better at that intercepting bit.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Paul Hurst - Making his mark on 10:07 - Jul 20 with 4560 viewsHerbivore

Paul Hurst - Making his mark on 09:31 - Jul 20 by Basuco

The fitness levels in football are very low in general and many think their skill on the ball is all that is required, this will not apply to a PH team, it takes three weeks for training to come through to effect so I would expect a much tougher summer fitness program will be set to enable the full PH pre-season training program to take place next year. I have seen many times on TV players at the highest level getting cramp during a game, why? Football has always been a 90 minute game, with the average time the ball is in play is 50 minutes, with the many rests when play is not in a players area, it cannot be that difficult to train for that level of running. But this is modern football where players are nowhere near as fit as players were in the past.

Wait, what? Players now aren't as fit as in the past?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Paul Hurst - Making his mark on 10:49 - Jul 20 with 4398 viewsKeaneish

Quality. Thanks for this. Great read. So glad we're getting back to talking about football again across this board. Great insights.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Paul Hurst - Making his mark on 14:02 - Jul 20 with 4081 viewsGuthrum

Paul Hurst - Making his mark on 09:31 - Jul 20 by Basuco

Having heard Russell Osman talking with Tyrone Mings on the very subject of your last phrase, that really wasn't the impression I got.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Paul Hurst - Making his mark on 14:14 - Jul 20 with 4027 viewstextbackup

And to think PH says we are still way off where he wants us to be!
The future is finally looking decent

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Paul Hurst - Making his mark on 16:10 - Jul 20 with 3819 viewsjeera

Paul Hurst - Making his mark on 10:07 - Jul 20 by Herbivore

Wait, what? Players now aren't as fit as in the past?

Lack of cigarettes does that.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Paul Hurst - Making his mark on 17:25 - Jul 20 with 3674 viewsDeano69

Nice work Joe.

So based on this, (i know its early doors) but what would your starting XI be?

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Paul Hurst - Making his mark on 13:09 - Jul 23 with 3251 viewsBeckets

Surely Hurst’s transfer dealings should be looked at in the context of Joe’s excellent analysis here. Harrison seems to have been bought for the Striker 1 role for instance. I assume that he has identified a number of players who don’t fit into this style of play eg Garner, Knudsen?
Paul Hurst - Making his mark on 13:32 - Jul 23 with 3164 viewsHennikerBlu

Thanks for taking time to share. Good to hear he likes the wide men to stay wide (and without the ball) and the improvement down the flanks, something that will massively improve attacking intent.
I LOVE Paul Hurst on 13:36 - Jul 23 with 3151 viewsunstableblue

Again great post.

I just love the fact that it is now abundantly clear how hard Paul is trying to fix our system, movement and energy issues. Issues that have plagued town and the any chance of entertainment at PR for some time.

I stated that it would maybe take 8 games* for him to bed in his new system and we should be patient on seeing the START of improvement, but I think it may even come sooner in terms of seeing a new system fully bedding in. I think Paul wants the transformation to be well underway come the first few games.

Good on you Paul. I expect nothing from this season but some marked progress in making us a team that plays football again and has a coherent system of play.

*Note: I had the misfortune of viewing TWTD whilst not logged in a saw a chief cretin replying to one of my posts, and stating I was going to slate Hurst if we weren't flying after 8 games. Fake News, fake preconceptions.

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024