Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Town after Tom Bradshaw & Ellis Harrison ... 10:31 - Jul 20 with 5185 viewsKieran_Knows

.... as Waghorn's replacements.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/tom-bradshaw-ellis-harriso

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Town after Tom Bradshaw & Ellis Harrison ... on 11:47 - Jul 20 with 1827 viewsJimmy86

Town after Tom Bradshaw & Ellis Harrison ... on 11:16 - Jul 20 by Guthrum

Perhaps it is the case (altho I can't quite see it myself) Waghorn is not quite the right sort of player for the system Hurst wants to use. So he is less concerned about seeing him go.

However, that would go against our manager's expressed preference for him staying.

Also not sure why Waghorn would especially want to leave Ipswich for Sheffield. It's a sideways move at best (not a Prem team). Not as if it's particularly close to Newcastle (still two and a half hours away). He's supposedly moved his family (including parents) down to Suffolk. Wife is heavily involved in the Elena Baltacha Foundation. Are they really able to offer such a marked increase in wages?

Posted as such on another thread. I get the impression this could well pan out the same as Bart. My money is on Waggy signing a new contract with us, instead of leaving
Town after Tom Bradshaw & Ellis Harrison ... on 11:54 - Jul 20 with 1803 viewsStokieBlue

Town after Tom Bradshaw & Ellis Harrison ... on 11:47 - Jul 20 by Jimmy86

Posted as such on another thread. I get the impression this could well pan out the same as Bart. My money is on Waggy signing a new contract with us, instead of leaving

If he's offered a 20k pay rise he'd be silly not to take it.

His stock is probably as high as it's ever going to be, it's all going to come down to what a club is willing to pay him rather than the fee.

Just needs to be sorted out one way or the other within the next few days.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Town after Tom Bradshaw & Ellis Harrison ... on 11:58 - Jul 20 with 1784 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Town after Tom Bradshaw & Ellis Harrison ... on 11:05 - Jul 20 by Herbivore

Problem is we're essentially selling Marcus Stewart, not Kieron Dyer. The equivalent would be more like us selling Dozzer for £20m after a blinder of a season and us being the club buying Waghorn from a rival for £7m. The football landscape has changed massively.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2018 11:10]

next yr
Town after Tom Bradshaw & Ellis Harrison ... on 12:00 - Jul 20 with 1764 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Town after Tom Bradshaw & Ellis Harrison ... on 11:31 - Jul 20 by TIB

£1m for him...there abouts the same for Harrison...and that still leaves a couple of a million if Waggy was to go for £7m and Evans takes a bit for the books...would probably see us put a better offer in for Tilt. Waggy proved himself last year and is a great character but for the right money selling him, it could benefit other areas of the squad massively.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2018 11:32]

still need another defender and striker
Town after Tom Bradshaw & Ellis Harrison ... on 12:04 - Jul 20 with 1744 viewschicoazul

I for one can't see any problems with us offloading experienced solid proven Championship-level players and replacing them with young lower league players. None at all.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

I'll take the down votes, but..... on 12:08 - Jul 20 with 1735 viewsBloots

Town after Tom Bradshaw & Ellis Harrison ... on 12:04 - Jul 20 by chicoazul

I for one can't see any problems with us offloading experienced solid proven Championship-level players and replacing them with young lower league players. None at all.

....you do begin to wonder if Mr Hurst realises what league he is managing in now?

He does know that the 3rd Division isn't the top flight of English football, doesn't he?

"Oi Hursty!! There's two leagues above where you are looking mate!"

Maybe he's just too short to see that high.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2018 12:10]

TWTD Leadership Group: Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Anti-Bullying Crusader

Town after Tom Bradshaw & Ellis Harrison ... on 12:15 - Jul 20 with 1707 viewsGuthrum

Town after Tom Bradshaw & Ellis Harrison ... on 11:54 - Jul 20 by StokieBlue

If he's offered a 20k pay rise he'd be silly not to take it.

His stock is probably as high as it's ever going to be, it's all going to come down to what a club is willing to pay him rather than the fee.

Just needs to be sorted out one way or the other within the next few days.

SB

The problem with that is it assumes he's never going to have another season as good as the last one.

There are reasons why I think that may not be the case.

1) Despite scoring 16 goals and providing 11 assists, there was still a barren period in the middle of the season. This I think was largely down to the way the team was (not) functioning at the time. Provide Waghorn with good service all season and see how many he scores.

2) If we are aiming to play a system which gets more players into the box, that will help Waghorn. When the ball was going long into the channel for him to chase, that still broke down as too often there was nobody to help out when he did get hold of it.

3) Unlike Murphy, who was 32 in 2015, Waghorn is still at his peak in terms of energy and bodily strength. Barring injury, his performances are unlikely to drop off soon.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I'll take the down votes, but..... on 12:15 - Jul 20 with 1705 viewschicoazul

I'll take the down votes, but..... on 12:08 - Jul 20 by Bloots

....you do begin to wonder if Mr Hurst realises what league he is managing in now?

He does know that the 3rd Division isn't the top flight of English football, doesn't he?

Let's hope you and I and our fellow misanthropes are proven wrong either by the players we end up getting, or where we get them from!

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Login to get fewer ads

Town after Tom Bradshaw & Ellis Harrison ... on 12:26 - Jul 20 with 1667 viewsBluebell

With the figures being bandied around for Waggy, other teams are going to think Ipswich are 'quids in' and start asking higher prices for average players which ME won't pay..

I am clutching at straws as I want Waggy to stay at least for another season. We won't match his scoring and assist ability with a league 1 or 2 player although I am happy to be proved wrong.
Town after Tom Bradshaw & Ellis Harrison ... on 12:37 - Jul 20 with 1644 viewsBent_double

Town after Tom Bradshaw & Ellis Harrison ... on 11:25 - Jul 20 by crazyblue68

This is it. Waghorn moved his whole family down here, including parents. They love the area, his misses by all accounts doesnt want to leave, she is very involved in things down here. Why would he want to go ?. The two replacements the Mirror mention, would both cost well over a million each, and l dont think Evans has any intention of spending that sort of money.
We desperately need central defenders, nothing is forthcoming there. We just seem to be in total disarray, no direction, no decent signings, just a few lower league gambles.

"We just seem to be in total disarray, no direction, no decent signings, just a few lower league gambles. "

Jeeeezus, this sort of comment amazes me. We have a new management team in for the first time in almost 6 years. They know the type of player they want to keep from the current squad, the type of player they want to bring in, and the ones they are happy to let go.

How is that "total disarray and directionless" exactly?

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Town after Tom Bradshaw & Ellis Harrison ... on 12:53 - Jul 20 with 1609 viewsOsborneOneNil

Town after Tom Bradshaw & Ellis Harrison ... on 12:37 - Jul 20 by Bent_double

"We just seem to be in total disarray, no direction, no decent signings, just a few lower league gambles. "

Jeeeezus, this sort of comment amazes me. We have a new management team in for the first time in almost 6 years. They know the type of player they want to keep from the current squad, the type of player they want to bring in, and the ones they are happy to let go.

How is that "total disarray and directionless" exactly?

Yeah exactly! All a bit melodramatic me thinks!
Town after Tom Bradshaw & Ellis Harrison ... on 13:17 - Jul 20 with 1569 viewsitfcjoe

Town after Tom Bradshaw & Ellis Harrison ... on 11:16 - Jul 20 by Guthrum

Perhaps it is the case (altho I can't quite see it myself) Waghorn is not quite the right sort of player for the system Hurst wants to use. So he is less concerned about seeing him go.

However, that would go against our manager's expressed preference for him staying.

Also not sure why Waghorn would especially want to leave Ipswich for Sheffield. It's a sideways move at best (not a Prem team). Not as if it's particularly close to Newcastle (still two and a half hours away). He's supposedly moved his family (including parents) down to Suffolk. Wife is heavily involved in the Elena Baltacha Foundation. Are they really able to offer such a marked increase in wages?

It will be a load more money, he signed here as a £200k striker whereas he'll sign somewhere else (if he goes) as an £8m striker - just means wages are going to be much more.

If he didn't at least double his money I'd be amazed - and think it's more likely he would triple it

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I'll take the down votes, but..... on 13:23 - Jul 20 with 1548 viewsitfcjoe

I'll take the down votes, but..... on 12:08 - Jul 20 by Bloots

He's brought players up from Non League to league 1, but the jump in two divisions is nothing like League 2 the the Championship. We could end up with a team of good League 1 players - but in League 1
[Post edited 20 Jul 2018 13:24]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Town after Tom Bradshaw & Ellis Harrison ... on 13:59 - Jul 20 with 1485 viewsGuthrum

Town after Tom Bradshaw & Ellis Harrison ... on 13:17 - Jul 20 by itfcjoe

It will be a load more money, he signed here as a £200k striker whereas he'll sign somewhere else (if he goes) as an £8m striker - just means wages are going to be much more.

If he didn't at least double his money I'd be amazed - and think it's more likely he would triple it

Maybe. Altho he did sign from Rangers, not a low-paying club themselves.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024