Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Standing Desks 11:38 - Jul 20 with 2383 viewshype313

Got myself a standing desk and have been using it all week, have to say it has helped with my lower back pain to a degree, anyone else doing this, is their any scientific evidence to say its better than being sedentary at your desk, or is it just a fad?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Standing Desks on 11:41 - Jul 20 with 2358 viewsfooters

"Sitting is the new smoking." Or so I was told by one batty old lady I used to work with. She tried to foist this on us company-wide, along with hot desking and other modern corporate b0llocks, to which I refused.

Horses for courses. If it works for you, great; just don't try to impose it on anyone else.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Standing Desks on 11:41 - Jul 20 with 2362 viewsSteve_M

Moving is definitely better than being sedentary all day. I suspect standing at a desk all day is equally tiring though and starts to put strain on the back.

The best solution is to do whatever feels comfortable but move around, stretch and change posture regularly. And make sure that the desk is properly set up.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Standing Desks on 11:43 - Jul 20 with 2349 viewshype313

Standing Desks on 11:41 - Jul 20 by footers

"Sitting is the new smoking." Or so I was told by one batty old lady I used to work with. She tried to foist this on us company-wide, along with hot desking and other modern corporate b0llocks, to which I refused.

Horses for courses. If it works for you, great; just don't try to impose it on anyone else.

Yes I read that sitting down for 8 hours a day having slept all night is like smoking 20 fags and eating a burgers everyday.

Standing Desks on 11:44 - Jul 20 with 2342 viewshype313

Standing Desks on 11:41 - Jul 20 by Steve_M

Moving is definitely better than being sedentary all day. I suspect standing at a desk all day is equally tiring though and starts to put strain on the back.

The best solution is to do whatever feels comfortable but move around, stretch and change posture regularly. And make sure that the desk is properly set up.

I have it t a height which means it's at my chest so my posture means I stand up straight. Going ok so far, If it means I'm not sat for hours at a time then suppose it might be worthwhile.

Standing Desks on 11:44 - Jul 20 with 2333 viewsfooters

Standing Desks on 11:43 - Jul 20 by hype313

Yes I read that sitting down for 8 hours a day having slept all night is like smoking 20 fags and eating a burgers everyday.

I do all those things. Maybe not a burger every day, mind you. My life will be shorter but I'll be a lot more comfortable while it lasts.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Standing Desks on 11:45 - Jul 20 with 2332 viewsblue62

They work well, had them in the office for the past couple of years and everyone likes them. Some stand up all day, some still sit.

Got the ones from IKEA, £400 a desk and have worked ok.
Standing Desks on 11:46 - Jul 20 with 2317 viewshype313

Standing Desks on 11:44 - Jul 20 by footers

I do all those things. Maybe not a burger every day, mind you. My life will be shorter but I'll be a lot more comfortable while it lasts.

So in conclusion you're on about 40 a day then

Standing Desks on 12:08 - Jul 20 with 2261 viewsPinewoodblue

Standing Desks on 11:45 - Jul 20 by blue62

They work well, had them in the office for the past couple of years and everyone likes them. Some stand up all day, some still sit.

Got the ones from IKEA, £400 a desk and have worked ok.

We offered these as an alternative.
https://www.backinaction.co.uk/kneeling

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Login to get fewer ads

Standing Desks on 12:11 - Jul 20 with 2248 viewsRob88

Yeah where I work is big on it. There must be some rhyme or reason to it and I can see some logic. I don’t think sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day with poor posture is any good for you.
Standing Desks on 12:12 - Jul 20 with 2247 viewsvapour_trail

Standing Desks on 11:43 - Jul 20 by hype313

My first job in an office, I had an ashtray on my desk so was combining the two.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Standing Desks on 12:14 - Jul 20 with 2230 viewsHerbivore

I'm sure they are good for you, the main issue is they make you look like a bit of a knob. Maybe that will change if they become more common.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Standing Desks on 12:14 - Jul 20 with 2231 viewshype313

Standing Desks on 12:12 - Jul 20 by vapour_trail

My first job in an office, I had an ashtray on my desk so was combining the two.

What, putting a burger in an ashtray

Standing Desks on 12:45 - Jul 20 with 2160 viewsconnorscontract

Standing Desks on 12:14 - Jul 20 by hype313

Fag underneath in the ashtray, bit of wire gauze across the top, plonk on your burger: low and slow, smokehouse style. All the hipsters will be doing it by next Spring.
Standing Desks on 12:48 - Jul 20 with 2148 viewsPendejo

Yes I did it until someone nicked the handle to wide the [shared] desk up and down, and yes you feel like a right knob when doing it. Healthier though than sitting.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Standing Desks on 12:57 - Jul 20 with 2112 viewsvapour_trail

Standing Desks on 12:14 - Jul 20 by hype313

Even when a fully committed smoker, eating and smoking at the same time was always a no no.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Standing Desks on 13:14 - Jul 20 with 2076 viewsblue62

Standing Desks on 12:14 - Jul 20 by Herbivore

I'm sure they are good for you, the main issue is they make you look like a bit of a knob. Maybe that will change if they become more common.

if you are sitting while everyone else is standing you will be staring at a load of knobs!
Standing Desks on 13:15 - Jul 20 with 2074 viewshype313

Standing Desks on 12:14 - Jul 20 by Herbivore

Luckily, I work from home, so don't have to worry about that.

Standing Desks on 13:16 - Jul 20 with 2063 viewsHerbivore

Standing Desks on 13:15 - Jul 20 by hype313

Luckily, I work from home, so don't have to worry about that.

Then crack on I say.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Standing Desks on 14:36 - Jul 20 with 1975 viewsGeoffSentence

A quick google suggests that, at best, the benefits of stand up desks have been oversold. Which is good news for me as I don't like standing for work, though I do enjoy a good long walk at lunchtime, which along with regularly sauntering about doing nothing but stretching my legs should be better than just standing.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Standing Desks on 16:31 - Jul 20 with 1875 viewsMeadowlark

Not at work any more, but for the last couple of years of my time in "the office" I got one. I thought it was great. I spent all day (8 hours) standing except for a half hour lunch break or if anyone came in to see me. No more back-pain, better posture (probably) and generally felt better. Another bonus was when I was at trade-shows and everyone else was complaining about sore feet and painful backs at the end of a long day manning the booth, I suffered from neither.
Thoroughly recommended.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024