Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bristol Rovers’ Supporters Thoughts on Ellis Harrison… 22:19 - Jul 25 with 4027 viewsHarryfromBath

I thought it might be helpful to piece together the views of the Pirates on our new striker, whose arrival was confirmed on Monday. The Newport-born man and Wales U21 international came up through the Rovers youth system and made his debut for the club in 2011.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“This is a bit of a shock. I thank him, wish him well and hope he's earning a decent pay increase”, “He has improved hugely over the last 18 months and was a very important player for us last season. He will take some replacing”, “It’s a good time for him to try and kick on at a higher level”, “Good luck Ellis, you have done us proud and deserve your chance. We are poorer and weaker without you.”

The was a genuine outpouring of affection when news of his transfer broke. Harrison has been with the club through it’s odyssey down to the National League and back up to League One. He secured his place in Pirates’ folklore for his equalizing goal in the Wembley Play-Off final against Grimsby.

“Without that Wembley goal we could still be stuck in non-league. Who knows. At times you carried the team on your shoulders last season and showed us signs of the player you could be. I suspect there is better to come. You can walk out the club with your chest out and your head held high.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I have been his biggest critic, simply because I knew he had all the talent, but he didn't show it enough. Last season he was brilliant though and he is going to be hard to replace”, “His development has been in fits and starts. However, he did develop into an integral member of our squad.”

Harrison has taken time to blossom. “One of the most frustrating players we've had for a long while if I'm honest. You always knew he had it in him but he was too inconsistent and didn't help himself at times. It was brilliant to see him finally show his potential last season and IMO he was our POTS.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Ellis brought goals and assists last season whilst playing upfront in his own as well as his high work rate and decent defending at set pieces”, “He works hard chasing the ball down and causing issues for the opposition”, “Pace, power, good in the air and on the ground and an improving finisher.”

“I will never forget the way he could strike terror into the opposition defence by sprinting at them from halfway across the field only to leap in front of them and win the ball with his head. He has become more confident in his own strength and physical presence, learning to use his pace better.”

Harrison has been singled out for praise for his industry, athleticism and ability to contribute at both ends of the pitch. The feeling is that his ability as a finisher has only started to come to the fore as he has grown in athleticism and experience, and he could really push on in the next few years.

“His work-rate last season was top notch and his goals were just starting to match his ability as a player”, “He is still very raw in my eyes. Pretty good defensively and has scored some fantastic goals in his career with us. His final ball can lack quality but has improved as each season has passed.”

“Good luck Ellis, I hope it works out for you. thanks for the magic, not forgetting your sterling work in defence”, “We will miss his work-rate and helping out defending”, “He cleared many set pieces from our penalty area, a great many more than our central defenders often managed to clear.”

“We’ll miss Ellis for his all-round contribution although he not yet a natural finisher”, “The one player we looked for that bit of magic from. I still remember ‘that’ debut goal when he cut in from the left and from corner of the box he hit a belter into far top corner, the joy on his young face!”

“His hold up play improved greatly and he developed a much keener eye for scoring opportunities. He isn't the finished article yet but he is progressing towards that”, “He was very good super sub, stretching oppositions defences late in games and even scoring a fair few goals too off the bench.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Anyone who has had the pleasure of meeting Ellis Harrison will tell you what a kind, caring and genuine person he is. A far cry from the stereotypical modern-day footballer. It’s easy to forget that this lad is still just 24. I hope he goes on to fulfil his potential”, “Absolutely brilliant with young fans.”

“A massive part of a very positive dressing room.” Pirates were quick to praise his contribution away from the pitch in the dressing room and with supporters.

“A couple of years ago at one of the open days, me and my kids were standing in line to get player autographs, absolutely scorching hot, my daughter was moaning that she was thirsty but she didn’t want to leave the queue. Harrison clocks what’s going on and pulled her out of the queue, gave her his drink and got all the lads to sign her autograph book!! She still tells her friends about it now.”

“A massive part of a very positive dressing room”, “A lovely lad, a bit "daft" but he’s a real cog in the great team spirit we've got here and he will be missed”, “Your next dressing room will become a happier place because of your infectious spirit. Don't let them coach all the fun out of your game.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Go bag four at the gate please son!”, “The best accolade I can give you is that I have enjoyed watching you play. All your goals, hard work, determined defence work, chasing lost causes and being a great lad will stand you in good stead for wherever you end up.”

One thing which can be guaranteed is that his progress will be keenly followed. “He has been there from the roller coaster journey from League Two to the Conference to League Two and to League One and he feels like a part of the family to me.”

“I love the lad, one of the nicest guys we’ve had play for the club and he thoroughly deserves his opportunity to show what he’s got in the Championship. I hope he emulates Marcus Stewart and goes on to shine for the Tractor Boys. Good luck Ellis.”

[Post edited 26 Jul 2018 0:41]

That's a fair pile of assumptions you've jumped to there.....
Poll: Who Do You Think Will Win The Championship Play-offs?
Blog: How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure

Bristol Rovers’ Supporters Thoughts on Ellis Harrison… on 22:30 - Jul 25 with 3805 viewsScottCandage

Anyone else get (good) chills reading the Marcus Stewart line? I got a feeling...
Bristol Rovers’ Supporters Thoughts on Ellis Harrison… on 22:42 - Jul 25 with 3663 viewsOsborneOneNil

Precisely the type of signing I get a real buzz from. Let’s hope we make another 3 or 4 of similar promise/quality.
Bristol Rovers’ Supporters Thoughts on Ellis Harrison… on 22:51 - Jul 25 with 3551 viewsBLUEBEAT

Coming to ITFC as an unknown (from my perspective) and after witnessing his promising debut last night, these words from fans who have known him for years genuinely excites me.

Poll: W or W

Bristol Rovers’ Supporters Thoughts on Ellis Harrison… on 23:12 - Jul 25 with 3344 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Bristol Rovers’ Supporters Thoughts on Ellis Harrison… on 22:30 - Jul 25 by ScottCandage

Anyone else get (good) chills reading the Marcus Stewart line? I got a feeling...

I do too.

I was dreaming of him and Waggy playing together. Imagine that energy and workrate together.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Bristol Rovers’ Supporters Thoughts on Ellis Harrison… on 23:17 - Jul 25 with 3306 viewsSomethingBlue

Thanks Harry. He looked a breath of fresh air last night and I sense he will be integral to how Hurst wants us to play. Got a good feeling about him.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Bristol Rovers’ Supporters Thoughts on Ellis Harrison… on 07:39 - Jul 26 with 2611 viewsDBaldy

Great stuff as always Harry, thanks.
Bristol Rovers’ Assistant Manager's Thoughts on Ellis Harrison… on 08:40 - Jul 26 with 2370 viewsBlueBoots

Bristol Rovers’ Supporters Thoughts on Ellis Harrison… on 22:30 - Jul 25 by ScottCandage

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/harrison-can-be-a-town-hit-says-stewart-1-5623519

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Bristol Rovers’ Supporters Thoughts on Ellis Harrison… on 09:10 - Jul 26 with 2295 viewsbraveblue

Very promising. So much better than an aging free transfer.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024