Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"It's harder to attract players over to Suffolk" 18:12 - Aug 1 with 5883 viewsWacko

🤔

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

"It's harder to attract players over to Suffolk" on 18:14 - Aug 1 with 4631 viewshype313

To be fair, if we can't attract people from Accrington, Blackpool and Shrewsbury then we are bang in trouble.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

"It's harder to attract players over to Suffolk" on 18:19 - Aug 1 with 4592 viewsWacko

"It's harder to attract players over to Suffolk" on 18:14 - Aug 1 by hype313

To be fair, if we can't attract people from Accrington, Blackpool and Shrewsbury then we are bang in trouble.

Very true. So as expected it was nothing to do with geography and all to do with strategy

"It's harder to attract players over to Suffolk" on 18:19 - Aug 1 with 4580 viewsIllinoisblue

"It's harder to attract players over to Suffolk" on 18:19 - Aug 1 by Wacko

Very true. So as expected it was nothing to do with geography and all to do with strategy

I always laughed at Mick making out Suffolk was miles from civilisation. Ipswich is an hour from London ffs.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

"It's harder to attract players over to Suffolk" on 18:39 - Aug 1 with 4494 viewsMach_foreignBlue

There was a problem though

http://www.greenun24.co.uk/ipswich-town/jewell-admits-geography-is-a-problem-in-
(No subject) on 18:58 - Aug 1 with 4406 viewsfloridablue

"It's harder to attract players over to Suffolk" on 18:39 - Aug 1 by Mach_foreignBlue

http://www.greenun24.co.uk/ipswich-town/jewell-admits-geography-is-a-problem-in-

Probably all scared away by the 'abuse' Mick endured at the end of last season!
"It's harder to attract players over to Suffolk" on 19:00 - Aug 1 with 4388 viewsWacko

"It's harder to attract players over to Suffolk" on 18:39 - Aug 1 by Mach_foreignBlue

I can see why loan players would find it hard - living out of a suitcase and not so easy to pop home. But that's why loan players are lousy short-term solutions

"It's harder to attract players over to Suffolk" on 19:06 - Aug 1 with 4369 viewsolimar

International footballers will happily move to Huddersfield or Middlesbrough when they are in the premier league and paying them huge money.
(No subject) on 19:22 - Aug 1 with 4296 viewsHennikerBlu

I tend to have the view that since the late '90's early 2000's it has got tougher, a lot of good/top players are not from the UK and to be close to players and families of the same nationality is important. Frankly, much of East Anglia does not have the nightlife of the London area or Manchester/Liverpool. Huddersfield/Leeds/Sheffield are not far from each other either for the those seeking other singleton pursuits.

Having spent time out in most of those places, there is a lot on offer, Huddersfield is a bit bleak, but a nice area, though they have the lowest value squad in the Prem. A look up North/Midlands on a map shows there are quite a few clusters of footballing towns, which must aid recruitment and movement for players, I think Nodge have it even worse out in the marshes.
Login to get fewer ads

"It's harder to attract players over to Suffolk" on 19:34 - Aug 1 with 4174 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

"It's harder to attract players over to Suffolk" on 19:06 - Aug 1 by olimar

International footballers will happily move to Huddersfield or Middlesbrough when they are in the premier league and paying them huge money.

I doubt any footballers live in Middlesbrough!!

Yarm maybe.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

"It's harder to attract players over to Suffolk" on 20:15 - Aug 1 with 4060 viewsjas0999

"It's harder to attract players over to Suffolk" on 18:14 - Aug 1 by hype313

... so why wasn’t MM looking at these type of players? Rather than overpriced frees and loans?
(No subject) on 20:27 - Aug 1 with 4028 viewsPhilTWTD

(No subject) on 19:22 - Aug 1 by HennikerBlu

I tend to have the view that since the late '90's early 2000's it has got tougher, a lot of good/top players are not from the UK and to be close to players and families of the same nationality is important. Frankly, much of East Anglia does not have the nightlife of the London area or Manchester/Liverpool. Huddersfield/Leeds/Sheffield are not far from each other either for the those seeking other singleton pursuits.

Having spent time out in most of those places, there is a lot on offer, Huddersfield is a bit bleak, but a nice area, though they have the lowest value squad in the Prem. A look up North/Midlands on a map shows there are quite a few clusters of footballing towns, which must aid recruitment and movement for players, I think Nodge have it even worse out in the marshes.

Think the 'hard to get players to come to Suffolk' comment was originally made by Jim and he was referring to loan players. Andy Carroll for example pulled out of coming here when he found out how far it was from Newcastle. Other subsequent managers have certainly found the same in some instances.
(No subject) on 20:29 - Aug 1 with 3997 viewsartsbossbeard

(No subject) on 20:27 - Aug 1 by PhilTWTD

Think the 'hard to get players to come to Suffolk' comment was originally made by Jim and he was referring to loan players. Andy Carroll for example pulled out of coming here when he found out how far it was from Newcastle. Other subsequent managers have certainly found the same in some instances.

Shut the fridge door!!!

Andy Carroll? Wowzers.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

"It's harder to attract players over to Suffolk" on 20:30 - Aug 1 with 3983 viewsolimar

"It's harder to attract players over to Suffolk" on 19:34 - Aug 1 by Marshalls_Mullet

I doubt any footballers live in Middlesbrough!!

Yarm maybe.

Yeah, in fairness, I remember when Southgate was manager, they adjusted the minimum distance you could live from the training ground so that it covered Harrogate.
(No subject) on 20:33 - Aug 1 with 3972 viewsolimar

I remember a really good interview with Damien Delaney where he also acknowledged that its a tough sell to relocate to Suffolk, but once youre there you dont want to leave.

I think Magilton said the same previously (or someone else).
Its probably a better fit for the older players to settle with families, than the young uns.
(No subject) on 20:38 - Aug 1 with 3944 viewsartsbossbeard

(No subject) on 20:33 - Aug 1 by olimar

I remember a really good interview with Damien Delaney where he also acknowledged that its a tough sell to relocate to Suffolk, but once youre there you dont want to leave.

I think Magilton said the same previously (or someone else).
Its probably a better fit for the older players to settle with families, than the young uns.

I'm good mates with Allan Hunters' son and Big Al is still in the area. Bryan Hamilton still lives locally, The Beat, Brazil, Warky.

I make Damien spot on.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

(No subject) on 20:47 - Aug 1 with 3888 viewsGuthrum

(No subject) on 20:29 - Aug 1 by artsbossbeard

Shut the fridge door!!!

Andy Carroll? Wowzers.

That was pretty much my reaction. Don't remember that at all (if and when it ever became public).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

(No subject) on 21:08 - Aug 1 with 3815 viewstextbackup

‘When he found out how far it was’

By the age of 10 I knew how far ipswich from Newcastle was, wouldn’t have taken a few days negotiations as an 18/19 year old.

What a plank

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

"It's harder to attract players over to Suffolk" on 23:44 - Aug 1 with 3583 viewsArnieM

Geography never bothered SBR.... he even sold it to the Dutch maestros !

Jewell, Keane, McCarthy are all second rate has beens trying to justify their managerial inadequacies. The tossars

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

"It's harder to attract players over to Suffolk" on 06:08 - Aug 2 with 3371 viewsconnorscontract

"It's harder to attract players over to Suffolk" on 23:44 - Aug 1 by ArnieM

Geography never bothered SBR.... he even sold it to the Dutch maestros !

Jewell, Keane, McCarthy are all second rate has beens trying to justify their managerial inadequacies. The tossars

That was in the days before easyJet- Harwich ferry would have been a selling point!
"It's harder to attract players over to Suffolk" on 07:34 - Aug 2 with 3223 viewsOsborneOneNil

"It's harder to attract players over to Suffolk" on 20:15 - Aug 1 by jas0999

... so why wasn’t MM looking at these type of players? Rather than overpriced frees and loans?

Risk v reward. Safety first. Don’t lose at all costs.
(No subject) on 08:00 - Aug 2 with 3137 viewsRadlett_blue

(No subject) on 20:29 - Aug 1 by artsbossbeard

Shut the fridge door!!!

Andy Carroll? Wowzers.

I presume Carroll took a good look at our treatment room before saying "no thanks".

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

"It's harder to attract players over to Suffolk" on 08:08 - Aug 2 with 3109 viewsPrideOfTheEast

"It's harder to attract players over to Suffolk" on 18:19 - Aug 1 by Illinoisblue

I always laughed at Mick making out Suffolk was miles from civilisation. Ipswich is an hour from London ffs.

It’s not though is it.

A very real issue and the point is not whether we can attract players to the area ahead of a Shrewsbury or Blackpool but a mid 20s player might prefer to play in a major town or city. Plenty of examples of young loanees not being overly keen.
"It's harder to attract players over to Suffolk" on 08:16 - Aug 2 with 3081 viewsPositivelyPortman

"It's harder to attract players over to Suffolk" on 08:08 - Aug 2 by PrideOfTheEast

It’s not though is it.

A very real issue and the point is not whether we can attract players to the area ahead of a Shrewsbury or Blackpool but a mid 20s player might prefer to play in a major town or city. Plenty of examples of young loanees not being overly keen.

Yes it is.
I regularly travelled from Leytonstone to Ipswich in less than an hour.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

"It's harder to attract players over to Suffolk" on 08:31 - Aug 2 with 3034 viewsPrideOfTheEast

"It's harder to attract players over to Suffolk" on 08:16 - Aug 2 by PositivelyPortman

Yes it is.
I regularly travelled from Leytonstone to Ipswich in less than an hour.

Generally, it’s not. From where a footballer might choose to live in london (probanly not Leytonstone) to Ipswich is well over an hour.

The point is rather, why choose to live an hour or more away from a city when you can live in one if you’re a young footballer, used to that and attracted to big cities. Some players love Suffolk others would prefer to live where there’s more going on.
"It's harder to attract players over to Suffolk" on 08:57 - Aug 2 with 2970 viewsMugwump

"It's harder to attract players over to Suffolk" on 08:31 - Aug 2 by PrideOfTheEast

Generally, it’s not. From where a footballer might choose to live in london (probanly not Leytonstone) to Ipswich is well over an hour.

The point is rather, why choose to live an hour or more away from a city when you can live in one if you’re a young footballer, used to that and attracted to big cities. Some players love Suffolk others would prefer to live where there’s more going on.

I think it's pretty simple.

Player from Accrington Stanley, Bristol Rovers, Shrewsbury or the like would love to come here, as would an older pro who is winding down.

But a hot shot youngster? No way. He will want to go to a big city where he will be adored and get loads of girls.

I wasn't around for our glory days and I only know a bit about it because I support Ipswich and have chatted to family and friends. A young footballer wouldn't have a clue and certainly wouldn't associate ITFC with glory. And Carroll by all accounts didn't even know where Ipswich was.

Top young footballers are generally not the brightest sparks and they have been pampered all their life. By and large they want to go to a big city with lots of birds and attention.

I dread to think what some newly signed youngsters must think when they have their first night out in town, I imagine it's like driving miles for a family holiday as a kid and ending up in Felixstowe.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024