Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So many signs of encouragement today... 20:45 - Aug 4 with 770 viewsLuk38644

I don't really get why people thought we'd be playing to our top level in the first game of the season? It was a fairly average performance with large spells where we didn't build up through the midfield but there were so many encouraging signs that we can, and will, build on, add to with new signings and the players will improve through consistency.

Bart looked a bit shaky at times, distribution wasn't great, but he's had 3 phenomenal seasons, I think we can let him have the odd game to get him up to speed again. It will also help him greatly when the back four is sorted and settled. I think Chambo and Knudsen will be regulars, Jonas had a decent game today, and like everyone else, they'll both improve in this system as time goes on. We've gone from quick, direct balls into the channels to our defenders being composed on the ball. It will take time. Donacien isn't a CB and should be seen as a RB. His positioning was poor for the 2nd goal but he redeemed himself with his RB performance which I thought was better than I've seen from Spence in a while. Hopefully we get Nsala and Tilt sorted next week, get that competition for places at the back and get some natural CB's in there. Woolfenden looked OK as he came on but he won't manage a whole season of course, so Tilt/Nsala need to happen really.

The midfield worried me pre-kick off if I'm honest. I'm not moaning, it's Hurst's first game and he'll want to see what his midfielders offer in a competitive enviroment, but I don't think Chalobah, Skuse and Downes are the way to go. Skuse and Downes playing as box-to-box midfielders didn't work. We struggled to keep the ball at times, nothing really built up through the middle and we were crying out for a creative midfielder playing in behind Harrison who would also make runs into the box. For me, Chalobah was tidy and very impressive for a player who's never played a league game before. He was strong, intelligent and good with the ball at his feet, but his passing and decision making will need to improve, but of course it will over time. My mate next to me said he plays like Magilton, something I've said we've missed for years and years. For me, Skuse and Chalobah are the holding midfield options and the rest of the CM's are fighting for the two other positions. I'd rather see Nolan, Dozzell, Bish, Huws or Nydam in those positions as they offer more going forward and are good in possession in and around the final third. Get two of those in front of Chalobah and that's a tasty midfield.

Sears isn't a winger. We've known that for a while but we need a left midfielder not just for attacks but for balance. After the 5th minute, every single attack that threatened Blackburn was coming through Edwards. Sears is a striker who needs to play in a two. Edwards on the other hand looked very classy. Good touch, pace, tricks, wants to beat the full-back everytime, decent end-product and he can defend too! Several times he tracked back and scrapped for the ball. He's like a more technical Paul Anderson. He looks a right gem and I haven't seen a winger like him in a Town shirt since Fraser who just stays wide, stretches play and runs at full-backs. Rightfully MOTM.

Harrison worked hard but had no service really. He'll get in good positions but several times he was the man crossing the ball rather than getting on the end of it, and I think he needs someone behind him in central midfield who is more creative, someone like Nolan or Dozzell. He held the ball up well, looks strong and fast and will be a handful in this league no doubt about it. Morris looked decent too, it probably helps he was playing in a two when he came on, but his drive and ball roll for his shot were the signs of a youngster confident in his ability in the box. There is a player there. Edun also looked lively when he came on at left midfield, he got himself involved and tried to get things moving, but his goal was complete luck... oh well, they all count! Well done Edun!

All in all, the performance was average, at times scrappy, but the signs are there. We've just had 5 years of one style of play, so we aren't going to be a finished article on the first game of a new managers tenure, but you could see we had more patience, tried to play slightly more and that wingers are very important once again. For me, get Nolan, Tilt, Nsala and probably another left winger and we'll be fine. Nolan is what we needed in midfield today, or Huws. Or Bishop. or Dozzell. or Nydam. We have options but it will happen in time. Chalobah oozes class and adding Tilt/Nsala to our backline will help strengthen us. I'm just glad it's back.
So many signs of encouragement today... on 20:53 - Aug 4 with 724 viewshomer_123

I said earlier this week that patience is required but that doesn't mean we can't discuss the ins and outs of the match within and outside of context.

We are going to need a while to gel and really see what Hurst wants.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024