Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Slightly surprised to see the midfield 3 were all holding CM’s yesterday 10:21 - Aug 5 with 3905 viewsOsborneOneNil

How were they set up, who pushed on?

Was Skuse any better?
Slightly surprised to see the midfield 3 were all holding CM’s yesterday on 10:24 - Aug 5 with 2978 viewshomer_123

Chalobah sat in front of the back four in the first half allowing Skuse and Downes to push on.

It did not really work too well to be honest.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Slightly surprised to see the midfield 3 were all holding CM’s yesterday on 10:26 - Aug 5 with 2966 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Skuse had been dreadful in the first half.

A bit better in the 2nd one but still bad passing at times.
Slightly surprised to see the midfield 3 were all holding CM’s yesterday on 10:28 - Aug 5 with 2947 viewshomer_123

Slightly surprised to see the midfield 3 were all holding CM’s yesterday on 10:26 - Aug 5 by Mach_foreignBlue

Considering he was playing alongside two CMs with barely any e perience, he had a lot of work to get through and carry them through.

on 10:30 - Aug 5 with 2939 views_

Slightly surprised to see the midfield 3 were all holding CM’s yesterday on 10:24 - Aug 5 by homer_123

Chalobah sat in front of the back four in the first half allowing Skuse and Downes to push on.

It did not really work too well to be honest.

Slightly surprised to see the midfield 3 were all holding CM’s yesterday on 10:30 - Aug 5 with 2937 viewsblueislander

Slightly surprised to see the midfield 3 were all holding CM’s yesterday on 10:28 - Aug 5 by homer_123

Considering he was playing alongside two CMs with barely any e perience, he had a lot of work to get through and carry them through.

That intrigues me. How did he carry the other two? I was not at the game by the way.
I accept that you are..... on 10:31 - Aug 5 with 2939 viewsBloots

Slightly surprised to see the midfield 3 were all holding CM’s yesterday on 10:26 - Aug 5 by Mach_foreignBlue

.... rabidly anti Skuse but to be fair Downes and Chalobah were no better when it came to ball retention.

They were just a bit more athletic at times.

Those three are far too similar to play together.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Slightly surprised to see the midfield 3 were all holding CM’s yesterday on 10:33 - Aug 5 with 2923 viewsbackwaywhen

on 10:30 - Aug 5 by _

Second half I thought he might bring on Dozzell as I could not see us scoring ...he was a stand out against Wet Sham ....
Slightly surprised to see the midfield 3 were all holding CM’s yesterday on 10:34 - Aug 5 with 2924 viewshomer_123

Slightly surprised to see the midfield 3 were all holding CM’s yesterday on 10:30 - Aug 5 by blueislander

That intrigues me. How did he carry the other two? I was not at the game by the way.

He's got to talk them through the match, guide and support them. Constantly talk and keep an eye on them and also cover for them, which he did, quietly and effectively. He's not an attacking midfielder for sure but he got through so much work yesterday.

Login to get fewer ads

Slightly surprised to see the midfield 3 were all holding CM’s yesterday on 10:36 - Aug 5 with 2906 viewshomer_123

on 10:30 - Aug 5 by _

I never said they were all holding mids, although two of the three are.

After the first goal, we lost all shape in the middle. As good as we were closing down for the first 10, after that it wasn't great Libs.

It can and will get better.

on 10:39 - Aug 5 with 2890 views_

Slightly surprised to see the midfield 3 were all holding CM’s yesterday on 10:36 - Aug 5 by homer_123

After the first goal, we lost all shape in the middle. As good as we were closing down for the first 10, after that it wasn't great Libs.

Slightly surprised to see the midfield 3 were all holding CM’s yesterday on 10:40 - Aug 5 with 2889 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Slightly surprised to see the midfield 3 were all holding CM’s yesterday on 10:28 - Aug 5 by homer_123

Chalobah somehow showed though that it is possible in this role to have some attacking intent. Something different and better in compare to what we had to watch in the recent seasons.
Slightly surprised to see the midfield 3 were all holding CM’s yesterday on 10:40 - Aug 5 with 2885 viewspointofblue

Slightly surprised to see the midfield 3 were all holding CM’s yesterday on 10:36 - Aug 5 by homer_123

Also there’s no way Skuse, Chalobah and Downes will be the first choice combination - with Dozzell coming back to fitness and Nydam seemingly out of favour those were the only central midfielders left to choose from.

The Nydam situation is the big question for me - should we be blooding a Chelsea youngster before one of our own? It’s not as if he isn’t ready. I wonder if Nydam was one of those Hurst was taking a pop at pre-season, when saying “not as good as I was led to believe”.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

on 10:41 - Aug 5 with 2875 views_

Slightly surprised to see the midfield 3 were all holding CM’s yesterday on 10:40 - Aug 5 by pointofblue

Also there’s no way Skuse, Chalobah and Downes will be the first choice combination - with Dozzell coming back to fitness and Nydam seemingly out of favour those were the only central midfielders left to choose from.

The Nydam situation is the big question for me - should we be blooding a Chelsea youngster before one of our own? It’s not as if he isn’t ready. I wonder if Nydam was one of those Hurst was taking a pop at pre-season, when saying “not as good as I was led to believe”.

Slightly surprised to see the midfield 3 were all holding CM’s yesterday on 10:42 - Aug 5 with 2867 viewsDubtractor

It didn't work for the most part.

I covered player performances in my summary on here last night, with those 3 as follows.

Chalobah - He seems to have really divided opinion on here. I thought he was pretty good though, always demanding the ball an trying to get moves started, though did dwell in possession a few times. I think he will prove to be a great signing.

Skuse - pretty poor, the game seemed to pass him by, and his forward passing was very patchy. I think he may not be a regular this season once we have a settled squad.

Downes - looked like a fish out of water in that advanced position and his lack of quality passing left a few promising moves floundering. He will be a good player for us, but not playing there!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Slightly surprised to see the midfield 3 were all holding CM’s yesterday on 10:43 - Aug 5 with 2865 viewshomer_123

Slightly surprised to see the midfield 3 were all holding CM’s yesterday on 10:40 - Aug 5 by pointofblue

Agreed, Huws surely, would be a starter and Doz over Downes?

Nydam....to be honest, I think I must be one of the few that hasn't been all that impressed. Happy to be wrong but I think Downes and Doz are better players. Your point about blooding other clubs over ours is entirely accurate.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2018 10:43]

Slightly surprised to see the midfield 3 were all holding CM’s yesterday on 10:47 - Aug 5 with 2834 viewsDennyx4

For me it was almost a 4141 - with Chalobah just in front of the back four.

Skuse and Downes pressed high up - worked ok early on, but didnt work in the second half, where they all seemed a little deeper.

Not sure Skuse works in that position, be interesting to see what changes take place over the coming weeks.
on 10:50 - Aug 5 with 2821 views_

Slightly surprised to see the midfield 3 were all holding CM’s yesterday on 10:43 - Aug 5 by homer_123

Agreed, Huws surely, would be a starter and Doz over Downes?

Nydam....to be honest, I think I must be one of the few that hasn't been all that impressed. Happy to be wrong but I think Downes and Doz are better players. Your point about blooding other clubs over ours is entirely accurate.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2018 10:43]

I accept that you are..... on 10:52 - Aug 5 with 2807 viewsOsborneOneNil

I accept that you are..... on 10:31 - Aug 5 by Bloots

.... rabidly anti Skuse but to be fair Downes and Chalobah were no better when it came to ball retention.

They were just a bit more athletic at times.

Those three are far too similar to play together.

Yeah that was my thinking, all 3 tend to play deeper. Hopefully have Nolan in there next match.
Slightly surprised to see the midfield 3 were all holding CM’s yesterday on 10:52 - Aug 5 with 2805 viewshomer_123

on 10:50 - Aug 5 by _

Oh he can play, we do have real quality in the middle....if we can get them bloody fit!

Slightly surprised to see the midfield 3 were all holding CM’s yesterday on 10:53 - Aug 5 with 2800 viewspointofblue

on 10:41 - Aug 5 by _

I stand corrected if so. In that case I am unimpressed that Premier League youngsters are getting blooded before our own; at least Nydam would have had a bit more experience at this level in midfield than Chalobah, to help Skuse.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Slightly surprised to see the midfield 3 were all holding CM’s yesterday on 10:53 - Aug 5 with 2803 viewsSuperfrans

Slightly surprised to see the midfield 3 were all holding CM’s yesterday on 10:42 - Aug 5 by Dubtractor

It didn't work for the most part.

I covered player performances in my summary on here last night, with those 3 as follows.

Chalobah - He seems to have really divided opinion on here. I thought he was pretty good though, always demanding the ball an trying to get moves started, though did dwell in possession a few times. I think he will prove to be a great signing.

Skuse - pretty poor, the game seemed to pass him by, and his forward passing was very patchy. I think he may not be a regular this season once we have a settled squad.

Downes - looked like a fish out of water in that advanced position and his lack of quality passing left a few promising moves floundering. He will be a good player for us, but not playing there!

The problem atm is that we all want to micro-analyse everything, but it’s all pretty pointless.

We’re trying to implement a totally new style of play, with only half the first XI players we need and integrate new players into the group (many of them very young) at the same time. I thought Chalobah and Edun did exceptionally well yesterday, given their age and the fact that we had no established structure to the team.

We are still working on style, partnerships within the team, fitness and personnel. We could well have two additional CHs, a number 10, 1/2 strikers by next Saturday - then they need to get used to playing together.

We’re not going to be able to assess where we are for a month or two, I reckon, and even then it won’t be a fully-fledged PH team. In the meantime it’s about getting points in the bag wherever we can.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Slightly surprised to see the midfield 3 were all holding CM’s yesterday on 10:56 - Aug 5 with 2788 viewsCurrie10

Rubbish.

Skuse played quite well yesterday, better with the ball.

Downes was everywhere and ran out of gas.

Chabolah very weird - did the difficult well and the easy poor. Gave it away in stupid areas a few times and on occasion didn't even look where he was about to pass!

Strong as a tank though and will improve.
on 10:56 - Aug 5 with 2779 views_

Slightly surprised to see the midfield 3 were all holding CM’s yesterday on 10:52 - Aug 5 by homer_123

Oh he can play, we do have real quality in the middle....if we can get them bloody fit!

Slightly surprised to see the midfield 3 were all holding CM’s yesterday on 11:01 - Aug 5 with 2737 viewsDubtractor

Slightly surprised to see the midfield 3 were all holding CM’s yesterday on 10:53 - Aug 5 by Superfrans

The problem atm is that we all want to micro-analyse everything, but it’s all pretty pointless.

We’re trying to implement a totally new style of play, with only half the first XI players we need and integrate new players into the group (many of them very young) at the same time. I thought Chalobah and Edun did exceptionally well yesterday, given their age and the fact that we had no established structure to the team.

We are still working on style, partnerships within the team, fitness and personnel. We could well have two additional CHs, a number 10, 1/2 strikers by next Saturday - then they need to get used to playing together.

We’re not going to be able to assess where we are for a month or two, I reckon, and even then it won’t be a fully-fledged PH team. In the meantime it’s about getting points in the bag wherever we can.

Absolutely, we really won't know too much about how good (or bad) we are until a month or 2 into the season. Just summarising my thoughts on performances yesterday - albeit I do wonder where Skuse fits in the formation Hurst seems to favour.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

on 11:04 - Aug 5 with 2721 views_

Slightly surprised to see the midfield 3 were all holding CM’s yesterday on 10:56 - Aug 5 by Currie10

Rubbish.

Skuse played quite well yesterday, better with the ball.

Downes was everywhere and ran out of gas.

Chabolah very weird - did the difficult well and the easy poor. Gave it away in stupid areas a few times and on occasion didn't even look where he was about to pass!

Strong as a tank though and will improve.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024