Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Heading a football - it is quite hard to justify in this day and age 17:06 - Aug 8 with 1966 viewsBOjK

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45110282

I'd miss it, and abolishing it would change the game a lot, but the evidence is piling up that it does damage to lots of players.

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

Heading a football - it is quite hard to justify in this day and age on 17:10 - Aug 8 with 1935 viewslegoman

I would love to see every player where those chocolate chunk looking skull caps. Would get a shed load more goals and more protection from head clashes?

Poll: Sheepshanks 5 years -v- Evans 5 points

Heading a football - it is quite hard to justify in this day and age on 17:11 - Aug 8 with 1932 viewsDarth_Koont

Maybe you first minimize heading in training? This is the step that seems to make most sense in dealing with concussion and long-term risks in rugby re: tackling/clearouts.

Pronouns: He/Him

Heading a football - it is quite hard to justify in this day and age on 17:41 - Aug 8 with 1854 viewsx123456789

I put another thread on this earlier and it got me thinking - would football actually be a worse game without headers? Arguably it could improve the game overall, let alone make it ‘safer’.

It would obviously be significant but it’s not as fundamental as tackling / contact in NFL and rugby where the debate is also very prevalent.
Heading a football - it is quite hard to justify in this day and age on 18:06 - Aug 8 with 1795 viewsGlasgowBlue

Heading a football - it is quite hard to justify in this day and age on 17:41 - Aug 8 by x123456789

I put another thread on this earlier and it got me thinking - would football actually be a worse game without headers? Arguably it could improve the game overall, let alone make it ‘safer’.

It would obviously be significant but it’s not as fundamental as tackling / contact in NFL and rugby where the debate is also very prevalent.

Safety has to come first but it would be an awful game without headers. More so for defending as they would have to let the ball bounce every time rather than heading it away.

Head guards like that worn by Cech could be a solution.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Heading a football - it is quite hard to justify in this day and age on 18:17 - Aug 8 with 1773 viewsjeera

Regular scans? Dunno.

I can completely understand the concern for kids but it would change the game dramatically if a ban came in for the professional game.

Of course the modern ball designs cannot be compared to the old leather things.

We had one when I was a kid and if it was wet I could have easily broken my foot trying to boot it. Heading was out of the question as my neck would have snapped.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Heading a football - it is quite hard to justify in this day and age on 18:18 - Aug 8 with 1769 viewsITFC_Forever

Heading a football - it is quite hard to justify in this day and age on 18:06 - Aug 8 by GlasgowBlue

Safety has to come first but it would be an awful game without headers. More so for defending as they would have to let the ball bounce every time rather than heading it away.

They could play it on the volley. Wouldn’t need to have to let it bounce.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Heading a football - it is quite hard to justify in this day and age on 18:33 - Aug 8 with 1735 viewsfloridaboy

Heading a football - it is quite hard to justify in this day and age on 18:17 - Aug 8 by jeera

Regular scans? Dunno.

I can completely understand the concern for kids but it would change the game dramatically if a ban came in for the professional game.

Of course the modern ball designs cannot be compared to the old leather things.

We had one when I was a kid and if it was wet I could have easily broken my foot trying to boot it. Heading was out of the question as my neck would have snapped.

The old leather ones back in the 60s. Probably why my ankles are knackered now I reckon.

Used to try and avoid heading the ball, especially when wet. God that hurt!
Heading a football - it is quite hard to justify in this day and age on 18:43 - Aug 8 with 1719 viewsGlasgowBlue

Heading a football - it is quite hard to justify in this day and age on 18:18 - Aug 8 by ITFC_Forever

They could play it on the volley. Wouldn’t need to have to let it bounce.

Oh the joy of watching big defenders endlessly kicking air.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Login to get fewer ads

Heading a football - it is quite hard to justify in this day and age on 19:04 - Aug 8 with 1702 viewsTrequartista

Do modern balls do the same damage? All the examples are of players heading the old leather balls. Surely boxing is more dangerous?
[Post edited 8 Aug 2018 19:05]

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Heading a football - it is quite hard to justify in this day and age on 19:11 - Aug 8 with 1691 viewsjeera

Heading a football - it is quite hard to justify in this day and age on 18:33 - Aug 8 by floridaboy

The old leather ones back in the 60s. Probably why my ankles are knackered now I reckon.

Used to try and avoid heading the ball, especially when wet. God that hurt!

And the laces.

What was that all about?

They could really hurt.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Heading a football - it is quite hard to justify in this day and age on 19:41 - Aug 8 with 1660 viewsx123456789

Heading a football - it is quite hard to justify in this day and age on 18:06 - Aug 8 by GlasgowBlue

Is watching a defender head the ball away what brings much entertainment to the game?

I'm not sure forcing them to try and control the ball or volley it clear would significantly diminish from the game I watch now.

Arguably it could result in defenders being better footballers and a more attractive version of the game ... of course it may not.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024