Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Level of quality question 21:02 - Aug 8 with 2179 viewsMonkey_Blue

Do we think we have more or less quality in the squad this season? My worry is we lack both quality and also goal threat.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2018 21:03]
Level of quality question on 21:04 - Aug 8 with 2150 viewswkj

Depends on how you look at it

Player by player, that is debatable, although Gwion Edwards looks like a coup

To fit Hurst's system - You would think we are now much better quality than before

To fit Mickma's system - Probably less quality

Time will tell

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Level of quality question on 21:10 - Aug 8 with 2125 viewsGuthrum

Yes there is plenty of quality. Just depends what effect the step up in divisions has, if any, for the more inexperienced players.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Level of quality question on 21:12 - Aug 8 with 2115 viewsOsborneOneNil

More, 100%. Especially taking the injured lads out of the equation from last year. This new squad can pass the ball.
Level of quality question on 22:32 - Aug 8 with 2007 viewsbournemouthblue

Level of quality question on 21:12 - Aug 8 by OsborneOneNil

More, 100%. Especially taking the injured lads out of the equation from last year. This new squad can pass the ball.

And will play positively and probably work harder

We actually have a central midfielder in Nolan capable of chipping in with the odd goal?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Level of quality question on 23:00 - Aug 8 with 1948 viewsMonkey_Blue

Level of quality question on 21:10 - Aug 8 by Guthrum

Yes there is plenty of quality. Just depends what effect the step up in divisions has, if any, for the more inexperienced players.

How given you question if they can step up do you claim more quality? We don’t know if they can play with “quality” at this level
Level of quality question on 23:02 - Aug 8 with 1938 viewsMonkey_Blue

Level of quality question on 21:12 - Aug 8 by OsborneOneNil

Any team can play to feet.... it’s whether they are good enough to keep it or be effective with it. We can play every pass on the ground and create zero
Level of quality question on 23:03 - Aug 8 with 1935 viewsMonkey_Blue

Level of quality question on 22:32 - Aug 8 by bournemouthblue

And will play positively and probably work harder

We actually have a central midfielder in Nolan capable of chipping in with the odd goal?

Capable of chipping in at this level?
Level of quality question on 23:05 - Aug 8 with 1921 viewswkj

Level of quality question on 23:00 - Aug 8 by Monkey_Blue

How given you question if they can step up do you claim more quality? We don’t know if they can play with “quality” at this level

I personally think there is very little quality difference in some teams in League One and the Championship to be honest. I think a good 8 or 9 teams could survive in this league in their current state, and arguable 8 or 9 teams in the Championship who would struggle to get back up.

I feel Hurst is building a squard, with sellable assets- as stated earlier PJ, RK, MM all let a lot of players go for nothing, and that had an impact on financial sustainability- which could be why Evans went through a time where it felt like we were getting peanuts from revenue coming in.

The squad we have now would perform miracles to get in the playoffs, but we can hold our own, and I think each year a few players will now be sold to fund the way for new, possibly better ones.

Crybaby

Login to get fewer ads

Level of quality question on 23:07 - Aug 8 with 1916 viewsKeaneish

I saw more all round quality on that pitch on Saturday than I have in years at PR. Granted we’ve had bright sparks like Fraser and Lawrence but as players in a system or a unit, plenty more encouraging natural players playing their own game. How many cross field balls did you ever see Knudsen hit under MM? Proves he has a very sweet left foot. One example of many things where players will flourish under Hurst.

When Tommy Oar left, his agent cited words along a similar line that he didn’t want to or didn’t enjoy the way he was being asked to play. I bet Knudsen enjoyed being allowed to hit an 80 yard pin point cross field ball Saturday. Quality in transfers in and quality in players being allowed to play.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Level of quality question on 23:07 - Aug 8 with 1917 viewsDubtractor

One of the fundamental issues with our team over the last couple of seasons has been the lack of quality/technical skills.

All very workmanlike, apart from a few injury cases.

Without a doubt we are making a bit of a gamble, but I think that it is based on some players with more flair than we had previously.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Level of quality question on 23:12 - Aug 8 with 1892 viewswkj

Level of quality question on 23:07 - Aug 8 by Dubtractor

One of the fundamental issues with our team over the last couple of seasons has been the lack of quality/technical skills.

All very workmanlike, apart from a few injury cases.

Without a doubt we are making a bit of a gamble, but I think that it is based on some players with more flair than we had previously.

Exactly, I think Gwion Edwards is a classic example, he isn't affraid to try a little magic - though over all I feel his passing and crossing needs a bit of finess

Crybaby

Level of quality question on 00:46 - Aug 9 with 1760 viewsGuthrum

Level of quality question on 23:00 - Aug 8 by Monkey_Blue

The new recruits are among the best in League One/Two, many of whom have been rapidly climbing the divisions. Their raw quality is at a high level, it's only a question as to whether they can apply that in the Championship.

In comparison with other recent ITFC teams, they are not so much of greater or lesser quality, as a different type. Less experienced, perhaps not so strong, but young, fast and agile.

Level of quality question on 00:51 - Aug 9 with 1753 viewsjeera

Level of quality question on 00:46 - Aug 9 by Guthrum

The new recruits are among the best in League One/Two, many of whom have been rapidly climbing the divisions. Their raw quality is at a high level, it's only a question as to whether they can apply that in the Championship.

In comparison with other recent ITFC teams, they are not so much of greater or lesser quality, as a different type. Less experienced, perhaps not so strong, but young, fast and agile.

I can only see this squad growing in quality and confidence as time goes on, can't you?

Admittedly, we're all a tad nervous about the months coming up but if we survive them, (yes I do know), then you can see them fulfilling potential in the future.

The right age groups/mix. Hopefully the right manager.

I see another Burley emerging in time, I really do.*

*We're gonna get relegated now aren't we.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Level of quality question on 00:58 - Aug 9 with 1747 viewsGuthrum

Level of quality question on 23:03 - Aug 8 by Monkey_Blue

Capable of chipping in at this level?

You make it sound like there's some vast gulf in standard between the lower two divisions of the League and the Championship (let alone the Prem). There really isn't. Players (especially young and developing ones) come up all the time and cope alright. There's a massive degree of overlap.

We're not talking blokes who've never risen higher in a decade or more of playing. These are talented young men just coming into their footballing prime. They have skill, they have energy, several have experience of competing for promotion.

Level of quality question on 01:07 - Aug 9 with 1743 viewsGuthrum

Level of quality question on 00:51 - Aug 9 by jeera

I can only see this squad growing in quality and confidence as time goes on, can't you?

Admittedly, we're all a tad nervous about the months coming up but if we survive them, (yes I do know), then you can see them fulfilling potential in the future.

The right age groups/mix. Hopefully the right manager.

I see another Burley emerging in time, I really do.*

*We're gonna get relegated now aren't we.

Relegation is often as much a matter of morale as lack of ability. Teams go down with a whimper, or bottle crucial games. If Hurst is a good motivator, combined with youthful optimism from our players, then we ought to be safe.

Tho, in addition, it might take time for us to fully develop as a squad.

As we so often say, see where we are at Christmas.

Level of quality question on 08:31 - Aug 9 with 1461 viewstractorshark

Probably less proven quality but the potential to be better in the future.
Edwards is a good example. When I watched him at Crawley, his end product was inconsistent and he drifted in games.
Having watched him last Sat and in pre-season, he’s developed hugely.
Hopefully, this isn’t him peaking.
At least we have young legs in the team now and some fresh thinking.
Last season was the first time since the Duncan days, that I thought the club had gone stale.
Most blamed McCarthy for that but it wasn’t just him.
Level of quality question on 08:38 - Aug 9 with 1438 viewsdirtyboy

Incredibly difficult to say at the moment, I agree on Edwards, looks great, but so did Ward on his first game, let's just see how things pan out.

My only real worry is that whilst we've got a few very good lower league players, they are now stepping up against better players, that will be difficult and take time....what will also take a bit of time is Hurst is stepping up in level and that too may take time. Combine those two points and there's an air of uncertainty on how things will go.

However, good attitudes and good personnel who work hard will take you a decent way in this league, let's hope he's at least got those spot on.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024