Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cole Skuse 10:47 - Aug 9 with 4816 viewsandyjr

Seen a lot of posts about possible starting XI's, not sure I've seen one that includes Skuse.

Yes it's very good to have all these new players but we still need someone with experience in the middle of the park, who is able to put a foot on it sometimes.

Although saying that, didn't have a massive involvement in my view on Saturday. Looked a lot slower and quite tired at times.

P.S Please stop including Sears in the XI's, imo its a waste of a position playing him out wide, would rather have an out and out winger there.

Poll: What is your all time favourite ITFC shirt sponsor?

Cole Skuse on 10:50 - Aug 9 with 4154 viewsJackADP

Skuse has been a great player for us over the years, but am worried that he's a little trapped in sideways football now.

Hurst seems to be breathing an attacking mindset into the team (slowly but surely) and I'm not sure, and neither do I, he sees Skuse fitting into that mentality.

Agreed however about experience, the suggested midfield and attacking line ups from most are exciting, but the experience is lacking and could lead to some naivety.
Cole Skuse on 10:53 - Aug 9 with 4124 viewsGarv

He seemed to be used further forward so probably was more tired than normal due to the amount of running he was doing. It'll be interesting to see whether Hurst sees him as a mainstay as Mick did.

Chalobah is etched on the team sheet, at the moment i don't see a genuine challenger to Skuse for the slot alongside. I love Downes but I can't see him being a permanent solution yet, Dozzell will be used sparingly and hopefully to good effect, maybe Edun?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Cole Skuse on 10:55 - Aug 9 with 4102 viewsandyjr

Cole Skuse on 10:53 - Aug 9 by Garv

He seemed to be used further forward so probably was more tired than normal due to the amount of running he was doing. It'll be interesting to see whether Hurst sees him as a mainstay as Mick did.

Chalobah is etched on the team sheet, at the moment i don't see a genuine challenger to Skuse for the slot alongside. I love Downes but I can't see him being a permanent solution yet, Dozzell will be used sparingly and hopefully to good effect, maybe Edun?

Downes looked really good Saturday, seems his loan out last season really progressed him.

Was disappointed when Hurst took him off, probably to protect him a bit.

Poll: What is your all time favourite ITFC shirt sponsor?

Cole Skuse on 11:00 - Aug 9 with 4056 viewshomer_123

Cole Skuse on 10:55 - Aug 9 by andyjr

Downes looked really good Saturday, seems his loan out last season really progressed him.

Which match were you watching?

Downes looked average, at best. He wasn't 'really good' by any stretch of the imagination.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Cole Skuse on 11:03 - Aug 9 with 4046 viewsBlueBadger

Cole Skuse on 10:50 - Aug 9 by JackADP

Skuse has been a great player for us over the years, but am worried that he's a little trapped in sideways football now.

Hurst seems to be breathing an attacking mindset into the team (slowly but surely) and I'm not sure, and neither do I, he sees Skuse fitting into that mentality.

Agreed however about experience, the suggested midfield and attacking line ups from most are exciting, but the experience is lacking and could lead to some naivety.

I suspect that Skuse will slowly be phased out over the season as the team gels together and Downes matures. I reckon he'll start Saturday and Downes will be on the bench.

At the moment we need his(along with Chambers') experience and leadership to help the young and new lads bed in.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2018 11:18]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Cole Skuse on 11:06 - Aug 9 with 4015 viewsSwailsey

Cole Skuse on 10:55 - Aug 9 by andyjr

Football's a funny old game isn't it.

I was really disappointed with Downes!

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Cole Skuse on 11:17 - Aug 9 with 3964 viewsKeaneish

Cole Skuse on 10:53 - Aug 9 by Garv

When Huws is back, Skuse won't have a place in this side. Look at how Nolan plays his football. Quick on the turn always looking for a forward pass and moving off the ball once played looking for a return pass or other option.

Chalobah, Nolan and Huws is an exciting midfield that people will pay to see. Add Nydam, Dozzell and Downes to that and we have some things to be really positive about. Do we need Skuse experience? Not playing in the position he played Saturday we don't.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Cole Skuse on 11:19 - Aug 9 with 3956 viewsVic

Cole Skuse on 11:06 - Aug 9 by Swailsey

Football's a funny old game isn't it.

I was really disappointed with Downes!

That was what everyone around me was saying too!

I actually thought that Skuse looked to press and play forward balls much more that before on Saturday. I was quietly impressed with him - he just seemed to get on with the game, doing a lot of us flashy stuff, whilst Chalobah and Harrison and Edwards were all flicks and tricks and muscle. I liked the combination.

Excited to see what Nolan does in there. I like the look of him and if he steps up as expected he’ll be a great aquisition.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Login to get fewer ads

Cole Skuse on 11:26 - Aug 9 with 3931 viewsGeoffSentence

Re: Sears

He did put some good balls into the box from wide positions on Saturday, including an excellent cross for Edward's goal, so not a complete waste of time out wide.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Cole Skuse on 11:36 - Aug 9 with 3888 viewsTomJamesLW

I get the Sears comment, he doesn't seem to have a left foot to run down the line & can't cut in and run at the defence.. the two things you'd expect a left winger to do.

However, he did get a good assist against Blackburn so he'll keep his place against Rotherham at least.

Can't see Skuse being nearly as important now as he has been. Think Hurst wants players who can be involved in more than one phase of play, and are confident in tight spaces, Skuse in neither.

Poll: What's more likely?

Cole Skuse on 11:45 - Aug 9 with 3852 viewsitfcjoe

4 out of 7 teams in this thread include Skuse. And 3 further posters have described one team including Skuse as bang on so you may need to have a proper look around before your first sentence next time

Your starting XI? by JackADP 9 Aug 2018 9:52
Theoretical fully fit team, including Jackson, as we can presume he'll be with us today.

Bialkowski
Donacien Chambers Nsiala Knudsen
Edwards Chalobah Huws Sears
Jackson Harrison

A left sided winger is really the only transfer I now want...

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Cole Skuse on 12:01 - Aug 9 with 3783 viewsZedRodgers

Cole Skuse on 11:45 - Aug 9 by itfcjoe

4 out of 7 teams in this thread include Skuse. And 3 further posters have described one team including Skuse as bang on so you may need to have a proper look around before your first sentence next time

Your starting XI? by JackADP 9 Aug 2018 9:52
Theoretical fully fit team, including Jackson, as we can presume he'll be with us today.

Bialkowski
Donacien Chambers Nsiala Knudsen
Edwards Chalobah Huws Sears
Jackson Harrison

A left sided winger is really the only transfer I now want...

Agreed.

Also, a lot of the Skuse-less XIs posted seem to assume we're going to be playing 4-4-2 now. We are not.

No, not at the moment

Cole Skuse on 12:03 - Aug 9 with 3778 viewschicoazul

Cole Skuse on 11:17 - Aug 9 by Keaneish

When Huws is back, Skuse won't have a place in this side. Look at how Nolan plays his football. Quick on the turn always looking for a forward pass and moving off the ball once played looking for a return pass or other option.

Chalobah, Nolan and Huws is an exciting midfield that people will pay to see. Add Nydam, Dozzell and Downes to that and we have some things to be really positive about. Do we need Skuse experience? Not playing in the position he played Saturday we don't.

Strong suspicion we wont see much of Huws this season. Don't believe he will be fit or strong enough to play in a deep role for Hurst and Nolan is nailed on for the 10 position.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

on 12:04 - Aug 9 with 3766 views_

Cole Skuse on 12:19 - Aug 9 with 3658 viewsDubtractor

Cole Skuse on 11:00 - Aug 9 by homer_123

Which match were you watching?

Downes looked average, at best. He wasn't 'really good' by any stretch of the imagination.

Yep, he struggled a bit, albeit not in his ideal position.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Cole Skuse on 12:24 - Aug 9 with 3627 viewsCuffy81

on 12:04 - Aug 9 by _

Why? I don't think anyone should be guaranteed a place in the team

I'm possibly over critical of Skuse but I don't see why he should be guaranteed a place, especially now we have other options
Cole Skuse on 12:24 - Aug 9 with 3624 viewsOsborneOneNil

on 12:04 - Aug 9 by _

Hahahahahahahaha.
Cole Skuse on 12:45 - Aug 9 with 3563 viewsblueislander

Cole Skuse on 12:24 - Aug 9 by OsborneOneNil

Hahahahahahahaha.

Indeed. There are people on here that have a complete blindspot where Skuse is concerned. One actually described him as technically the best player at the club. The argument to play him because of his experience is fallacious. The younger players may make mistakes, but their positive contributions will far outweigh these in time.
Cole Skuse on 12:52 - Aug 9 with 3519 viewsPinewoodblue

Cole Skuse on 12:01 - Aug 9 by ZedRodgers

Agreed.

Also, a lot of the Skuse-less XIs posted seem to assume we're going to be playing 4-4-2 now. We are not.

We are likely to switch to 4-4- 2 if chasing the game.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Cole Skuse on 12:54 - Aug 9 with 3502 viewsZedRodgers

Cole Skuse on 12:52 - Aug 9 by Pinewoodblue

We are likely to switch to 4-4- 2 if chasing the game.

I know.

No, not at the moment

Cole Skuse on 13:01 - Aug 9 with 3476 viewsitfcjoe

Cole Skuse on 12:45 - Aug 9 by blueislander

Indeed. There are people on here that have a complete blindspot where Skuse is concerned. One actually described him as technically the best player at the club. The argument to play him because of his experience is fallacious. The younger players may make mistakes, but their positive contributions will far outweigh these in time.

And equally there are some that can't give him any credit whatsoever when he has started week in-week out in the Championship for over a decade

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Cole Skuse on 13:10 - Aug 9 with 3446 viewsOsborneOneNil

Cole Skuse on 12:45 - Aug 9 by blueislander

Totally agree. I've been critical of Skuse, and taken plenty of flak for it from the usual suspects. I am more than happy to be proved wrong on him and hope he is suddenly a better version of old Skuse with the new manager, and system. But for people o describe him as 'vital' and the 'best technician' at the club, mindblowing.

As Keanish says, if we get Trev, Huws and Nolan playing you'll see the difference.
Cole Skuse on 13:27 - Aug 9 with 3395 viewsblueislander

Cole Skuse on 13:01 - Aug 9 by itfcjoe

And equally there are some that can't give him any credit whatsoever when he has started week in-week out in the Championship for over a decade

He was an automatic choice for McCarthy, who was happy not to play any football through the midfield.
Cole Skuse on 13:29 - Aug 9 with 3388 viewswkj

I think Skuse might just slip down the pecking order with Hurst's desire for pace. I have never been anything but supportive of Skuse, but he seems to have slowed down over summer based on the first game.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Cole Skuse on 13:30 - Aug 9 with 3381 viewsLankHenners

If we play 4231 (or some variant of) then him and Chalobah are pretty much shoe-ins for the '2' now - Nolan will play further forward, and Hurst clearly doesn't have Dozzell pinned down as a starter yet due to his fitness. I expect as the season goes on he and Chalobah will share the deeper lying midfielder role but for now with a lot of new, inexperienced at Championship level faces in the team it helps to have a steady hand in there.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024