Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My take on Hurst's transfers (quality and quantity) 13:37 - Aug 9 with 5462 viewsDarth_Koont

For me it's not a question of whether individual players will be worth their transfer fee as they make the step up (I'm sure one or two will and one or two won't). It's more whether his system will pay dividends as it looks to me like Hurst is very much recruiting players (starters, cover and competition) for a system.

That in itself is why he needs so many players from the start. And even allowing for him knowing or at least being more familiar with players from League One and Two, it's also the only place you can get his type of player in volume without overspending the budget by millions.

We need a number of high-intensity players (either fast, hard-running attackers and advanced midfielders or athletic, solid defenders) and getting those in the Championship would no doubt be prohibitively expensive. It's why teams like Swansea and Bournemouth were so adept at setting their own distinct style as they'd effectively done the recruitment job in League One. So that gives me a lot of reassurance that not only can this system approach work from a transfer and playing perspective but also that it's been responsible for some of the more impressive promotion campaigns in recent years.

Exciting times!

Pronouns: He/Him

My take on Hurst's transfers (quality and quantity) on 13:43 - Aug 9 with 5394 viewsgt81

Nolan, Jackson and Edwards alone should make us more exciting and effective going forwards. Players with pace that will look to go direct, rather than ponderous tikki-taka football with no end result.
My take on Hurst's transfers (quality and quantity) on 13:46 - Aug 9 with 5362 viewsOsborneOneNil

It's tremendously exciting.

Night and Day from last year.
My take on Hurst's transfers (quality and quantity) on 13:50 - Aug 9 with 5329 viewsDarth_Koont

My take on Hurst's transfers (quality and quantity) on 13:46 - Aug 9 by OsborneOneNil

Well, mainly because Hurst has inherited a better position than Mick ever had himself.

I think we can be appreciative of the constraints Mick was under and despite that his part in providing a solid foundation and the funds to take the next step.

My take on Hurst's transfers (quality and quantity) on 13:59 - Aug 9 with 5255 viewsCharlie_pl_baxter

I agree, he's basically spreading our financial risk across a lot of different players from a lower level. He doesn't need all of them to come off, just enough to fill a first team and provide competition for places.

Poll: We recruit two strikers, one has to be Bonne or Wickham, who would you have?

My take on Hurst's transfers (quality and quantity) on 14:01 - Aug 9 with 5235 viewsBOjK

My take on Hurst's transfers (quality and quantity) on 13:43 - Aug 9 by gt81

Nolan, Jackson and Edwards alone should make us more exciting and effective going forwards. Players with pace that will look to go direct, rather than ponderous tikki-taka football with no end result.

Ipswich have had some problem recently, but an over-reliance on tiki-taka hasn't been high on the list.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2018 14:01]

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

My take on Hurst's transfers (quality and quantity) on 14:18 - Aug 9 with 5167 viewsLeagueOne

I personally do think it's whether they step up or not. If we're rock bottom at Christmas (not saying we will be) then would this window have still been a success? Of course not, the proof is always in the pudding.

We hope it's a success but so far we have had just one game to go by and you cant really read too much into that right now.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2018 14:21]

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

My take on Hurst's transfers (quality and quantity) on 14:25 - Aug 9 with 5137 viewsDarth_Koont

My take on Hurst's transfers (quality and quantity) on 14:18 - Aug 9 by LeagueOne

I personally do think it's whether they step up or not. If we're rock bottom at Christmas (not saying we will be) then would this window have still been a success? Of course not, the proof is always in the pudding.

We hope it's a success but so far we have had just one game to go by and you cant really read too much into that right now.

Well, a lot more depends on the overall success of the system. So I think if we're going to judge the transfer window it'll be on that basis. The players will also look worse individually if the system doesn't work.

I doubt that we'll ever see the team that played on Saturday but for 80 minutes the system didn't work and the players looked pretty poor for long stretches.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2018 14:29]

My take on Hurst's transfers (quality and quantity) on 14:32 - Aug 9 with 5092 viewsgt81

My take on Hurst's transfers (quality and quantity) on 14:01 - Aug 9 by BOjK

Ipswich have had some problem recently, but an over-reliance on tiki-taka hasn't been high on the list.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2018 14:01]

No I know that, I'm just saying Hurst won't be like that either, it will be a pacy and direct form of attack he's going for. Which is fine by me.
Login to get fewer ads

My take on Hurst's transfers (quality and quantity) on 16:18 - Aug 9 with 4915 viewsLeagueOne

My take on Hurst's transfers (quality and quantity) on 14:25 - Aug 9 by Darth_Koont

Well, a lot more depends on the overall success of the system. So I think if we're going to judge the transfer window it'll be on that basis. The players will also look worse individually if the system doesn't work.

I doubt that we'll ever see the team that played on Saturday but for 80 minutes the system didn't work and the players looked pretty poor for long stretches.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2018 14:29]

As I said, it's not as if we have a whole seasons of evidence to go by at this stage. So the idea of whether the window (and system) are a success at this stage is merely speculative. We can only hope that it is.

I honestly expect a finish of around 15th myself and there will be no complaints from me if that is the case. If we do even better, Hurst will have done very well for his first season.

My take on Hurst's transfers (quality and quantity) on 16:24 - Aug 9 with 4890 viewsNthsuffolkblue

My take on Hurst's transfers (quality and quantity) on 14:18 - Aug 9 by LeagueOne

Very interesting username and logo. But assuming you are not trolling, IF we do happen to be bottom at Christmas but beginning to play a system that works and showing the potential to beat anybody in front of us, I would hope the fans would stick with the team and the manager.

Nothing I saw on Saturday would suggest "bottom at Christmas" I would be very surprised if we move backwards from there between now and Christmas but time will tell.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

My take on Hurst's transfers (quality and quantity) on 22:28 - Sep 30 with 4534 viewsLeagueOne

My take on Hurst's transfers (quality and quantity) on 13:43 - Aug 9 by gt81

I would say if anything thats been furthest from the truth so far!

My take on Hurst's transfers (quality and quantity) on 10:52 - Dec 3 with 4148 viewsTonyHumesIpswich

My take on Hurst's transfers (quality and quantity) on 16:18 - Aug 9 by LeagueOne

As I said, it's not as if we have a whole seasons of evidence to go by at this stage. So the idea of whether the window (and system) are a success at this stage is merely speculative. We can only hope that it is.

I honestly expect a finish of around 15th myself and there will be no complaints from me if that is the case. If we do even better, Hurst will have done very well for his first season.

Marked you down at the time League One. Apologies. Would snap up 15th right now.
My take on Hurst's transfers (quality and quantity) on 10:59 - Dec 3 with 4101 viewsSwansea_Blue

Exciting times indeed!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

My take on Hurst's transfers (quality and quantity) on 11:00 - Dec 3 with 4105 viewsDarth_Koont

Well, I was completely wrong in one respect and right in another.

It wasn't exciting and the high-intensity system was non-existent. I literally have no idea what Hurst was trying to achieve given how little we saw from his team.

My take on Hurst's transfers (quality and quantity) on 11:01 - Dec 3 with 4091 viewsNo9

Not being on the 'inside' so having to rely on what I read / hear it seemed that PH had been hired to take the club away from the MM hoofball we had all moaned about. He started and had many plaudits on this forum for how things were going (remember 'Mind the gap').
My now views, watching h press conferfences and interviews were never more, nor less than, this bloke isn't the right one to take ITFC anywhere.
But he was the Owenrs choice, just as PL is.
Exciting times- how is your blood pressure?
My take on Hurst's transfers (quality and quantity) on 13:31 - Dec 3 with 3965 viewsFrimleyBlue

My take on Hurst's transfers (quality and quantity) on 11:01 - Dec 3 by No9

Not being on the 'inside' so having to rely on what I read / hear it seemed that PH had been hired to take the club away from the MM hoofball we had all moaned about. He started and had many plaudits on this forum for how things were going (remember 'Mind the gap').
My now views, watching h press conferfences and interviews were never more, nor less than, this bloke isn't the right one to take ITFC anywhere.
But he was the Owenrs choice, just as PL is.
Exciting times- how is your blood pressure?

The problem was, as much as people didn't want to hear it, Hurst really was a mini mick. Shrewsbury fans were mixed on his tactics, his style. Some said it was high pressured ball playing, some still felt it was direct, long and hopeful.

For me, I always had this feeling he tried to sign some players with experienced heads, but they'd talk to those at the club and stayed clear from it. I can't see how you can oversee such a squad overall and only bring in league 1 and 2 players. You're signing your very own P45. Yes that is a presumption, but surely you wouldn't take on a championship side, lose all that experience and replace with kids, and think you'll be fine.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

My take on Hurst's transfers (quality and quantity) on 15:14 - Dec 3 with 3830 viewsRadlett_blue

Really?
Hurst talked of playing an aggressive, fast paced, high pressing system & if that was his strategy, not unreasonable to want to bring in players suited to that system.
However, we saw little of this system in evidence & Hurst clearly lost his bottle after a few poor early results.
I am doubtful if many of the players Hurst brought in are capable of being decent tier 2 players, high intensity pressing or not.
His summer of dealings has left us with a poor squad at this level which looks doomed to relegation unless Lambert is a miracle worker and on the evidence of 5 winless games under him, he isn't.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

My take on Hurst's transfers (quality and quantity) on 15:21 - Dec 3 with 3802 viewschristiand

My take on Hurst's transfers (quality and quantity) on 13:31 - Dec 3 by FrimleyBlue

The problem was, as much as people didn't want to hear it, Hurst really was a mini mick. Shrewsbury fans were mixed on his tactics, his style. Some said it was high pressured ball playing, some still felt it was direct, long and hopeful.

For me, I always had this feeling he tried to sign some players with experienced heads, but they'd talk to those at the club and stayed clear from it. I can't see how you can oversee such a squad overall and only bring in league 1 and 2 players. You're signing your very own P45. Yes that is a presumption, but surely you wouldn't take on a championship side, lose all that experience and replace with kids, and think you'll be fine.

The majority of PH’s signings weren’t kids though Frimley. Just players with lower league experience that have struggled with the step up. Take a gamble on a couple, but not the amount PH brought in, we needed some signings to have a Championship pedigree. It’s just left us so exposed and look where we are in the table!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

My take on Hurst's transfers (quality and quantity) on 00:32 - Dec 4 with 3545 viewsGiveusaWave

My take on Hurst's transfers (quality and quantity) on 15:21 - Dec 3 by christiand

The majority of PH’s signings weren’t kids though Frimley. Just players with lower league experience that have struggled with the step up. Take a gamble on a couple, but not the amount PH brought in, we needed some signings to have a Championship pedigree. It’s just left us so exposed and look where we are in the table!

Some fans on here were crying out for a long time about wanting a lower league manager who would bring in lower league "gems".

Hurst was that lower league manager...turns out none of his signings are gems though. In my opinion...we paid way too much for every single signing (except Edwards).

Difficulty is we now need to bring in 4 or 5 new signings in Jan to improve our squad....not sure where that money is going to come from. If we are 10-15 points off safety....doubt we will even bother.

We took a gamble in the same way Norwich took a gamble on Farke....a reserve team manager from Germany. Their gamble paid off....ours hasn't....

Poll: If we sign one player in the Jan window....

My take on Hurst's transfers (quality and quantity) on 07:08 - Dec 4 with 3404 viewschristiand

My take on Hurst's transfers (quality and quantity) on 00:32 - Dec 4 by GiveusaWave

Some fans on here were crying out for a long time about wanting a lower league manager who would bring in lower league "gems".

Hurst was that lower league manager...turns out none of his signings are gems though. In my opinion...we paid way too much for every single signing (except Edwards).

Difficulty is we now need to bring in 4 or 5 new signings in Jan to improve our squad....not sure where that money is going to come from. If we are 10-15 points off safety....doubt we will even bother.

We took a gamble in the same way Norwich took a gamble on Farke....a reserve team manager from Germany. Their gamble paid off....ours hasn't....

That's why the transfer focus should've been on 'one or two' players from lower down, showing potential and ability to step up to The Championship. Our signings weren't even tearing it up in their respective divisions. Just seemed like a scatter-gun approach, pretty much like PH's team selections. I have to admit, I was one of those Guentchev who wanted PH in as our manager and was quite excited about his appointment......how wrong I was!!!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

My take on Hurst's transfers (quality and quantity) on 07:28 - Dec 4 with 3353 viewsBenters2

My take on Hurst's transfers (quality and quantity) on 16:24 - Aug 9 by Nthsuffolkblue

Very interesting username and logo. But assuming you are not trolling, IF we do happen to be bottom at Christmas but beginning to play a system that works and showing the potential to beat anybody in front of us, I would hope the fans would stick with the team and the manager.

Nothing I saw on Saturday would suggest "bottom at Christmas" I would be very surprised if we move backwards from there between now and Christmas but time will tell.

erm what?
My take on Hurst's transfers (quality and quantity) on 07:30 - Dec 4 with 3348 viewsBenters2

Tis Mystic Meg.
My take on Hurst's transfers (quality and quantity) on 11:14 - Dec 4 with 3193 viewsCurrie10

My take on Hurst's transfers (quality and quantity) on 13:46 - Aug 9 by OsborneOneNil

Give me last year any day over this shower.
My take on Hurst's transfers (quality and quantity) on 11:38 - Dec 4 with 3164 viewsBluebell

Some of the comments on here really make me laugh.

As I said in a thread yesterday, a lot of you were wetting your knickers at the thought of an amazing season.

If only we'd had a time machine in July!
My take on Hurst's transfers (quality and quantity) on 18:16 - Dec 4 with 3031 viewsgt81

My take on Hurst's transfers (quality and quantity) on 22:28 - Sep 30 by LeagueOne

I would say if anything thats been furthest from the truth so far!

Haha! I think I was caught in a rare moment of optimism, never to be repeated.

I was a known pessimist even in the Burley days....
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024