Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Very happy with transfer business... 07:58 - Aug 10 with 2498 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

...no idea how well all the players will step up, but very excited to find out.

Light at CB cover but I think PH will sort that in the loan market. Personally think it's not a bad thing that Woolfie isn't further down the pecking order when back from injury.

The new strikers are a bit of a risk, but I think we sold Waggy and Garner at a good time. 2018 goals;

Waggy - 5

Garner - 3

Very very pleased that we secured Nolan, and excited about the young talent we have in midfield.

One way or another, it won't be a dull season.

Big thanks from me to PH and ME, good work.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2018 7:59]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Very happy with transfer business... on 08:04 - Aug 10 with 2468 viewsmrshallisfit

So. Really happy with summer window business. Only the peripheral problems of weaken defence and uncertainty if we can score goals regularly.
Very happy with transfer business... on 08:05 - Aug 10 with 2467 viewsbackwiththeboysagain

Agree with that, and more importantly the football is going to be enjoyable to watch. Last week proved that, and after deciding last year enough was enough wasting my cash watching that style if football I’m going to enjoy what’s on offer. Although last week was only a draw I thoroughly enjoyed it, so long may it continue.
Hopefully like to see CCV back on loan to add to the CB’s, otherwise wonder if it’s possible we’d get Tilt on loan with a view to a permanent move, although if Blackpool were unwilling to compromise on a fee, I can’t see them agreeing to a loan.
Very happy with transfer business... on 08:07 - Aug 10 with 2458 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Very happy with transfer business... on 08:04 - Aug 10 by mrshallisfit

So. Really happy with summer window business. Only the peripheral problems of weaken defence and uncertainty if we can score goals regularly.

I think loans will beef up CB cover.

We would have had the same worries re goals with the old strikers. Certainly we the severe lack of pace and creativity in the old squad.

We were going into this season with risk whatever happened.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Very happy with transfer business... on 08:12 - Aug 10 with 2441 viewsHerbivore

On the whole I'm happy, quite a few unknowns but we've gone for an exciting strategy and it'll be interesting to see how it pans out. I only have a couple of issues really, the first of which is that we had an unbalanced squad when Hurst arrived and it's still unbalanced, just in different areas. We have lots of midfielders, full backs and versatile forwards but we're lacking centre backs and we're an out and out striker short with Garner leaving late yesterday. That can be rectified by a couple of loans so not too worrying.

Secondly, one thing I was looking forward to this season was seeing the youngsters progress and that looks unlikely to happen now. I can understand Hurst wanting to bring in his own players but the signing of someone like Edun, who looks good to be fair, is an odd one as it directly blocks someone like Nydam and possibly Dozzell and Downes too. I'm not sure he's any better or further along than them. We already had a lot of midfield options so signing Edun, Chalobah and Nolan seems excessive and will hamper our own young prospects. Hopefully a couple of them can get a good quality loan spell under their belt and come back better next year but part of me is sad I won't get to see more of them.

So on the whole lots of reasons to be cheerful but a couple of notes of caution as well. The squad has undergone wholesale changes when arguably what was needed was to augment it in specific areas and it will inevitably take time for the team to bed in. Looking forward to seeing how it pans out.

#everybodyhurst

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Very happy with transfer business... on 08:22 - Aug 10 with 2410 viewsBackToRussia

Very happy with transfer business... on 08:12 - Aug 10 by Herbivore

On the whole I'm happy, quite a few unknowns but we've gone for an exciting strategy and it'll be interesting to see how it pans out. I only have a couple of issues really, the first of which is that we had an unbalanced squad when Hurst arrived and it's still unbalanced, just in different areas. We have lots of midfielders, full backs and versatile forwards but we're lacking centre backs and we're an out and out striker short with Garner leaving late yesterday. That can be rectified by a couple of loans so not too worrying.

Secondly, one thing I was looking forward to this season was seeing the youngsters progress and that looks unlikely to happen now. I can understand Hurst wanting to bring in his own players but the signing of someone like Edun, who looks good to be fair, is an odd one as it directly blocks someone like Nydam and possibly Dozzell and Downes too. I'm not sure he's any better or further along than them. We already had a lot of midfield options so signing Edun, Chalobah and Nolan seems excessive and will hamper our own young prospects. Hopefully a couple of them can get a good quality loan spell under their belt and come back better next year but part of me is sad I won't get to see more of them.

So on the whole lots of reasons to be cheerful but a couple of notes of caution as well. The squad has undergone wholesale changes when arguably what was needed was to augment it in specific areas and it will inevitably take time for the team to bed in. Looking forward to seeing how it pans out.

#everybodyhurst

Agreed.

Tho I think maybe Hurst has been disappointed by Nydam and will probably be loaned out, whereas I think he is going to give Downes and Dozzell games, even if it's 15-20 starts. Long old season.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Very happy with transfer business... on 08:42 - Aug 10 with 2368 viewsVic

Very happy with transfer business... on 08:12 - Aug 10 by Herbivore

#everybodyhurst

Agree with you in all this. We’ll have to see what he has in mind with the youngsters but the possib8lity of not seeing them progress is the one black mark so far for me. I get that if they are good enough they will play, I guess I had sort of assumed that this season would be the breakthrough season for Dozzell, Downes, Cotter, Woolfie and possibly Folami, but now I can’t see that happening - with perhaps the exception of Dozzer and Downes. But maybe the baton will pass from Skuse to one of the youngsters.

Hursts dilemma was that none of these youngsters are ready or fit to play regularly yet, so he needed to get additions in. Having paid for them I expect he’ll want to play them or it would be a total waste of money. The challenge is then for the youngsters to play so well so as to force h8m to choose them.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Very happy with transfer business... on 08:44 - Aug 10 with 2359 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Very happy with transfer business... on 08:42 - Aug 10 by Vic

Agree with you in all this. We’ll have to see what he has in mind with the youngsters but the possib8lity of not seeing them progress is the one black mark so far for me. I get that if they are good enough they will play, I guess I had sort of assumed that this season would be the breakthrough season for Dozzell, Downes, Cotter, Woolfie and possibly Folami, but now I can’t see that happening - with perhaps the exception of Dozzer and Downes. But maybe the baton will pass from Skuse to one of the youngsters.

Hursts dilemma was that none of these youngsters are ready or fit to play regularly yet, so he needed to get additions in. Having paid for them I expect he’ll want to play them or it would be a total waste of money. The challenge is then for the youngsters to play so well so as to force h8m to choose them.

I think a couple of the youngsters will be more regular in the first team by the end of the season. The good thing is that they can break through with less pressure on them. If they perform, they will win and keep their place.

Looks at Hyam and Bish. Relied upon too much and body couldn't take it.

Very happy with transfer business... on 08:49 - Aug 10 with 2349 viewsIpswichKnight

Very happy with transfer business... on 08:22 - Aug 10 by BackToRussia

Agreed.

Tho I think maybe Hurst has been disappointed by Nydam and will probably be loaned out, whereas I think he is going to give Downes and Dozzell games, even if it's 15-20 starts. Long old season.

It was telling with Downes that PH turned down the request from England U19's for Downes and instead wanted him here with the squad for pre-season. I get the impression Downes is the one he rates and will get plenty of games ( now i've said that watch as he goes out on loan in about an hours time! ).

Dozzell is interesting PH definitely rates him but got the impression he wasn't impressed with his fitness, will he get game time over Nolan, probably not as much as think, don't think he will go out on loan as he's a very useful option to have on the bench.

Nydam is interesting I just don't know where his best position is I don't think he's better than either Downes or Dozzell. I think a loan spell would benefit everyone.
Login to get fewer ads

Very happy with transfer business... on 08:50 - Aug 10 with 2341 viewsVic

Very happy with transfer business... on 08:44 - Aug 10 by Marshalls_Mullet

I think a couple of the youngsters will be more regular in the first team by the end of the season. The good thing is that they can break through with less pressure on them. If they perform, they will win and keep their place.

Looks at Hyam and Bish. Relied upon too much and body couldn't take it.

True. My problem with the midfield signings, apart from Nolan, is that I honestly thought that with Huws and Bishop fit we would have a really good midfield and to see this scrapped is disappointing. If what Hurst has done works out then great, hats off the the bloke; if it doesn’t I for one will be left feeling that he didn’t give our own developed youngsters a chance.

Also, I wonder what Brian K feels about his youngsters basically getting sidelined? I wonder if he’s signed up to this complete overhaul. I really hope he is or he could be a another casualty of this massive change.

Very happy with transfer business... on 08:52 - Aug 10 with 2337 viewsDyland

Very happy with transfer business... on 08:22 - Aug 10 by BackToRussia

Agreed.

I'm not so sure about Nydam but Dozzers and Downes can 100% cut it and need games. Don't forget Bishop, when/if fit. Maybe they'll rotate.

Agree with Herbers this is a question mark. I hope it doesn't morph into a black one. Time will tell.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Very happy with transfer business... on 08:53 - Aug 10 with 2334 viewsHerbivore

Very happy with transfer business... on 08:49 - Aug 10 by IpswichKnight

It was telling with Downes that PH turned down the request from England U19's for Downes and instead wanted him here with the squad for pre-season. I get the impression Downes is the one he rates and will get plenty of games ( now i've said that watch as he goes out on loan in about an hours time! ).

Dozzell is interesting PH definitely rates him but got the impression he wasn't impressed with his fitness, will he get game time over Nolan, probably not as much as think, don't think he will go out on loan as he's a very useful option to have on the bench.

Nydam is interesting I just don't know where his best position is I don't think he's better than either Downes or Dozzell. I think a loan spell would benefit everyone.

Nydam's best position is central midfield, based on what I saw of both last season he's a better player than Downes. I think Downes' ability to play in both the holding role and as more of a box to box midfielder is what's given him the edge in Hurst's eyes.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Very happy with transfer business... on 08:54 - Aug 10 with 2327 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Very happy with transfer business... on 08:50 - Aug 10 by Vic

True. My problem with the midfield signings, apart from Nolan, is that I honestly thought that with Huws and Bishop fit we would have a really good midfield and to see this scrapped is disappointing. If what Hurst has done works out then great, hats off the the bloke; if it doesn’t I for one will be left feeling that he didn’t give our own developed youngsters a chance.

Also, I wonder what Brian K feels about his youngsters basically getting sidelined? I wonder if he’s signed up to this complete overhaul. I really hope he is or he could be a another casualty of this massive change.

I don't think the youngsters will be sidelined.

Re Huws and Bishop, would you bet your livelihood on those two being fit? I know I wouldnt.

Very happy with transfer business... on 08:56 - Aug 10 with 2326 viewsCoastalblue

Very happy with transfer business... on 08:50 - Aug 10 by Vic

I don't disagree with what you say there, but from the other side, what odds would you get on both Bishop and Huws both being fit for say a run of 10 games this season?

Bishop has an awful lot to prove in my opinion.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Very happy with transfer business... on 09:06 - Aug 10 with 2303 viewsVic

Very happy with transfer business... on 08:56 - Aug 10 by Coastalblue

I don't disagree with what you say there, but from the other side, what odds would you get on both Bishop and Huws both being fit for say a run of 10 games this season?

Bishop has an awful lot to prove in my opinion.

Agreed. It was a stick or twist decision wasn’t it. He chose to twist, and given their recent injury record I can see why! At the end of the day having such strong competition has to be fbetter for the team doesn’t it, so I can’t complain too much!

Very happy with transfer business... on 09:22 - Aug 10 with 2267 viewsBlueDiamond

Very happy with transfer business... on 09:06 - Aug 10 by Vic

Agreed. It was a stick or twist decision wasn’t it. He chose to twist, and given their recent injury record I can see why! At the end of the day having such strong competition has to be fbetter for the team doesn’t it, so I can’t complain too much!

I can't help but feel that most of us, if offered the option in advance, would not have voted for replacing virtually the whole team with Div 1 players!

Leaving aside whether this works or not (and the odds have to be on the latter) my concern is for our emerging young players.

MM was given all sorts of stick for not playing them, I assumed therefore that they will start to be first team permanents this season - especially Dozzell.

There is not much point in having an Academy if the young players get stalled by buy one get one free Div 1 players.
Very happy with transfer business... on 09:25 - Aug 10 with 2261 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Very happy with transfer business... on 09:22 - Aug 10 by BlueDiamond

I can't help but feel that most of us, if offered the option in advance, would not have voted for replacing virtually the whole team with Div 1 players!

Leaving aside whether this works or not (and the odds have to be on the latter) my concern is for our emerging young players.

MM was given all sorts of stick for not playing them, I assumed therefore that they will start to be first team permanents this season - especially Dozzell.

There is not much point in having an Academy if the young players get stalled by buy one get one free Div 1 players.

Theres no evidence yet that Downed and Dozzell won't get playing time.

They are better off getting 15-20 starts this season than being relied on to play 50 games each.

Very happy with transfer business... on 09:53 - Aug 10 with 2219 viewsbraveblue

ME has just made a £6m profit. Would not get too excited about how well he has done. We have very little cover.
Very happy with transfer business... on 10:18 - Aug 10 with 2184 viewsmrshallisfit

Very happy with transfer business... on 09:53 - Aug 10 by braveblue

ME has just made a £6m profit. Would not get too excited about how well he has done. We have very little cover.

Not sure Id agree with 6M but I agree with you regarding some posters too enthusiastic reaction to ME's contribution over the summer. If some or hopefully all of Hurst's targets end up being successful, then well done him. However, ME will just see some of them as future cash cows. Look at the brilliant piece of business MM did by bringing in Garner and Waghorn. 1.1million transformed into 6-9 million in just 12 months. Great for ME.
Very happy with transfer business... on 10:29 - Aug 10 with 2175 viewsgt81

Very happy with transfer business... on 08:42 - Aug 10 by Vic

I agree, I think we have more competition within the squad instead of having 11 nailed on starters who are practically guaranteed a place in the team when everyone is fit.

Some players won't make it but I think it'll tell Hurst a lot about the players' characters and what his next move will be. Not everyone is cut out to be ultra competitive, and I have no problem with that, it's life, but you wonder why people would choose sports on a professional level if they're not prepared to perform at their best (money excepted of course!)
Very happy with transfer business... on 09:33 - Aug 11 with 2041 viewsBlueDiamond

Very happy with transfer business... on 10:29 - Aug 10 by gt81

I agree, I think we have more competition within the squad instead of having 11 nailed on starters who are practically guaranteed a place in the team when everyone is fit.

Some players won't make it but I think it'll tell Hurst a lot about the players' characters and what his next move will be. Not everyone is cut out to be ultra competitive, and I have no problem with that, it's life, but you wonder why people would choose sports on a professional level if they're not prepared to perform at their best (money excepted of course!)

Can someone explain this to me please......................

On the legendary occasion that MM, having played Cotter, took him off because he thought he was tiring................a section of the ground boo'ed and hissed and gave MM all sorts of abuse.

PH seems hardly to know that he exists, gives no indication of playing him and has bought so many Div 1 players that Cotter's likelihood of getting another game must be small.

Why is that okay but the MM situation was not???
Very happy with transfer business... on 09:42 - Aug 11 with 2019 viewsgt81

Very happy with transfer business... on 09:33 - Aug 11 by BlueDiamond

Can someone explain this to me please......................

On the legendary occasion that MM, having played Cotter, took him off because he thought he was tiring................a section of the ground boo'ed and hissed and gave MM all sorts of abuse.

PH seems hardly to know that he exists, gives no indication of playing him and has bought so many Div 1 players that Cotter's likelihood of getting another game must be small.

Why is that okay but the MM situation was not???

I can only surmise that the Cotter situation was the culmination of frustration over many things happening at the club. When people's patience has gone, it's gone, and every little negative gets picked up on.

Was it fair? No. Is life fair? No.

I don't think Hurst isn't planning to use our youngsters but he wants players in place with league experience to enable rotation, especially with the anticipated fast transitional game he wants us to play. It's going to be physically demanding and that's something that characterises the leagues below us.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2018 9:44]
Very happy with transfer business... on 09:51 - Aug 11 with 1999 viewsBlueDiamond

Very happy with transfer business... on 09:42 - Aug 11 by gt81

I can only surmise that the Cotter situation was the culmination of frustration over many things happening at the club. When people's patience has gone, it's gone, and every little negative gets picked up on.

Was it fair? No. Is life fair? No.

I don't think Hurst isn't planning to use our youngsters but he wants players in place with league experience to enable rotation, especially with the anticipated fast transitional game he wants us to play. It's going to be physically demanding and that's something that characterises the leagues below us.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2018 9:44]

It will be a dreadful shame if we do not get to see our young players develop.

One really has to wonder at the point of an Academy - which many fans have been coerced into help funding - if PH is going to buy from Div 1 and 2.

But as you say, life is not always fair I guess!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024