Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
46 Goals 09:26 - Aug 10 with 4214 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

That is the number of goals that we need to replace this season with the players we have offloaded this summer (Our 5 Leading goalscorers from last season!)

Waghorn - 16
Garner - 10
McGoldrick - 8
Celina - 8
Connolly - 4

I've been impressed by the transfer activity this summer, but looking at it from a purely numbers perspective, or without bias.. it looks like we are in for a struggle. Personally I don't see it like that myself, but I've seen plenty of people make those sort of comments about other clubs (Norwich an example with Maddison & Murphy leaving)

For what it's worth I think we'll see a lot more goalscorers this season with goals being shared around a lot more than they have in years. Hopefully culminating in more than the 57 we got last season.
46 Goals on 09:30 - Aug 10 with 3026 viewsgeg1992

I have no doubt we will score more goals this season. My concern at this moment in time, is the number we will probably concede.

Poll: Who would you play in place of Burns on Sunday?

46 Goals on 09:30 - Aug 10 with 3019 viewschicoazul

Oh no no you're not allowed to do this, this will never do. You are "panicking" or "flouncing" and you need to "chill out" if you start speaking like this. Negativity cannot be tolerated.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

46 Goals on 09:33 - Aug 10 with 2999 viewsTrumptonBlue

The new players have already managed two in one game, so we're well above target. Add in the anticipated contribution from this week's recruits and they should get about 200 between them, I reckon.
46 Goals on 09:33 - Aug 10 with 2997 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

46 Goals on 09:30 - Aug 10 by chicoazul

Oh no no you're not allowed to do this, this will never do. You are "panicking" or "flouncing" and you need to "chill out" if you start speaking like this. Negativity cannot be tolerated.

Garner and Waggy scores 8 goals between them in 2018.

Didz has to leave really and we had no choice re Celina and Connolly.

Idve kept Waggy in an ideal world, but we needed the money.

Let’s wait and see what unfolds.

You thought Waggy was a poor signing, and look how that turned out.

Onwards and upwards. Embrace the unknown.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

46 Goals on 09:36 - Aug 10 with 2955 viewschicoazul

46 Goals on 09:33 - Aug 10 by Marshalls_Mullet

Said it before, my opinion only matters to the likes of you.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

46 Goals on 09:39 - Aug 10 with 2945 viewsBlueDiamond

See I struggle with 'we needed the money' for Waghorn.

What does that actually mean? One assumes that what we 'need' to do is get promoted. Without that ME will be pouring money into a black hole forever.

If ME is not prepared to buy the sort of players who are likely to get us promoted then his aim is surely to keep us in the Championship with the minimum spend possible? The wage bill one assumes must have dropped considerably, so he will be liking that.

What we need is to get promoted. I can't help but think that what has gone on over the last couple of weeks is a very bizarre way of achieving that. But perhaps in the ME empire we are destined to always play the role of tax write off?
[Post edited 10 Aug 2018 9:40]
46 Goals on 09:39 - Aug 10 with 2932 viewsJakeITFC

I'm worried that our defence is a bit crap.
46 Goals on 09:39 - Aug 10 with 2924 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

46 Goals on 09:36 - Aug 10 by chicoazul

Said it before, my opinion only matters to the likes of you.

Just poor judgement of a player by you.

We are all guilty of it from time to time.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Login to get fewer ads

46 Goals on 09:40 - Aug 10 with 2913 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

46 Goals on 09:39 - Aug 10 by BlueDiamond

See I struggle with 'we needed the money' for Waghorn.

What does that actually mean? One assumes that what we 'need' to do is get promoted. Without that ME will be pouring money into a black hole forever.

If ME is not prepared to buy the sort of players who are likely to get us promoted then his aim is surely to keep us in the Championship with the minimum spend possible? The wage bill one assumes must have dropped considerably, so he will be liking that.

What we need is to get promoted. I can't help but think that what has gone on over the last couple of weeks is a very bizarre way of achieving that. But perhaps in the ME empire we are destined to always play the role of tax write off?
[Post edited 10 Aug 2018 9:40]

You’re obviously new to the way the club is run. ;-)

46 Goals on 09:43 - Aug 10 with 2887 viewsLeagueOne

That's actually quite scary when you put it like that. It's not just the goals we've lost, we've lost a lot of experience at this level as well, young and exciting is all well and good but it's also a risk, so we'll have to hope Hurst has it right on these lads and they'll deliver us a mid-table finish at least.

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

46 Goals on 09:47 - Aug 10 with 2852 viewsReuser_is_God

46 Goals on 09:39 - Aug 10 by JakeITFC

I think Nsiala will step up (based on what I saw of him last season) & with Chambers & Knudsen in there who won't let us down we should be okay.

The weak spot is still RB. Hopefully Donacian can solve it.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2018 9:50]

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

46 Goals on 09:49 - Aug 10 with 2829 viewsBlueDiamond

46 Goals on 09:43 - Aug 10 by LeagueOne

That's actually quite scary when you put it like that. It's not just the goals we've lost, we've lost a lot of experience at this level as well, young and exciting is all well and good but it's also a risk, so we'll have to hope Hurst has it right on these lads and they'll deliver us a mid-table finish at least.

Would you define mid-table as success.

Wasn't that what MM was sacked for?
46 Goals on 09:50 - Aug 10 with 2821 viewswkj

On paper it is a worrying concept, but in practice I think we'll be okay. I also worry more about the goals we will let in rather than a lack of goals scored, but you can bet a few players will be feeling raw about the two that went in on Saturday.

Harrison will have no problem scoring with a supporting act right behind him, a lot of his ineffectiveness on saturday was from being isolated and running down blind alleys- though he is lively, and enthusiastic. Jackson has pace as is, but if Hurst and Doig prepare him for reading the game at this level, he can be a real danger this year - especially if both he and Gwion make runs at the same time. Ben Morris when he came on looks like he is capable of scoring a few and was unlucky not to against Blackburn, and Sears is a lovely finisher on his day; he just needs to be played in the right spot.

Also we have to consider the likes of Grant Ward; a player who could well shine for Hurst as he wasn't able to for Mick. Gwion Edwards has shown he can get in dangerous positions and has no reservations having a shot, he just needs to work on his crossing and passing a bit, as he seemed below par in that department at times on Saturday.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2018 9:51]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

46 Goals on 09:51 - Aug 10 with 2810 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

46 Goals on 09:49 - Aug 10 by BlueDiamond

Mid table is a success, as is any finish above our budget.

MM was sacked for dull football and a deteriorating relationship with fans resulting in record low crowds.

I don’t think even MM would disagree that it was time for a change.

Let’s all move on.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2018 9:52]

46 Goals on 09:52 - Aug 10 with 2786 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

46 Goals on 09:50 - Aug 10 by wkj

On paper it is a worrying concept, but in practice I think we'll be okay. I also worry more about the goals we will let in rather than a lack of goals scored, but you can bet a few players will be feeling raw about the two that went in on Saturday.

Harrison will have no problem scoring with a supporting act right behind him, a lot of his ineffectiveness on saturday was from being isolated and running down blind alleys- though he is lively, and enthusiastic. Jackson has pace as is, but if Hurst and Doig prepare him for reading the game at this level, he can be a real danger this year - especially if both he and Gwion make runs at the same time. Ben Morris when he came on looks like he is capable of scoring a few and was unlucky not to against Blackburn, and Sears is a lovely finisher on his day; he just needs to be played in the right spot.

Also we have to consider the likes of Grant Ward; a player who could well shine for Hurst as he wasn't able to for Mick. Gwion Edwards has shown he can get in dangerous positions and has no reservations having a shot, he just needs to work on his crossing and passing a bit, as he seemed below par in that department at times on Saturday.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2018 9:51]

Agreed.

46 Goals on 09:52 - Aug 10 with 2791 viewsmrshallisfit

I smell a clutching of straws in this post.
46 Goals on 09:54 - Aug 10 with 2777 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

46 Goals on 09:52 - Aug 10 by mrshallisfit

Lol, I’m just not a panic merchant like some.

Just call me the pragmatist.

We’ll just have to wait and see how it works out.

Get all chewed up with stress if you like.

Chill out man.

46 Goals on 09:57 - Aug 10 with 2762 viewshype313

46 Goals on 09:52 - Aug 10 by mrshallisfit

I don't see any clutching, perfectly good, reasonable assessment.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

46 Goals on 09:57 - Aug 10 with 2759 viewsdingus

The new lads got 2 at the weekend so we're well on the way!
46 Goals on 09:58 - Aug 10 with 2755 viewsunstableblue

Interesting post and valid concern.

I expect goals from Edwards and Nolan, it’s really whether one or both of our new strikers is going to make the step up into a Championship striker. I’m not expecting both of them to have a 10+ season.

I think Hurst may actually play quite a cautious and deep system as he beds himself into the Championship - as we saw with the 3 defensive minded midfielders who started against ‘lowly’ Blackburn.

We will still pass and move better and mount attacks - so it won’t be the non football of recent times - but we won’t be attacking continually.

The Villa game is going to be a real test of our new players and manager

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

46 Goals on 09:58 - Aug 10 with 2750 viewschicoazul

46 Goals on 09:39 - Aug 10 by JakeITFC

At least we kept Jonas and Bart, for now anyway. Chambers is still good, although he does seem to be creaking a little bit now injury wise. Got to see how Nsiala in particular does as he seems to be the replacement for Smith and Webster.

46 Goals on 09:59 - Aug 10 with 2752 viewswkj

46 Goals on 09:49 - Aug 10 by BlueDiamond

Mick wasn't sacked though, he was told his contract was coming to an end. I know it might seem like the same difference in many ways; but I think it is important to nip things like that in the bud before they become part of folk lore.

Like Mullet said, the contract was ran down because of other deteriorating factors over form.

This is a rebuild, with lots of new players, and the old ones in a system foreign to them, so Mid-table is going to be the success criteria. How will this improve year on year? Well I think Paul will be a regular in the transfer market, he has bought players with resale potential, and if he can get a wedge for a couple each summer, he can start to spend more on higher calibre targets. Also the squad is quite youthful, with plenty of them approaching their peak. As time goes on, the cream will rise to the top and continue to grow, the rest will go the way of JET. Though I cant help but feel Hurst has a keen eye, and will be able to do the job that no one in the media believes we can.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

46 Goals on 10:00 - Aug 10 with 2742 viewsGuthrum

Against that, you could set last season's totals for five of our new recruits:

Jackson 16 (L2)
Harrison 14 (L1)
Nolan 10 (L1)
Edwards 7 (L1)
Roberts 7 (L2)

That's 54 goals there.

Yes, those figures were achieved in lower divisions, but McGoldrick (when fit, not isolated and given a decent level of supply) found it no harder to score in the Championship than he had at Coventry. And there is a 17% margin over the goals we've lost, to compensate for any drop in performance.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

46 Goals on 10:02 - Aug 10 with 2727 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

46 Goals on 09:59 - Aug 10 by wkj

Mick wasn't sacked though, he was told his contract was coming to an end. I know it might seem like the same difference in many ways; but I think it is important to nip things like that in the bud before they become part of folk lore.

Like Mullet said, the contract was ran down because of other deteriorating factors over form.

This is a rebuild, with lots of new players, and the old ones in a system foreign to them, so Mid-table is going to be the success criteria. How will this improve year on year? Well I think Paul will be a regular in the transfer market, he has bought players with resale potential, and if he can get a wedge for a couple each summer, he can start to spend more on higher calibre targets. Also the squad is quite youthful, with plenty of them approaching their peak. As time goes on, the cream will rise to the top and continue to grow, the rest will go the way of JET. Though I cant help but feel Hurst has a keen eye, and will be able to do the job that no one in the media believes we can.

We are agreeing too much lately!!

46 Goals on 10:05 - Aug 10 with 2715 viewsDarth_Koont

Waghorn and Garner had their best Championship return ever it seems. So in theory it would be a mistake to rely on those goals even if they stayed.

In essence we can never rely on goals from the season before anyway.

I'm sure we'll get the goals from somewhere. Just depends on our ability to create more and better chances than we did on Saturday so let's hope that was a one-off due to us not having the balance right and Blackburn being much better organised on the day. Even so we somehow scored 2 goals.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024