Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sam Parkin 10:54 - Aug 10 with 5544 viewssuffolkpoker

People have been talking about him recently, Yesterday he was on Talksport and he was talking about our dealings in the transfer market.
He admitted that the move to Ipswich was to big for him at the time. He was comparing the move to Kayden.

I know they are nothing alike. I would take Kayden over him every day.

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

Sam Parkin on 10:56 - Aug 10 with 5482 viewsSomethingBlue

Let's cool our jets a bit and wait until we have seen these guys play. Too much expectation can, especially in today's warped society, lead very quickly to disappointment and then unjustified anger.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Sam Parkin on 10:57 - Aug 10 with 5475 viewsRadlett_blue

A good example of a promising lower league player (then aged 24) who was unable to make the step up, although he was somewhat hampered by injury.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Sam Parkin on 10:58 - Aug 10 with 5464 viewsBluefish

Sam Parkin was a terrible footballer but more importantly he wasn't enough of an athlete to step up. Jackson should be different but it isn't guaranteed. Parkin was a very very poor version of pitman and even he struggled to make it work properly at this level.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Sam Parkin on 10:58 - Aug 10 with 5468 viewsCurrie10

Would you? At the time, Sam Parkin was an absolute steal - it's just one of them that unfortunately didn't happen at us.

Sure, totally different players - Parkin more a box player, Jackson more pace etc but lets not be disrespectful to Parkin.

The three seasons before joining us, just one level down, he scored 26 / 23 / 24.

Jackson's never done that in his career - and never even played at league one level.

Massive jump this and hope he can step up.
Sam Parkin on 10:58 - Aug 10 with 5472 viewsSWGF

I may be wrong but Swindon were only the league below us when we bought him. Shouldn't have been that big a jump for him (although his inability to jump was one of the reasons he didn't succeed here).

He was just the kind of signing we should have been looking at, at the time. A goal every two matches for Swindon. In theory, on the way up having dropped a couple of divisions to then work his way back.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Sam Parkin on 10:58 - Aug 10 with 5460 viewssuffolkpoker

Sam Parkin on 10:56 - Aug 10 by SomethingBlue

Let's cool our jets a bit and wait until we have seen these guys play. Too much expectation can, especially in today's warped society, lead very quickly to disappointment and then unjustified anger.

My judgement is based on style of play when they was both playing in League 2.

Pace is more suited to the Championship

Sam Parkin on 10:59 - Aug 10 with 5453 viewsSWGF

Sam Parkin on 10:56 - Aug 10 by SomethingBlue

Exactly. Very few players hit the ground running. There are, of course, exceptions....

<cough>Steve Whitton<cough>

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Sam Parkin on 10:59 - Aug 10 with 5451 viewsCurrie10

Sam Parkin on 10:58 - Aug 10 by Bluefish

Sam Parkin was a terrible footballer but more importantly he wasn't enough of an athlete to step up. Jackson should be different but it isn't guaranteed. Parkin was a very very poor version of pitman and even he struggled to make it work properly at this level.

Ermmm Parkin scored goals for fun prior to joining us.

He also as another posted mentioned some very bad injuries with us.

Lets not be disrespectful, looked a terrific bargain at the time.
Login to get fewer ads

Sam Parkin on 11:01 - Aug 10 with 5426 viewssuffolkpoker

Sam Parkin on 10:59 - Aug 10 by SWGF

Exactly. Very few players hit the ground running. There are, of course, exceptions....

<cough>Steve Whitton<cough>

<cough> Ian Marshall<cough>

Sam Parkin on 11:03 - Aug 10 with 5405 viewsBluefish

Sam Parkin on 10:59 - Aug 10 by Currie10

Ermmm Parkin scored goals for fun prior to joining us.

He also as another posted mentioned some very bad injuries with us.

Lets not be disrespectful, looked a terrific bargain at the time.

He lacks movement and literally couldn't jump. He was never going to cut it at this level. There are phenomenal finishers through lower and non league but they can't step up against centre backs at this level

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Sam Parkin on 11:12 - Aug 10 with 5351 viewsagentp

I think (maybe wrong) he was out top scorer at the time of his injury. Don't think he really played for us again after that.

Agree though he was out of his depth with a style not ideally suited to us or level 2

Poll: If only these two were available who would you choose for the rest of the season

Sam Parkin on 11:15 - Aug 10 with 5318 viewsCurrie10

Sam Parkin on 11:03 - Aug 10 by Bluefish

He lacks movement and literally couldn't jump. He was never going to cut it at this level. There are phenomenal finishers through lower and non league but they can't step up against centre backs at this level

Well he's done a bucket tonne in the game more than Jackson at this moment in time.
Sam Parkin on 11:15 - Aug 10 with 5321 viewsKeno

and least we forget he was partnered up front with Nicky Forster

so we had the "Forskin" strikeforce

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Sam Parkin on 11:17 - Aug 10 with 5313 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Sam Parkin on 10:58 - Aug 10 by Currie10

Would you? At the time, Sam Parkin was an absolute steal - it's just one of them that unfortunately didn't happen at us.

Sure, totally different players - Parkin more a box player, Jackson more pace etc but lets not be disrespectful to Parkin.

The three seasons before joining us, just one level down, he scored 26 / 23 / 24.

Jackson's never done that in his career - and never even played at league one level.

Massive jump this and hope he can step up.

Agreed, he had a real track record and pedigree of coming through Chelsea.

His daft haircut didn’t help him, if he’d admitted he was balding and shaved his head, he’dve looked less of a figure of fun.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Sam Parkin on 11:19 - Aug 10 with 5286 viewssuffolkpoker

Sam Parkin on 11:15 - Aug 10 by Currie10

Well he's done a bucket tonne in the game more than Jackson at this moment in time.

I would agree Jackson is not as far through his development than Parkin when he signed.
interestingly both 24 when they signed for us.

Jackson is more raw and with more potential. Parkin never got better after leaving us. His peak was at Swindon.

Sam Parkin on 11:25 - Aug 10 with 5261 viewsLeagueOne

I think people have short memories though. Parkin wasn't great for us by any means but if I recall correctly he started well for us and actually scored a few good goals but then suffered a pretty nasty injury that saw him out for a while and that was that. It also didn't help that Nicky Forster was regularly injured too, but thankfully we signed Alan Lee and were able to recover a bit that season.

As for Kayden Jackson, I remember similar jubilation over the fact we'd signed Parkin at that time too given Parkin had an excellent record with Swindon (something like 70 goals in 3 seasons) and had actually been a product of the Chelsea academy at the time. I don't think Jackson has had 70 goals in his career yet, let alone over three seasons so I wouldn't judge the Parkin move so harshly!

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

Sam Parkin on 12:10 - Aug 10 with 5118 viewsrfretwell

Sam Parkin on 11:25 - Aug 10 by LeagueOne

I think people have short memories though. Parkin wasn't great for us by any means but if I recall correctly he started well for us and actually scored a few good goals but then suffered a pretty nasty injury that saw him out for a while and that was that. It also didn't help that Nicky Forster was regularly injured too, but thankfully we signed Alan Lee and were able to recover a bit that season.

As for Kayden Jackson, I remember similar jubilation over the fact we'd signed Parkin at that time too given Parkin had an excellent record with Swindon (something like 70 goals in 3 seasons) and had actually been a product of the Chelsea academy at the time. I don't think Jackson has had 70 goals in his career yet, let alone over three seasons so I wouldn't judge the Parkin move so harshly!

Parkin is still a huge legend at Swindon and rightly for his goalscoring exploits there. I had a quick chat with him a few months ago when he was doing a talk to primary school staff and children in Mortlake. He said he loved his short stay at Ipswich but had a bad injury and Magilton Subsequently let him go. He's good friends with Magilton though to this day.
Sam Parkin on 12:48 - Aug 10 with 4999 viewsbaxterbasics

Sam Parkin on 11:25 - Aug 10 by LeagueOne

I recall Parkin would regularly score away, but rarely at home, which meant the home crowd never really warmed to him. They're a tougher crowd to please at the best of times.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Sam Parkin on 15:34 - Aug 10 with 4703 viewsChiefXL

Interesting no one mentions he was signed by a manager who had no idea what sort of player he was or had zero idea how to get the best out of him.
Sam Parkin on 15:43 - Aug 10 with 4654 viewsMonkey_Blue

A lot of hindsight wisdom on here. Parkin was scoring a hell of a lot more goals than Jackson before we bought him... I wasn’t over the moon when we signed him but that was more the type of player vs ability.
Sam Parkin on 18:47 - Aug 10 with 4411 viewsSwailsey

A good read this.

Was unlucky for us in many ways. 5 in 22 isn’t awful by any means, especially when you compare him to some who came after.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/sam-parkin-s-time-with-ipswich-town-was-ruined-by-a-

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Sam Parkin on 21:33 - Aug 10 with 4162 viewsstonojnr

he was very much a player that thrived on confidence though, and he got precious little of that at Town, and was often targetted by the crowd if we werent winning, felt sorry for him as the injury clearly unsettled him and a more settled period in towns history might have shown him more patience.

why I think in this case Hirst is probably the best chance for these players stepping up to shine through, he wont discard them immediately, and he'll provide the support they need and be willing to tell the crowd to back off if he needs too.
Sam Parkin on 06:18 - Aug 11 with 3981 viewsacj

Sam Parkin on 18:47 - Aug 10 by Swailsey

A good read this.

Was unlucky for us in many ways. 5 in 22 isn’t awful by any means, especially when you compare him to some who came after.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/sam-parkin-s-time-with-ipswich-town-was-ruined-by-a-

Cheers, enjoyed that.

Poll: Will Town score again this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024