Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Turkish economy crashing as we speak 15:11 - Aug 10 with 6690 viewsm14_blue

Erdogan says Allah will sort it out.

What could go wrong?
Turkish economy crashing as we speak on 15:13 - Aug 10 with 4831 viewsNo9

Turkish economy & English councils - is there a correlation?
Turkish economy crashing as we speak on 15:14 - Aug 10 with 4829 viewschicoazul

Mike Ashley on the phone as we speak putting his offer in.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Turkish economy crashing as we speak on 15:15 - Aug 10 with 4824 viewsKeno

thats a delight

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Turkish economy crashing as we speak on 15:16 - Aug 10 with 4811 viewsMonkey_Blue

Along with the moron Trumps Tarrifs this could push Turkey further towards hardcore Islamic theocracy or lead to a revolution. The problem is that if Erdogan is overthrown and let’s be clear attaturk would spin in his grave if he saw what erdogan was up to, those even more extreme may try to fill the void.
Turkish economy crashing as we speak on 15:16 - Aug 10 with 4802 viewsNo9

Turkish economy crashing as we speak on 15:14 - Aug 10 by chicoazul

Mike Ashley on the phone as we speak putting his offer in.

Councils or Turkey?
Turkish economy crashing as we speak on 15:17 - Aug 10 with 4801 viewshype313

Turkish economy crashing as we speak on 15:15 - Aug 10 by Keno

thats a delight

Turkey's coming home to roost?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Turkish economy crashing as we speak on 15:21 - Aug 10 with 4794 viewsGuthrum

Turkish economy crashing as we speak on 15:16 - Aug 10 by Monkey_Blue

Along with the moron Trumps Tarrifs this could push Turkey further towards hardcore Islamic theocracy or lead to a revolution. The problem is that if Erdogan is overthrown and let’s be clear attaturk would spin in his grave if he saw what erdogan was up to, those even more extreme may try to fill the void.

If Erdogan falls, then most likely the army would step in "to restore order". The imprisoned officers would be released and it would be back to business as normal.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Turkish economy crashing as we speak on 15:24 - Aug 10 with 4765 viewshype313

Turkish economy crashing as we speak on 15:21 - Aug 10 by Guthrum

If Erdogan falls, then most likely the army would step in "to restore order". The imprisoned officers would be released and it would be back to business as normal.

Didn't see the latest election results, but presume he's still incredibly popular?

Notwithstanding the whiff of fraud around the elections.

Login to get fewer ads

Turkish economy crashing as we speak on 15:28 - Aug 10 with 4735 viewschicoazul

Turkish economy crashing as we speak on 15:16 - Aug 10 by No9

Councils or Turkey?

On a related somewhat topic, I believe we will see a council completely privatised within the next 10 years.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Turkish economy crashing as we speak on 15:31 - Aug 10 with 4720 viewsGuthrum

Turkish economy crashing as we speak on 15:24 - Aug 10 by hype313

Didn't see the latest election results, but presume he's still incredibly popular?

Notwithstanding the whiff of fraud around the elections.

He's most popular in rural areas and, to an extent, in Ankara. Much less so in Istanbul and the western coastal cities.

Turkish economy crashing as we speak on 15:36 - Aug 10 with 4698 viewsAbBlue

Over there at the minute. 6.4 when arrived and over 8 now. Shame changed most cash at the start!
Turkish economy crashing as we speak on 15:44 - Aug 10 with 4665 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Turkish economy crashing as we speak on 15:21 - Aug 10 by Guthrum

Not sure about that. More often than not when a Muslim country has a revolution the extreme form of Islam either takes control or fills much of the void when nobody is in control.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Turkish economy crashing as we speak on 15:47 - Aug 10 with 4645 viewslukey130490

Turkish economy crashing as we speak on 15:36 - Aug 10 by AbBlue

Over there at the minute. 6.4 when arrived and over 8 now. Shame changed most cash at the start!

Im heading out there in a month, are things more expensive out there as well to compensate for the lira against the pound?
Turkish economy crashing as we speak on 15:48 - Aug 10 with 4639 viewshype313

Turkish economy crashing as we speak on 15:47 - Aug 10 by lukey130490

Im heading out there in a month, are things more expensive out there as well to compensate for the lira against the pound?

I'm off there mid sept too, hopefully I'll be able to buy a kebab for 30p

Turkish economy crashing as we speak on 15:57 - Aug 10 with 4590 viewsAbBlue

Turkish economy crashing as we speak on 15:47 - Aug 10 by lukey130490

Yeah, there's a bit of that for sure. We know people who live here and the local shop tried charging them more for their dog food today. Some bars (not where we are) are pricing their drinks in GBP or EUR as well, which takes the pee a bit. However, taxis and bars local to us have remained fairly static (15 for bottle of Efes). Can see things changing though as they are expecting to hit 9 or 10 by end of season.

You'll still enjoy as a great place
Turkish economy crashing as we speak on 16:00 - Aug 10 with 4572 viewsNo9

Turkish economy crashing as we speak on 15:28 - Aug 10 by chicoazul

On a related somewhat topic, I believe we will see a council completely privatised within the next 10 years.

& be in even deeper kaka
Turkish economy crashing as we speak on 16:06 - Aug 10 with 4551 viewslukey130490

Turkish economy crashing as we speak on 15:57 - Aug 10 by AbBlue

Yeah, there's a bit of that for sure. We know people who live here and the local shop tried charging them more for their dog food today. Some bars (not where we are) are pricing their drinks in GBP or EUR as well, which takes the pee a bit. However, taxis and bars local to us have remained fairly static (15 for bottle of Efes). Can see things changing though as they are expecting to hit 9 or 10 by end of season.

Thanks, thats good to know! Might hold off for a week or so before getting my Lira then.
Heading to Bodrum, and looking forward to a well needed break!
Turkish economy crashing as we speak on 16:15 - Aug 10 with 4532 viewsHennikerBlu

Turkish economy crashing as we speak on 15:44 - Aug 10 by The_Last_Baron

Not sure about that. More often than not when a Muslim country has a revolution the extreme form of Islam either takes control or fills much of the void when nobody is in control.

Guthrum has a point, the army was designed to be as secular as possible by Ataturk, essentially a buffer to extremism, it was Erdogan's oppression against secularism, especially in relation to the press that caused the army to rise, the surprise for the army was his popularity.

However, Erdogan seems to have removed all (known) non-loyal army officers and this has significantly weakened his opposition. So I personally cannot see change anytime soon. Whether it will see extremism dominate is debateable (in the full sense of the word as you could be right). I have always seen Turkey as the most modern Moslem country, for example, by having a separation between religious law and secular law.

I hope we see a return to Ataturk's ideals.
Turkish economy crashing as we speak on 16:18 - Aug 10 with 4517 viewsHennikerBlu

Turkish economy crashing as we speak on 16:00 - Aug 10 by No9

& be in even deeper kaka

Is that in the Anatolian mountains?
Turkish economy crashing as we speak on 16:18 - Aug 10 with 4521 viewsStokieBlue

Some interesting goings on with regards to Turkey today. Trump doubled tariffs on their metal imports today and that coupled with the fact that the mad Ergodan decided to make his son-in-law finance minister has sent the currency into freefall.

It was down 20% earlier, down about 15% now but still the biggest one day currency fall in 20 years.

Erogdan is currently giving a textbook display on how to destroy a great country. It's pretty horrible. He's just made an announcement telling citizens to convert their foreign currencies to Lira and apparently had a call to Putin earlier.

I suspect Turkey are going to be moving further away from the west and NATO.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Turkish economy crashing as we speak on 16:27 - Aug 10 with 4492 viewsHennikerBlu

Turkish economy crashing as we speak on 16:18 - Aug 10 by StokieBlue

Some interesting goings on with regards to Turkey today. Trump doubled tariffs on their metal imports today and that coupled with the fact that the mad Ergodan decided to make his son-in-law finance minister has sent the currency into freefall.

It was down 20% earlier, down about 15% now but still the biggest one day currency fall in 20 years.

Erogdan is currently giving a textbook display on how to destroy a great country. It's pretty horrible. He's just made an announcement telling citizens to convert their foreign currencies to Lira and apparently had a call to Putin earlier.

SB

Sadly spot on! Perhaps the goings on the borders have encouraged religious extremism coupled with the Kurdish problem; not to excuse Erdogan. It is horrible to watch, until now, it has been respected country by most in the UK in the context of visiting and the people you meet.

Is it worth pondering whether Trump wants to unsettle it further after the US refused to handover Fethullah Gulen?
Turkish economy crashing as we speak on 16:42 - Aug 10 with 4426 viewsTractorWood

Turkish economy crashing as we speak on 15:57 - Aug 10 by AbBlue

Have heard it's consistently great. Reminds me of Cambodia, pay for stuff in dollars and they give you change in the local currency.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Turkish economy crashing as we speak on 16:56 - Aug 10 with 4375 viewsGuthrum

Turkey is not a "normal" Muslim country in that respect. As Henniker mentioned, the modern nation was very firmly established on principles of secularism by the still-revered Kemal Ataturk. That's why it uses the Roman alphabet and has (or had) very Western governmental systems. They have always seen themselves as more heirs of the Byzantine Empire than their distant Turkic origins or as desert Arabs.

There is nothing like, for example, the Wahabism which underlies the Saudi regime, the Shi'a-Sunni divide in Iraq, or the simmering Senussi situation in Libya.

Turkish economy crashing as we speak on 16:59 - Aug 10 with 4358 viewsGuthrum

Turkish economy crashing as we speak on 16:18 - Aug 10 by StokieBlue

SB

It's been going that direction for a while. Not helped by the EU's reaction to his less democratic measures (and the treatened reintroduction of the death penalty), plus a need for allies (and money) from somewhere which isn't Iran or the Saudis.

Turkish economy crashing as we speak on 17:04 - Aug 10 with 4347 viewsm14_blue

No chance.

Erdogan is the Islamist leader. It's not like elsewhere when a brutal secular dictator has been deposed.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024