Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How Many Points? 13:45 - Aug 13 with 3879 viewsJimmyJazz

When Jewell left, how many points did we have from how many games?

Think the first aim this season is to ensure we better that tally

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

How Many Points? on 13:50 - Aug 13 with 2986 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Not relevant.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

How Many Points? on 13:51 - Aug 13 with 2990 viewsGuthrum

Seven from 13. But that was with a disintegrating team, not a rebuilding one. We started 2012-13 with a draw and a win (away at Watford, of all places), then got just three more draws before Jewell left. This time we want to be ramping up.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2018 13:52]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

How Many Points? on 13:53 - Aug 13 with 2963 viewsJimmyJazz

How Many Points? on 13:50 - Aug 13 by Marshalls_Mullet

Not relevant.

How so? It would be a good yardstick in my view.

How Many Points? on 13:54 - Aug 13 with 2951 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

How Many Points? on 13:53 - Aug 13 by JimmyJazz

How so? It would be a good yardstick in my view.

Well it was a poor record, and would still be a poor record.

I just don't see the point in using it as a reference.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

How Many Points? on 13:55 - Aug 13 with 2951 viewsJimmyJazz

How Many Points? on 13:51 - Aug 13 by Guthrum

Seven from 13. But that was with a disintegrating team, not a rebuilding one. We started 2012-13 with a draw and a win (away at Watford, of all places), then got just three more draws before Jewell left. This time we want to be ramping up.

So if we manage another 7 points from the next 11 games we'll be doing better than the worst season start we had in this league. As i said it's a yardstick and we should be able to achieve it

How Many Points? on 13:58 - Aug 13 with 2941 viewsReuser_is_God

Jewell actually left us with a group of players that were half decent, it was his lack of tactical awareness that cost him big time.

Henderson
Chambers
Smith
Cresswell
N'Daw
Edwards
Murphy
Campbell

That's the nucleus of a competitive Championship side.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

How Many Points? on 13:59 - Aug 13 with 2935 viewshomer_123

How Many Points? on 13:55 - Aug 13 by JimmyJazz

So if we manage another 7 points from the next 11 games we'll be doing better than the worst season start we had in this league. As i said it's a yardstick and we should be able to achieve it

I see what you are saying but I think Guthers point stands.

The starting position for us is actually much higher now - if that was the return, it would be poor even against that yardstick.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

How Many Points? on 14:03 - Aug 13 with 2910 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

How Many Points? on 13:58 - Aug 13 by Reuser_is_God

Jewell actually left us with a group of players that were half decent, it was his lack of tactical awareness that cost him big time.

Henderson
Chambers
Smith
Cresswell
N'Daw
Edwards
Murphy
Campbell

Am I right in thinking 4 of those were loanees?

To be fair, they were pretty good loans.

Login to get fewer ads

How Many Points? on 14:04 - Aug 13 with 2907 viewsJimmyJazz

How Many Points? on 13:59 - Aug 13 by homer_123

The starting position for us is actually much higher now - if that was the return, it would be poor even against that yardstick.

Yes, but turning it around, what if after 13 games we had less than 7 points?

Different circumstances in the team's development - sure.

How Many Points? on 14:05 - Aug 13 with 2898 viewshomer_123

How Many Points? on 14:04 - Aug 13 by JimmyJazz

Yes, but turning it around, what if after 13 games we had less than 7 points?

Different circumstances in the team's development - sure.

I would simply be judging Hurst on its own merits and not against Mick, Jewell, Keane or any other previous manager, personally.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

How Many Points? on 14:05 - Aug 13 with 2900 viewsBlueDiamond

How Many Points? on 13:59 - Aug 13 by homer_123

It seems to be the 'house view' that one should not judge PH by any criteria whatsoever and rely on hope! :)

To be fair if this has ever happened before, I cannot remember it - replacing virtually the entire squad with players the manger likes from lower divisions.

We can't even use the first couple of games because a) they are still getting to know one another and b) we are playing pretty football which seems currently to take precedence over goals.

We need one of those flashy things from Men In Black to erase all our memories and then we will think this is normal!
How Many Points? on 14:20 - Aug 13 with 2858 viewsGuthrum

How Many Points? on 13:58 - Aug 13 by Reuser_is_God

Henderson
Chambers
Smith
Cresswell
N'Daw
Edwards
Murphy
Campbell

It was disintegrating more in terms of morale and cohesiveness than individual player quality. We got into a losing mentality, where everybody was just looking for the next mistake to come. Paul Jewell was not the man to shake them out of that, lay down the law and get the team performing again.

For the current squad, it's just a matter of tuning up the tactics, getting the players to know each other and, in many cases, adjusting to a new division. I do not see any lack of enthusiasm, positive thinking or determination. Morale is a lot stronger in the team than it seems to be among some sections of the fans.

How Many Points? on 14:23 - Aug 13 with 2835 viewsJimmyJazz

How Many Points? on 14:05 - Aug 13 by BlueDiamond

It seems to be the 'house view' that one should not judge PH by any criteria whatsoever and rely on hope! :)

To be fair if this has ever happened before, I cannot remember it - replacing virtually the entire squad with players the manger likes from lower divisions.

We can't even use the first couple of games because a) they are still getting to know one another and b) we are playing pretty football which seems currently to take precedence over goals.

We need one of those flashy things from Men In Black to erase all our memories and then we will think this is normal!

Don't recall it ever having been done before. It's a massive gamble that could go horribly wrong. The fans do need to be patient, but at what stage should we be concerned? After 13 games when we have less than 7 points?

How Many Points? on 15:48 - Aug 13 with 2724 viewsPendejo

How Many Points? on 14:20 - Aug 13 by Guthrum

It was disintegrating more in terms of morale and cohesiveness than individual player quality. We got into a losing mentality, where everybody was just looking for the next mistake to come. Paul Jewell was not the man to shake them out of that, lay down the law and get the team performing again.

For the current squad, it's just a matter of tuning up the tactics, getting the players to know each other and, in many cases, adjusting to a new division. I do not see any lack of enthusiasm, positive thinking or determination. Morale is a lot stronger in the team than it seems to be among some sections of the fans.

Simply playing Devil's Advocate... IF, big IF, the run is similar to Keane Season 1 or Jewell sacking season... how long before morale and cohesiveness disintegrates?

Maybe players pushed out or back start sniping etc.

For me it's all around the strikers scoring goals, once they've got a couple each confidence gets boosted, morale gets boosted etc.

But I think we need to play 2 up front to get to that point.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

How Many Points? on 16:18 - Aug 13 with 2637 viewsmrshallisfit

How Many Points? on 15:48 - Aug 13 by Pendejo

Simply playing Devil's Advocate... IF, big IF, the run is similar to Keane Season 1 or Jewell sacking season... how long before morale and cohesiveness disintegrates?

For me it's all around the strikers scoring goals, once they've got a couple each confidence gets boosted, morale gets boosted etc.

They are the only two we have.
How Many Points? on 16:29 - Aug 13 with 2612 viewsJimmyJazz

During the Arsenal v Man City game yesterday a discussion started about how Emery won't change his philosophy, he'll change the players instead.

See PH in the same mould - he plays one up top and I don't see him changing that.

The 3 behind the main striker need to ensure the one up top isn't isolated. It will come, but may take time. Nolan is used to the style of play, Edwards is contributing well. Just need Ward / Jackson / Sears on the other flank to get into the style of play

How Many Points? on 17:09 - Aug 13 with 2565 viewsKeaneish

How Many Points? on 16:29 - Aug 13 by JimmyJazz

During the Arsenal v Man City game yesterday a discussion started about how Emery won't change his philosophy, he'll change the players instead.

See PH in the same mould - he plays one up top and I don't see him changing that.

The 3 behind the main striker need to ensure the one up top isn't isolated. It will come, but may take time. Nolan is used to the style of play, Edwards is contributing well. Just need Ward / Jackson / Sears on the other flank to get into the style of play

Pretty sure Ward and Sears know exactly what's expected of them given they both played that role under MM many, many times.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

How Many Points? on 17:11 - Aug 13 with 2563 viewsVic

How Many Points? on 14:20 - Aug 13 by Guthrum

Guthers, I'd suggest that if we only have 7 points after 13 games that we'll be on the verge of a full blown crisis of moral in the current team! If Jewels squad lost confidence with their amount of experience then I don't hold out much hope for the present bunch we have! Enthusiasm is one thing when you sign for a new club, but if you're a forward and don't score goals and the team continues to struggle even though you're trying your hardest, that's not a good situation is it!

I'm very disappointed at the amount of negativity that some fans are showing. I do personally have my concerns at what Hurst has done, I am genuinely concerned that he may have cut to deep too soon, but for me it's really too soon to know whether those concerns are justified or not. Give it a couple of months then we can start to draw conclusions as we see stats evening out, etc.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

How Many Points? on 19:38 - Aug 13 with 2468 viewsGuthrum

Keane's first full season is a much better parrallel than Jewell's last few months - and I can see it being something like the former. A slow, laboured start, then things pick up after the half-way point.

How Many Points? on 19:53 - Aug 13 with 2439 viewsDarth_Koont

A team that was also ridiculously expensive in wages and with little to no cover in the squad or kids coming through. We also had a pretty rubbish end of season before that and some very poor runs of form before that too.

We weren't in great shape structurally as a team let alone the poor run of 7 points from 13. At the very least under PH, I can't see us getting overpowered and outfought that much, if at all.

Pronouns: He/Him

How Many Points? on 19:57 - Aug 13 with 2427 viewsCoastalblue

Blimey, we've only played two games?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

How Many Points? on 20:22 - Aug 13 with 2385 viewsA90sblue

How Many Points? on 19:57 - Aug 13 by Coastalblue

Blimey, we've only played two games?

Exactly!

Seem to remember Fulham having a very slow start last season!
How Many Points? on 20:23 - Aug 13 with 2384 viewsElderGrizzly

And what went before those 13 games? It was a combination of that and the rest of his reign, not just those games in isolation.

Hurst will get 2 or 3 years here i’d assume
How Many Points? on 20:25 - Aug 13 with 2380 viewsTrequartista

How Many Points? on 20:23 - Aug 13 by ElderGrizzly

And what went before those 13 games? It was a combination of that and the rest of his reign, not just those games in isolation.

Hurst will get 2 or 3 years here i’d assume

He won as many games as he lost before those 13 games. Hardly disastrous compared to, say, last season

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

How Many Points? on 20:27 - Aug 13 with 2376 viewsm14_blue

We've lost 1 game, away from home, undeservedly, in the last minute.

What the hell is wrong with everyone???*

*Obviously not everyone but more than a few.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024