Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Never been a fan of one upfront 05:39 - Aug 15 with 1626 viewsTractorBoyOlly

Is Hurst insistent with this from previous clubs does anyone know? It's the kind of formation you line up when visiting Manchester City on the last day of the season hoping that a point will keep you up. I know we need to give the team time but surely we need a bit more support up top.

Poll: Final points total?

Never been a fan of one upfront on 10:01 - Aug 15 with 1501 viewsTractorBoyOlly

Any chance of a striker on loan before Saturday?

Never been a fan of one upfront on 10:02 - Aug 15 with 1497 viewsBurwell_Blue

This is the key point.

A move to 4-4-2 has to be on the cards soon.
Never been a fan of one upfront on 10:05 - Aug 15 with 1482 viewsSuperfrans

He is, he played that way all last season with the Shrews. Also worth pointing out that it took time for the system to work there too. Maybe we're going through the same growing pains.

I've read a fair bit of "we should go two upfront" in the past few days. I would imagine that's unlikely, given Hurst's past record - he's more likely to continue working with his attacking midfield players to support Harrison or Jackson more, than totally change his formation/approach.

Nolan presumably already fit into the system at Shrewsbury, while both Sears and Ward should be capable of supporting the attack more. Looking at Edwards, you'd think the same is true of him too.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Never been a fan of one upfront on 10:17 - Aug 15 with 1460 viewsDarth_Koont

Even if Man City are themselves playing one up top and they're looking for 3 points?

All teams need support and numbers getting forward when they attack, whether it's 1, 2 or 3 up top. That's still to come consistently from Nolan, Edwards and Ward behind Jackson or Harrison.

In any case, I don't think we have the players for a partnership up front (presumably we'd want someone who can play with his back to goal or be a target man). So we either use the loan system to create a new system or we use it to strengthen the current one. Personally, I'd prefer us to keep our focus and not start fudging it straightaway.

Pronouns: He/Him

Never been a fan of one upfront on 10:20 - Aug 15 with 1441 viewshype313

Never been a fan of one upfront on 10:05 - Aug 15 by Superfrans

He is, he played that way all last season with the Shrews. Also worth pointing out that it took time for the system to work there too. Maybe we're going through the same growing pains.

I've read a fair bit of "we should go two upfront" in the past few days. I would imagine that's unlikely, given Hurst's past record - he's more likely to continue working with his attacking midfield players to support Harrison or Jackson more, than totally change his formation/approach.

Nolan presumably already fit into the system at Shrewsbury, while both Sears and Ward should be capable of supporting the attack more. Looking at Edwards, you'd think the same is true of him too.

Also worth noting, if he was keen to play 4-4-2 then the chances are he would have done his best to keep Waghorn.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Never been a fan of one upfront on 10:58 - Aug 15 with 1397 viewsTractorBoyOlly

Never been a fan of one upfront on 10:20 - Aug 15 by hype313

Also worth noting, if he was keen to play 4-4-2 then the chances are he would have done his best to keep Waghorn.

And Garner... Chortle

Never been a fan of one upfront on 11:00 - Aug 15 with 1389 viewsitfcjoe

Think this becomes point when we may begin to realise real quality costs - whislt Celina was inconsistent last year players like him, Lawrence and Fraser need to be the attacking wingers. Not Grant Ward or Freddie Sears.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Never been a fan of one upfront on 11:35 - Aug 15 with 1328 viewsSuperfrans

Never been a fan of one upfront on 11:00 - Aug 15 by itfcjoe

Think this becomes point when we may begin to realise real quality costs - whislt Celina was inconsistent last year players like him, Lawrence and Fraser need to be the attacking wingers. Not Grant Ward or Freddie Sears.

I think it's too early to reach that conclusion. It's certainly too early to say whether Edweards, Nolan and Ward have the quality to make a system like this, or whether Harrison/Jackson can step up.

All of this is a bit suck it and see. We'll only know in time whether this all works. The question is how we respond as we all learn this and whether we have the patience required to see it through.

Login to get fewer ads

Never been a fan of one upfront on 11:37 - Aug 15 with 1320 viewshype313

Never been a fan of one upfront on 11:35 - Aug 15 by Superfrans

I think it's too early to reach that conclusion. It's certainly too early to say whether Edweards, Nolan and Ward have the quality to make a system like this, or whether Harrison/Jackson can step up.

All of this is a bit suck it and see. We'll only know in time whether this all works. The question is how we respond as we all learn this and whether we have the patience required to see it through.

Joe does have a point, Sears has had a couple of seasons on the wing, and whilst it's not his natural position, the players Joe outlined are far superior in that respect.

Never been a fan of one upfront on 11:43 - Aug 15 with 1292 viewsSuperfrans

Never been a fan of one upfront on 11:37 - Aug 15 by hype313

Joe does have a point, Sears has had a couple of seasons on the wing, and whilst it's not his natural position, the players Joe outlined are far superior in that respect.

Indeed, they are, but it's clearly not the case that you need to have wingers like Fraser, Lawrence, Celina etc to win games in this division. Besides which, from what I've seen of him so far, Edwards is as good as any of those outlined (with the possible exception of Lawrence).

You only have to look at the likes of Millwall, Preston, Sheff United etc and Hudderfield in previous seasons, to see that you don't need a string of Premiership players to make a fist of it in the Championship. I havem't seen enough of the new players to reach a judgment yet, but from those I have seen (coupled with some of the reports) the likes of Chalobah, Edwards, Edun, Nolan, Nsiala, are all looking likely to be good enough for the Championship. For me, the jury's out on Harrison and Jackson (who I haven't seen).

Never been a fan of one upfront on 11:44 - Aug 15 with 1288 viewshype313

Never been a fan of one upfront on 11:43 - Aug 15 by Superfrans

Indeed, they are, but it's clearly not the case that you need to have wingers like Fraser, Lawrence, Celina etc to win games in this division. Besides which, from what I've seen of him so far, Edwards is as good as any of those outlined (with the possible exception of Lawrence).

You only have to look at the likes of Millwall, Preston, Sheff United etc and Hudderfield in previous seasons, to see that you don't need a string of Premiership players to make a fist of it in the Championship. I havem't seen enough of the new players to reach a judgment yet, but from those I have seen (coupled with some of the reports) the likes of Chalobah, Edwards, Edun, Nolan, Nsiala, are all looking likely to be good enough for the Championship. For me, the jury's out on Harrison and Jackson (who I haven't seen).

Good points on the teams you mention, Can't disagree with that Frans.

Never been a fan of one upfront on 12:10 - Aug 15 with 1249 viewsTractorBoyOlly

Never been a fan of one upfront on 11:37 - Aug 15 by hype313

4-4-2 is crying out with Sears upfront and Edwards/Rowe/Ward/Roberts on the wings.

Never been a fan of one upfront on 14:08 - Aug 15 with 1169 viewsitfcjoe

Never been a fan of one upfront on 11:35 - Aug 15 by Superfrans

I really like Edwards and deliberately didn't mention him - but outside of him we have Ward, Sears, Rowe and Roberts and I'm not sure any of those will be able to score and create consistently by beating their man as is required.

I actually think Rowe might be the best bet out of them as is the most natural dribbler and tends to make things happen and turn defenders

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

on 14:10 - Aug 15 with 1155 views_

Never been a fan of one upfront on 14:08 - Aug 15 by itfcjoe

I really like Edwards and deliberately didn't mention him - but outside of him we have Ward, Sears, Rowe and Roberts and I'm not sure any of those will be able to score and create consistently by beating their man as is required.

I actually think Rowe might be the best bet out of them as is the most natural dribbler and tends to make things happen and turn defenders

Never been a fan of one upfront on 14:53 - Aug 15 with 1114 viewsPilgrimblue

If that's his system then Harrison isn't good enough in that role. He'll get no joy from better CBs unless of course we play it on the deck!
We've lost 40+ goals and I don't think either strikers will get anywhere near enough. IT feels to m,e that PH has panic buyed and should perhaps have got better mix say one or two with Championship experience. Even so he wouldn't have had much more time to get squad working together.
Never been a fan of one upfront on 15:11 - Aug 15 with 1085 viewsSuperfrans

on 14:10 - Aug 15 by _

Important not to rule out any of these players. Don't forget, Hurst took two players from the non-leagues (Nolan and Nsiala) and turned them into two of the best players in league 1 last season. Sometimes it just takes an individual to have confidence in you, put an arm round the shoulder, a bit of coaching and belief etc.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024