Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Something worth bearing in mind 13:23 - Aug 15 with 2148 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

In 1995 I witnessed one of the worst Ipswich Town performances in a cup match that I have ever seen.

As we walked out of the ground and headed towards the Newt and Cucumber as I think it was called at the time, there were two blokes in discussion about the worst Ipswich Town debut they had ever seen. I joined in their conversation and it stuck with me because of what happened over the next few years.

The conversation centred around one player in particular. Some quite unflattering comments were made, what you'd now call politically incorrect, about this individual and the country they came from, one that our history with made it easier for these two blokes to have a dig at this guy.

I did not share their frankly offensive views on the players nationality but I found it hard to disagree with how poor this player looked, how completely out of his depth he was. Perhaps he had claimed to be a cousin of George Weah? (some of you will get that reference).

The match in question?

'First Division Bolton entered the competition in the second round, where they faced Premier League team Ipswich Town. The first leg, held at Ipswich's home ground Portman Road, was won 3—0 by Bolton'.

The player in question?

'In September 1994, Mauricio Taricco joined Ipswich Town for around £150,000 after then Ipswich Town manager John Lyall looked for new players in South America'.

'Taricco made his debut in a League Cup match which ended as a 3—0 home loss against Bolton Wanderers, playing the whole match in his sole appearance of the season, which saw Ipswich Town was relegated from Premier League'.

'On 26 August 1995, Taricco played his first league match under manager George Burley, who replace Lyall midway in the previous season. The match against West Bromwich Albion ended 0—0. He quickly made an impression as a solid defender blessed with immaculate passing ability and considerable attacking flair, and he went on to make 47 appearances that season'.

'Taricco continued his good form at the start of 1998—99, which included a spectacular goal following a run from inside his own half against Crystal Palace on 3 October 1998. He caught the attention of Tottenham Hotspur, whose bid of £1.775m Ipswich found impossible to refuse'.

One of my favourite players of all time in fact. A man who I criticised over a few pints after one of the worst debuts in one of the worst cup defeats I can recall. We were pathetic. He was pathetic. He didn't appear again all season he was that bad, not even in a terrible side that was relegated.

At the time of joining us Taricco had made just a coupe of dozen senior appearances in professional football in Argentina. Yet that following season he was immense, he went on to win a Player of the Year award, was almost ever present for four seasons as we continually reached the play offs and went on to become a Town legend. I was gutted when he left for the Premier League, becoming a regular for a decent Spurs team.

If you'd have offered me odds of 1,000-1 that night in the Newt and Cucumber that he would ever make a single Premier League appearance, even for us if we got a dozen injuries, I would have stuck my quid in the fruit machine instead of taking that bet. The only 'legendary' status he was heading for was that later awarded to the likes of Mark Fish.

If TWTD and social media were around the lad would have been ripped to pieces and quite possibly have returned to Argentina as soon as possible.

An important lesson on why we must support players and give them every opportunity to settle in, find their feet and show us what they can do. Some will thrive, some won't be up to the task. But you can be fairly certain that none of them will ever find their true potential if people write them off and are on their backs from the start.

Another full back, Janoi Donacien, has already been subject to at least one thread suggesting we may be able to get out of signing him. However bad you think he has been thus far, and I don't think he's looked terrible by any means, he looks like Cafu compared to the early sighting of our much loved Treacle.
[Post edited 15 Aug 2018 14:19]

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Something worth bearing in mind on 13:46 - Aug 15 with 2031 viewsbritbiker

Loved Tarrico and he had a real dirty side to him as well. Nodge fans hated him as he was a real wind up merchant.
Something worth bearing in mind on 13:52 - Aug 15 with 2001 viewssticklegs

A very good read. You’re quiet right about his performance in that match. I then saw him rapidly progress over the course of that season into a fantastic player, whilst playing for the reserves, who played their home matches at Ram Meadow that season.
Something worth bearing in mind on 14:05 - Aug 15 with 1971 viewsFtnfwest

remember treacle in that game, but also remember one moment where he did a sort of forward moving cruyff turn on their winger and left him for dead (unless that was his first game under burley you also mention?) Thought then that if we held onto him he'd come good.
Something worth bearing in mind on 14:11 - Aug 15 with 1944 viewsSteve_M

Ali Dia played his one game for Southampton in November 1996 so you've made that part up.

And you really could have made the point that Taricco had a poor debut but went on to be excellent for us in about 20% of that verbiage.

I wonder what your previous username was.....

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Something worth bearing in mind on 14:18 - Aug 15 with 1907 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Something worth bearing in mind on 14:11 - Aug 15 by Steve_M

Ali Dia played his one game for Southampton in November 1996 so you've made that part up.

And you really could have made the point that Taricco had a poor debut but went on to be excellent for us in about 20% of that verbiage.

My apologies Steve. Perhaps I was not completely clear.

The reference to Alli Dia was not made on the evening in question. We did not sit there at the time referencing a person that was yet to enter our lives.

I am talking retrospectively that at the time we considered Taricco could just as easily have been an imposter, someone who had blagged his way into playing in a professional match. Much like Alli Dia when he arrived on the scene claiming to be a cousin of George Weah. Not that he must physically have introduced himself to John Lyall in the manner that someone else went on to introduce themselves to Graeme Souness.
[Post edited 15 Aug 2018 14:20]

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Something worth bearing in mind on 14:49 - Aug 15 with 1815 viewsHarry_Palmer

Something worth bearing in mind on 14:11 - Aug 15 by Steve_M

Any need to be so hostile to a decent post making a valid point?

Strange.
Something worth bearing in mind on 16:51 - Aug 15 with 1686 viewsScuzzer

Great post. Being a guy from overseas Treacle was given the task to adapt to a totally different lifestyle and footballing style as well....I think he came over with Mr Paz did he not. Paz made it into the team in a very short time span...and then faded into nothing...Treacle had to bide his time....it took a whole season for him to get regular starts. The thing is we now live in different times and players no longer have the luxury of being given an extended development period. That's why PL teams buy off the peg...cant have the time to develop players any more.

Established 1968

John Wark's first game in midfield for Town on 17:10 - Aug 15 with 1629 viewsjungleboy

In October 1976 I went to Upton Park to see the Town play West Ham. It was the first game John Wark played midfield for us (his small number of previous appearances were at centre back). We won 2-0 with both goals from a brilliant Clive Woods.

But John Wark had a really poor game. As we walked back from the game I said to my brother that I couldn't see John Wark playing midfield for the Town again. How wrong I was - he got 10 goals that season and so many more afterwards.

So let's have patience with the new team....
Login to get fewer ads

John Wark's first game in midfield for Town on 17:28 - Aug 15 with 1568 viewsrfretwell

John Wark's first game in midfield for Town on 17:10 - Aug 15 by jungleboy

In October 1976 I went to Upton Park to see the Town play West Ham. It was the first game John Wark played midfield for us (his small number of previous appearances were at centre back). We won 2-0 with both goals from a brilliant Clive Woods.

But John Wark had a really poor game. As we walked back from the game I said to my brother that I couldn't see John Wark playing midfield for the Town again. How wrong I was - he got 10 goals that season and so many more afterwards.

So let's have patience with the new team....

Brilliant posts guys, except perhaps Steves. Paul Hurst is looking to find players who are comfortable on the ball like Tarrico was. He has praised Knudsens commitment and aggression but is probably less keen on his technical ability with the ball.Perhaps we should revisit the South American market again.
Something worth bearing in mind on 17:32 - Aug 15 with 1549 viewsclogger

I remember 20 odd years listening to Radio 5 commentary on a Saturday afternoon - Liverpool were playing . Steven Gerrard had made 2 fleeting sub appearances - he started the game. At half time the commentators said that they could not remember as poor a performance in a long time from a Liverpool player...

in fact according to Gerrard himself..
He made thirteen appearances in his debut season, filling in for injured captain Jamie Redknapp in centre-midfield.[17] He also occasionally played on the right wing, but he scarcely contributed in the short on-pitch time he received, due to nervousness affecting his play.[22] Gerrard recalled in a November 2008 interview with The Guardian, "I was out of position and out of my depth
Something worth bearing in mind on 18:35 - Aug 15 with 1427 viewsgt81

It's a heartwarming story, but, umm, weren't we relegated in 1995 with the worst points total in Premier League history to that point?

I'm hoping history doesn't have to repeat itself for Donacien to look Premier League quality.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024