Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our biggest problem this season 13:42 - Aug 15 with 3151 viewsSuperfrans

Our manager not joining until mid-June, full new team not recruited until just before our second league, hardly any of them participating in the essential pre-season for the new manager's much heralded high press game. We are essentially in pre-season right now, as our new team tries to knit together, the players get used to the system, each other, build up their fitness etc.

Personally, I'm confident that we'll be there by mid- to late-September and be playing okay. The problem is that by then we will be 8-10 games into the season. WHo knows how many points we will have.

But I don't see any way out of it. We are where we are. We can't jettison a manager who has brought in 9 players, halfway through implementation of a new system. That would be insane. All we can do is sit tight, accept it's a transition period and that squeaky bum time could continue for a few more weeks yet.

I may just go to bed for 6 weeks and wake up when the hand-wringing is over...

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Our biggest problem this season on 13:43 - Aug 15 with 3134 viewshomer_123

All moot if we were winning games.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Our biggest problem this season on 14:05 - Aug 15 with 3103 viewsitfcjoe

Totally agree - i think the biggest problem in addition to all that now is that we don't have a top quality player in the squad, who can do something that will nick us a point or three whilst it is all still going through this pre season.

A Tom Lawrence or a Bersant Celina to smash one in from 25 yards out of nothing, or a setpiece taker with quality of Waghorn.

And also, our one player who is a star, Bart, hasn't covered himself in glory so far this season.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Our biggest problem this season on 14:11 - Aug 15 with 3079 viewscobbler

I said that at the time .Hurst should of joined us when McCarthy left or at least when the season finished it seemed to go on for ages he could of groomed our team ready for pre season and could of all been better.
Our biggest problem this season on 14:30 - Aug 15 with 3044 viewsurbanblue

Our biggest problem this season is the expectations of a lot of the supporters!!
Our biggest problem this season on 14:35 - Aug 15 with 3032 viewsSarge

Our biggest problem this season on 14:11 - Aug 15 by cobbler

I said that at the time .Hurst should of joined us when McCarthy left or at least when the season finished it seemed to go on for ages he could of groomed our team ready for pre season and could of all been better.

Yeah cos he was totally going to leave Shrewsbury at the business end of a promotion push
Our biggest problem this season on 14:56 - Aug 15 with 2996 viewscobbler

Our biggest problem this season on 14:35 - Aug 15 by Sarge

Yeah cos he was totally going to leave Shrewsbury at the business end of a promotion push

If he wanted the job then he should of ,In life you can’t always pick and choose when you move on if he was wanted there and then he should of been made to choose.
Our biggest problem this season on 15:03 - Aug 15 with 2978 viewsSuperfrans

Our biggest problem this season on 14:05 - Aug 15 by itfcjoe

Totally agree - i think the biggest problem in addition to all that now is that we don't have a top quality player in the squad, who can do something that will nick us a point or three whilst it is all still going through this pre season.

A Tom Lawrence or a Bersant Celina to smash one in from 25 yards out of nothing, or a setpiece taker with quality of Waghorn.

And also, our one player who is a star, Bart, hasn't covered himself in glory so far this season.

That's true enough. Although it's arguable whether that one player is as essential in a team with a defined system, playing to the strengths of the group and with attacking intent, as maybe it is when you are playing a more cautious game as we did under Mick.

I'm also hopeful that Nolan and Edwards could be game-changers. From what I've seen of the highlights, Nolan is not shy of having a dig from distance (not something you could say about many of our players in recent years) and Edwards is as effective/creative as Celina and Williams were, from the little I've seen of him.

Our biggest problem this season on 15:04 - Aug 15 with 2977 viewsSuperfrans

Our biggest problem this season on 14:35 - Aug 15 by Sarge

Yes. I'm not saying that it could have been any different, if we were set on Hurst. But it is where we are and something we have to deal with...

Login to get fewer ads

Our biggest problem this season on 15:06 - Aug 15 with 2972 viewsReuser_is_God

'I may just go to bed for 6 weeks and wake up when the hand-wringing is over...'

This.

Superfrans, I've often found you a constant bore on here but have found myself agreeing with you on everything since the start of this season.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Our biggest problem this season on 15:11 - Aug 15 with 2954 viewsSuperfrans

Our biggest problem this season on 15:06 - Aug 15 by Reuser_is_God

'I may just go to bed for 6 weeks and wake up when the hand-wringing is over...'

This.

Superfrans, I've often found you a constant bore on here but have found myself agreeing with you on everything since the start of this season.

Ha. Thanks. I think....

Our biggest problem this season on 15:14 - Aug 15 with 2942 viewsKieran_Knows

Not really sure what else we could have done about Hurst not being here until mid-June though (as he was quite clearly out first choice target). I can only presume Evans was hoping Charlton would knock them out in the semi-final, and he'd have been in the job before the end of May, which would've given him time to settle in a little easier, before he then went away for a couple of weeks on holiday/courses.

Other than that, agree with the rest of your post!

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Our biggest problem this season on 15:21 - Aug 15 with 2918 viewsSuperfrans

Our biggest problem this season on 15:14 - Aug 15 by Kieran_Knows

Not really sure what else we could have done about Hurst not being here until mid-June though (as he was quite clearly out first choice target). I can only presume Evans was hoping Charlton would knock them out in the semi-final, and he'd have been in the job before the end of May, which would've given him time to settle in a little easier, before he then went away for a couple of weeks on holiday/courses.

Other than that, agree with the rest of your post!

Yes, as said elsewhere, I'm not sure there was much we could do about it... But it is why we are where we are.

The only alternative would have been a different manager. For instance, had we signed Jack Ross (remember him?) we would have been able to have him in the door a month maybe two earlier. Better pre-season, more time to prepare, earlier signings.

Not saying this is what we should have done, but it would mean we were in a different place.

Our biggest problem this season on 19:32 - Aug 15 with 2778 viewsKeaneish

Yep, no idea what all the panic is about. We're playing some decent stuff with a clear game plan and creating decent chances. I'm relatively happy with the start. My only gripe is that senior players are AWOL...

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Our biggest problem this season on 20:07 - Aug 15 with 2732 viewsBloomBlue

Our biggest problem this season on 14:56 - Aug 15 by cobbler

If he wanted the job then he should of ,In life you can’t always pick and choose when you move on if he was wanted there and then he should of been made to choose.

He was under contract to Shrewsbury they could have refused to release him irrelevant if he wanted to leave, same as Watford did with their manager. At least if they had, Gary Megson would be our manager now.
Our biggest problem this season on 20:14 - Aug 15 with 2712 viewsjas0999

We brought in too many players too late. We also lost three senior forward and two senior CBs. We replaced with two inexperienced forwards and one inexperienced CB. Not good.

I’m also at a loss to understand where the £5M in transfer profits has gone. Can’t be wages as the new additions very unlikely to be on the same as experience deoartures. Odd.
Our biggest problem this season on 20:21 - Aug 15 with 2693 viewsWestSussexBlue

Our biggest problem this season on 14:30 - Aug 15 by urbanblue

Our biggest problem this season is the expectations of a lot of the supporters!!

With all due respect we are all expecting to beat a team Two leagues below us.
Our biggest problem this season on 20:40 - Aug 15 with 2653 viewsVic

Our biggest problem this season on 14:05 - Aug 15 by itfcjoe

A fit Huws, Dozzell and Bishop will see a huge upgrade in squad quality. Both Lawreance and Celina were loans, and were only now getting into that window so who knows, we may well still get one. Especially as it seems to be becoming apparent that we need a little more experience up front while Harrison etc bed in.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Our biggest problem this season on 20:51 - Aug 15 with 2636 viewsMonkey_Blue

The biggest problem is fans thinking Hurst is some kind of genius in comparison to all the other managers and that his ideas are unique and his talent spotting insightful beyond the norm, some
Or all of this may prove true... but it’s more likely about any younger manager that they are not well above the average.... let’s keep our fingers crossed that Hurst is special
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024