Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rationally when should we worry? 20:38 - Aug 15 with 5438 viewsMonkey_Blue

I’ve been concerned about the recruitment policy all summer but having failed to beat two teams that were in league one last season and one who is currently in league two... and looked goal shy having lost pretty much all of last years goals via Waghorn, Garner, Celina and McGoldrick... I think we may as well face facts that unless the way they are being asked to play is so complicated they can’t get it quickly but when they do it’s genius... we are in for a very long hard season. I think it’s worth giving it a month but at the moment we’ve gone from a top half championship team to looking like a league one team out of its depth. I’m not suggesting a change of manager in a month btw but we need to face facts... lots of teams bring in a new manager and they say all the right things.... right up until a player says they are to blame for his sacking
[Post edited 15 Aug 2018 20:43]
Rationally when should we worry? on 20:47 - Aug 15 with 4150 viewsitfcjoe

If things haven't clicked and we are still struggling come the November international break (after Reading away) and we are in the bottom 3 then we will be in big, big trouble.

We will have had 2 international breaks before then to get things sorted on training ground.

Hopefully after the first one, things will begin to get better, but think it'll be a struggle as will take time

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Rationally when should we worry? on 20:48 - Aug 15 with 4134 viewsKeaneish

Why do we look like a league one team when we're playing better football than we have in years and years? If it weren't for a few stupid individual mistakes, we'd have three wins now. Fine lines so why the hysteria?

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Rationally when should we worry? on 20:49 - Aug 15 with 4125 viewsBasuco

Oct 2nd, this is our 11th league game of the season, it takes a minimum of 10 games to get going but this season it may take even longer. This is because we have completely change style of play and the added fact that due to the monumental change in playing style also required a major change in players as well. So it could take until Christmas before the team gels and fully takes on board what PH wants them to do.
[Post edited 15 Aug 2018 20:56]
Rationally when should we worry? on 20:57 - Aug 15 with 4090 viewsMonkey_Blue

Rationally when should we worry? on 20:48 - Aug 15 by Keaneish

Why do we look like a league one team when we're playing better football than we have in years and years? If it weren't for a few stupid individual mistakes, we'd have three wins now. Fine lines so why the hysteria?

How many games did we lose or wins become draws because of some poor defending under the last manager? And good football is cool except if you aren’t good enough to do that and get results:
We’ve been unthreatening in two of the three games and the Rotherham game had lots of possesionnagainst the favourites for relegation. I don’t want to play pretty passing football and lose every week
Rationally when should we worry? on 21:05 - Aug 15 with 4045 viewstractorshark

If it takes until Christmas, it might be too late.
I’m not panicking as such but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little concerned.
I think some of those who say this is a transitional season are forgetting the fact we might actually get relegated.
Yes, there is a bit of hysteria at the moment but, equally, there is also a blasé assumption that we will finish where we did last season.
I hope that’s the case but if I’m being truly honest, I think we will end up below that.
Rationally when should we worry? on 08:19 - Aug 16 with 3854 viewsSwn98

Rationally when should we worry? on 20:48 - Aug 15 by Keaneish

IF
Rationally when should we worry? on 08:27 - Aug 16 with 3832 viewsHerbivore

Rationally when should we worry? on 20:47 - Aug 15 by itfcjoe

If things haven't clicked and we are still struggling come the November international break (after Reading away) and we are in the bottom 3 then we will be in big, big trouble.

We will have had 2 international breaks before then to get things sorted on training ground.

Hopefully after the first one, things will begin to get better, but think it'll be a struggle as will take time

I'd go with this, although I'd add the caveat that if we're bottom 3 but improving then I won't be overly worried as I think if things gel then potentially there's the quality in the squad to put a good run together. If we're well adrift in November then that will be a concern as the fanbase are turning after 3 games, after 3 months they'll be baying for blood and PR will be a horrible place for Town to play.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Rationally when should we worry? on 08:38 - Aug 16 with 3799 viewsVic

Agree with you Joe. To change the style is one thing, and to change the style and so much of the team is another. To do both of these things whilst bringing in so many inexperienced players at this level just increases the risk and difficulty level to extreme levels. You can also add to that that we also have a manager untested at this level as well!

Interesting times and hugely risky. By the end of November we should start to get a proper idea of how things will pan out.

Joe, I notice you’ve largely been pretty quiet on all this (Hursts appointment and the radical overhaul he’s undertaken and the players he’s brought in. I sense you’re probably pretty concerned but are keeping quiet rather than stoking fears. Sensible!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Login to get fewer ads

Rationally when should we worry? on 08:57 - Aug 16 with 3759 viewsitfcjoe

Rationally when should we worry? on 08:38 - Aug 16 by Vic

Agree with you Joe. To change the style is one thing, and to change the style and so much of the team is another. To do both of these things whilst bringing in so many inexperienced players at this level just increases the risk and difficulty level to extreme levels. You can also add to that that we also have a manager untested at this level as well!

Interesting times and hugely risky. By the end of November we should start to get a proper idea of how things will pan out.

Joe, I notice you’ve largely been pretty quiet on all this (Hursts appointment and the radical overhaul he’s undertaken and the players he’s brought in. I sense you’re probably pretty concerned but are keeping quiet rather than stoking fears. Sensible!

I think Hurst is a good appointment, it was frustrating it took so long.

I don't like all the business we have done in the summer, I don't think the squad needed such an overhaul, and that the way we did our deals so late was wrong. Realistically how much would it have cost us to get rid of Waghorn earlier and bring in Nolan , Nsiala and Jackson? If it was 3-4 weeks earlier and cost an extra £700k overall would that be worth it? That money could prove the difference between a relegation fight and a mid table finish.

We just have to hope it clicks before we get into real trouble, because if that happens everything goes out the window and who knows what happens.

Rationally when should we worry? on 09:48 - Aug 16 with 3684 viewsSamWhiteUK

Rationally when should we worry? on 08:57 - Aug 16 by itfcjoe

I don't like all the business we have done in the summer, I don't think the squad needed such an overhaul, and that the way we did our deals so late was wrong. Realistically how much would it have cost us to get rid of Waghorn earlier and bring in Nolan , Nsiala and Jackson? If it was 3-4 weeks earlier and cost an extra £700k overall would that be worth it? That money could prove the difference between a relegation fight and a mid table finish.

We just have to hope it clicks before we get into real trouble, because if that happens everything goes out the window and who knows what happens.

With players wanting out and loanees going back, did we have much of a choice but to overhaul the squad like we did? I think the point has been raised on here a few times. How should we have approached it differently in your opinion?
Rationally when should we worry? on 09:52 - Aug 16 with 3682 viewsLeagueOne

I'd say if we're looking rough by November Evans may pull the plug on it as he did with Jewell. Jewell was here around a year wasn't he?

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

Rationally when should we worry? on 09:55 - Aug 16 with 3669 viewsSamWhiteUK

A thread asking when it is ok to start worrying. I've seen it all now. Been playing competitive fixtures for 2 weeks
Rationally when should we worry? on 10:36 - Aug 16 with 3605 viewsITFCBlues

Rationally when should we worry? on 08:57 - Aug 16 by itfcjoe

Care to expalin in what respect you feel the squad didn't need such a radical overhaul?

When you consider all the players out of contract & all the bit part players/loans that Mick signed last season - would you of kept all of them?

Would you of kept Waghorn/Garner?

From my point of view, i'm not sure how the revamp could have been avoided...

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Rationally when should we worry? on 10:40 - Aug 16 with 3595 viewsSomethingBlue

January if we really don't look like staying up. "A month" is just ridiculous and does nothing but set up failure. There's just no need.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Rationally when should we worry? on 11:30 - Aug 16 with 3484 viewsStewart27

Isn’t your question slightly irrational?
Rationally when should we worry? on 11:39 - Aug 16 with 3466 viewsKeaneish

Rationally when should we worry? on 08:19 - Aug 16 by Swn98

IF

Tell Chambers and Bart to sort it out then. They're fallible for costing us the points and producing all this negativity however many are clutching at anything and everything they can to try and understand why we only have 1 point and we're not in the cup and blaming it on farcical reasons like recruitment policy, one up front, blah, blah...

The football has been positive and in some cases excellent. Give Hurst credit for transforming us into a decent passing side in a short space of time who are creating lots of chances. Wins will come. I can guarantee this. Under other managers, we never really knew...

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Rationally when should we worry? on 11:41 - Aug 16 with 3461 viewsBurwell_Blue

You can worry when the board Illuminati say you can worry. Even then, you have to worry how they say, for the duration they permit and within the published guidelines.

Anything outside of this will be ridiculed and called a 'flounce'
Rationally when should we worry? on 11:43 - Aug 16 with 3450 viewsstewartm

It is a very good question and also a very difficult question to answer, some one on the board used Fulham as an example last season poor start but ended up doing very well. Others are quiet right to point out that there has been one massive change at PR, not just management but also players. Another very good point with lower league players, look at Varney and Deli Ali (albeit they have played alongside better players). I personally think we are in serious trouble unless the centre midfield is not sorted out(hopefully Huws or/and Adeyemi show their faces). What is promising to me with PH he has already mentioned loaning out Dozzell and Nydam realising they are not ready for this level (hopefully Downes follow the pair out of PR). Also a centre back is an absolute must (CB with a bit of pedigree). Then perhaps my answer will change.....

Poll: How long will Lamburke survive this season?

Rationally when should we worry? on 11:55 - Aug 16 with 3417 viewsitfcjoe

Rationally when should we worry? on 11:39 - Aug 16 by Keaneish

Tell Chambers and Bart to sort it out then. They're fallible for costing us the points and producing all this negativity however many are clutching at anything and everything they can to try and understand why we only have 1 point and we're not in the cup and blaming it on farcical reasons like recruitment policy, one up front, blah, blah...

The football has been positive and in some cases excellent. Give Hurst credit for transforming us into a decent passing side in a short space of time who are creating lots of chances. Wins will come. I can guarantee this. Under other managers, we never really knew...

Are we creating lots of chances though? If we are they aren't very good ones as can't see any keeper has made a very good save against us in 3 games and two of our 3 goals have been crosses that have gone in.

Don't take that as anti-Hurst, it's a big change to make - but what good chances have we created in 270 minutes?

Rationally when should we worry? on 11:58 - Aug 16 with 3404 viewsdirtyboy

A rational approach (and no doubt one that Evans will adopt) will be wait until Christmas.

If it's not working out at that point and we're not looking like we're going to go on a run, then he'll likely say goodbye and give the incomming boss a chance to make necessary changes in the January window.

Hilarious that we're even having this conversation though.

We'll be fine and I think we'll finish above Birmingham, QPR, Sheffield Weds, Hull, Rotherham and Reading at least. I don't think Millwall look as strong this year either.

I've now seen full replays of the Rotherham and Blackburn games and seen enough change already to suggest we'll see a lot more of the ball in games this year and goalscorers (in my opinion) are goalscorers whatever league they're in, just the chances are fewer between and that fluidity up front will take a bit more time to take place.

As I said. We'll be fine.
Rationally when should we worry? on 12:02 - Aug 16 with 3382 viewsKieran_Knows

Rationally when should we worry? on 08:38 - Aug 16 by Vic

I still don't get this 'overhaul' comment. Webster, Waghorn and Garner aside, we had 4 loan players who were all played a fair chunk of games last season that needed replacing regardless (Iorfa, Celina, Connolly & CCV), plus we released (in my opinion, correctly), McGoldrick, Hyam, Gleeson, Bru and Carayol (plus Crowe if we're being pedantic).

So even if you take out the sales of Webster, Waghorn and Garner, we've still replaced 9 players who were going, with 9 players, which was needed.

Again, as I mentioned yesterday, whether we've replaced said players above correctly, with lower league players, remains to be seen. However I don't see it as an overhaul as others suggest.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Rationally when should we worry? on 12:12 - Aug 16 with 3351 viewsITFCBlues

Rationally when should we worry? on 12:02 - Aug 16 by Kieran_Knows

I still don't get this 'overhaul' comment. Webster, Waghorn and Garner aside, we had 4 loan players who were all played a fair chunk of games last season that needed replacing regardless (Iorfa, Celina, Connolly & CCV), plus we released (in my opinion, correctly), McGoldrick, Hyam, Gleeson, Bru and Carayol (plus Crowe if we're being pedantic).

So even if you take out the sales of Webster, Waghorn and Garner, we've still replaced 9 players who were going, with 9 players, which was needed.

Again, as I mentioned yesterday, whether we've replaced said players above correctly, with lower league players, remains to be seen. However I don't see it as an overhaul as others suggest.

Exactly my point!

I just don't get all these people banging on about an overhaul of the squad etc when in reality there was little to no choice.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Rationally when should we worry? on 12:13 - Aug 16 with 3346 viewsSteve_M

Rationally when should we worry? on 11:55 - Aug 16 by itfcjoe

Are we creating lots of chances though? If we are they aren't very good ones as can't see any keeper has made a very good save against us in 3 games and two of our 3 goals have been crosses that have gone in.

Don't take that as anti-Hurst, it's a big change to make - but what good chances have we created in 270 minutes?

I can't see it either. I don't think we've created a great deal yet despite some periods of nice football, and that goes back to Barnet in pre-season.

I saw a tweet claiming that we created a similar number of chances at Rotherham as in Sunderland home match last year which I found astounding. We scored five goals in the latter and had two or three more good opportunities (Adeyemi header over the bar, someone missed a free shot in the area too).

We did create chances but generally they weren't good ones, other than Chambers free header which he should have buried. Edwards free kick was decent but comfortable and we failed to make the most of opportunities in the first half when we didn't properly test the keeper.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Rationally when should we worry? on 12:33 - Aug 16 with 3273 viewsAlabaster_Codify

Palace lost their first 7 games without scoring a goal. They finished 11th.

Don't worry!!

No thanks...I don't do the horse

Rationally when should we worry? on 12:35 - Aug 16 with 3268 viewsHerbivore

Rationally when should we worry? on 11:39 - Aug 16 by Keaneish

I love how the 'old guard' have become the scapegoats for our disappointing start. Sure Bart and Chambers were at fault against Exeter, but it was Chalobah who totally lost his man for the Blackburn equaliser and it was Nsiala who gave away the free kick that Rotherham equalised from. It doesn't need to be everything old = bad, and everything new = good. Our start hasn't been great, you're way off to suggest we've been creating loads of chances (certainly clear cut ones), and some of the new boys haven't convinced. It's early days though and we need to be patient and keep the faith and hope that we start to gel and get some results. Let's not make out it's going great so far though, it isn't, but that shouldn't be totally unexpected either.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024