Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ipswich Town managers 09:33 - Aug 17 with 3988 viewscarlo88

Looking back on all our managers since George Burley, we seem to have been a graveyard for everyone. Not one manager has gone on to better things since leaving us, and in most cases we seem to have finished their club careers off (Keane, Jewell, McCarthy still unemployed). Joe Royle probably wanted to retire anyway. I'm wandering is this a coincidence? Is there something about the owner, the crowd?

More to the point I think in Paul Hurst we have one of the best managers since Burley, and I really hope we don't lead to his demise. To be honest I wouldn't really mind if we are relegated, as long as the seeds were being sown for a better future, as we've done nothing for fifteen years. I hope we stick with him no matter how bad this season is, and it could get much worse before it gets better.
Ipswich Town managers on 09:36 - Aug 17 with 2784 viewsKing_ding_a_lin_g

I always assumed it was Keane’s choice to take a step back from club management... I would have thought there would have been offers for him but just not any that took his fancy.
Ipswich Town managers on 09:37 - Aug 17 with 2784 viewsGeoffSentence

I wouldn't be happy if we got relegated. One of the great things about this club is how long it is since we played in the third tier, only a handful of clubs have a better record in that regard. It would be a shame to lose that.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Ipswich Town managers on 09:38 - Aug 17 with 2773 viewshype313

You forgot Jim.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Ipswich Town managers on 09:55 - Aug 17 with 2740 viewsBinner

Hurst "One of the best managers since Burley" is hardly a high bar to clamber over. In any case it is far too early to say such a thing. He may turn out to be brilliant for us or it could be a disaster and we are bound for League 2.

(Btw. There is a difference between 'wandering' and 'wondering '.)

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Ipswich Town managers on 10:07 - Aug 17 with 2690 viewsskyblue23

Ipswich Town managers on 09:55 - Aug 17 by Binner

Hurst "One of the best managers since Burley" is hardly a high bar to clamber over. In any case it is far too early to say such a thing. He may turn out to be brilliant for us or it could be a disaster and we are bound for League 2.

How can you say it's hardly a high bar to clamber over? I'm sure if offered to have a team playing like Burley had us playing, being in around and around the play offs, short stay in the premier league and a trip into Europe, most people would 100% take that.

Poll: Paul Lambert moves on, would you be happy if Jim Magilton was given another go?

Ipswich Town managers on 10:09 - Aug 17 with 2682 viewspablosturn

Ipswich Town managers on 10:07 - Aug 17 by skyblue23

How can you say it's hardly a high bar to clamber over? I'm sure if offered to have a team playing like Burley had us playing, being in around and around the play offs, short stay in the premier league and a trip into Europe, most people would 100% take that.

Read the post back.

"since Burley" doesn't include Burley. Deary me!
Ipswich Town managers on 10:11 - Aug 17 with 2670 viewsskyblue23

Ipswich Town managers on 10:09 - Aug 17 by pablosturn

Read the post back.

"since Burley" doesn't include Burley. Deary me!

Fair play, complete misread. Apologies!

Poll: Paul Lambert moves on, would you be happy if Jim Magilton was given another go?

Ipswich Town managers on 10:17 - Aug 17 with 2648 viewsEastTownBlue

A bit too early to be writing off McCarthy.

Let’s see after the usual autumn sacking spree.
Login to get fewer ads

Ipswich Town managers on 10:19 - Aug 17 with 2636 viewssolemio

Ipswich Town managers on 09:55 - Aug 17 by Binner

If PH proves to be as good a manager as Joe Royle that won't be bad.
Ipswich Town managers on 10:39 - Aug 17 with 2616 viewsGuthrum

Apart from McGarry, Robson, Burley and Mowbray, none of our former managers have gone on to have significant club coaching careers.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Ipswich Town managers on 10:51 - Aug 17 with 2591 viewsGromheort

Ipswich Town managers on 10:39 - Aug 17 by Guthrum

Apart from McGarry, Robson, Burley and Mowbray, none of our former managers have gone on to have significant club coaching careers.

John Duncan! Won cup and league with Loughborough University.
Ipswich Town managers on 10:52 - Aug 17 with 2583 viewsBinner

Ipswich Town managers on 10:19 - Aug 17 by solemio

If PH proves to be as good a manager as Joe Royle that won't be bad.

If he can match last season's final position then, given the circumstances, he'll have done very well.

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Ipswich Town managers on 10:57 - Aug 17 with 2548 viewsGuthrum

Ipswich Town managers on 10:51 - Aug 17 by Gromheort

John Duncan! Won cup and league with Loughborough University.

Don't really think the Midland Combination League qualifies as 'significant' ...

Ipswich Town managers on 11:00 - Aug 17 with 2540 viewsElephantintheRoom

Sort of reflects what has happened to the club. If any manager were able to take Town on an upward trajectory under the current ownership they would be quickly snaffled up. But realistically that isn't going to happen. Evans is here for what he can take out of the club - and by and large, since Magilton, that has been true of the managers and many of the players. Are things different now? Possibly. Possibly not given the cloud over the timing of Hurst's recruitment. Interesting times ahead IF the antidote to sterile stability is a plunge downwards.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Ipswich Town managers on 11:06 - Aug 17 with 2525 viewsGromheort

Ipswich Town managers on 10:57 - Aug 17 by Guthrum

Don't really think the Midland Combination League qualifies as 'significant' ...

Harsh! Always support a team wearing purple. Its the colour of magic
Ipswich Town managers on 11:10 - Aug 17 with 2503 viewsMullet

Ipswich Town managers on 11:06 - Aug 17 by Gromheort

Harsh! Always support a team wearing purple. Its the colour of magic

And the monarchy, which seems quite a diversion for yourself.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Ipswich Town managers on 11:14 - Aug 17 with 2502 viewstractorshark

I imagine McCarthy will have plenty of offers come November.
He’s probably turned down jobs over the summer.
He’s still well respected in the game and as good a firefighter as there is outside of the Prem.

As for relegation, I’m surprised some Ipswich fans don’t fear relegation to League One.
This belief that it will be better in the long term is based on the notion that it turned out well for Norwich and Southampton.
But they both went down with considerably bigger investment than we have right now and, I hate to say it, a much bigger average attendance.
We could be a Charlton, Portsmouth or Coventry.
Or perhaps a Sheffield United. They may be doing Ok now but they spent 6 seasons in League One. Our fans haven’t got the patience for that, nor has Marcus Evans. And there aren’t many billionaire owners interested in third-tier clubs.
Forest also spent 3 seasons in L1, Sheff Wed 2 seasons.
My point is there is no guarantee we will bounce back instantly or be better for the experience.
Ipswich Town managers on 11:16 - Aug 17 with 2488 viewsMullet

Ipswich Town managers on 11:14 - Aug 17 by tractorshark

I imagine McCarthy will have plenty of offers come November.
He’s probably turned down jobs over the summer.
He’s still well respected in the game and as good a firefighter as there is outside of the Prem.

As for relegation, I’m surprised some Ipswich fans don’t fear relegation to League One.
This belief that it will be better in the long term is based on the notion that it turned out well for Norwich and Southampton.
But they both went down with considerably bigger investment than we have right now and, I hate to say it, a much bigger average attendance.
We could be a Charlton, Portsmouth or Coventry.
Or perhaps a Sheffield United. They may be doing Ok now but they spent 6 seasons in League One. Our fans haven’t got the patience for that, nor has Marcus Evans. And there aren’t many billionaire owners interested in third-tier clubs.
Forest also spent 3 seasons in L1, Sheff Wed 2 seasons.
My point is there is no guarantee we will bounce back instantly or be better for the experience.

Quite, it's delusional nonsense. Makes my piss boil when people go on about "seeing new grounds, winning most weeks" that's Norwich talk and utterly defeatist. Div 3 has been beneath us for decades and long should it remain that way.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Ipswich Town managers on 11:30 - Aug 17 with 2445 viewsGromheort

Ipswich Town managers on 11:16 - Aug 17 by Mullet

Quite, it's delusional nonsense. Makes my piss boil when people go on about "seeing new grounds, winning most weeks" that's Norwich talk and utterly defeatist. Div 3 has been beneath us for decades and long should it remain that way.

A manager should be risk loving. Its an entertainment business after all. Minimising the risk of relegation assuredly ensures slow decline to obscurity. Hmmm, there's common ground with austerity perhaps?

Now we don't know if relegation would be positive or negative in the long run. But taking the risk, and shifting away from the monotony, will spark more interest.
Ipswich Town managers on 11:33 - Aug 17 with 2427 viewsitfcjoe

Ipswich Town managers on 11:30 - Aug 17 by Gromheort

A manager should be risk loving. Its an entertainment business after all. Minimising the risk of relegation assuredly ensures slow decline to obscurity. Hmmm, there's common ground with austerity perhaps?

Now we don't know if relegation would be positive or negative in the long run. But taking the risk, and shifting away from the monotony, will spark more interest.

I don't know if chopping my arm off will be positive or negative in the long run but I still don't want to do it.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Ipswich Town managers on 11:40 - Aug 17 with 2404 viewsGromheort

Ipswich Town managers on 11:33 - Aug 17 by itfcjoe

I don't know if chopping my arm off will be positive or negative in the long run but I still don't want to do it.

Unless you have body dysmorphic disorder, I think you're on safe ground to keep both.

Risk taking is imperative in football. It ensures excitement, generating positive spillovers for the team.

Minimising risk is great for the insurance industry. We're not grey suited quite yet!
Ipswich Town managers on 11:45 - Aug 17 with 2384 viewsLeagueOne

Magic was tipped for going onto bigger things and then his temper got the better of him.

I think Keane, being Keane, reflected on what had happened at Ipswich and Sunderland and took the coaching route which he's done pretty well with. Jewell on the other had shouldn't have ever been given another job in football after the Derby mess and should have never in this lifetime been given a job here. Mick is much like Royle, what else is there really to do at his age? He was the right appointment though we cant say he wasn't because we're still a Championship club due to him.

As for calling Hurst one of the best managers since Burley after 3 games... well let's wait and see how he does before getting excited but the idea that relegation would be a good thing is absolutely absurd - especially with the Championship getting richer, the teams coming down are now spending more money than we would to go back up, we'll be more Coventry City than Blackburn. Relegation would be the death of this club as any real contender ever again.

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

Ipswich Town managers on 11:58 - Aug 17 with 2358 viewsGuthrum

Ipswich Town managers on 11:40 - Aug 17 by Gromheort

Unless you have body dysmorphic disorder, I think you're on safe ground to keep both.

Risk taking is imperative in football. It ensures excitement, generating positive spillovers for the team.

Minimising risk is great for the insurance industry. We're not grey suited quite yet!

Risk has to have a degree of calculation.

Refreshing the team with a selection of the best prospects from lower divisions is a calculated risk.

Deliberately plunging down into League One in the pious hope we could "win every week" and easily bounce back really isn't.

Ipswich Town managers on 12:02 - Aug 17 with 2348 viewsTrumptonBlue

Ipswich Town managers on 11:33 - Aug 17 by itfcjoe

Very unlikely to be positive, I'd have thought.
Ipswich Town managers on 12:08 - Aug 17 with 2327 viewsGuthrum

Ipswich Town managers on 12:02 - Aug 17 by TrumptonBlue

Very unlikely to be positive, I'd have thought.

You could fit through narrower doorways. Quick way of losing weight. Gets you out of piano lessons. All sorts of advantages.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024