Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bring on Derby - some thoughts on yesterday 10:49 - Aug 19 with 3238 viewsLankHenners

This was my second sighting of Paul Hurst's New Era FC this season after the opening day but it already felt like more than a fortnight had passed. It seemed unfortunate that we were playing one of the strongest teams in the league after Hurst's outburst on Tuesday, as the inevitable reaction to it could prove worthless if Villa were too much for us to handle.

The starting line-up was one which might become quite familiar: Bart behind Donacien, Nsiala, Chambers and Knudsen, Chalobah sat in front of them and behind Skuse and Nolan, whilst Harrison stood strong on his own up front with Edwards and Edun either side. While we still have players injured, it's hard to see how that XI can really be changed to any great degree.

Straight from kickoff we exposed ourselves to why we need Nolan and the wide players to support Harrison: Chalobah's knock into the left channel was well won and flicked inside by Harrison, but no-one was there to challenge the ball and Villa were gifted possession.

Despite any pre-match concerns, the opening exchanges did not indicate which team was packed full of 40k+-a-week players. In fact it was Town who had the first real chance of the game when a superb run by Edwards where he beat Hutton, Grealish, Adomah and somehow Hutton again saw the ball worked to the lively Edun on the left who fired a fast low ball back across the box to Gwion who could only lift a firm effort onto the face of the bar.

Villa, for all their quality, struggled to create a chance beyond some crosses into the box which were well marshaled by the Town defence. Town came close again when Chalobah saw a shot blocked in a scrambled penalty area and Chambers poked the follow-up just wide. The Town support didn't sit on their hands like they did against Blackburn, and were becoming ever united against a sure shoe-in for 'worst referee of the season'. Tim Robinson seemed to enjoy being in charge of a game involving a big team like Villa so much that he gave them anything and everything they called for, Grealish in particular was a big fan of leaning against a player then letting himself fall over. He probably did enough to earn seven bookings for simulation but ho hum.

A throw in that looked ours but was given to our opponents led to the first goal of the match. The linesman in front of the Cobbold was useless and had clearly, not for the first time, guessed who touched the ball last as Skuse challenged McGinn in the centre of the pitch. The Town players were so convinced it was theirs that they didn't concentrate when Villa got on with it and McGinn swung a lovely ball into Kodja who got in between Chambers and Nsiala to flick home. The pair may have done better but if we'd have scored it we'd be praising the superb assist.

It was harsh on Town who had had the better of the attacking play and had reduced Villa to hopeful balls into the box which caused little trouble. They nearly earned a very harsh second when Grealish remembered he was allowed to stay on his feet and sent in a cross that Kodja thumped onto the bar. Just prior, Edun was cautioned when Bart threw the ball too far in front of him and despite winning it cleanly on the stretch, the ref judged him to have used too much force, a decision made easier by El Mohamady clutching his leg like it had been split into pieces by a large projectile before recovering miraculously to be able to sprint around the pitch again.

Hurst clearly feels we should make the most of Knudsen being able to throw the ball somewhat far and, well, we did. The Dane's hurl was feebly flapped at by visiting 'keeper Nyland and Chalobah used his body well to shield the bouncing ball before hitting a half volley on the turn into the bottom corner. A goal that meant a lot to him personally and showed that we were not going to let Villa see us off.

This task just became much harder when a fairly innocuous tackle by Edun on Manchester United loanee Tuanzebe saw the full back stumble then, remembering what his teammates had been doing all game, drop like an exhausted mule and cling onto whichever part of his leg would look more painful to the referee. The referee, I should add, who didn't seem to see the incident, or if he did, didn't see it worthy of a foul. Then, thinking about the signed and framed Jack Grealish poster in his bedroom, decided to stop play. Initially it looked like this was to make sure Tuanzebe was not in serious pain, so it was bizarre to see him call Edun over. Bizarre turned to ludicrous as both colour cards came out of his pocket and he showed them in sequence to the young Fulham loanee. A standing ovation by the Town fans as he jogged down the tunnel turned to hostile boos and whistles in one clear direction. The initial cheers by Villa's large support quickly turned into sheepish shuffling as they realised they were now 12v10.

Half time allowed for hurried discussion in the stands as to what we were going to do. Would we try and contain them? Would Hurst bring on a defender? No. The line-up stayed the same with Nolan drifting out left and Skuse and Chalobah becoming a partnership in the centre as we went 4-4-1.

We certainly weren't going to sit back either, which judging by the shaky individual performances by Villa's players, is what they were expecting to happen. We looked to break quickly at them at every opportunity, Edwards the most influential as he hooked onto several mistakes by Alan 'Scottish Cafu' Hutton. Donacien then got booked in the only acceptable way to do so: absolutely fooking clattering into dirty little scrote Grealish, who tried his best to get the ref to send the St Lucian off by writhing around and flailing his arms around like he was in the process of being torn apart by a machine gun.

The 2nd half saw little in the way of goalmouth action with Villa sending a few frustrated efforts wayward of the goalposts. It was Town that arguably came closest to finding a winner as Harrison was unable to direct a header from a corner on target as he stretched to make contact with the ball, whilst Edwards put in a couple of delicious balls which neither Nolan nor substitute Jackson gambled on.

The crowd was really fired up and played a big part in making the game difficult for Villa, celebrating every decision the ref gave in our favour like we'd scored a goal. Credit must also go to Steve Bruce - not many managers would pretend they were the Texans at the Siege of the Alamo when they actually had a man advantage. Bemusing why he didn't/couldn't get more out of his players when they looked far more dangerous when McGinn and Grealish got their feet on the ball in our half of the pitch.

Villa pushed harder for a winner in the four added minutes but could not break through and a hearty roar met the final whistle.

Bart was once again a little uncertain for me - should have claimed a few overhit balls aimed at Adomah but instead left them to Donacien to dribble his way out of trouble. Spooned an easy save behind for a corner as well but did make a good save from Hourihane at the death.

A shoutout for Big Boy Janoi is in order - the most improved player from the start of the season already. Villa clearly saw him as a weak link as they continually pumped balls to Adomah but the big man kept his composure and looked like the experienced Championship player against the newbie throughout the game. More performances like that and people will apologise for even thinking of the word 'Diallo'.

Nsiala's a player. A real player. Good judgement by Hurst in seeing he could step up - a real strong, powerful defender who loves doing what he does. Chambers had a few iffy moments including one dreadful pass after a good interception which nearly gifted Villa an opening, but he said midweek no-one should criticise the team's attitude and he led by example yesterday. Battled imperiously with Kodja all game and despite the Villa man getting a goal, won the battle overall.

Knudsen was another one who looked better, and Hurst has clearly instilled some confidence in him that his long throws are a genuine weapon. Helped by a flappy 'keeper yesterday but if it works, it works.

Chalobah looks better with each game, still the odd loose ball but is at the heart of most things we do and is always there to stick out a leg to slow down or completely stop an opposition attack. I think we'll find out that we're lucky to have him. On another day his goal may have bounced into a defender but it was great skill to get the shot away so he deserved it.

Skuse really came into his own once we were down to 10 - a real calming influence who used all his experience to help his younger colleagues keep the midfield shape to stifle Villa whilst being a solid rock to allow the likes of Edwards and Nolan to push the Villains back. Nolan ended up having to do a job to help the team but his quality on the ball is evident. Totally selfless in the second half and the most promising thing is that there's clearly more to come.

We'll do well to hold onto Edwards beyond this season at this rate. Special player. Fast, skillful, incredibly hard working, everything you'd want from a winger. Great buy from Hurst. Edun looked a very bright spark and it's unfortunate the ref ruined a good performance from him. He's answering some questions as to why he's starting ahead of some of our own, even if the general topic is still up for debate.

I felt a bit for Harrison, especially with 10 men he was having to do almost everything himself but it's a real asset to have someone in the team like him. I counted several defensive headers as well which is vital. His 2nd half replacement Jackson clearly has ability but has things to learn to become a Championship striker - one good run saw his shot hit wide when a more composed player might have played it differently whilst if he'd been braver and gambled in the box a couple of times he may well have scored the winner. He'll 100% score a Nouble-esque goal from chasing down a hesitant defender/'keeper at some point this season.

Yesterday's result and performance reminded me of last season's away loss to Leeds. A terrific performance which ultimately yielded much less than what we felt we deserved. We responded by thumping Sunderland off the park. I don't think we'll quite do that to Derby but if yesterday didn't inspire confidence and belief in the players, the fans, the whole club that we can go off to 'Frank Lampard's Derby' and seal our annual win there then absolutely nothing will.

We could well look back on yesterday as the first big step on our journey to whatever destination this new era takes us to.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Bring on Derby - some thoughts on yesterday on 11:05 - Aug 19 with 3125 viewsbrogansnose

Thanks for that Henners. Good read and spot on.
Bring on Derby - some thoughts on yesterday on 11:05 - Aug 19 with 3127 viewscobboldkid

What a fantastic post summed it up perfectly, agree with you 100%, even the concerns with Bart's form.
Bring on Derby - some thoughts on yesterday on 11:10 - Aug 19 with 3081 viewsCoco

Bring on Derby - some thoughts on yesterday on 11:05 - Aug 19 by cobboldkid

What a fantastic post summed it up perfectly, agree with you 100%, even the concerns with Bart's form.

Do you think the loss of Malcolm Webster is the problem with Bart?

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Bring on Derby - some thoughts on yesterday on 11:15 - Aug 19 with 3062 viewsitfctim

Bring on Derby - some thoughts on yesterday on 11:05 - Aug 19 by cobboldkid

This.
Bring on Derby - some thoughts on yesterday on 11:27 - Aug 19 with 3006 viewsDarth_Koont

Good post and I agree with almost everything.

I saw the ref's perfomance and Edun's 2 yellows a little differently and it's an area we need to improve or at least be better at on another day. I thought the ref started well, trying to let the game flow and playing some good advantages. But then there was a run of two or three tackles on Grealish that Grealish milked and perhaps we should have learnt from these. It looked as if the ref had a word with Chambers re: persistent fouling and as a result Edun went into the book the next time. Whatever the rights and wrongs, it looked like Villa were managing the ref and we weren't at this point.

That was then compounded when Edun went off the ground again and took out a Villa player. I've seen people question whether it was even a foul but it was if you look at it as a tackle that wasn't under control. Unfortunately with how we'd managed the ref before and with Edun already on a yellow we gave the ref no choice. All in all, we need to do better when we get into situations like this — but hopefully it's a one-off. In any case, it got the crowd going so that they gave us the extra man and it never really felt like we were down to 10.

Overall, a very good performance and if there are things that we can do better that's definitely a positive for me. I'm also excited to see how we do when we click in attack and start putting chances away. Lots to look forward to.

Pronouns: He/Him

Bring on Derby - some thoughts on yesterday on 11:29 - Aug 19 with 2996 viewscobboldkid

Bring on Derby - some thoughts on yesterday on 11:10 - Aug 19 by Coco

Do you think the loss of Malcolm Webster is the problem with Bart?

Not sure about the loss of Webster, don't really think it should effect him. Maybe still effected by a frantic summer on international duty at the world cup, the departure of McCarthy and the uncertainty of his future at Town until he signed. Undoubtedly he is a fantastic shot stopper with great reactions but I worry that he has mistakes in him. Would like to see him command his area better and distribute the ball quicker especially to the likes of Edwards in the future, which he did once yesterday. But he has secured us so many points over the last 3 seasons.
Bring on Derby - some thoughts on yesterday on 11:33 - Aug 19 with 2967 viewsunstableblue

Great report

As you stare Edwards is not only skilful but incredibly hard working.

Ward should us him as an example

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

Bring on Derby - some thoughts on yesterday on 11:35 - Aug 19 with 2961 viewsreusersfreekicks

Great report, thanks
Login to get fewer ads

Bring on Derby - some thoughts on yesterday on 11:39 - Aug 19 with 2936 viewsDarth_Koont

Bring on Derby - some thoughts on yesterday on 11:33 - Aug 19 by unstableblue

Great report

As you stare Edwards is not only skilful but incredibly hard working.

Ward should us him as an example

Ward is hard working.

He can use Edwards as an example but more for Edwards' decisiveness and confidence to try things.

Bring on Derby - some thoughts on yesterday on 12:33 - Aug 19 with 2734 viewsBasingstokeBlue

A wonderfully informative (and informed) report, especially for those of us unable to attend.

Thank-you.

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

Bring on Derby - some thoughts on yesterday on 12:51 - Aug 19 with 2652 viewsunstableblue

Bring on Derby - some thoughts on yesterday on 11:39 - Aug 19 by Darth_Koont

Ward is hard working.

He can use Edwards as an example but more for Edwards' decisiveness and confidence to try things.

I really like Ward, and I think he can be successful for us. Our 3/4 good performances last seasons tended to include a fired up Ward.

But if you take Edwards effort and work rate yesterday as a 9/10... he was so fired up. Then Ward had been a 6 at best.

Totally agree that Ward needs to learn to be more adventurous and daring. He really has lost that side of his game.

I’m sure Hurst will be checking stats and driving Ward to do more.

Of course we can’t exoect 9/10s from all players in every game. But the mediocrity so many seem to have accepted is perhaps being eradicated. Early days but let’s hope that’s the case.

You going to Derby??

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

Bring on Derby - some thoughts on yesterday on 12:56 - Aug 19 with 2633 viewsDarth_Koont

Bring on Derby - some thoughts on yesterday on 12:51 - Aug 19 by unstableblue

I really like Ward, and I think he can be successful for us. Our 3/4 good performances last seasons tended to include a fired up Ward.

But if you take Edwards effort and work rate yesterday as a 9/10... he was so fired up. Then Ward had been a 6 at best.

Totally agree that Ward needs to learn to be more adventurous and daring. He really has lost that side of his game.

I’m sure Hurst will be checking stats and driving Ward to do more.

Of course we can’t exoect 9/10s from all players in every game. But the mediocrity so many seem to have accepted is perhaps being eradicated. Early days but let’s hope that’s the case.

You going to Derby??

Agreed.

No, I'll be at home watching with a bit of luck. Looks like we're playing them at a very good time so no reason that we can't get a result.

Good post on 13:26 - Aug 19 with 2561 viewsDyland

"Edun looked a very bright spark and it's unfortunate the ref ruined a good performance from him. He's answering some questions as to why he's starting ahead of some of our own, even if the general topic is still up for debate."

Well put.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Bring on Derby - some thoughts on yesterday on 14:42 - Aug 19 with 2384 viewsunstableblue

Bring on Derby - some thoughts on yesterday on 12:56 - Aug 19 by Darth_Koont

Agreed.

No, I'll be at home watching with a bit of luck. Looks like we're playing them at a very good time so no reason that we can't get a result.

I may now stay locally and watch on Sky as well. Well up for Norwich though.

A draw away and finally a win over our rivals and it will be a good start to the Hurst regime.

Going to be interesting to see if the team can maintain the 'warrior' intensity in these 2 games. No one would want to play us in that mode, impossible to keep up every week.

Bring on Derby - some thoughts on yesterday on 14:50 - Aug 19 with 2357 viewsLankHenners

Bring on Derby - some thoughts on yesterday on 11:27 - Aug 19 by Darth_Koont

Good post and I agree with almost everything.

I saw the ref's perfomance and Edun's 2 yellows a little differently and it's an area we need to improve or at least be better at on another day. I thought the ref started well, trying to let the game flow and playing some good advantages. But then there was a run of two or three tackles on Grealish that Grealish milked and perhaps we should have learnt from these. It looked as if the ref had a word with Chambers re: persistent fouling and as a result Edun went into the book the next time. Whatever the rights and wrongs, it looked like Villa were managing the ref and we weren't at this point.

That was then compounded when Edun went off the ground again and took out a Villa player. I've seen people question whether it was even a foul but it was if you look at it as a tackle that wasn't under control. Unfortunately with how we'd managed the ref before and with Edun already on a yellow we gave the ref no choice. All in all, we need to do better when we get into situations like this — but hopefully it's a one-off. In any case, it got the crowd going so that they gave us the extra man and it never really felt like we were down to 10.

Overall, a very good performance and if there are things that we can do better that's definitely a positive for me. I'm also excited to see how we do when we click in attack and start putting chances away. Lots to look forward to.

I think the criticism that we're too honest at times is a valid one and Villa clearly took advantage of a very weak ref but having seen the Edun challenges from a different angle to the live one (where I was pretty much above them) I still can't see how you can give the 2nd one as a 2nd yellow. The highlights indicate the ref was actually quicker to call a foul than it seemed in 'real time' but it's the sort of tackle the vast majority of refs give a 'calm down' talk to.

Bring on Derby - some thoughts on yesterday on 15:34 - Aug 19 with 2231 viewsDarth_Koont

Bring on Derby - some thoughts on yesterday on 14:50 - Aug 19 by LankHenners

I think the criticism that we're too honest at times is a valid one and Villa clearly took advantage of a very weak ref but having seen the Edun challenges from a different angle to the live one (where I was pretty much above them) I still can't see how you can give the 2nd one as a 2nd yellow. The highlights indicate the ref was actually quicker to call a foul than it seemed in 'real time' but it's the sort of tackle the vast majority of refs give a 'calm down' talk to.

Actually, I think it's a yellow. The Villa player nicks the ball and Edun is lunging in. When you've just been booked for a similar tackle it wasn't exactly unfortunate. And I really think if we'd been on the receiving end and the player hadn't got a second yellow we'd have been fuming and saying the ref bottled it.

All in all, I think the ref and how we managed him could have been better but when you get to that point then you just have to be more careful. Villa weren't even in a dangerous position.

Bring on Derby - some thoughts on yesterday on 17:35 - Aug 19 with 2112 viewsScottCandage

I literally laughed out loud at the line on Donacien's card on that nasty little scrote Grealish. :D
Bring on Derby - some thoughts on yesterday on 17:40 - Aug 19 with 2095 viewsLankHenners

Bring on Derby - some thoughts on yesterday on 15:34 - Aug 19 by Darth_Koont

Actually, I think it's a yellow. The Villa player nicks the ball and Edun is lunging in. When you've just been booked for a similar tackle it wasn't exactly unfortunate. And I really think if we'd been on the receiving end and the player hadn't got a second yellow we'd have been fuming and saying the ref bottled it.

All in all, I think the ref and how we managed him could have been better but when you get to that point then you just have to be more careful. Villa weren't even in a dangerous position.

Well I disagree but that's how it goes I guess. As a general point the standard of refereeing in this division is not that great with decisions often falling in favour of the team who can play the man in black better.

Villa did it better than us yesterday but one thing I did mean to put in the OP was how impressed I was that we didn't sink to their levels and played an honest game. Yes, one can argue we should be more streetwise, but it was pleasing to see us get up and get on with it on the whole and ignoring Villa trying to wind us up. One shining example was Skuse calmly giving Grealish an up-and-down look of disgust when the latter kicked out at him off the ball when the referee wasn't looking. Lesser players might have tried to make something out of that.

Bring on Derby - some thoughts on yesterday on 17:49 - Aug 19 with 2060 viewsazuremerlangus

Didn't go yesterday but went to the first 3 and your report sums up the start to the season as a whole from what i have seen.

Main points for me:

In fairness to Bart he hasn't had a settled back 4 in front of him for a while.

Skuse's value in the middle of the park during all this team upheaval is clearly evident to me - he was missed during the week at Exeter.
[Post edited 19 Aug 2018 19:44]

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024