Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Man Utd not the same team as they were under Ferguson with Mourinho in charge 16:11 - Aug 19 with 2338 viewsTractorBoyOlly

Discuss. Ticking time bomb me thinks

Poll: Final points total?

Man Utd not the same team as they were under Ferguson with Mourinho in charge on 16:14 - Aug 19 with 1812 viewsMullet

Well no, there's been 2 managers and dozens of players since for a start.

In that time teams have caught them up in terms of spending and exposure abroad. We're a world away from when SAF retired, and god knows what from when he started there.

I've little love for Jose, and he will be gone sooner rather than later. But it's nearly like comparing Hurst with SBR in terms of relevance an context.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Man Utd not the same team as they were under Ferguson with Mourinho in charge on 16:16 - Aug 19 with 1804 viewsTractorBoyOlly

Man Utd not the same team as they were under Ferguson with Mourinho in charge on 16:14 - Aug 19 by Mullet

Well no, there's been 2 managers and dozens of players since for a start.

In that time teams have caught them up in terms of spending and exposure abroad. We're a world away from when SAF retired, and god knows what from when he started there.

I've little love for Jose, and he will be gone sooner rather than later. But it's nearly like comparing Hurst with SBR in terms of relevance an context.

I would argue that Moyes and Van Gaal were transition managers whilst they waited for their man and so far it hasn't paid off.

Man Utd not the same team as they were under Ferguson with Mourinho in charge on 16:20 - Aug 19 with 1790 viewsMullet

Man Utd not the same team as they were under Ferguson with Mourinho in charge on 16:16 - Aug 19 by TractorBoyOlly

I would argue that Moyes and Van Gaal were transition managers whilst they waited for their man and so far it hasn't paid off.

I wouldn't. Moyes was the heir with Fergie's nod and full backing. They tried rowing back from that because of how it turned out.

LvG was then seen as keeping up with the Jones' if you will and he just didn't fit. The problem with having such a titan at the helm for so long, was United fans and the club as a whole couldn't deal with the reality of life after SAF and reacted badly.

Compare that to say, Chelsea where the club ran itself and managers came and went annually and you can see why so many of their peers closed the gap.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Man Utd not the same team as they were under Ferguson with Mourinho in charge on 16:21 - Aug 19 with 1787 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I was surprised they didn't appoint Mourinho when they appointed Moyes but it was even more surprising to see them appoint him after he had failed on his return to Chelsea and his temperamental fragilities had come more to the fore.

The ease with which he turns on people when things are not going as he wants suggests his time is limited. In some respects it is very sad because he was a fantastic manager first time round at Chelsea. In others, it is very amusing because it is Man Utd and their entitled supporters are having a reality check.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Man Utd not the same team as they were under Ferguson with Mourinho in charge on 16:26 - Aug 19 with 1771 viewsTractorBoyOlly

Man Utd not the same team as they were under Ferguson with Mourinho in charge on 16:21 - Aug 19 by Nthsuffolkblue

I was surprised they didn't appoint Mourinho when they appointed Moyes but it was even more surprising to see them appoint him after he had failed on his return to Chelsea and his temperamental fragilities had come more to the fore.

The ease with which he turns on people when things are not going as he wants suggests his time is limited. In some respects it is very sad because he was a fantastic manager first time round at Chelsea. In others, it is very amusing because it is Man Utd and their entitled supporters are having a reality check.

Precisely my point and with that Brighton are 1-0 up. Hallelujah

Man Utd not the same team as they were under Ferguson with Mourinho in charge on 16:30 - Aug 19 with 1759 viewspatrickswell

The other problem is that the football played under each of their managers since Ferguson has been very functional. Ferguson valued the likes of Giggs, Cantona, Ronaldo, Van Persie etc. Mourhino has stifled Pogba by contrast.
Man Utd not the same team as they were under Ferguson with Mourinho in charge on 16:31 - Aug 19 with 1755 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Man Utd not the same team as they were under Ferguson with Mourinho in charge on 16:26 - Aug 19 by TractorBoyOlly

Precisely my point and with that Brighton are 1-0 up. Hallelujah

and 2-0 now.

Would be better with 2 minutes to play as there is a long time to go but good so far.

Man Utd not the same team as they were under Ferguson with Mourinho in charge on 16:31 - Aug 19 with 1755 viewsGlasgowBlue

Man Utd not the same team as they were under Ferguson with Mourinho in charge on 16:21 - Aug 19 by Nthsuffolkblue

Perhaps United noticed that Jose won the league on his failed return to Chelsea.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Login to get fewer ads

Man Utd not the same team as they were under Ferguson with Mourinho in charge on 16:38 - Aug 19 with 1731 viewsTractorBoyOlly

Man Utd not the same team as they were under Ferguson with Mourinho in charge on 16:31 - Aug 19 by GlasgowBlue

Perhaps United noticed that Jose won the league on his failed return to Chelsea.

His tactics have been caught up by City and Tottenham and his ego stinks

Man Utd not the same team as they were under Ferguson with Mourinho in charge on 16:42 - Aug 19 with 1713 viewsGlasgowBlue

Man Utd not the same team as they were under Ferguson with Mourinho in charge on 16:38 - Aug 19 by TractorBoyOlly

His tactics have been caught up by City and Tottenham and his ego stinks

You are probably right but I was answering as to why United would have gone for Jose after his return to Chelsea. Winning the Premier league probably had a lot to do with it.

Iron Lion Zion

Man Utd not the same team as they were under Ferguson with Mourinho in charge on 16:42 - Aug 19 with 1713 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Man Utd not the same team as they were under Ferguson with Mourinho in charge on 16:31 - Aug 19 by GlasgowBlue

and yet failed to notice everything that happened after. That was my point. It was clear after that he is a disaster waiting to happen (whilst having the potential for when things go well to succeed too).

Man Utd not the same team as they were under Ferguson with Mourinho in charge on 16:49 - Aug 19 with 1698 viewsGlasgowBlue

Man Utd not the same team as they were under Ferguson with Mourinho in charge on 16:42 - Aug 19 by Nthsuffolkblue

and yet failed to notice everything that happened after. That was my point. It was clear after that he is a disaster waiting to happen (whilst having the potential for when things go well to succeed too).

Although to be fair Conti won the league at the first time of asking and Chelsea were very poor last season, only managing to turn it around at the end which wasn't an option for Jose in his second season as he was sacked halfway through the campaign.

Iron Lion Zion

Man Utd not the same team as they were under Ferguson with Mourinho in charge on 16:49 - Aug 19 with 1699 viewsottovonbismark

I wonder if the reported ambition of a certain individual with the initials ZZ has marked Jose down in terms of time left as Utd manager. The board didn’t back him in the transfer market and that’s always a sign that the manager isn’t secure in his position. Would be interesting to say the least if ZZ took over there.
Man Utd not the same team as they were under Ferguson with Mourinho in charge on 16:54 - Aug 19 with 1676 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Man Utd not the same team as they were under Ferguson with Mourinho in charge on 16:49 - Aug 19 by GlasgowBlue

Although to be fair Conti won the league at the first time of asking and Chelsea were very poor last season, only managing to turn it around at the end which wasn't an option for Jose in his second season as he was sacked halfway through the campaign.

But the difference is Conti never melted down in the way Mourinho did.

Man Utd not the same team as they were under Ferguson with Mourinho in charge on 16:56 - Aug 19 with 1665 viewsITFCBlues

I’m not sure that Fergie had to deal with Man City spending 6-700m over 3 seasons & Liverpool spending something similar...

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Man Utd not the same team as they were under Ferguson with Mourinho in charge on 16:56 - Aug 19 with 1665 viewsGlasgowBlue

Man Utd not the same team as they were under Ferguson with Mourinho in charge on 16:54 - Aug 19 by Nthsuffolkblue

But the difference is Conti never melted down in the way Mourinho did.

I don't really have a dog in this fight but I think it's too early to write off Jose's managerial career.

He's also not getting in the players he wants and the defence needs work on it urgently.

They will probably finish second again, miles behind their noisy neighbours, and it wouldn't surprise me if Jose didn't gamble on having a go at the Champions League.

Iron Lion Zion

Man Utd not the same team as they were under Ferguson with Mourinho in charge on 17:08 - Aug 19 with 1630 viewsHerbivore

Man Utd not the same team as they were under Ferguson with Mourinho in charge on 16:56 - Aug 19 by ITFCBlues

I’m not sure that Fergie had to deal with Man City spending 6-700m over 3 seasons & Liverpool spending something similar...

Whilst United have been digging around in the bargain basement........

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Man Utd not the same team as they were under Ferguson with Mourinho in charge on 17:09 - Aug 19 with 1629 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Man Utd not the same team as they were under Ferguson with Mourinho in charge on 16:56 - Aug 19 by GlasgowBlue

I don't really have a dog in this fight but I think it's too early to write off Jose's managerial career.

He's also not getting in the players he wants and the defence needs work on it urgently.

They will probably finish second again, miles behind their noisy neighbours, and it wouldn't surprise me if Jose didn't gamble on having a go at the Champions League.

You miss my point entirely.

Mourinho has the potential to succeed when things go well, yes.

It is clear now that when they don't he is a disaster waiting to happen. For a club like Everton wanting to come from nowhere and produce something he would make sense. For Manchester United to pick him from all the potential choices they had was very poor in my view. Why isn't he getting the players do you think? Is the attraction to play for him/United tainted now? Is it because they cannot compete financially? I struggle to accept that.

I think Mourinho's moanings suggest he is on the verge of meltdown mode again. Time will tell unless the board get twitchy and make the change.

Man Utd not the same team as they were under Ferguson with Mourinho in charge on 17:13 - Aug 19 with 1605 viewsITFCBlues

Man Utd not the same team as they were under Ferguson with Mourinho in charge on 17:08 - Aug 19 by Herbivore

Whilst United have been digging around in the bargain basement........

Obviously not - but if you look at the cost of the 14 players that city had on the pitch and compare that to United, there’s a huge difference

Man Utd not the same team as they were under Ferguson with Mourinho in charge on 17:15 - Aug 19 with 1599 viewsHerbivore

Man Utd not the same team as they were under Ferguson with Mourinho in charge on 17:13 - Aug 19 by ITFCBlues

Obviously not - but if you look at the cost of the 14 players that city had on the pitch and compare that to United, there’s a huge difference

Is there?

Edit: Just added it up and United's starting XI cost more than £50m more than City's starting XI. They are not paupers by any stretch of the imagination.
[Post edited 19 Aug 2018 17:29]

Man Utd not the same team as they were under Ferguson with Mourinho in charge on 17:22 - Aug 19 with 1573 viewsTractorBoyOlly

Man Utd not the same team as they were under Ferguson with Mourinho in charge on 17:13 - Aug 19 by ITFCBlues

Boo hoo. I have no sympathy for their lack of spending, they are the world's most marketed football club.

Man Utd not the same team as they were under Ferguson with Mourinho in charge on 17:42 - Aug 19 with 1534 viewsgordon

Man Utd not the same team as they were under Ferguson with Mourinho in charge on 17:15 - Aug 19 by Herbivore

Is there?

Edit: Just added it up and United's starting XI cost more than £50m more than City's starting XI. They are not paupers by any stretch of the imagination.
[Post edited 19 Aug 2018 17:29]

I have United's first eleven at £422 million, Man City at £384 million. City have a very expensive bench though too.
Man Utd not the same team as they were under Ferguson with Mourinho in charge on 17:43 - Aug 19 with 1532 viewspatrickswell

Man Utd not the same team as they were under Ferguson with Mourinho in charge on 16:56 - Aug 19 by ITFCBlues

But he did have to find a way to topple Mourhino’s use of Abramovich’s money which brought them titles in 2005 & 2006. To his credit, he did so and United won the title in 2007. Mourhino was sacked by Chelsea a few weeks into the following season.
Man Utd not the same team as they were under Ferguson with Mourinho in charge on 17:48 - Aug 19 with 1525 viewsHerbivore

Man Utd not the same team as they were under Ferguson with Mourinho in charge on 17:42 - Aug 19 by gordon

I have United's first eleven at £422 million, Man City at £384 million. City have a very expensive bench though too.

I used transfermarket, City came out at £400m and United at £456m. Either way, the notion that United's issue is falling behind others in terms of spending doesn't stand up to much scrutiny.

Man Utd not the same team as they were under Ferguson with Mourinho in charge on 18:08 - Aug 19 with 1483 viewsITFCBlues

Man Utd not the same team as they were under Ferguson with Mourinho in charge on 17:48 - Aug 19 by Herbivore

I used transfermarket, City came out at £400m and United at £456m. Either way, the notion that United's issue is falling behind others in terms of spending doesn't stand up to much scrutiny.

Partials I should’ve said the 18!

Either way, Pep inherited a much stronger core than what Jose did with the likes of KDB, Sterling, Fernandinho, Kompany, Silva and Aguero still key components to that side. Jose didn’t inherit anything like that.

Having said that, it’s no excuse for how poor they are now and how poorly he has spent the money he’s had.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024