Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
IFollow and Sky to kill midweek away attendances? 16:54 - Aug 20 with 3137 viewsSW_LondonBlue

Real mixed feelings about being able to watch town online for £10 or red button on Sky Sports (if you have the package). I will always try and watch us away where I can but if not possible I will definitely use IFollow online midweek this season. BUT

I'm really Interested to see how for us and other clubs how much attendances dwindle and whether it impacts performances.

If the club can generate more revenue from Ifollow (not sure what cut they get) I wonder if away ticket prices will reduce to get fans in.

[Post edited 20 Aug 2018 16:55]
IFollow and Sky to kill midweek away attendances? on 17:13 - Aug 20 with 3079 viewsRadlett_blue

Good point. Midweek games are a soft target as plenty of supporters can't get away from work to travel or can't be bothered.
I will watch the Sky coverage with interest tomorrow. As long as it's reasonable it would certainly deter me from making some trips to away games but I guess the overall impact won't really show up on attendances.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

IFollow and Sky to kill midweek away attendances? on 17:23 - Aug 20 with 3068 viewsBlue_Dwarf

Watching live under the flood lights atmosphere always seems far greater so hopefully won’t affect it but it inevitably will. Maybe it will force clubs to lower prices for evening games, then it is win win situation
IFollow and Sky to kill midweek away attendances? on 17:24 - Aug 20 with 3057 viewsdirtyboy

I think there's lots of factors to consider.

I for one don't get to games very often at all, so the ability to watch a midweek game will be good for me and i'm sure plenty of others who live more than 50 miles or so away.

I guess if we're actually seeing decent footy too, it's going to translate to more 'itching' to get along to home games on the Saturday.

Actually, thinking about it, could work in our favour, if I and many others see improved performances and wins online, we'll end up making more effort to get to games of that i'm sure.
IFollow and Sky to kill midweek away attendances? on 18:52 - Aug 20 with 2971 viewsGuthrum

IFollow and Sky to kill midweek away attendances? on 17:23 - Aug 20 by Blue_Dwarf

Watching live under the flood lights atmosphere always seems far greater so hopefully won’t affect it but it inevitably will. Maybe it will force clubs to lower prices for evening games, then it is win win situation

This. Altho I admit in a marginal call, as it is for me tomorrow (on time and money), it may swing me to go and watch it on the telly - but in a pub with other Town fans (just 60 miles closer to home).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

IFollow and Sky to kill midweek away attendances? on 21:04 - Aug 20 with 2889 viewsstrikalite

Ooo careful, I remember getting stick for saying streaming Town games live will effect away following and should be pulled, thankfully they've clamped down on streams, yep agree of course it will, especially anything over a couple of hours away, bound too...
IFollow and Sky to kill midweek away attendances? on 21:09 - Aug 20 with 2870 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I would think it will have little more effect than televising matches has done generally.

They are two different experiences. If I had a realistic chance to follow the club for evening away matches, the fact I could watch online instead would only really stop me if it was a match I was undecided about going to anyway.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

IFollow and Sky to kill midweek away attendances? on 21:20 - Aug 20 with 2813 viewsSwansea_Blue

IFollow and Sky to kill midweek away attendances? on 17:24 - Aug 20 by dirtyboy

I think there's lots of factors to consider.

I for one don't get to games very often at all, so the ability to watch a midweek game will be good for me and i'm sure plenty of others who live more than 50 miles or so away.

I guess if we're actually seeing decent footy too, it's going to translate to more 'itching' to get along to home games on the Saturday.

Actually, thinking about it, could work in our favour, if I and many others see improved performances and wins online, we'll end up making more effort to get to games of that i'm sure.

Fair point. The tv coverage might be a good advert if we’re playing good footie and getting results. I’m grateful for the coverage, but I’d never choose to stay home and watch on TV over attending live. TV coverage is just handy if it’s not practical to get to the game (which is quite often in my case). Can’t beat a live game under the lights.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

IFollow and Sky to kill midweek away attendances? on 22:38 - Aug 20 with 2730 viewshatch

I’m driving up tomorrow afternoon and probably back close to 1am with meetings from 9am Wednesday. It has definitely made me consider whether to sack it all off, and it would deter me in the future but it’s start of season, weather is good, we have a good record at pride park, usually a good atmosphere and nothing beats the real thing.

Now need to debate whether to do the same for Leeds away on a Wednesday.
Login to get fewer ads

IFollow and Sky to kill midweek away attendances? on 23:12 - Aug 20 with 2655 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

its a pre cursor to arm chair season tickets which will come in the next few years. Not sure these mid week championship games will make a huge difference as not that many fans travel huge distances for midweek games for practical reasons. if it hits home attendances it will could be problematic but see that its an experiment worth exploring.

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

IFollow and Sky to kill midweek away attendances? on 23:34 - Aug 20 with 2609 viewsNoCanariesAllowed

I've never quite understood the impact of televising games on attendances. I know it does make a difference, but for me personally, whether a game is on TV has no bearing on whether I decide to go. I generally decide weeks or even months in advance that I'm going to go to certain fixtures because I want the experience of attending that particular game, regardless of whether it gets chosen for TV or not.

Classic example: I was at the 'Noel Hunt' Charlton game because I hadn't been to The Valley for years and wanted to go back. Sky had no bearing on that decision. And I'm bloody glad they didn't!
[Post edited 20 Aug 2018 23:35]
IFollow and Sky to kill midweek away attendances? on 01:32 - Aug 21 with 2537 viewsStenvict

The fact the games are on Sky now makes me want to go even more. The players can't hear fans that are sitting on their sofa or are in the pub.

Poll: What will be announced first?

IFollow and Sky to kill midweek away attendances? on 11:10 - Aug 21 with 2375 viewsSamWhiteUK

Tweeted the club about this yesterday -

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024