Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Oshilaja - anyone seen him play. 12:29 - Aug 21 with 2857 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Have a massive concern if nothing else with his height for a central defender. 5ft 11 is vert small for a cb. In this division i would see that being a real issue. There are a few exceptional examples of course (cannivaro etc) but i'm not sure in the championship you can have a guy who is 5ft 11 and the back.

Perhaps he has an almighty leap on him though?

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Oshilaja - anyone seen him play. on 12:44 - Aug 21 with 2798 viewsMullet

Cannavaro was more like 5ft8 or something.

Wasn't CCV little taller but obviously built like two men in one shirt?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Oshilaja - anyone seen him play. on 12:48 - Aug 21 with 2775 viewsgeg1992

I was thinking the same. We lack physicality in other areas of the pitch, so I'd hope we would make up for it at CB. Tilt would be the obvious choice as believe he's 6ft 4, but that looks dead in the water.

Poll: Who would you play in place of Burns on Sunday?

Oshilaja - anyone seen him play. on 12:52 - Aug 21 with 2753 viewsnifty2000

James Chester is generally regarded as one of the best central defenders in the league...he’s also 5’11”

Poll: Who is the real proper bloke?

Oshilaja - anyone seen him play. on 12:59 - Aug 21 with 2721 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

There is a real over emphasis on height at the centre back position.

Over the course of 90 minutes, how many high crosses come into the box with such outstanding delivery that they are put exactly 8'4 off the ground as opposed to 8'0 and only a 6'4 player could reach them with a perfect jump, giving a slightly smaller opponent no chance?

You need to have awareness, positional sense, pace, strength, the ability to know what passes to play and when, knowing when to clear the ball and when you have time. A myriad of attributes. Height can also be an advantage but it's only really a factor when we are talking about perfect delivery that may come once or twice a game if that and that can be compensated for by timing your jump, positioning your body and reading the danger.

It can be part of the make up of a top centre half, but as I regularly tell Mrs WTW, don't worry about the lack of a few inches, one can still perform at the top level.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2018 13:17]

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Oshilaja - anyone seen him play. on 13:01 - Aug 21 with 2700 viewsReuser_is_God

What utter nonsense.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Oshilaja - anyone seen him play. on 15:48 - Aug 21 with 2460 viewssundaze

Oshilaja - anyone seen him play. on 13:01 - Aug 21 by Reuser_is_God

What utter nonsense.

Agreed. I find it amusing that people post that they are concerned about a player they know nothing about. If PH wants him here, he must have seen what he can bring to the team.
Perhaps Phil could make sure PH gets any "concerned " posts, and ask for a TWTD vote before he commits to any future deals.
Oshilaja - anyone seen him play. on 15:50 - Aug 21 with 2444 viewsNo9

Billy Baxter wasn't very tall but few outjumped him.
Oshilaja - anyone seen him play. on 16:14 - Aug 21 with 2359 viewsMuncher

Oshilaja - anyone seen him play. on 15:50 - Aug 21 by No9

Billy Baxter wasn't very tall but few outjumped him.

John Wark was also one of the best headers of the ball I have seen play and he's no more than 5'10"
Login to get fewer ads

Oshilaja - anyone seen him play. on 16:15 - Aug 21 with 2355 viewsWickets

Carter vickers is just 6ft i think so 1" taller.
Oshilaja - anyone seen him play. on 16:25 - Aug 21 with 2326 viewsVic

Oshilaja - anyone seen him play. on 16:15 - Aug 21 by Wickets

Carter vickers is just 6ft i think so 1" taller.

sorry to be pedantic but 5'11" v 6'1" - what's the difference again :)

I'd have thought his 'lack' of height would be more significant in the lower leagues where the high ball to the big centre forward is more prevalent. The higher the league, the less teams rely on the typical physical centre forward.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Oshilaja - anyone seen him play. on 16:49 - Aug 21 with 2252 viewsNthQldITFC

Oshilaja - anyone seen him play. on 12:48 - Aug 21 by geg1992

I was thinking the same. We lack physicality in other areas of the pitch, so I'd hope we would make up for it at CB. Tilt would be the obvious choice as believe he's 6ft 4, but that looks dead in the water.

I'm 5'10" and I dominated John Taylor in the air the two times I played against him - mind you it was a veterans team. Bu99er elbowed me in the teeth a couple of times as well. Only just discovered he was born in the six-fingered-city, that explains a few things.
Boast of the day.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Oshilaja - anyone seen him play. on 17:03 - Aug 21 with 2217 viewsPositivelyPortman

I think Beattie and Hunter were - in their prime - only 5ft 11in, and they weren’t too shabby were they?

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Oshilaja - anyone seen him play. on 17:20 - Aug 21 with 2166 viewsdirtyboy

Height never bothered Spud Webb....boy did that little f****r have some bounce.
Oshilaja - anyone seen him play. on 17:39 - Aug 21 with 2093 viewsbilllm

Oshilaja - anyone seen him play. on 12:59 - Aug 21 by WarkTheWarkITFC

There is a real over emphasis on height at the centre back position.

Over the course of 90 minutes, how many high crosses come into the box with such outstanding delivery that they are put exactly 8'4 off the ground as opposed to 8'0 and only a 6'4 player could reach them with a perfect jump, giving a slightly smaller opponent no chance?

You need to have awareness, positional sense, pace, strength, the ability to know what passes to play and when, knowing when to clear the ball and when you have time. A myriad of attributes. Height can also be an advantage but it's only really a factor when we are talking about perfect delivery that may come once or twice a game if that and that can be compensated for by timing your jump, positioning your body and reading the danger.

It can be part of the make up of a top centre half, but as I regularly tell Mrs WTW, don't worry about the lack of a few inches, one can still perform at the top level.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2018 13:17]

Is he another guy right footer,we really need a lefty
Oshilaja - anyone seen him play. on 18:31 - Aug 21 with 1982 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Oshilaja - anyone seen him play. on 15:48 - Aug 21 by sundaze

Agreed. I find it amusing that people post that they are concerned about a player they know nothing about. If PH wants him here, he must have seen what he can bring to the team.
Perhaps Phil could make sure PH gets any "concerned " posts, and ask for a TWTD vote before he commits to any future deals.

Umm wasnt my post a concern at his height and asking if anyone has seen him play to find out (and see if he had a good leap) etc. Very different to just saying no good without seeing someone. Was looking for some info.

Aa for previous "what utter rubbish" what an over the top and uncalled for reaction. There are very few top level centre backs under 6ft 2. For a reason. So its quite obviously not utter Rubbish.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Oshilaja - anyone seen him play. on 19:43 - Aug 21 with 1901 viewsdingus

No, but interestingly is not in the Wimbledon starting 11 tonight
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024