Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I don't agree we need two up front 22:40 - Aug 21 with 3239 viewsLuk38644

If you play Harrison and Jackson, who are you dropping? It makes us alot weaker in midfield which has been very imposing in the first four games. What we need is a lone striker who can bring others in to play. A new Daryl Murphy.

Hurst isn't going to change his well known philosophy after 4 games at a new club. I just think the personnel up top needs another option of an experienced striker who can change a game either from the bench or from the start and bring midfielders into the attack. Nothing stuck with Harrison tonight, Jackson is more of an 'on-the-shoulder' type centre-forward and it was even evident against Villa, a proper hold-up centre-forward is a huge asset in this league.
I don't agree we need two up front on 22:41 - Aug 21 with 3219 viewsSomethingBlue

We also need an effective player who can come in from the flank opposite Edwards — it's such an important position now and where many of the best players in the division are. I don't see that we have one and it adds to the problem.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

I don't agree we need two up front on 22:44 - Aug 21 with 3191 viewsjudespiveyg

It would have to be a midfielder who drops out, so one of Skuse of Chalobah would likely be dropped. I can't see Chalobah being dropped and he probably doesn't deserve to either.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

I don't agree we need two up front on 22:44 - Aug 21 with 3184 viewsLuk38644

I don't agree we need two up front on 22:41 - Aug 21 by SomethingBlue

We also need an effective player who can come in from the flank opposite Edwards — it's such an important position now and where many of the best players in the division are. I don't see that we have one and it adds to the problem.

Completely agree with that. Ward and Sears don't cut it. I'm really hoping Rowe can come in on that left side or Jackson gets a chance to make it his position.

I don't even think Edun provides that wide balance you need sometimes. Two out-and-out pacey wingers would be such a huge asset in our new system.
I don't agree we need two up front on 22:45 - Aug 21 with 3172 viewsportmanking

The problem is, Hurst has signed two strikers, neither of which are capable of playing the number nine role in the Championship. Why he was allowed to invest 2.5m on two strikers that don't fit his system is madness to me. As you say, Hurst's system is crying out for a Murphy to lead the line. Harrison and Jackson are both support strikers, although I do think the latter will come good.
I don't agree we need two up front on 22:45 - Aug 21 with 3168 viewsBluefish

So your suggestion is to drop Harrison and still not pick Jackson?

I thought much more stuck or was won by Harrison he played well he just had no one running in behind him which is the problem.

The answer could be the change formation and push Nolan into cm in a flat 442 or to play a diamond in midfield with Edun for ward. Chalobah is still learning the game so we are using skuse as cover but it is costing us as an attacking threat

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

I don't agree we need two up front on 22:45 - Aug 21 with 3169 viewsLuk38644

I don't agree we need two up front on 22:44 - Aug 21 by judespiveyg

It would have to be a midfielder who drops out, so one of Skuse of Chalobah would likely be dropped. I can't see Chalobah being dropped and he probably doesn't deserve to either.

The likely midfield would be Chalobah and Nolan. Not alot of experience in there and it would get over-run by the majority of teams.

To play two up top, you've got to sacrifice somewhere else and I don't think that's something we can afford to do atm.
I don't agree we need two up front on 22:46 - Aug 21 with 3168 viewsSomethingBlue

I don't agree we need two up front on 22:44 - Aug 21 by Luk38644

Completely agree with that. Ward and Sears don't cut it. I'm really hoping Rowe can come in on that left side or Jackson gets a chance to make it his position.

I don't even think Edun provides that wide balance you need sometimes. Two out-and-out pacey wingers would be such a huge asset in our new system.

Yes, or someone like Celina who could drift inside from wide into those little pockets and combine with others. In fact that's exactly the kind of player we don't have.

I don't agree we need two up front on 22:46 - Aug 21 with 3167 viewsBLUEBEAT

Don’t think either of those players are suitable as a sole striker.

Harrison doesn’t seem to be able to hold the ball up/use strength to power past defence/get on the end of any crosses.

Jackson may do well with nipping onto threaded passes but only Dozzell seems to do that regularly and he’ll be a bit-part player at best this season.

2 strikers to get on wingers crosses/knockdowns is more promising than getting in a big old lump who still won’t have any close support.

Poll: W or W

Login to get fewer ads

I don't agree we need two up front on 22:48 - Aug 21 with 3133 viewsEireannach_gorm

I see Kiefer scored a hat trick for Barnsley tonight.
I don't agree we need two up front on 22:50 - Aug 21 with 3116 viewsBluefish

I don't agree we need two up front on 22:46 - Aug 21 by SomethingBlue

Yes, or someone like Celina who could drift inside from wide into those little pockets and combine with others. In fact that's exactly the kind of player we don't have.

I wouldn't swap Edwards for Celina but I did say in my post match comments that I would like to see Edwards coming in more especially in a game like that. 2 wingers was a waste

I don't agree we need two up front on 22:55 - Aug 21 with 3092 viewsLuk38644

I don't agree we need two up front on 22:45 - Aug 21 by Bluefish

So your suggestion is to drop Harrison and still not pick Jackson?

I thought much more stuck or was won by Harrison he played well he just had no one running in behind him which is the problem.

The answer could be the change formation and push Nolan into cm in a flat 442 or to play a diamond in midfield with Edun for ward. Chalobah is still learning the game so we are using skuse as cover but it is costing us as an attacking threat

It's fine margins, and I do think some of it comes down to the central midfield behind Harrison. Nolan needs someone next to him that's also going to attack the box, someone like Huws or Dozzell. I'm aware they aren't fit atm so don't expect them to be playing but I think if you have two players looking to supply Harrison, he has alot more options going forward.

That said, I used to love watching us look for a direct pass from the back (on the floor) into Murphy, he'd hold the ball and wait for midfielders to get around him and go from there. I haven't seen that from Harrison yet, although it's only been four games, and it comes back to patience.

Even if we got an experienced CF that can hold the ball but utilised him off the bench, it's better than what we're doing now which is like-for-like.
I don't agree we need two up front on 22:56 - Aug 21 with 3089 viewsSomethingBlue

I don't agree we need two up front on 22:50 - Aug 21 by Bluefish

I wouldn't swap Edwards for Celina but I did say in my post match comments that I would like to see Edwards coming in more especially in a game like that. 2 wingers was a waste

No need to swap them — you'd have a pure winger like Edwards on one side and an inverted one like Celina on the other. It's exactly what we need and don't have.

I don't agree we need two up front on 22:58 - Aug 21 with 3052 viewsBLUEBEAT

I don't agree we need two up front on 22:56 - Aug 21 by SomethingBlue

No need to swap them — you'd have a pure winger like Edwards on one side and an inverted one like Celina on the other. It's exactly what we need and don't have.

Maybe Rowe will get a chance, especially after his U23 hat-trick yesterday.

Poll: W or W

I don't agree we need two up front on 22:59 - Aug 21 with 3051 viewsLuk38644

I don't agree we need two up front on 22:56 - Aug 21 by SomethingBlue

Dare I say it, a Tom Lawrence on the left.
I don't agree we need two up front on 23:00 - Aug 21 with 3043 views2-5-7

I don't agree we need two up front on 22:55 - Aug 21 by Luk38644

It's fine margins, and I do think some of it comes down to the central midfield behind Harrison. Nolan needs someone next to him that's also going to attack the box, someone like Huws or Dozzell. I'm aware they aren't fit atm so don't expect them to be playing but I think if you have two players looking to supply Harrison, he has alot more options going forward.

That said, I used to love watching us look for a direct pass from the back (on the floor) into Murphy, he'd hold the ball and wait for midfielders to get around him and go from there. I haven't seen that from Harrison yet, although it's only been four games, and it comes back to patience.

Even if we got an experienced CF that can hold the ball but utilised him off the bench, it's better than what we're doing now which is like-for-like.

Right now Skuse as the holding player in a four. Best around stats wise in league so why bother changing. Mix of just about anyone of the glut we have in front as long as they turn and head forward wide and cross or play to feet of top toe. Attack on front foot is what we’ve actually been missing for a while. Can see we still have stability. Just get pressing.
I don't agree we need two up front on 23:05 - Aug 21 with 3017 views2-5-7

I don't agree we need two up front on 23:00 - Aug 21 by 2-5-7

Right now Skuse as the holding player in a four. Best around stats wise in league so why bother changing. Mix of just about anyone of the glut we have in front as long as they turn and head forward wide and cross or play to feet of top toe. Attack on front foot is what we’ve actually been missing for a while. Can see we still have stability. Just get pressing.

Part of the reason we did well against Villa with 10 was that we didn’t really need to change very much. Seems we are playing that way with 11 regardless. Stepchange wasnt massive tatically but spirit remains as underlying positive. Maybe it’s a cunning plan that Hurst is weeding out the game plan and players early doors?! Get more attacking all of a sudden and we will frighten the league and rise swiftly as an aggressive unit. Just a thought.
I don't agree we need two up front on 23:10 - Aug 21 with 3002 viewsBluefish

I don't agree we need two up front on 22:59 - Aug 21 by Luk38644

Dare I say it, a Tom Lawrence on the left.

We don't want a Lawrence or a Celina, They are both a liability. Let Edun do the left and tuck in so Edwards and Nolan can be freed up to get forward. Even better get huws, bishop and Dozzell fit so we can keep the ball and create

I don't agree we need two up front on 23:25 - Aug 21 with 2935 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

How far can you go without your no.9 not scoring a goal. Its not even like they're missing chances, they're not even getting chances.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

I don't agree we need two up front on 01:04 - Aug 22 with 2784 viewsGuthrum

The problem is partly that the striker isn't actually playing that position. Too often Harrison (and Jackson, after they swapped) was drawn into midfield or out wide, playing the creative role. That meant there was no spare player left over to actually score the goal.

The actual midfielders were not coming far enough forward to either do the sharp-end creative stuff (leaving the striker to do his job), or to take advantage of opportunities created. We need either Nolan to push up further or to have a second striker and lose someone out of the centre.

If we can't score, we always leave ourselves vulnerable to losing through a freak goal or two (against the run of play).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024